You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MaxitheBraixen

how much money would I need to fully upgrade a commander to a 19/20 commander?

30 comments in this topic

[STURM]
Members
471 posts
4,141 battles

Well, there isn't a way currently to spend money to boost commanders after they have been recruited. Nor will there ever be (probably and hopefully), as that would be a blatant pay to win mechanic.

None of the in game currency accelerates commander training in any way, as well. Silver can only be used to buy one pre-earned skill point, and considering it only takes 1,500 exp to get your first skill, that will probably happen in a battle or two anyways. Doubloons can be used to buy a commander with 3 skill points, but that's not really worth it.

Doubloons can also be used to retrain commanders, and captains with more spent points cost more to re-spec, so be careful if you want to do that.

At present, the only way to get your commander to the max level of 19 points is to earn the 1,708,000 exp needed to get them there yourself. After that, they become elite commanders, and any more exp they earn can be given to any other commander of any nation.

Hope this helps. 

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,633 posts
7,637 battles

Money? You cannot directly buy yourself Elite Captain XP. There is one way, however it‘s so uneconomical that you are better off ignoring it and rather buy/earn yourself some signal flags and use them to grind the Captain XP the old fashioned way.

Anyway, to get a Captain from 0 to 19 points you need around 1.708m Captain XP. You can use Free XP to do that as well (note that Captain XP earn is like normal XP, and Free XP is only 5%, so you see why it‘s a bad move to use Free XP).

Free XP can be converted from Elite ships for one doubloon for every 25XP, so you‘ll need 68320 doubloons, which will cost roundabout 350$. 

• Cool 2

[BRZKR]
Privateers, Supertester
705 posts
7,130 battles

Going from a fresh captain to a fully trained, 19-point captain requires 1,708,000 free experience and/or elite captain experience. 1 doubloon allows you to convert 25 elite ship experience into free experience. You would need 68,320 doubloons. In total, that would cost $275.69 USD. :Smile-_tongue:

My math is probably off...

[WOLF9]
Members
9,753 posts
4,299 battles

$342 at nominal costs and $195 if you take advantage of sales and quantity discounts.

Members
5,579 posts
6,326 battles
33 minutes ago, Baskerville77 said:

Well, there isn't a way currently to spend money to boost commanders after they have been recruited. Nor will there ever be (probably and hopefully), as that would be a blatant pay to win mechanic.

None of the in game currency accelerates commander training in any way, as well. Silver can only be used to buy one pre-earned skill point, and considering it only takes 1,500 exp to get your first skill, that will probably happen in a battle or two anyways. Doubloons can be used to buy a commander with 3 skill points, but that's not really worth it.

Doubloons can also be used to retrain commanders, and captains with more spent points cost more to re-spec, so be careful if you want to do that.

At present, the only way to get your commander to the max level of 19 points is to earn the 1,708,000 exp needed to get them there yourself. After that, they become elite commanders, and any more exp they earn can be given to any other commander of any nation.

Hope this helps. 

As stated in the posts above, free experience can be used to train commanders. So technically a player can pay for a 19 point commander by converting exp from ships to free exp, then use that to accelerate training on a commander.

It's prohibitively expensive though, whether you do or don't take advantage of sales and discounts.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,633 posts
7,637 battles

Correction on myself, you need to buy the doubloons in 2 packages of 25k each (max limit), and then buying the remaining 18320 doubloons.

So 90€ x 2 + 70€ = 250€ which should be around 300$

[DENY]
Members
746 posts
8,596 battles

You still need to have the exp to convert it  too which op might not have . You want a 19 pointer . Just use the same capt from t1 to t10 . By the time you get to t10 you be 17-18 on your capt. I did this and got 2 19 pointer and about to have a third one

Edited by dad003

[PQUOD]
Members
1,780 posts
3,817 battles
1 minute ago, dad003 said:

You still need to have the exp to convert it  too which op might not have . You want a 19 pointer . Just use the same capt from t1 to t10 . By the time you get to t10 you be 17-18 on your capt

This is good info. It is really easy to get too many captains without really thinking about it. Getting a new captain with a new ship sounds like a great idea until you realize you've wasted way more time than you needed to leveling multiple captains up. I made that mistake early. It's quite the facepalm moment and somewhat humbling when you realize that mistake for the first time oi.

[BRZKR]
Privateers, Supertester
705 posts
7,130 battles
5 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Correction on myself, you need to buy the doubloons in 2 packages of 25k each (max limit), and then buying the remaining 18320 doubloons.

So 90€ x 2 + 70€ = 250€ which should be around 300$

Yep, that is how I came to $275.69. Two 25,000 doubloon packages for $99.99 each, plus 18,320 doubloons from the "Any doubloon amount" option for $75.71.

• Cool 1

[STURM]
Members
471 posts
4,141 battles
31 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

As stated in the posts above, free experience can be used to train commanders. So technically a player can pay for a 19 point commander by converting exp from ships to free exp, then use that to accelerate training on a commander.

It's prohibitively expensive though, whether you do or don't take advantage of sales and discounts.

True, but I was thinking more from the perspective of skipping the grind altogether. If you look at it from the perspective of pay to accelerate the grind, there are many ways to do that. Buy a premium so you can double dip (or more if you have more than one premium ship of that nation) in the first win of the day bonus, buy the top of the line bundle for that ship with the 25 battle EXP boost, or just buy lots of EXP boosting flags and camos. Then pay to get all that elite EXP converted into free EXP, and you could significantly shorten the grind by throwing tons of money at it.

But you still have to earn that EXP. There is (thankfully) no way to create an account and buy that kind of advantage before anything else.

Still, I wasn't clear enough in my first post. I apologize.

[0O0O0]
Members
139 posts
21 battles

Find a boat you like, put a Commander on it. MAX HIM OUT, play it like crazy and rake in the points. Use them to transfer and move around commanders. Save $, WG got $100s from me from moving captains around, re'specing.

Edited by Not_Slak__

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,914 posts
2 hours ago, MaxitheBraixen said:

im just wondering is all.

1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

Money? You cannot directly buy yourself Elite Captain XP. There is one way, however it‘s so uneconomical that you are better off ignoring it and rather buy/earn yourself some signal flags and use them to grind the Captain XP the old fashioned way.

Anyway, to get a Captain from 0 to 19 points you need around 1.708m Captain XP. You can use Free XP to do that as well (note that Captain XP earn is like normal XP, and Free XP is only 5%, so you see why it‘s a bad move to use Free XP).

Free XP can be converted from Elite ships for one doubloon for every 25XP, so you‘ll need 68320 doubloons, which will cost roundabout 350$. 

The best and or cheapest way is use camo's n signal's give you extra Exp and commander exp  since you need exp in the 1st place  just go that route that's the way I did it,   BTW  you use hydro's,dragon,wyvern,ouroboros signal's and papa papa,zulu hotel's

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,603 posts
16,675 battles

@MaxitheBraixen Since no one else noticed there is no 20 point commander the skill points top out at 19. Earn a 19 point commander then accumulate elite commander experience to accelerate other commanders. I have several elite commanders and use their points to advance others that are close to 19 say 15 to 18 

[0O0O0]
Members
139 posts
21 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@MaxitheBraixen Since no one else noticed there is no 20 point commander the skill points top out at 19. Earn a 19 point commander then accumulate elite commander experience to accelerate other commanders. I have several elite commanders and use their points to advance others that are close to 19 say 15 to 18 

I just said that.... Look up mudd

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,603 posts
16,675 battles

@Not_Slak__ Yes you did explain how to max out a captain and use the elite xp to advance others. I pointed out to the OP that there is no 20th point to gain. A cool to you  

[H_]
Members
2,286 posts

Good info guys !  Thanks.  The grind mechanics are excessive.  I've done the "one CPT to rule them all" gambit and only got to 16 when I hit T10 in both IJN Cruisers and Destroyers....  And, I am stuck there and can't find a method other than P2W grind-avoidance methods.....  If you are an average player, a 19 point CPT is just about impossible without P2W....and, that is reducing new player retention.....  I've been grinding and to get there, without spending for flags and camo, it would take over a year  !   I am patient;  but, this new generation of players isn't......

[DKM]
[DKM]
Members
134 posts
17,142 battles
Just now, Asym_KS said:

Good info guys !  Thanks.  The grind mechanics are excessive.  I've done the "one CPT to rule them all" gambit and only got to 16 when I hit T10 in both IJN Cruisers and Destroyers....  And, I am stuck there and can't find a method other than P2W grind-avoidance methods.....  If you are an average player, a 19 point CPT is just about impossible without P2W....and, that is reducing new player retention.....  I've been grinding and to get there, without spending for flags and camo, it would take over a year  !   I am patient;  but, this new generation of players isn't......

It is not that hard. If you do not fail your way throw the game and use all the free flags they give you on the way, it is not that hard. I have like 42 19 point commander, without spending money for them.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,019 posts
15,879 battles
2 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

If you like running operations, and have a tier 6 or 7 premium ship you like using, you can use operations to grind out captain experience pretty quickly if you're not getting consistently potato teams. I informally run a operations division which runs basically every night and we consistently get 5 star games, making it easy to grind captain exp.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,113 posts
11 hours ago, Baskerville77 said:

Hope this helps. 

Yes...there is...You can use free xp to upgrade a captain, but it's stupidly expensive..

Looks like the math is out already....:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by awiggin

[WOLF7]
Members
12,113 posts
3 hours ago, Pegneus said:

It is not that hard. If you do not fail your way throw the game and use all the free flags they give you on the way, it is not that hard. I have like 42 19 point commander, without spending money for them.

Do you really think that the vast majority of players invest as much time in the game as you do? :Smile_amazed:

Members
23,178 posts
5,841 battles
4 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

I've done the "one CPT to rule them all" gambit and only got to 16 when I hit T10 in both IJN Cruisers and Destroyers....

How did you only manage 16 by T10? I'm a free player, and 16 points comes somewhere during T8, on every line I've played so far. It's self-regulating as far as skill, because less XP earned just means it takes longer to grind both captain and ship.

Did you use any free XP to unlock or skip new ships?

4 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

If you are an average player, a 19 point CPT is just about impossible without P2W....and, that is reducing new player retention.....  I've been grinding and to get there, without spending for flags and camo, it would take over a year  !   I am patient;  but, this new generation of players isn't......

I disagree. My first (and only so far) 19-pointer took something around 600 matches. (that's the total number of matches in KM cruisers, including playing "keeper" ships with different captains, so the actual number is less)

That's on a free account, not using any signals except for those earned by playing, and no "special" flags or camo until I got to Roon. (then I used up most of my stockpile) At 15 min. a game, that's less than 2 games a day for a year. Mind you, I've been playing since OBT, but I don't "grind" anything.

Plus, 19 points isn't the be-all end-all. Your most important 4pt. skill comes at 10 points, your next at 14. IOW, you should have the skills that will make or break you WELL before 19 points.

And that's ok if the new generation of players is impatient. The few who realise the game is about the gameplay, and not the progression, are the ones that will stick, and the ones we want to keep.

If WG were trying to grow a large, AAA-caliber playerbase, they would have released a simpler, more mainstream-style game. This is, and always will be, a niche title, even if one of the bigger ones.

[DKM]
[DKM]
Members
134 posts
17,142 battles
3 hours ago, awiggin said:

Do you really think that the vast majority of players invest as much time in the game as you do? :Smile_amazed:

I am not that special. there are many more people that have way more games. but you dont need so many 19pointer. but decent games here and there and you get you 19er in no time. all that free flags from anniversary give aways scales alot from really good games. (40-50k commander exp with all flags, per really good round)

Best way to farm is to improve and you do not have problems with credits earnings/exp/commander exp.

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
4 hours ago, Lightninger said:

If you like running operations, and have a tier 6 or 7 premium ship you like using, you can use operations to grind out captain experience pretty quickly if you're not getting consistently potato teams. I informally run a operations division which runs basically every night and we consistently get 5 star games, making it easy to grind captain exp.

I have a 17.75 point British captain that plays games in the Fiji, Duke of York, and Nelson.  I hate higher tier play (because I am a liability to my team) and found 3 ships I A) Like to play, B) Are good enough to contribute to the team, and C) were free.  I also have the 190K Elite EXP from the Cleveland changes.  So, in the next month or so I should be able to get him to 19 points without spending anything outside of premium time and my free time.

[AHOY_]
Members
1,010 posts
13,040 battles

camo and flags are KEY you get alot of those for free in this game. getting 10-25k commander exp per game is easy when there is a 100-200% 1st win bonus going on.   flag up and play, save the best _special_ flags for those times.    soon you have  a 19pt  capt,   move him to any prem ships you have  and repeat