You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Pensacola in Killer Whale

14 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
1,324 posts
5,043 battles

While falling short of the Cleveland overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the Pensacola. While the reload time is slow and the turrets make a snail look like Flash, the 203mm guns do pack a punch. Two squadrons of torpedo planes attack me, no one was close enough to aid me. I hit Defensive AA when the planes were within 3km & launched my fighter. I shot down all 8 & only one managed to launch a torpedo. You can't get much better than that. With help from faster firing cruisers  helping out with the DD's I was able to put a big hurt on, if not sink the carriers. I did not come close to matching my best game on my Cleveland but I finished in the upper end of the team score chart most of the time.

I will be getting the Dallas once it is released. I'm hoping its AA defense is as good as the Pensacola and it is more suited to take on DD's.

[NAVY]
Members
1,021 posts
4,141 battles
Just now, kgh52 said:

While falling short of the Cleveland overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the Pensacola. While the reload time is slow and the turrets make a snail look like Flash, the 203mm guns do pack a punch. Two squadrons of torpedo planes attack me, no one was close enough to aid me. I hit Defensive AA when the planes were within 3km & launched my fighter. I shot down all 8 & only one managed to launch a torpedo. You can't get much better than that. With help from faster firing cruisers  helping out with the DD's I was able to put a big hurt on, if not sink the carriers. I did not come close to matching my best game on my Cleveland but I finished in the upper end of the team score chart most of the time.

I will be getting the Dallas once it is released. I'm hoping its AA defense is as good as the Pensacola and it is more suited to take on DD's.

Aye. I was pleasantly surprised by the Pensacola as well in Killer Whale. Her 203 mm AP shells will absolutely tear through and devastate the forts as well as the enemy cruisers.

I'm curious to try out the Dallas as well in the tier 6 Operation scenarios.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,628 posts
556 battles

Pensacola's probably the best gunboat for this operation. SHE is absolutely stellar. 

Then again, she's farming tier 4 and 5 ships. But her 8" AP works wonders.

[STW-M]
Members
2,346 posts
6,240 battles

Pensacola thrives when there is a large number of enemy cruisers around, especially lower tier ones that her AP just tears through or even overmatch.

Her AA isn't bad either, and quite capable of chipping away at Raptor's squadrons.

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
717 posts
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

Got to agree with this - Pensacola has found a home in my port for operations!

I sold her many moons ago - suffered through the grind to the New Orleans then purchased the Indianapolis and sold the Pensacola.  I think I have a touch of PTSD from the Pensa grind.  Bought her back prior to the cruiser split for the extras we got for having all the cruisers in port. 

Now, the AP does wonders on the forts and the Cruisers.  The HE combined with the GFCS range does great on the surface targets, the cargo ships and the DD's.  Yes it does reload slower, but my aim has improved to the point I really don't mind it that much.  Pensa has definitively replaced the Cleveland in this operation when someone needs AA support as well.

I have been saving everything since Christmas for the new US cruisers and now have enough for all the new line and am already having fun with the new Cleveland. 

Personally I am looking most forward to Helena - hopefully she will be a beast at the tier VII operations like the Pensa is at VI.

Bring on Operation Cherry Blossom - my Cleveland and Baltimore await and want to see if the Kutuzov will be viable.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,880 battles

I never played Cleveland in this op very much before she moved up, but I did often play Leander. The difference between the Pensa and the Leander when dealing with the early sets of forts at the harbour entrances is night and day - with the Leander I had to get within 8km to have any effect at all; with the Pensa, I could sit back and pick them off at leisure with the front guns from the spawn point if we didn't have time restrictions.

She's probably found a home here, and if you're willing to sacrifice most of your cash gains from a good win, you can potentially take her back into battle immediately and mine XP like a boss.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,930 posts
2,724 battles

T7 Pensie was good in Ops, too.  I ground New Orleans driving her in Op Hermes.  (As a result, I didn't learn the Terra Waifu technique of higher-tier cruisers.)   Pensie proved to be the second best cruiser after Fiji (people weren't using Atlanta much then).  After they buffed the bots it tended to get focused so not as dominant.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,753 posts
3,738 battles

I wonder how Nurnberg with her C-hull (a.k.a. the AA hull) would fare in Tier VI Operations, compared to Pepsicola(lol). I mean, I often hear how amazing the USN cruisers are for pretty much all the Operations, especially the old Cleveland at Tier VI with her godly AA, but I rarely hear about the cruisers from other nations. Now that Cleveland has moved up to Tier VIII, would that allow some other cruisers to shine as well? Or will the USN cruisers still hog all the spotlight?

TBH, I'm still slowly grinding through Konigsberg, but I'm almost at Nurnberg. Once I get her, I plan to take her straight to Operations for what is hopefully a faster grind.

Everytime I hear something about Nurnberg, usually it's about how fragile she is, lol. Hopefully she is just as capable as the famed USN cruisers in Operations. 

[NMKJT]
Members
2,892 posts
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

I played either my Nurnberg or Budyonny, and would keep near a Pensacola (there were always Pensacolas) and add my AA to hers, and it worked out well. 

They did pretty good from my vantage

[WOLF3]
Members
6,930 posts
2,724 battles
19 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I wonder how Nurnberg with her C-hull (a.k.a. the AA hull) would fare in Tier VI Operations, compared to Pepsicola(lol). I mean, I often hear how amazing the USN cruisers are for pretty much all the Operations, especially the old Cleveland at Tier VI with her godly AA, but I rarely hear about the cruisers from other nations. Now that Cleveland has moved up to Tier VIII, would that allow some other cruisers to shine as well? Or will the USN cruisers still hog all the spotlight?

Torpedo cruisers can do very well in Killer Whale.  Even better than gun cruisers if smartly played.  We get quite a mix on our team.  I don't have one so couldn't make a particular recommendation.

[-BRS-]
Members
663 posts
12,447 battles
1 hour ago, Blorgh2017 said:

TBH, I'm still slowly grinding through Konigsberg, but I'm almost at Nurnberg. Once I get her, I plan to take her straight to Operations for what is hopefully a faster grind.

Everytime I hear something about Nurnberg, usually it's about how fragile she is, lol. Hopefully she is just as capable as the famed USN cruisers in Operations. 

I run the Budyonny, Makarov, Molotov, and Huanghe regularly in the tier VI operations. It is very easy to excel and lead with the Budyonny and Makarov. To be honest, from seeing my division mates Clevelands' ability to shoot down planes, I feel that the Makarov (very similar to a C-Hull Nurnberg I believe) melts planes faster than the Cleveland did. Of course I am using a 19 point AA captain with BFT, AFT, and manual fire but my division mates have said they have 19 pointers on their Clevelands as well. It also isn't hard to top the board in a Molotov and Huanghe if you are more careful and play them correctly as well. I would say there are cruisers better than USN ones for operations, with Budyonny and Makarov (C-Hull Nurnberg) being very easy examples of two such.

[RLGN]
Members
8,694 posts
17,952 battles

Unfortunately distracted by Halsey and other things, so didn’t get to try Pensy out. Hopefully next time KW rolls around, because the word on the street vis-a-vis PC+KW certainly sounds good.

[INTEL]
Members
8,838 posts
26,334 battles

Pensacola is awesome in this op. I spec'd mine specifically for this op: AA plus manual AA. So far my record is 41 planes. She also does great damage with the guns.

[S0L0]
Members
923 posts
5,130 battles

Wanted to try Pensacola this go around, but I discovered Molotov in KW. OH, MY.... Forts disappear, cruisers founder,  shore installations un-happen every 3.5 seconds, and with the correct technique, you can take out the north spawning target boats solo. Been pushing a Russian captain to 19pts, so I just started stacking bonus flags, got up to 20K captain XP in one battle, and probably averaged around 10k. Made nearly half a mil captain XP on him that way.

Matt

• Cool 2