You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

17 comments in this topic

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles

To round out our ranked Commentary for the past season, we are going to different Russian Ship: the Khabarovsk. This game I try to work with my team but instead I have to work for them to win, what should have been a steamroll.

No video on Friday, as that's when I get back from Vacation. Going to make a special video this weekend, and some more of these so that there is a new video next Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Thank you for watching.

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
663 posts
12,447 battles

I have a different setup for my Khabarovsk and play it very differently. I have 5 videos already uploaded on my YouTube channel if you're interested to see how I ran my Khabarovsk in Ranked.

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles
4 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

I have a different setup for my Khabarovsk and play it very differently. I have 5 videos already uploaded on my YouTube channel if you're interested to see how I ran my Khabarovsk in Ranked.

Could you comment a link to your channel and I will take a look. My build on the Khaba is my Randoms and CB build, and since I only played ranked for 3 days I couldn't be asked to change the build. That is what is fun about the Khaba there are a few viable playstyles for it and you aren't shoehorned into a specific one like some ships.

[-BRS-]
Members
663 posts
12,447 battles
6 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

Could you comment a link to your channel and I will take a look. My build on the Khaba is my Randoms and CB build, and since I only played ranked for 3 days I couldn't be asked to change the build. That is what is fun about the Khaba there are a few viable playstyles for it and you aren't shoehorned into a specific one like some ships.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC85uXS6bvbFqp7Y7L5QeYIQ

Here is my YouTube channel. I use the same exact upgrades and captain build for both Random and Ranked. My clan doesn't use Khabarovsk in Clan Battle and I would still use the same build for Clan Battle as well. I actually am thinking of building a second captain for my Khabarovsk as well to experiment a little.

Edited by Lightninger
  • Cool 1

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles

2 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC85uXS6bvbFqp7Y7L5QeYIQ

Here is my YouTube channel. I use the same exact upgrades and captain build for both Random and Ranked. My clan doesn't use Khabarovsk in Clan Battle and I would still use the same build for Clan Battle as well. I actually am thinking of building a second captain for my Khabarovsk as well to experiment a little.

I'll check it out. Would you like some feedback?

[-BRS-]
Members
663 posts
12,447 battles
Just now, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

I'll check it out. Would you like some feedback?

If you want to. I have a very different build and playstyle for my Russian destroyers from everyone else. I have actually been teaching others how to play them, with those learning from me very happy with what they have learned.

[SALVO]
Members
17,709 posts
18,486 battles

Mustard, I liked that you were thinking not just tactically, but strategically in this video, while it seemed that the team mates begging you to do this or that were only thinking about what was directly in front of them.  Ranked battles aren't just about sinking the ships in front of you.  Caps are important too.  And you made the right decision to head to B to take it from the enemy team.

The Shimmy on your team really did make a bonehead decision to get that close to the A cap when all 3 enemy DDs were in the vicinity.

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

Mustard, I liked that you were thinking not just tactically, but strategically in this video, while it seemed that the team mates begging you to do this or that were only thinking about what was directly in front of them.  Ranked battles aren't just about sinking the ships in front of you.  Caps are important too.  And you made the right decision to head to B to take it from the enemy team.

The Shimmy on your team really did make a bonehead decision to get that close to the A cap when all 3 enemy DDs were in the vicinity.

Like I said in the video, I do think that he was a decent player. However, I don't think he has ever been properly shadowed by a gunboat and me trying to get him to do it pulled him out of his comfort zone and made him make some mistakes. So I will share some of the blame in the misplays that he made. I am a little to used to playcalling in CBs and my members know the difference between stall and contest a cap. But that is how Ranked is. It is tough to communicate with only text in a tight situation. 
My main thing about going to A with the rest of the team is that LEMMING TRAINS DONT WORK lol. With that many ships going north it creates a lack of crossfires (our BBs should have split up) and without me and the shima in the south we would have been closed off from two caps and in a crossfire, which without some spectacular play from our team or a spectacular failure from theirs it would have been a loss. In my opinion of course.

[-BRS-]
Members
663 posts
12,447 battles
15 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

Like I said in the video, I do think that he was a decent player. However, I don't think he has ever been properly shadowed by a gunboat and me trying to get him to do it pulled him out of his comfort zone and made him make some mistakes. So I will share some of the blame in the misplays that he made. I am a little to used to playcalling in CBs and my members know the difference between stall and contest a cap. But that is how Ranked is. It is tough to communicate with only text in a tight situation. 
My main thing about going to A with the rest of the team is that LEMMING TRAINS DONT WORK lol. With that many ships going north it creates a lack of crossfires (our BBs should have split up) and without me and the shima in the south we would have been closed off from two caps and in a crossfire, which without some spectacular play from our team or a spectacular failure from theirs it would have been a loss. In my opinion of course.

You are definitely right about not going to A cap. Russian DDs in general, not just Khabarovsk, are not designed to operate in small confined places so just on principle alone and playstyle of the ship, you wouldn't want to go there anyway.

Edited by Lightninger

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles
53 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

If you want to. I have a very different build and playstyle for my Russian destroyers from everyone else. I have actually been teaching others how to play them, with those learning from me very happy with what they have learned.

Would you like me to give you feedback here or on the comment directly on your videos? Also would you like me to only talk about the gameplay, or would you like me to critique the content of your channel?

It looks like the major difference btw our playstyles is that you use CE, correct?

Edited by C0L0NEL_MUSTARD

[-BRS-]
Members
663 posts
12,447 battles
3 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

Would you like me to give you feedback here or on the comment directly on your videos? Also would you like me to only talk about the gameplay, or would you like me to critique the content of your channel?

It looks like the major difference btw our playstyles is that you use CE, correct?

Go ahead and comment on the videos. I actually don't use CE on the Khabarovsk with its current captain. I am looking to build a second captain that includes it. I use concealment module though and use it on all my Russian DDs that can. We can talk channel content probably better in private message as not everyone will probably want to be reading that.

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles
2 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

Go ahead and comment on the videos. I actually don't use CE on the Khabarovsk with its current captain. I am looking to build a second captain that includes it. I use concealment module though and use it on all my Russian DDs that can. We can talk channel content probably better in private message as not everyone will probably want to be reading that.

Ok, I knew it was CE or module. I have considered using CE, so I can out-spot Zaos which are a can be an issue to deal with in the Khaba among with other stealthier cruisers. I personally wouldn't give up Steering Gears 3 because it hinders your ability to make aggressive plays against competent players. It also forces you further away to adequately dodge shells, but there is an argument to be had in favor of your playstyle. I am a aggressive, or proactive player, so the build I use suits that mindset.

[SBS]
Members
2,844 posts
2,385 battles
51 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Mustard, I liked that you were thinking not just tactically, but strategically in this video

Thumbs up for the tactical and strategic style commentary. :cap_like:

[-BRS-]
Members
663 posts
12,447 battles
2 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

Ok, I knew it was CE or module. I have considered using CE, so I can out-spot Zaos which are a can be an issue to deal with in the Khaba among with other stealthier cruisers. I personally wouldn't give up Steering Gears 3 because it hinders your ability to make aggressive plays against competent players. It also forces you further away to adequately dodge shells, but there is an argument to be had in favor of your playstyle. I am a aggressive, or proactive player, so the build I use suits that mindset.

I have the same mindset, to be proactive, make the first move, and force them to react to me rather than the other way around. I have had no issues dodging shells just having SG2, and the concealment lets you push closer and use more tactics that SG3 doesn't.

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles
13 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

I have the same mindset, to be proactive, make the first move, and force them to react to me rather than the other way around. I have had no issues dodging shells just having SG2, and the concealment lets you push closer and use more tactics that SG3 doesn't.

The primary difference in these playstyles is a change in the optimal engagement range as per situation. While having the concealment module allows you to engage at a closer range in theory, if the enemy engages you (and knows how to shoot) you have to pull away further away than the other build in order to effectively evade and keep your guns firing. This difference means the enemy can pressure you further away and sometimes out of position. In order to be effective with either build understanding how the difference effects you is key. I notice that you maintain a longer range when engaging cruisers than I do and that is a result of the build. Not saying mine is better, mind you. The main advantage of your build is the ability to spot high threat cruisers before they can see you and have the option to keep them spotted, which my build does not (Zao has the same concealment as my Khaba build). The third advantage is that it brings your shadowing distance on other DDs closer to them which is probally the most valuable advantage of this build. It also has the ability to chose to disengage or go dark at a closer range than mine. I have only watched a few of your vids, but I haven't really seen these advantages being used yet. Ill keep watching.

Edited by C0L0NEL_MUSTARD

[-BRS-]
Members
663 posts
12,447 battles

Generally shadowing DDs is not really a priority of mine as you will see in the Udaloi video and Tashkent video I will upload today. The extra concealment I gain lets me easily go and counter spot DDs that initially spot me quite a lot of the time, thus no need to play the role of supporting another DD and shadowing them.