You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zarenno

Radar Mod Nerf & Other ST. Balance Changes

85 comments in this topic

[DOMN8]
Members
151 posts
7,872 battles

image.thumb.png.95c79e1368dcb2107b1bde24f91ccfa1.png 

I think that the radar modules 40% duration increase was balanced because it brought a lot more usefulness to cruisers with short radar and made my Des Moines radar more effective. I play mainly cruisers and destroyers and even when the enemy team had 4, 5, and even 6 radars it did not affect me in my 8km torpedo shima. Why didn't affect me? The key to being a good destroyer player is knowing Murphy's law that "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong." This means that you plan an escape in case someone pops a radar or you run into 2 or 2 destroyers in short range. If you don't want to improve, don't go crying on the forums about "RADAR RADAR" -I feel that a change to the module in this way will definitely cut the effectiveness of such a rare module, and mainly hurt the precious Russian line and radar using destroyers the most. 

This is just my 2 cents because I absolutely enjoy my 56s Des Moines radar and I see no problem with it. 

Spoiler

I have 370 shima games and 67% WR with an average damage of 78k, now you tell me how effective all this radar has been to my 8km torps?

Edited by Zarenno
  • Cool 5

[SBS]
Members
4,275 posts
2,408 battles

I'm not surprised to see the radar mod nerf.  I like the looks of all the changes development blog post.  I know there will be some disappointed Groz that were licking their lips at straight up buffs and repair party. 

3 minutes ago, Zarenno said:

I think that the radar modules 40% duration increase was balanced because it brought a lot more usefulness to cruisers with short radar and made my Des Moines radar more effective.

I always thought the mod was wasted on the DM because you pretty never get a chance to shoot at a DD for more they 20-30 seconds before they are out of range.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,938 posts
4,265 battles
20 minutes ago, Zarenno said:

This is just my 2 cents because I absolutely enjoy my 56s Des Moines radar and I see no problem with it. 

Reveal hidden contents

I have 370 shima games and 67% WR with an average damage of 78k, now you tell me how effective all this radar has been to my 8km torps?

Clearly there is a problem with it, or else it would not of gotten nerfed. 

Even then, its a 8 second nerf.. If you are as good as you say you are that won't change much for you. 

[DOMN8]
Members
151 posts
7,872 battles
Just now, Slimeball91 said:

I'm not surprised to see the radar mod nerf.  I like the looks of all the changes development blog post.  I know there will be some disappointed Groz that were licking their lips at straight up buffs and repair party. 

I always thought the mod was wasted on the DM because you pretty never get a chance to shoot at a DD for more they 20-30 seconds before they are out of range.

Cap control, I could sit at my café in peace while it was running :)

[DOMN8]
Members
151 posts
7,872 battles
Just now, Cobraclutch said:

Even then, its a 8 second nerf.. If you are as good as you say you are that won't change much for you. 

Every second counts, if you pop it too early and just barely catch someone entering the cap on the last 10s...

[CRMSN]
5,938 posts
4,265 battles
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

The slot itself was always the issue, even if the bonus was 10% it would still be worth it in that slot. 

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,141 battles

I read this as the radar mod on the Cossack is being nerfed. You'll notice in the "Development Blog" that it has 2 ships mentioned i.e. The Cossack and The Grozovoi and under each a list of changes. The Cossack has Radar Mod 1 listed as being an option and then under that it states the changes to radar.

I could be wrong but that's certainly how I read it!

Edited by Bravo4zero

Members
256 posts
7,842 battles
9 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

I think devs spend too much time worrying about what the small percentage of players that make their way to the forum to complain. are saying....

happens in every game and is probably one of the leading causes of imbalance....the squeaky wheels get the most grease.

Yesterday there was no shortage of 4 dd per side games....even a couple 5 per side.

Clearly the payerbase isnt as worried about radar as the vocal minority on the forums are.

you cant balance the game based on what the small percentage of unicums will do with it.......radar in the average players hand is fine.

Now when are they going to nerf spotting plane range....since you can pretty much be perma spotted now and you cant even see the plane thats doing it.....

Edited by MokrieDela
  • Cool 4

[CRMSN]
5,938 posts
4,265 battles
1 minute ago, MokrieDela said:

I think devs spend too much time worrying about what the small percentage of players that make their way to the forum to complain. are saying....

happens in every game and is probably one of the leading causes of imbalance....the squeaky wheels get the most grease.

I think the devs have much more data and statistics that we never see which allows them to make such decisions.  Like for example the Damage received vs class that we saw once and that was never seen again. 

If your theory was true Radar would of been nerfed long ago, IJN DD's would have .5km detection radius on their torpedoes with 5km detection rating on Shima,  OWSF would of never been removed  and HE would never do damage to a BB. 

I actually would think the opposite of your post, that they dont really take into account much of the  minor feedback on the forums. 

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,794 battles
20 hours ago, MokrieDela said:

Yesterday there was no shortage of 4 dd per side games....even a couple 5 per side.

Stats show DD play is way down, but I guess you think we should instead take your [edited] evidence?

20 hours ago, MokrieDela said:

Clearly the payerbase isnt as worried about radar as the vocal minority on the forums are.

Well, most don't post on the forums, they just quit.

• Cool 2

Members
256 posts
7,842 battles
Just now, Lensar said:

Stats show DD play is way down, but I guess you think we should instead take your anecdotal evidence?

I stopped playing my Kagero purely based on everyone elses fear....not based on my own experiences..

When I started playing it again I had some pretty good games, even came in top 3 a couple times.

[DOMN8]
Members
151 posts
7,872 battles
3 minutes ago, Lensar said:

Stats show DD play is way down, but I guess you think we should instead take your anecdotal evidence?

Most people will never check the forums, and they will continue to play the game. It doesn't mean they have quit- If we could see the stats on account retention I can almost guarantee that most people would leave after reaching tier 5 because of what a nightmare that tier is for new players. 

On DD play- I have been spamming my shima and chung mu ever since the update, and even with 4 or 5 radars per side it doesn't matter if you always have a plan of escape. (IMO- The more radars per team the better, I find the the team that has more plays a lot more recklessly and rely on their radar too much, resulting in high damage games because radar cant spot torps.)

Members
1,242 posts
5,495 battles
23 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Or dead. :Smile_teethhappy:

[SBS]
Members
4,275 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, MokrieDela said:

the squeaky wheels get the most grease.

In the case of the radar mod nerf I believe you are right.  However, I have little doubt that WG looked at the numbers and saw the 40% increase gave a negligible increase to radar efficiency, so the nerf was in all likelihood a token gesture. 

Just now, Lensar said:

I don't think that's a completely fair way to say it.  Games played are up in all ships types, including DDs.  The percentage of DDs games has decreased while cruisers have doubled. 

Just now, Psicopro said:

Or dead. :Smile_teethhappy:

Radar doesn't penetrate the water so sunk is out of range.:Smile-_tongue:     

[VNES]
Members
456 posts
7,215 battles

Only 8sec nerf though... And look someone is already crying :cap_wander:

#DDLivesMatter

• Cool 1

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,794 battles
Just now, l1nv5 said:

Only 8sec nerf though... And look someone is already crying :cap_wander:

No kidding. It's mind boggling.

[SYN]
Members
3,473 posts
17,188 battles

IMO - they should increase radar duration but make it line of sight.   You can use it to push out and have plenty of time to sink the DDs but you have to run the risk of being targeted by all and sundry

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,141 battles

I still think you are all misreading the Development Blog. The radar changes are referring to the the Cossack radar mod1

[O_O]
Beta Testers
95 posts
8,786 battles
3 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

I still think you are all misreading the Development Blog. The radar changes are referring to the the Cossack radar mod1

That's the way I took it as well.

[-AA-]
Members
1,757 posts
6,674 battles

Hey, a radar nerf! Great! 

I still have my doubts regarding nerfing the upgrade instead of the consumable itself. On the other hand it is a step in the right direction for sure.
I still hope they'd nerf the tier 10 US radar to 35 seconds. Even a scrub like me can get good stats in a DM.

EDIT: Or make it not go through land...

Edited by LemonadeWarrior
  • Boring 1

[SBS]
Members
4,275 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, Bravo4zero said:

Maybe, but I don't think Cossack has radar (it has hydro).

Members
5,202 posts
16 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

12 minutes ago, Devildog23 said:

That's the way I took it as well.

"...too effective on radar equipped SHIPS." 

Cossack is a singular ship, and it doesn't have radar in the first place. 

• Cool 2