You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WES_HoundDog

Development decisions discussion

36 comments in this topic

Members
517 posts
8,832 battles

Since any game live or dies based on it's players and players enjoyment let us players discuss the development decisions made to improve this game over the last year and a half.  What content or "improvements" do you like and what do you feel has hurt the game.

How do you feel about the direction of the game with changes including but not limited to things like>

-HE taking over the game.

-Commander skill changes.

-Lowering of citadels on numerous BB's

-Premium CV's

-AP Bombs

-smoking cruisers

-radar

-Clans

-Battleships devoted to firing HE and massive heals.

-Battleships with nearly invulnerable citadels.

-power creep

My opinion is that everyone of those changes above aside from Clans (that i don't participate in) has had a negative impact to the enjoyment of the game.   Commander skill changes were initially well received but looking back at it.   The difference between the players with certain abilities and those without is a major influence on the performance of the ship.  This only serves to alienate new players and destroy game play enjoyment for them.  I feel many if not all of these abilities should have levels, 3 if not 5 levels of improvement, that way it lessens the performance difference from where your ship sucks without something and is overpowered with it.  

I know there are many improvements including ship lines released, smoke circles and removal of stealth firing but you remember the negatives so much more.   Bring up what you've liked and what you don't like.  This can only help the development team understand what they players want and like and hopefully leads to improved advancement of the game.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,702 posts
611 battles

Buoyancy mechanic and original aiming system. Bring them back. 

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,757 posts
6,674 battles

HE taking over the game
HE has always been there, together with fires. As a result they added / improved the Fire Prevention skill, which is a really good skill now. They also cut down the burning time for cruisers and destroyers.
When looking at the new line of ships I think the US CL line is well balanced, at least when looking at the Cleveland. They are weak and strong at the same time, it just depends on who is making the terms. Also lets not forget that they removed stealth firing. 
So I think you feel like HE took over the game, but it has always been there. Instead they nerfed several things to make it less powerful than before. So no, I don't believe it took over the game. I believe it has always been there and that it is better than it used to be.

Lowering of citadels on numerous BB's
I was used to the old Montana and I liked being able to punish people who still had to sail broadside in the higher tiers. I am still having some mixed feelings about this. Why can BBs sail broadside for days, while cruisers can thank RNG for surviving that first BB salvo. I still think punishment is too low for most high tier BBs currently. I'd rather see battleships losing the dispersion boost they get with their camouflages as a start.
It is good that they can survive longer and do their job more easier now. Though having unlucky RNG vs a broadside cruiser you still often deplete 25% of their HP, while for a battleship it is around 10%. Getting rid of that unlucky RNG vs BBs should boost that number to around a more steady 20%.

Premium CVs
They are working on CVs in general. I also think it is a waste of time to work on premium carriers while reworking the CV model. On the other hand I don't understand what they are doing so it might as well not matter. 

AP Bombs
I am personally not happy with the current AA mechanics. Some ships have uber AA and others don't, while coming across a CV is also very situational. I would prefer to handling AA guns myself, so that I can even kill planes with crap AA. Make manual AA possible so that it is better than auto AA and make auto AA less good. This will add a new level of difficulty, but for those who don't want this can still have their automatic AA.
So regarding the AP bombs / CVs I really don't care. It is just a boring RNG game and I'll happily get sunken asap so that I can join the next game.

Smoking cruisers
They can be easily dealt with by using torpedoes, radar or Aslains mod. I still think it is unfair that WG allows the mod, but doesn't add this one to the game, because it is adding a serious advantage to those who use this modification. Yes, I am talking about the x on the mini map. This modification should not be allowed imo.
Also don't forget about the changes to the smoke mechanics. This was a really good thing for the game!

Radar
I like that they have added radar to the game. I personally would like to see WG testing radar not going through land to see how it affects the game. Currently you see cruisers sitting behind an island to scout (they are wizards, trust me) while BBs are doing the dirty work. WG is currently looking into the AP vs DD damage, so this also might affect the way cruisers are dealing with DDs now. Since after that new mechanic BBs won't be that effective any more vs DDs, this will mean that being a wizard will be a waste of your radar consumable. So yea, lets wait for those new mechanics.

Clans
Good to see it finally arrived. I am happy for those who enjoy it. I have played too little CWs to say something about this.

Battleships devoted to firing HE and massive heals
I think we all know how much fun this is to fight against. I think those ships could use a nice citadel "buff" so that it gets similar to the Yamato. Perhaps I am mistaken, but their only weak point is focus fire and torpedoes, which is basically the same for all battleships. Anyhow, I think they made the game less fun.

Battleships with nearly invulnerable citadels
See what I mentioned earlier on.

Power Creep
I dunno, I mainly play tier 7 - 10 and I think those are balanced pretty okay. I think the step between tier 89 and 10 is too big, but that is not really what you mean. Izumo deserves a buff / rework, but as someone being only in the mid 20s I am not sure if I will live long enough to see this happen.

Overall
Overall I think the game improved a lot. I think the game would benefit from more team play consumables. Radar does a great job as in team play, but I think being able to extinguish fires on friendlies would be a nice addition. I would prefer DDs be given this consumable. Also really looking forward to the new ship lines. I already do like the way Italian cruisers are being played.
As Kongo_Pride mentioned a few days ago it would be great to see Tips being displayed. At last I hope they will make planes less RNG than it is now.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,148 posts
4,605 battles
1 hour ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Since any game live or dies based on it's players and players enjoyment let us players discuss the development decisions made to improve this game over the last year and a half.  What content or "improvements" do you like and what do you feel has hurt the game.

How do you feel about the direction of the game with changes including but not limited to things like>

-Premium CV's

-AP Bombs

-smoking cruisers

-radar

-Clans

-power creep

HE took over because of the bow on meta. If you don't want to be HE spammed moving is probably a good way out.

Commander skill choice Imo is poor at best. Some skills are so good that they're taken 99% of the time cough cough* CE

Battleship citadels have been low for awhile it's not new. A part of me says if they didn't get punished as hard maybe they would push....obviously that's now how reality works. It's honestly dumb. A design for the lowest common denominator.

Prem CVs have so far been astoundingly OP. But I have a feeling the rework will knock that down a peg.

AP bombs are a tad overturned ATM the USN ones aren't so bad but the GZ ones are dumb. Balanced by the players, so of course it's the noob carrier of choice.

The cruisers that have smoke need it to survive, and it's made mostly irrelevant by radar. Fine as is.

Radar is absolutely unbalancing the game and WG don't see it as an issue. It is extremely overpowered as a consumable and responses for countering it boil down to " don't play the game for the next minute". Simple balance would be to alter it to not see through islands. Right now the play style around the ships has to change.or something needs to be done about the saturation.

Clans are headed in a good direction. More changes soon.

The conqueror is fine statistically (technically performing worst among BBS), and punishes [edited] sitting bow on.

"Muh battleship"

Has been brutal...

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,702 posts
611 battles
1 minute ago, Hanger_18 said:

A design for the lowest common denominator.

I mean, to be fair, some BBs may have had their citadels lowered (because they were modeled incorrectly), but DDs had theirs removed entirely, so..

[_-_]
Members
2,114 posts

I don't want to start any arguments over specifics, but I think over all the changes have provided more variety and opened new possibilities for strategy and tactics,

Being a seriously biased cruiser guy (disclaimer: I do play German BB on EU server) most of the mechanic stuff seems designed to:

1. Makes BB more survivable in BB v. BB matches, thus extending engagement time. More/better shots required for kills.

2. Radar and smoke on cruisers serves to give the cruisers a fighting chance to stay alive long enough to spot for...guess who?...the battleships. There are exceptions, of course, like the Atlanta, Kutuzov, and Mino machine-gun meta, but those are unique botes. Worcester will likely play like a Mino/DM hatef*ck, using island hugging instead of smoke to spray fire everywhere.

3. I always thought AP bombs were a corollary to the Crap Zeppelin disaster. Big negative.

4. CV's in general: no opinion, don't care. Merely a nuisance to my AA cruisers. But that's just me.

5. Clans are a good thing IMO, and from what I saw in PT, the arsenal feature is gonna be pretty cool too.

6. Power creep is a thing. Tech tree Tier 8 is painful beyond words now. Even the Kutuzovs and New Improved Prinz Eugens are having a very rough go of it.  Makes for a real challenge on the one hand, but can be soul-crushing on the other. The new Russian Battle Cruisers will make it worse.

Overall, I'd say the outcome is generally positive. Except for Crap Zeppelin.

Did I mention I hate the Crap Zeppelin? LOL :cap_popcorn:

Edited by TF77
Syntax
  • Cool 1

[0O0O0]
Members
139 posts
21 battles

Game is old. Game needs a new engine. As Beautiful as you think this game is it it light years behind everything else.

• Boring 2

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,537 posts
7,558 battles
2 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

I mean, to be fair, some BBs may have had their citadels lowered (because they were modeled incorrectly), but DDs had theirs removed entirely, so..

Given the way how shells work, it would turn DDs into Dev Strikes for basically any Cruiser that looks at them if they had citadels.

Let‘s take the Montana for example, if a Montana angled well it could bounce (except for Yamato at that time) and shatter the shells, minimizing the damage. The increased citadel had little impact onto the gameplay, only when it showed too much side or got flanked it would get citadel‘ed into oblivion.

Now imagine a Shinakaze with a citadel. The hull has 19mm armor, so any HE shell fired by most DDs and all Cruisers would deal full damage. Regardless of angling. And dodging would be difficult given the arcs and reload speed. A single Hindenburg HE salvo would be enough to nuke any DD in the game reliably.

[YORHA]
Members
4,201 posts
7,376 battles

This just may turn out to be the whine thread to end all whine threads.  

Nah.

• Funny 2

[BSL]
Members
990 posts
16,285 battles

AP bombs.  When your ship has AA rating of 100, you're turning full speed and you still get pegged for half your HP in a BB, something is wrong.

• Cool 3

[TNG-2]
Beta Testers
4,294 posts
8,737 battles
5 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

-Premium CV's

-AP Bombs

-smoking cruisers

-radar

-Clans

-Power creep

-HE taking over the game. Required for game balance.

-Commander skill changes. Still has skills which impact the game too much and end up being mandatory for multiple meta builds. More work needs to be done and certain skills need to be removed or reworked.

-Lowering of citadels on numerous BB's. A bad move. All BB citadels should be raised to old Iowa height, without exceptions.

-Premium CV's. Won't be left out of the CV rework as far as it's been speculated, so as all CVs they're subject to change.

-AP Bombs. American ones are fine, but GZ ones are an insult.

-Smoking cruisers. Not hard to pick them off in their own smokes if you're a good player, I don't see a problem with certain cruisers having been balanced around having smoke.

-Radar. Played a lot of DDs recently in this USN Cruiser Radar craze and I think the complains are being exaggerated.

-Clans. I like being part of a clan that has an active community, friendly members and space for both competitive and casual players alike. As for clan wars, I had no time for them last time so I can't opine.

-Battleships devoted to firing HE and massive heals. I'm not a big fan of the British BBs, but as much as they can be an annoyance, it's still possible to play around and win against them.

-Battleships with nearly invulnerable citadels. As stated above, I wish all BBs had citadels as vulnerable as old Iowa: show broadside, take heaps of damage.

-Power creep. I don't have an opinion on this. On one hand it can be tricky to be facing some of the newer ships when you're playing certain older ones that aged poorly as the game progressed, but that challenge is something that adds to my personal enjoyment.

I think players spend too much time complaining though, that time would be better spent getting better and improving at the game. Lots of the people I see whine the loudest are actually people who are simply unable to play this game well, blaming numerous reasons for their own shortcomings.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
15,604 battles

What BB's are you guys playing who keep saying show broadside and you should be punished like that doesn't happen right now? Other than BRN, KM, and Nikolai with near immune citadels what BB's that sails broadside don't get massively punished? US BB do,  IJN BB do, French BB do, Roma does, Okt Rev does, etc... And frankly if people shoot properly at a broadside BRN or KM  BB, or Nikolai, you can wrack up massive regular pen damage salvos. BB's get punished for sailing broadside just fine right now. I think what some of you want is not to be "punished" but rather utterly wrecked and sunk by any ship shooting it. Not realistic (unless another BB shooting it) and frankly that even goes outside of game balance. BB's are supposed to be the toughest ships and to be able to take damage. BB's that sail broadside to other BB's get pummeled right now. And it isn't always a potato doing it. You can't always angle to every ship. BB's take enough damage now from torps and HE spam. Good lord what do you want, DD armor?

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[TNG-2]
Beta Testers
4,294 posts
8,737 battles
7 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

What BB's are you guys playing who keep saying show broadside and you should be punished like that doesn't happen right now? Other than BRN, KM, and Nikolai with near immune citadels what BB's that sails broadside don't get massively punished? US BB do,  IJN BB do, French BB do, Roma does, Okt Rev does, etc... And frankly if people shoot properly at a broadside BRN or KM  BB, or Nikolai, you can wrack up massive regular pen damage salvos. BB's get punished for sailing broadside just fine right now. I think what some of you want is not to be "punished" but rather utterly wrecked and sunk by any ship shooting it. Not realistic (unless another BB shooting it) and frankly that even goes outside of game balance. BB's are supposed to be the toughest ships and to be able to take damage. BB's that sail broadside to other BB's get pummeled right now. And it isn't always a potato doing it. You can't always angle to every ship. BB's take enough damage now from torps and HE spam. Good lord what do you want, DD armor?

For my post above, it's just an opinion on what I think would be more fun for me as asked by the OP. I personally always found the way hitting citadels worked before USN T9/T10 citadels were lowered were the way the BB vs BB engagement should be throughout the whole game and across all nations. They won't go back to being that way because most of the players would never want that back -- however to me the way it worked was ideal. That's not to say they're not vulnerable when broadside, and yes they can be cit as opposed to what the OP implies, but being able to heal 50% full pens instead of punishing 10% citadels is pretty forgiving in my opinion.

Edited by Woofship

Members
2,930 posts
1,365 battles
6 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

-Premium CV's

-AP Bombs

-smoking cruisers

-radar

-Clans

-power creep

My opinion is that everyone of those changes above aside from Clans (that i don't participate in) has had a negative impact to the enjoyment of the game.   Commander skill changes were initially well received but looking back at it.   The difference between the players with certain abilities and those without is a major influence on the performance of the ship.  This only serves to alienate new players and destroy game play enjoyment for them.  I feel many if not all of these abilities should have levels, 3 if not 5 levels of improvement, that way it lessens the performance difference from where your ship sucks without something and is overpowered with it.  

I know there are many improvements including ship lines released, smoke circles and removal of stealth firing but you remember the negatives so much more.   Bring up what you've liked and what you don't like.  This can only help the development team understand what they players want and like and hopefully leads to improved advancement of the game.

I cant stand the HE taking over the game.  You people claim its a game about 'skill' and 'tactics', but then add in a mechanic that is just 'spam brainlessly for heaps of damage', and then tout that as skill.  Naw, its just cheap, cheesy, skill less [edited] that does nothing but ruin in the overall experience within the game.  HE and fires is fine as a feature, but the current implementation of it is just completely over done, broke and OP as hell.  Sure, let little guys hurt BBs, but FFS, not to the degree the HE and fires do now.  I've made write ups on how id change it, but yeah, its stupid at the moment.

I feel commanders are pretty useless overall.  Alot of the skills dont make that huge of an impact overall... 

Lowered BB citadels is fine.  You want the game to leave the camping, bow on BB, then remove or reduce the citadel [edited] across the board, and I dont mean just BBs.  Citadel hits are over done in this game.  Cit hits, like HE, gives the game way to much of a 'yay, I got lucky' and gives a very cheap shot feel to the game.  Its not a very accomplished feeling when RNG just says "DIE" and you delete a ship from 30km cuz RNG said so.  Meanwhile,  other games you put 6 broadsides into a broadside cruiser from 5km and RNG says no....id MUCH prefer more consistent, but lower damage, requiring focus fire and teamwork, over the lucky 1 shot....

Premie CVs, I got nothing here....

If they are basically RNG Cit hunters, like ive heard they are, then that would basically put them in the same boat with cit hits for me.  Just cheap crapin a pitiful attempt to 'balance' BBs. 

HE Spamming BBs?  Yeah, thats probably the most retarded decision WG has made since the Obj 268-4. 

At the end of the day, I dislike and cant stand more features in this game they I can handle, so I just dont even bother playing anymore.  I wish they would change in a meaningful way, but they wont.  Cool game in it's concept, but to many of the gimmicky, skill less features have come to the fore front and it just makes for a terrible experience.

Edited by KnightFandragon
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
15,604 battles

HE is too powerful right now. Fire % needs to be lowered across the board. Especially on BB's. Cruiser's and DD's need it to fight BB's and I am not saying remove it but it is out of control right now. It is too easy to set fires. Maybe give the HE a little more raw damage but ease up on the BBQ all the time.

I don't see any issue with the current skills? If anything add more options.

No problem here. This was something that needed to be done. When a CA can multiple citadel and wreck a BB with ease as was the case prior to the US Citadels being lowered in the higher tiers something is out of balance. The US BB's that had their citadels lowered can still easily be citadeled by other BB's and at times CA's. This was a good thing. IF you can't citadel a broadside US BB, IJN BB, French BB, Roma, or Okt Rev with another BB (or even CA's at times) you are the problem not the game.

-Premium CV's

No problem with CV's in general. That is what AA builds/consumables are for. CV's were the most powerful ships afloat by the end of WW2. They should be strong in game. See no issue here be it tech tree or premium?

-AP Bombs

THESE are a bit on the OP side. Damage done needs to be toned down a hair.

-smoking cruisers

The Cruisers with smoke need it to survive. There are plenty of in game mechanics to counter it as well as tactics you can employ. No issue here at all. Especially since the smoke nerf a while back.

-radar

I don't have any issue with it personally. Just another aspect of the game you deal with. I don't get all the consternation over it.

-Clans

Like parts of it and dislike other parts. Overall a good thing.

The BRN BB's national gimmick of HE spamming is an abomination. It has greatly contributed to a lowering of overall BB play (people now use HE all the time from all BB's - makes you want to reach into the screen to slap the stupid off them) and also just general game enjoyment. It has also contributed to the passive, camping/sniping, BB meta so many detest. Why push up and fight like a BB and wreck stuff with your AP and risk scratching your pretty camo? Just sit at max range and spam HE like a Cruiser and get your damage (ineffectual) and who cares if the team suffers as a result. You got your 100K+ damage even if a ton of it can healed back.

I actually don't have a big issue with the heals part. BRN BB's have the lowest HP of the BB's at their tier as a rule so they need more healable health. However, not if their gimmick is to play like a big [edited]Cruiser and spam HE from range. You don't need a super heal for that. 

Leave the heals but drastically neuter not only BRN BB's HE but all BB HE and make it so BB's are using AP as they should as the primary load in all nations. It is what a BB should do. If BRN BB's are going to have to push up and fight then they will need the heals as they have such low health. Maybe not Lazarus rising from the dead heals like they have but good ones.

BRN and KM are really the only 2 lines with hard to hit citadels. KM due to the armor scheme and BRN due to location. KM BB's can be citadeled if the angle or range is right but it is hard due to the turtleback armor. But, while that armor protects the citadel well they take regular pen damage like a sponge soaking up water. Just change your aim point on KM BB's from waterline to the line where the hull meets the deck (or just below it) and you will do massive damage to them even without citadel hits. BRN BB's are a similar situation. Raise your aim up and wreck them with big regular pen damage salvos. As far as other nations they can all be citadeled if they show too much side. Just because a Light Cruiser can't do it with small caliber guns doesn't mean the citadels are too hard to hit. US, IJN, French, Roma, and Okt Rev all can reliably be citadeled by other BB's if too much side is shown and you aim right (and of course RNG cooperates). Even CA's with AP can citadel BB's under the right situation.

Overall the citadel situation is fine. For most  BB's they are vulnerable and for the ones they are not just shoot a different area and wrack up the damage there.

-power creep

It does seem as if the 2 original lines have been power creeped. As new features and ship lines are added WG needs to be more aware of balance with how the old ships work with the new. In general things are pretty good in the game but there are some areas where power creep is an issue.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[H_]
Members
2,186 posts

I am a newer player and unfortunately,  have been playing naval games since Harpoon: decades ago.  So, what I like may be radically different than others: please, take no offense.

HE Spam:  is very close to being absolutely stupid.  In reality, this simply is technically impossible to do all game long....  But, and a big but, the meta phase is receding a bit of late and now there are only 4 CA/CL's on a side and we're seeing DD's again.  It's hard for new players to cope with this mechanic because they don't have the CPT points to allow for FS and the basics they should be picking for CPT skills.  I've not yet had the opportunity to get beyond a 16 pt CPT.

Radar:  first off, IJN had radar in 1943 and DD had it: to those who seem to think radar is only an allied side tool?  Radar is OK because it was used in WW2 BUT, and another big butt, radar wasn't all that effective....  What we are seeing is Vietnam era radar in a WW2 environment and that, is what is causing game play in-balance to the point some players are simply not engaging or, in the cases I personally have witnessed, DD CPT's aren't using Tier 8 through 10 DD's anymore....  I don't use my IJN tier 8-10's that I ground for weeks to own....  Radar has made them cost ineffective.....  Why lose money every match because radar has closed down a camped cap all game long.....and, there's no way in or effectively near???

Commander skill:  WAY TOO LONG to get to 19....  I've been in game since Feb of this year and have been playing a lot.   16 is as high as I've gotten and 19 is not even possible....  I've clan mates that have been here since inception that don't have 19's and will never have 19's?  That is a broken process. 

This is a fun game and for the most part, has good players whom are civil and decent and I appreciate that....  I don't want "free" advancements.....but, I want achievable advancement for normal players.  Technically, radar is by far the most dangerous in-game technology:  because there really isn't a mitigation to it; it is exceedingly too precise for that era;  and, with no defensive tools other than run away, it becomes a "disruptive technology" and that, is a culture and game play destroyer.

Edited by Asym_KS

[187]
Members
1,487 posts
8,369 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Thank you...while I am rather on the reckless side of BB use I get checked/wrecked all the time for trying to hurry to my destination while sacrificing position...the trade off I am well aware of which is better position so if you survive that broadside salvo and pay for it then I consider it a fair trade...heal up and continue the battle hoping your sacrifice of damage pays off...this is battle not sunday school...well at least video game battle.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,148 posts
4,605 battles
4 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

Because 1 shell was basically game for them . Not sure if you played while they did have citadels, but you used to be able to oust them instantly.

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
15,604 battles
13 minutes ago, C_D said:

Thank you...while I am rather on the reckless side of BB use I get checked/wrecked all the time for trying to hurry to my destination while sacrificing position...the trade off I am well aware of which is better position so if you survive that broadside salvo and pay for it then I consider it a fair trade...heal up and continue the battle hoping your sacrifice of damage pays off...this is battle not sunday school...well at least video game battle.

There are also times as a BB you have to disengage. It takes forever in a BB to do so. If they were as easily wrecked as some want it would be impossible to do so. I know if I make that fateful turn to get out of a bad spot I will pay a hefty price for it BUT I will hopefully live (which I 100% won't if I don't get out of it) and can heal and come back. Before the citadels were lowered on US BB you couldn't or you died instantly from citadels hits from BB and CA's. BB's don't have the WASD to avoid shots the way DD and Cruiser's do. They rely on their armor, HP, and heal to take damage and survive. If they are as easy to citadel as they used to be, as they were just a short time back when there was that armor glitch, or as easy as some seem to want these days they can not do their job as a BB.

[YORHA]
Members
4,201 posts
7,376 battles
37 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Commander skill:  WAY TOO LONG to get to 19....  I've been in game since Feb of this year and have been playing a lot.   16 is as high as I've gotten and 19 is not even possible....  I've clan mates that have been here since inception that don't have 19's and will never have 19's?  That is a broken process. 

Well I have been playing since early January of 2016, averaging 6 games or so a day, and I have 9 or 10  19 pointers so... nope.

Edited by JCC45

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
15,604 battles
39 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I am a newer player and unfortunately,  have been playing naval games since Harpoon: decades ago.  So, what I like may be radically different than others: please, take no offense.

HE Spam:  is very close to being absolutely stupid.  In reality, this simply is technically impossible to do all game long....  But, and a big but, the meta phase is receding a bit of late and now there are only 4 CA/CL's on a side and we're seeing DD's again.  It's hard for new players to cope with this mechanic because they don't have the CPT points to allow for FS and the basics they should be picking for CPT skills.  I've not yet had the opportunity to get beyond a 16 pt CPT.

Radar:  first off, IJN had radar in 1943 and DD had it: to those who seem to think radar is only an allied side tool?  Radar is OK because it was used in WW2 BUT, and another big butt, radar wasn't all that effective....  What we are seeing is Vietnam era radar in a WW2 environment and that, is what is causing game play in-balance to the point some players are simply not engaging or, in the cases I personally have witnessed, DD CPT's aren't using Tier 8 through 10 DD's anymore....  I don't use my IJN tier 8-10's that I ground for weeks to own....  Radar has made them cost ineffective.....  Why lose money every match because radar has closed down a camped cap all game long.....and, there's no way in or effectively near???

This is a fun game and for the most part, has good players whom are civil and decent and I appreciate that....  I don't want "free" advancements.....but, I want achievable advancement for normal players.  Technically, radar is by far the most dangerous in-game technology:  because there really isn't a mitigation to it; it is exceedingly too precise for that era;  and, with no defensive tools other than run away, it becomes a "disruptive technology" and that, is a culture and game play destroyer.

I agree with most of what you have posted. Not all but most. Good job.

However on the Capt skill issue... While I do agree that it takes forever and a day to get to 19pts (longer than to go from T1 to T10 in a line), and I think they make it too long,  it isn't impossible. Also, once you get there you will start getting them faster and faster as they wrack up Elite Capt XP that can be used on any Capt at no cost (ie; doubloons like with converting FXP). It really is true that once you get one they come much faster.

I started WOWS in Dec 2016. Took me just about a year to get my 1st 19pt Capt. I actually got to Montana with like a 15 pt one +/- and then advanced him to 19 from there. I now have 6 of them with 8 other Capt's in the 15-17 pt range not to mention boat loads in the 12-14 pt range. All as mainly a Co-op player as well.

Premium time, flags/camo, and premium ships will all help it go faster as well.

[TDRB]
Members
2,832 posts
8,398 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I agree with most of what you have posted. Not all but most. Good job.

However on the Capt skill issue... While I do agree that it takes forever and a day to get to 19pts (longer than to go from T1 to T10 in a line), and I think they make it too long,  it isn't impossible. Also, once you get there you will start getting them faster and faster as they wrack up Elite Capt XP that can be used on any Capt at no cost (ie; doubloons like with converting FXP). It really is true that once you get one they come much faster.

I started WOWS in Dec 2016. Took me just about a year to get my 1st 19pt Capt. I actually got to Montana with like a 15 pt one +/- and then advanced him to 19 from there. I now have 6 of them with 8 other Capt's in the 15-17 pt range not to mention boat loads in the 12-14 pt range. All as mainly a Co-op player as well.

Premium time, flags/camo, and premium ships will all help it go faster as well.

It is nice to know it does get easier once we get that 1st 19pt commander.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Please remove all healing with the exception of module repair.

Thank you.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,404 posts
4,243 battles

I think everything is fine.  Maybe a little power creep, but overall fine.

Members
1,242 posts
5,495 battles

HE has always been there.  It can be annoying when being focused, but other than British BB's being HE based I am fine with it.

Good change, I think we could do with some more skill changes honestly.  There are too many cookie cutter builds still.

At the time Montana needed it.  Maybe it went too low (its up for debate).  I dislike the BB's with below the waterline citadel.  Again, looking at British BB's.

-Premium CV's

Testbed for new mechanics, I suspect they will be refunded once they change carriers again.

-AP Bombs

Too all or nothing.  You can delete a Bismark but leave other battleships practically untouched.  Too all or nothing imo.

-smoking cruisers

Bad idea overall, but not terrible because those same cruisers are fragile as hell so they aren't world beaters.  Bad idea that honestly is pretty well-implemented balance wise.

-radar

Logically I'd like it to not go thru islands.  Besides that, it's something everyone has to deal with.

-Clans

Would exist if you supported them or not.

Dislike the skill floor of British BB's.  Those two items combined with the fact that it's conceal is better than some cruisers is kind of [edited].

A broadside battleship should be punished.  Seems this only holds true now for the Yamato.

-power creep

Unavoidable, they have bills to pay after all.