You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cruiser_CleveAniki

I Can See Why Des Moines Remains Popular

32 comments in this topic

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
596 posts
6,432 battles

Show me your critadels!

Yes, there's anime mods installed, don't open the spoiler to see the results if that triggers you.

Spoiler

shot-18_06.13_20_46.08-0599.thumb.jpg.7364539b8fbbf449c79330b544986736.jpgshot-18_06.13_20_46.11-0344e.thumb.jpg.84db8e51254338dd9ae41492a1417c05.jpgshot-18_06.13_20_46.15-0121e.thumb.jpg.b1e820fee5589f82c08a467e15c409d5.jpg

• Cool 6

[RLGN]
Members
10,961 posts
20,039 battles

Then there’s when I played DM...

Either out of position and can’t do anything; or out of position and die in 30 seconds...

[PVE]
Members
3,250 posts
21,599 battles
1 hour ago, Thraxian said:

That was one seriously potato team you fought....

Comments like that just invalidate the good play (as in suggesting "lucky for you the other team was all potatoes").

Can't anybody compliment somebody on a job well done w/out dubbing all the other team members as potatoes?

2 hours ago, Destroyer_Radford said:

Show me your critadels!

Well done OP.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,404 posts
11,044 battles
15 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Comments like that just invalidate the good play (as in suggesting "lucky for you the other team was all potatoes").

Can't anybody compliment somebody on a job well done w/out dubbing all the other team members as potatoes?

It takes a good player to take advantage of a potato team to that extent. Denying the potatoiness of the enemy team doesn't help anyone.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
596 posts
6,432 battles
11 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

It takes a good player to take advantage of a potato team to that extent. Denying the potatoiness of the enemy team doesn't help anyone.

I'm just sad I barely missed out on a Kraken to top off everything else tbh

In any case, while a lot of those cruisers made pretty bad decisions, a lot of them were based around the problem of being sandwiched, or at least flanked, between my teammates in the southeast and myself. I suppose the primary mistake was advancing along the edge of the island like that, but once they did, they were really in a no win situation. If they had chosen to angle against me, then it would have been the rest of my team taking them out with extreme prejudice. 

There's no small deal of good fortune in them turning to me like that when I was in the best ship possible to punish them for it.

[PVE]
Members
3,250 posts
21,599 battles
34 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Assuming the potatoness of the enemy team doesn't help anyone either.

Good players can also take advantage of a good team...so evaluating a team as potatoes just because the OPs team got the better positions & were able to capitalize on it is just assuming w/no possible actual data w/which to make that assumption on as in order to have any actual data you would have needed to actually be in that match...& you obviously were not.

I was on a team that steamrolled one of the best CV mains (W/2 clan mates in a div) & I was the biggest potato on either team...but my team still won. Would hardly classify them as potatoes just because of the outcome of that 1 battle.

[NUWES]
Members
2,358 posts
7,498 battles
11 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Then there’s when I played DM...

Either out of position and can’t do anything; or out of position and die in 30 seconds...

DM is a hard ship to get the hang of, much like all the USN cruisers, but man does it shred things when you get it right. 

[-BRS-]
Members
424 posts
13,787 battles
3 hours ago, Stampz said:

Completely envious here.

Also anime mod is best mod.

why so?

GOOD video OP, I enjoyed it

Edited by Gary_P

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
16 hours ago, Destroyer_Radford said:

In any case, while a lot of those cruisers made pretty bad decisions, a lot of them were based around the problem of being sandwiched, or at least flanked, between my teammates in the southeast and myself. I suppose the primary mistake was advancing along the edge of the island like that, but once they did, they were really in a no win situation. If they had chosen to angle against me, then it would have been the rest of my team taking them out with extreme prejudice. 

There's no small deal of good fortune in them turning to me like that when I was in the best ship possible to punish them for it.

lol I served on the USS Radford DD968, a Spruance class destroyer for a bit so every time I see your screen name I flash back to times aboard my ship.

[KRAB]
Members
828 posts
7,283 battles

Honestly they might need to nerf that spot - I use it myself and anything there has way too much area-denial potential. 

[DRACS]
Members
4,734 posts

My Des Moines games are cases of extremes. Either I can't find a good spot and die really quickly, or I do find that right spot and torture everything.

It's a fun boat. I really should play her more often. My stats in her are garbage as she was my very first tier 10 ship, so I feel a need to make them better.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
20,989 battles
21 hours ago, Destroyer_Radford said:

Show me your critadels!

Yes, there's anime mods installed, don't open the spoiler to see the results if that triggers you.

Reveal hidden contents

shot-18_06.13_20_46.08-0599.thumb.jpg.7364539b8fbbf449c79330b544986736.jpgshot-18_06.13_20_46.11-0344e.thumb.jpg.84db8e51254338dd9ae41492a1417c05.jpgshot-18_06.13_20_46.15-0121e.thumb.jpg.b1e820fee5589f82c08a467e15c409d5.jpg

We need a Sean Connery voice mod so when BB's repair one fire right away like the first BB we can hear in the best Connery voice

"He repaired one fire and one fire only Vasily"

Good initial position allowed you to take the fight to the enemy without putting your ship at risk. Textbook US cruiser play.

+1

• Funny 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,358 posts
7,498 battles
1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Honestly they might need to nerf that spot - I use it myself and anything there has way too much area-denial potential. 

It has as much denial potential as the other team allows. The OP's team did a better job than the red team. His teammate DDs spotted well and the BBs and other cruisers held their ground so he couldn't be overrun. It was good play on the OPs part and good teamwork on the part of everyone on that flank. (The other flank did a good job too.) There's nothing overpowering about that spot. I go there all the time in my DM (also every US and UK cruiser). If the team plays like a team and spots and holds the line well the spot is golden. If they don't, you get crushed there like you do anywhere else. 

[NUWES]
Members
2,358 posts
7,498 battles
9 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

My Des Moines games are cases of extremes. Either I can't find a good spot and die really quickly, or I do find that right spot and torture everything.

It's a fun boat. I really should play her more often. My stats in her are garbage as she was my very first tier 10 ship, so I feel a need to make them better.

I have that same problem with my DM stats. I was awful with it for a long while. I watched a lot of videos from Flamu and some others and I've become much better, and that also improved my overall USN CA play. I think I've nearly reached even now after years of disaster. I really just wish DM had a bit more acceleration. The ship is so slow to accelerate from stop. That gets me killed more than anything else. 

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
809 posts
8,183 battles
18 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

TRIGGERED!

:Smile_izmena:

• Funny 1

Members
91 posts
6,304 battles
18 hours ago, Destroyer_Radford said:

You hit the nail exactly on its head.  The way I would describe it is that you were thinking 3 moves ahead, whereas the enemy team was thinking just one move ahead.  When they got to the point where they were in that sandwich, they had no good option to choose, and so they had to give broadside to either you or your support.  That was really good positioning and use of you ship, and you should be commended for it.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
596 posts
6,432 battles
2 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

I have that same problem with my DM stats. I was awful with it for a long while. I watched a lot of videos from Flamu and some others and I've become much better, and that also improved my overall USN CA play. I think I've nearly reached even now after years of disaster. I really just wish DM had a bit more acceleration. The ship is so slow to accelerate from stop. That gets me killed more than anything else. 

I fit the acceleration module to my Des Moines for that exact reason, and I was actually debating whether to have my bow or my stern pointed towards the cap circle. I went bow forward in the end which worked out well for killing the Shima and then avoiding the torps, but being stern in would have made it easier to escape if the flank had collapsed, in which case my plan was to go up mid and inflict much damage as possible while keeping my flanks covered.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
20,989 battles
2 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

I run the acceleration module BC of this and it comes in handy doing berm drills with islands. Faster to the sweet spot of barely having rounds clear islands.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
20,989 battles
27 minutes ago, Destroyer_Radford said:

I fit the acceleration module to my Des Moines for that exact reason, and I was actually debating whether to have my bow or my stern pointed towards the cap circle. I went bow forward in the end which worked out well for killing the Shima and then avoiding the torps, but being stern in would have made it easier to escape if the flank had collapsed, in which case my plan was to go up mid and inflict much damage as possible while keeping my flanks covered.

27 minutes ago, Destroyer_Radford said:

Ah snap I just typed basically the same thing about acceleration module.

:) Great minds.