You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
thatGcat

IJN cruiser commanders

17 comments in this topic

[EREKT]
Members
23 posts
985 battles

going down the IJN cruiser line might not have been the best decision I could've made for myself as a newbie, but eight tiers later I am just another player. Anyhow, I am trying to configure my captains for IJN cruisers, however, having the Mogami really complicates things. 

For playing the Mogami, the logical skill to take would be (for the 155mm configuration which I'm going with) IFHE. the only problem with saving up to get IFHE does it really make sense to get that skill if I want to continue on to the Ibuki and Zao. I'm torn because either I can get IFHE which will make my Mogami much better but if I want skills that can work with all the IJN cruisers then wouldn't it make more sense to use the 203mm guns and get something like DFCA and Vigilance/Superintendent. 

If I save up my points to get IFHE then my Mogami becomes better at the cost of the other cruisers, but that's what I should do if I stick with the 155 guns. 

I can also take the time and Use my Yubari to train a dedicated commander but its gonna be costly to train up a 15 pt commander to get CE and IFHE then retrain him on the Mogami.

It probably makes sense to go through all of the commander training because I still need to make money on low tier matches. 

thoughts?

[SRBL]
Beta Testers
28 posts
5,997 battles

Seeing how you'll be using HE for almost all situations, except for a very broadside target, IFHE is a go to skill for IJN Cruisers. Don't forget tho, once you set fires, switch to a new target, the object is to set as many fires on as many opponents as you can. 

• Bad 4

[CK5]
Members
836 posts
7,095 battles

Mogami does make it tough to plan commanders for the IJN line.  To be honest, the 155mm Mogami just about requires a dedicated captain.  IFHE is a must but that skill is essentially worthless for all the other IJN cruisers that have 203mm guns.  I finally bit the bullet and put a dedicated captain in the Mogami and trained another one for all other cruisers.  Tough choice, I know, but hard to get around the problem. 

Edit:  I should add that the IFHE Mogami captain would work just fine in lower tier IJN cruisers like Tenryu and Kuma if you want to drop down and play T3-4 now and then.  

Edited by PrairiePlayer

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,349 posts
11,869 battles
19 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Mogami does make it tough to plan commanders for the IJN line.  To be honest, the 155mm Mogami just about requires a dedicated captain.  IFHE is a must but that skill is essentially worthless for all the other IJN cruisers that have 203mm guns.  I finally bit the bullet and put a dedicated captain in the Mogami and trained another one for all other cruisers.  Tough choice, I know, but hard to get around the problem. 

Edit:  I should add that the IFHE Mogami captain would work just fine in lower tier IJN cruisers like Tenryu and Kuma if you want to drop down and play T3-4 now and then.  

That would require re-training as none of them are premiums.  If you're going to move the captain on, I would just skip the IFHE.  155 mogami will still work, even if you are losing out a bit.  Or you can just go 203mm Mogami.

Members
1,175 posts
3,153 battles
1 hour ago, ackackbetty said:

Seeing how you'll be using HE for almost all situations, except for a very broadside target, IFHE is a go to skill for IJN Cruisers. Don't forget tho, once you set fires, switch to a new target, the object is to set as many fires on as many opponents as you can. 

I'd only recommend IFHE for 155 Mogami. 203s don't really need IFHE to do well. 

[SRBL]
Beta Testers
28 posts
5,997 battles
4 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I'd only recommend IFHE for 155 Mogami. 203s don't really need IFHE to do well. 

This is true, but once he gets to the Zao, I highly recommend the IFHE skill.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,574 posts
12,258 battles

If you plan on keeping Mogami,  then go for IFHE.

If your going to sell it and move up, don't get IFHE.

• Cool 1

Members
4,932 posts
5,713 battles

Just to point it out, while IFHE has little effect on 203mm HE, it should enhance Zao's secondary battery, which are the 100mm guns found on Akizuki.

[PVE]
Members
2,008 posts
18,505 battles
1 hour ago, thatGcat said:

going down the IJN cruiser line might not have been the best decision I could've made for myself as a newbie, but eight tiers later I am just another player. Anyhow, I am trying to configure my captains for IJN cruisers, however, having the Mogami really complicates things. 

For playing the Mogami, the logical skill to take would be (for the 155mm configuration which I'm going with) IFHE. the only problem with saving up to get IFHE does it really make sense to get that skill if I want to continue on to the Ibuki and Zao. I'm torn because either I can get IFHE which will make my Mogami much better but if I want skills that can work with all the IJN cruisers then wouldn't it make more sense to use the 203mm guns and get something like DFCA and Vigilance/Superintendent. 

If I save up my points to get IFHE then my Mogami becomes better at the cost of the other cruisers, but that's what I should do if I stick with the 155 guns. 

I can also take the time and Use my Yubari to train a dedicated commander but its gonna be costly to train up a 15 pt commander to get CE and IFHE then retrain him on the Mogami.

It probably makes sense to go through all of the commander training because I still need to make money on low tier matches. 

thoughts?

I would skip the IFHEs & keep the fire chance. Mogami is a fire breathing monster...even w/IFHEs the amount of extra damage will not balance out the fire potential you will be reducing by using the IFHEs.

AR is a must though...it makes taking that 1st couple of cits pay off in the # of rounds down range (90 standard to 112.5/minute at less than 3910 HP) & the glorious fires it entails.

Just keep in mind what ackackbetty suggested:

1 hour ago, ackackbetty said:

once you set fires, switch to a new target, the object is to set as many fires on as many opponents as you can. 

The constant switching (& maneuvering in order to switch) will make you a much harder to focus target. Of course once a target puts out a fire restarting it for maximum fire damage is a must...don't just disregard it after you set the 1st fire but remember which one it is so you can reset it as soon as possible after it's DC runs out.

I wouldn't even bother switching to AP for broadside targets (except of course for brit CLs) as a broadside target just gives you more chances for rounds to hit & more chances (14% each w/DE & both flags...w/out IFHEs of course) for fires.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,183 battles
1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Just to point it out, while IFHE has little effect on 203mm HE, it should enhance Zao's secondary battery, which are the 100mm guns found on Akizuki.

That's not even a good reason. Recommending IFHE on Zao is literally the dumbest thing I have read on the forum in weeks.

Members
4,932 posts
5,713 battles
33 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

That's not even a good reason. Recommending IFHE on Zao is literally the dumbest thing I have read on the forum in weeks.

I wasn't recommending it. I'm simply stating the only real effect IFHE has on Zao.

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
2 hours ago, ackackbetty said:

This is true, but once he gets to the Zao, I highly recommend the IFHE skill.

Why would you need IFHE on Zao? What can't you damage with 203 mm HE shells with 34mm penetration? What good will 51mm of penetration do?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles
8 hours ago, thatGcat said:

thoughts?

IFHE is not needed for the 203mm armed CAs of this line.  For Tier V thru X, only 155-Mogami is an IFHE candidate.

Do you intend to keep Mogami?

If "Yes" then you'll need to keep the captain there or develop a new one.  Either way, that IFHE configured captain is wasting 4 pts that would not be useful for the other 203mm armed CAs.  He won't be good anywhere in Tier V-X where the Cruiser is armed with 203mm guns.

If "No" then I simply suggest to "deal with it."  Do not get IFHE, do not even get the 203mm guns, just grind and get what you need to leave Mogami and get to Ibuki then Zao.  Don't waste the research to even unlock Mogami's 203mm guns.  Just use those points to leave the ship ASAP and get to Ibuki.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
1,442 posts
21 hours ago, thatGcat said:

thoughts?

You have to make a decision with Mogami 155. You want to be a firestarter or to do reliable HE damage with so-so fire chances? Taking IFHE is what makes that difference. Of course, you should always take DE. Always.

Mogami is the only IJN cruiser that is 'different' because of its armament options ... so imo, make a captain specifically for it. I put one of the ARP captains on Mogami..its 10 free skill points right off the bat. Mine runs : Preventative Maintenance , Airplane catapult, Last Stand, Demo expert, IFHE, RPF and Stealth.

That setup is perfect imo because as a Mogami you aren't going to live long unless you behind cover and with rudder upgrades you don't really need that much turret rotation speed... nor do you need superintendent because sonar and fighter planes really aren't going to be something you use up every battle. OTH, preventing your engine/rudder from being knocked out is critical.. double planes to increase your spotting chances works wonders... last stand to let you maneuver or move after being hit... firepower and fire chances are a must... and finally RPF lets you find DDs and stealthed cruisers/ships while stealth increases your survivability and your chances of tossing torpedoes at max torp range.

For Zao you do want to have IFHE and DE plus superintendent though.

[EREKT]
Members
23 posts
985 battles
On 6/13/2018 at 9:47 PM, crzyhawk said:

That would require re-training as none of them are premiums.  If you're going to move the captain on, I would just skip the IFHE.  155 mogami will still work, even if you are losing out a bit.  Or you can just go 203mm Mogami.

youre right plus I'm already planning to use my Yubari which is T4 and is premium and doe not benefit whatsoever from IFHE

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles
25 minutes ago, thatGcat said:

how does the Zao benefit from IFHE?

There is a bit of 50mm plate on some battleships and Moskva at high tiers.  That is the only justification I can see.  In my opinion it is not a good enough justification, mind you, given that you are spending four points and losing fire chance.