Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Viper101

All the discussion on Radar

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

105
[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,389 battles

With all the discussion on radar, I have a suggestion. 

Two of common complaints people have is that radar can go through radar, and that radar has no hard counter. 

Both are valid complaints, and I think I have an idea on how to address this...

The Radio Location Finder skill. Currently, it simply points to where the nearest enemy is, and is useful for launching torpedoes in that direction or hunting down undetected foes. 
Now, this skill could be changed slightly. It would retain its original purpose, giving a general idea of where the closest enemy ship is, but would gain the ability to detect an enemy that triggers radar. 

The only caveat is that you (as the ship with RPF) would have to be in radar range to start, thus being detected by the radar. 

 

As many ships don't use RPF outside of competitive, this would make the skill more attractive though limited in use, as it is dependent on your team being in a position to fire on the detected cruiser.

 

This is just a fleeting thought I had that seems like a good way to add a counter of sorts to radar. 
Let me know what you think of this as it seems like a decent idea to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,116
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles
13 minutes ago, Viper101 said:

With all the discussion on radar, I have a suggestion. 

Two of common complaints people have is that radar can go through radar, and that radar has no hard counter. 

Both are valid complaints, and I think I have an idea on how to address this...

The Radio Location Finder skill. Currently, it simply points to where the nearest enemy is, and is useful for launching torpedoes in that direction or hunting down undetected foes. 
Now, this skill could be changed slightly. It would retain its original purpose, giving a general idea of where the closest enemy ship is, but would gain the ability to detect an enemy that triggers radar. 

The only caveat is that you (as the ship with RPF) would have to be in radar range to start, thus being detected by the radar. 

 

As many ships don't use RPF outside of competitive, this would make the skill more attractive though limited in use, as it is dependent on your team being in a position to fire on the detected cruiser.

 

This is just a fleeting thought I had that seems like a good way to add a counter of sorts to radar. 
Let me know what you think of this as it seems like a decent idea to me. 

Radar just like hydro is simply and extension of the auto detection range. To make it not go through land they would have to come up with a new and more complicated, on their end, system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,315
[POP]
Beta Testers
4,113 posts
5,915 battles

jammer consumable,maybe?it mess up with the spotting and last less time than radar but it can be used to run away from radar.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
458
[-AA-]
Members
1,757 posts
6,674 battles
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Radar just like hydro is simply and extension of the auto detection range. To make it not go through land they would have to come up with a new and more complicated, on their end, system.

Brush, do you know whether they ever tested on Radar not going through land?

Currently you can't see through islands, unless you are very close, so they can program radar like that. I assume… and test it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,872
[WOLF3]
Members
20,449 posts
18,810 battles

There is no problem with Radar overall.  It only seems bad because of the new ships emphasizing Radar.  Buffalo & Cleveland.  Worcester, Seattle, Premium Boise / NdJ are on the way.  There will be a lot of Radar for the time being, but as with all new ships, the numbers will go down to normal.  6 Clevelands in a match is not a sustainable thing.

 

Besides, there's already a hard counter to Radar.

 

Battleships.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,116
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,445 posts
11,347 battles
Just now, LemonadeWarrior said:

Brush, do you know whether they ever tested on Radar not going through land?

Currently you can't see through islands, unless you are very close, so they can program radar like that. I assume… and test it.

No I don't know but it would add complication to the game code complication that could cause lag.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,900
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,424 posts
14,757 battles
13 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Currently you can't see through islands, unless you are very close, so they can program radar like that.

The way radar works in the game is to take that 2.0km "guaranteed detection" mechanic and increase it to [radar range] for the duration of the effect. Then it goes back.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
[NMKJT]
Members
3,729 posts

RPF is the way it is so that bot captains don't sail around aimlessly in coop. The skill was in Coop long before they updated the skill tree, they simply made it available.

There are other balance concerns with RPF besides PVP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,787
-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

We have more than one thread going on radar, I'm going to ask you consolidate your feedback on those.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks!

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×