You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Venac

Not seeing many top players or clans in random....

46 comments in this topic

Members
367 posts

Had a chance the other day to talk to a friend of mine who is a unicum player in a good clan. I asked him why i never see him in random anymore or any of his clan mates. He said the answer is simple burnout and no need to play random. Clan wars right into ranked he said has burned him out and as far as any new ships that may come he has the free XP to get them why grind out in random. Now that clan battles season 3 looks to begin in a few weeks he said time to take a break for a bit. I am wondering if this is the feeling of all the top players and as to why i have not seen many of the top clans playing in random lately? I am also wondering if this is the case is it bad for the game?

• Cool 2

Members
2,167 posts
4,892 battles

Yeah but when I see a Rank 1 player in Randoms, he tops the scoreboard even when I think I've done really well and likely to be in first place. When I think I am second, I end up third because a Rank 1 player ends up second place. When I think I am third he ends up as No. 3 etc. I have absolutely no disappointment being outscored by better players. For example the other day I had a 90k, 3 kill game in the Atlanta. That, to me, was a pretty good match, but the Maass ended up topping the scoreboard. Rank 1 player.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

[-K-]
Members
6,606 posts
10,966 battles

Ranked has a way of burning a lot of people out.  Especially those with the drive to get to R1.

• Cool 3

Members
2,167 posts
4,892 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

Ranked has a way of burning a lot of people out.  Especially those with the drive to get to R1.

If you look at the latest video from Flambass dealing with the issue, the few who made it to R1 or even R5 and below are pretty much good, even elite players. I'm slightly above average / high end of average as of now.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,642 posts
15,145 battles
9 minutes ago, Venac said:

is it bad for the game?

It's not bad for the game as long as they come back.

• Cool 1

[RST]
Members
1,906 posts
12,008 battles

Ranked is as much fun as filling a rental car with premium gasoline. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,584 posts
8,247 battles

I dunno about others but I bought my first house last month and to spend all my time outside of work fixing it up for a couple weeks and then moving so I have not had much free time to play in the last month and am just getting back into the game.

I know that the one season I did rank out it burned me out for a couple months. Its a grind even for decent players, playing the probability game over and over and over. I generally play with friends and switch up ships a lot which I cant do in that mode.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
1,785 posts
3,820 battles
4 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

It was pretty good for xp. I'm not sure if that is a good thing though as it just encouraged some players to ignore the rank system and stick around for the xp...

Members
2,709 posts
16,605 battles

You don't have be in a "top" clan to get burned out from CB and Ranked. In fact, I would say the average players get burned out more cause it takes them longer to rank out and more CB matches to get the flag.

Also, Rank 1 <> highly skilled

Plenty of potatos managed to rank out.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,586 posts
16,530 battles

So you have Rank 1 players and then you have 500 plus games to get to Rank 1 players.

Now as far as the ones you need to concern yourself with in a game yeah I have seen less of them as of late.

But as far as the other side of the story goes I have seen many Rank 1 players especially over last weekend who finished at the bottom of their team plenty of times.

I think everyone is a little burned out though from Clan Battles to Rank then a new Campaign I know I am feeling the Burn.

Mostly in in my eyes especially my right eye which has developed a really irritating twitch  not to mention dry eyes from late night/early morning hours on end matches.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND
  • Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
2,832 posts
11,934 battles

Burn out is a real thing.  I've spoken about it before, but I think WG is doing clan battles and ranked battles too close together.  People get burnt out when constantly try harding.  Even from the logistical stand point you have little ability to maintain proper signal flags for competitive play.

I've seen about a dozen guys go and not come back from the various teams and clans that I have been a part of.

Its part of the reason why serious competitive teams should have a heavy recruitment and training regimen.  Guys are going to need a break.

• Cool 3

[AP]
Members
1,234 posts
13,820 battles
3 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

But as far as the other side of the story goes I have seen many Rank 1 players especially over last weekend who finished at the bottom of their team plenty of times.

as halsey roll around, you get "i got to rank1 in XX cuz i only know how to XX" and "i got to rank1 in XX but i know how to play every class, i just chose XX cuz meta favours it" both playing certain types of ships to do the campaign

XX=BB/CA/DD

and surprise surprise, the first kind of r1 player end up bottom on scoreboard

• Funny 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,586 posts
16,530 battles
2 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

as halsey roll around, you get "i got to rank1 in XX cuz i only know how to XX" and "i got to rank1 in XX but i know how to play every class, i just chose XX cuz meta favours it" both playing certain types of ships to do the campaign

XX=BB/CA/DD

and surprise surprise, the first kind of r1 player end up bottom on scoreboard

They asked me if I was ready for Clan Battles and I was like uhhhh is that already coming up again geeez....

Can I just be a fill in if someone cannot show up lol

• Funny 2

[B2P]
Beta Testers
147 posts
9,092 battles
4 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

So you have Rank 1 players and then you have 500 plus games to get to Rank 1 players.

Now as far as the ones you need to concern yourself with in a game yeah I have seen less of them as of late.

Happen to me this week in one Hindy game that night were I end up at the bottom with my div mates. But that was because our victory ended way too fast since the enemy team got greedy, and overextended hard to get picked off one-by-one in under 5 minutes.

Sometimes even in victory, you just get those bad games that is one sided.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,696 posts
3,603 battles

It's normal to burn out and come back, a game I played a few years back, I was on a top clan and was somewhat known on my server for being good. After a while though it gets to be boring, I left came back, left again, came back but most of my clan broke up because of the same reasons

This is the first online game in a while where I'm not getting into the competitive side of things but even now I'm getting bored at times

Members
367 posts

Thanks for all the replies. I am seeing many say the burn out is real and that explains a lot, but still not sure if this will effect the game in a bad way. And now with so many burned out they are going right back into clan wars....

Edited by Venac

[NGAGE]
Members
1,396 posts
8,086 battles

Most of the good players I know aren't really playing a lot right now. Many are still on a psuedo break from the last CB season. Very few cared about ranked. Clan Battles, having Stalingrad flags, and division (aka teamwork) play history has had a way of eliminating any worthwhile validation that ranked once provided.

Aka... most of the good players I know are on a break to make sure they don't burn out during the next clan battles season. They still want to enjoy the Stalingrad once they actually get it.

• Cool 1

[STW-M]
Members
3,294 posts
7,750 battles

Your friend made the mistake of not taking a break when he should have, and now his enthusiasm for the game has diminished considerably as a result.

It's important to know when to take a break from the game, even if it involves sacrificing something.

For instance, I deliberately didn't do season 8 of Ranked because I was feeling tired from rushing to complete the Duke of York campaign. Taking the month off definitely helped rekindle my interest in the game; if I hadn't, I might not even be playing this game anymore.

[KSC]
Members
1,047 posts
4,576 battles
43 minutes ago, Venac said:

Had a chance the other day to talk to a friend of mine who is a unicum player in a good clan. I asked him why i never see him in random anymore or any of his clan mates. He said the answer is simple burnout and no need to play random. Clan wars right into ranked he said has burned him out and as far as any new ships that may come he has the free XP to get them why grind out in random. Now that clan battles season 3 looks to begin in a few weeks he said time to take a break for a bit. I am wondering if this is the feeling of all the top players and as to why i have not seen many of the top clans playing in random lately? I am also wondering if this is the case is it bad for the game?

CB is one hell of a grind, and I'll play about 90% of my random battles during the CB season.  It does start to burn you out because people actually take it serious, and I like to practice or talk to clan members about what's going right or wrong during a CB while playing a random battle

I can say I've been burnt out, and haven't really done any ranked or random battles since CB ended, but I'll play again when the new CB season rolls around.

Edited by XpliCT_PaiiN

Members
1,136 posts
7,042 battles

Yes many are burned out, but you can look at it two ways.

1- The positive way. Lots more of potatoes to kill.

2- The negative way. More potatoes on your team. 

I choose number one to save my sanity. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,899 posts
11,620 battles
29 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have to disagree here. Ranked is as much fun as getting a root canal with no novocaine

[STW]
Members
696 posts
5,138 battles

Ranked right on the tail end of Clan Battles and then following it up with another Clan Battles season (and doing CB practices leading up to the new season) within a relatively short amount of time has a way of burning a person out and sucking the fun out of it, and it exacerbates the issue a bit when there's other grinds you're trying to do on top of having a lot on your plate outside of the game.  I really like boats, but it's all a bit much sometimes and what eventually burned me out on Eve was feeling like it dominated a lot more time than I wanted to devote to it.  A little more lag time would have been nice because I don't want to reach that point with WoWS.

Edited by Deviathan

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,938 posts
11,177 battles
53 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

I dunno about others but I bought my first house last month and to spend all my time outside of work fixing it up for a couple weeks and then moving so I have not had much free time to play in the last month and am just getting back into the game.

I know that the one season I did rank out it burned me out for a couple months. Its a grind even for decent players, playing the probability game over and over and over. I generally play with friends and switch up ships a lot which I cant do in that mode.

I enjoyed ranked a lot tbh since they made it tier 10. It gave me a reason to actually play ranked.

Beta Testers
4,141 posts
13,000 battles

I'm not a "top" player but...

Randons become over boring... i just keep playing a bit because i think i'm a bit masochist (i really need stop playing this game).

But is... 'meh', a lot potatos sniping with bbs, a lot radar/aa to play with dd/cv...

The game is just become more and more boring (for me at least).

Ranked at least is a bit (a BIT) more fun (even with the rage). Clan wars is the top play because you play with teammates in a decent team vs another decent team.