You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RockChunker

One modem, 2 pc's. Will this work?

27 comments in this topic

[HBB]
Members
68 posts
4,826 battles

I have a question for you experienced players.  My GF wants to start playing wows at my place.  Hopefully we can team up. I have one modem with 100mbs service.  I have a dedicated cable run to both pc locations.  Can we both play at the same time if she has her own account?  I assume we will both be using the same IP addy.  Thanks in advance...

Sincerely,

Rockchunker

[VOP]
Members
413 posts
7,759 battles

If both pc's are part of the same network i.e. workgroup you should get 2 different IP's. I have a basement of 5 dedicated desktops and we can all play at the same time.

Each PC gets their own IP address and each person has their own account. So yes you should be able to play at the same time.

• Cool 1

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
5 minutes ago, USMCGal said:

I have a basement of 5 dedicated desktops

FIVE!! Wow got your own home based Clan:Smile_Default: Impressive USMCGal:Smile_honoring:

I wish I could get my wife to play WoWs or as she calls it "The Game".:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,696 posts
23,772 battles

My son and I do this all the time. He sits next to me and invites me to division. No need for voicecom or chats.

[_-_]
Members
2,153 posts
14 minutes ago, RockChunker said:

I have a question for you experienced players.  My GF wants to start playing wows at my place.  Hopefully we can team up. I have one modem with 100mbs service.  I have a dedicated cable run to both pc locations.  Can we both play at the same time if she has her own account?  I assume we will both be using the same IP addy.  Thanks in advance...

Sincerely,

Rockchunker

You'll be fine. Game on!

[NWNG]
Members
2,838 posts
4,711 battles
13 minutes ago, USMCGal said:

If both pc's are part of the same network i.e. workgroup you should get 2 different IP's. I have a basement of 5 dedicated desktops and we can all play at the same time.

Each PC gets their own IP address and each person has their own account. So yes you should be able to play at the same time.

Two different IPs are being talked about...

You have Internal IP, and External IP.

Internal IP address would look something like the following: 192.168.0.n

Where n is any whole number from 1-whatever (defaults to 1-100). 0 is used by the modem itself.

Internal IP Address is more often called Local Area Network, or LAN.

When that modem then connects to the internet, that modem is given an IP address. If it is a dynamic address, then it changes every so often. If it is static (most large companies have static IP), then it never changes. ipchicken.com will reveal the external IP address your modem is using. For example, my current External IP address is 207.119.188.103, which is entirely different from my LAN Address. And no, me sharing that IP address, is not harmful in anyway, because that information is easy to obtain through other means.

All computers on the same modem, shares the same External IP Address.

But anyway, yes, you're able to play multiple accounts using the same external IP Address.

Edited by Counter_Gambit

[WOLF7]
Members
12,126 posts
13 minutes ago, USMCGal said:

Why would you need two different IP's?

WG has allowed multiple accounts for years now, there is no downside to multiple players on a single IP.

[RST]
Members
1,906 posts
12,008 battles

Hi,

I work in the IT/Cloud development world.  If your "modem" has a built in router with Ethernet slots in the back, 100 mbps is more than enough for two people to play connected. 
You don't need separate IPs. That's totally wrong. Each connection whether it is via wire or Wi-Fi is assigned a subnet mask which identifies each device.

Hope this answers your question.

Edited by STINKWEED_

[DRACS]
Members
4,734 posts

Wargaming (and every other gaming company) are well aware that most homes now have multiple computers behind a single router, and hence a single external IP address.

It won't be a problem. Have fun.

[VOP]
Members
413 posts
7,759 battles
25 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

FIVE!! Wow got your own home based Clan:Smile_Default: Impressive USMCGal:Smile_honoring:

Thanks Chaos!

Yes we all play this game. Just get her a PC and setup. She will get hooked!

Thanks for the explanations guys. Not a network admin so I do not know how all of that works. Still learning. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,251 posts
16,589 battles
1 hour ago, USMCGal said:

I have a basement of 5 dedicated desktops and we can all play at the same time.

I want to be the guy who gets to cash in the empty aluminum cans after 5 Marines get done playing WoWs!

• Funny 3

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

As long as you are on different accounts, I see no problem from anything happening.

[GLF]
Members
862 posts
12,473 battles

Topic title sent me back to when i literally only had one 28.8k modem between two computers.  i used to set up coax 10Base2 networking to share the modem connection and emulate an IPX network to play DooM II  with some friends . :) 

Edited by AnimaL21
  • Funny 2

[VOP]
Members
413 posts
7,759 battles
15 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I want to be the guy who gets to cash in the empty aluminum cans after 5 Marines get done playing WoWs!

Lol, 1 Marine, 1 AFNG retired, 1 Army Infantry  , Some cans, lol. I don't prefer beer though. :Smile_honoring:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,502 posts
15,495 battles

If your modem has built in router with multiple ethernet connections then yes.

If it doesn't then you need to buy a router.

[HBB]
Members
68 posts
4,826 battles

Holy cow, thanks for all the advice folks.  I'll load up her PC tonight.  Again, thanks to everyone!

Rockchunker

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

Fun Fact:

• "Ethernet splitter" is called a switch (or a router) and it has probably more than 4 ports with or without wifi
  • While there is a Ethernet "splitter", it does not work how you would think

I've had a lot of people ask me at Target for an "Ethernet splitter" and I show them routers and switches and their facial expression are "this guy is lying

Members
473 posts
9,757 battles

Back in the day, 20 years ago, I drilled a hole through the wall and fed the coax cable through the wall to my bestie in our college dorm to play multiplayer in games, so I’m sure that modern tech can find a way to make his happen.

Duke Nukem and Master of Orion :)

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

Network Engineer here:

You have PLENTY of speed down, and likely up as well

Using a Network Cable is limited only by having the proper equipment, and not having to travel 300 feet or more on a single cable.

The WiFi is much more unreliable. 2018 doesn't change the fact that other devices can degrade your signal, and that's before you factor in all the wall, and junk between the WiFi with your equipment, and the PCs. The error checking isn't as good, and your data is much easier to intercept. If you don't have your WiFi password protected you're basically asking to have info stolen eventually, or at the very least your neighbors using the service you're paying for.

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles

Awesome! Glad she is going to join in on the fun that is WoWS! You should be able to use the one modem with no issues. 

Great advice everyone. Thanks for assisting with the OP's question! :)

[O_O]
Members
5,246 posts
12,038 battles
5 hours ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

My son and I do this all the time. He sits next to me and invites me to division. No need for voicecom or chats.

Yep, can relate.  When my son is home on leave (he is in the Navy, as was I) he will bring his laptop into my office.  We'll play WoWS, div up so we can spot each other easier on the minimap, and talk smack all game about who is doing better.  Good times.

• Cool 2

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I have had WoWs parties at my home with my sons and brother in law all using my home modem. 

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles
5 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

Topic title sent me back to when i literally only had one 28.8k modem between two computers.  i used to set up coax 10Base2 networking to share the modem connection and emulate an IPX network to play DooM II  with some friends . :) 

This takes me back! We used to get 10 or 12 guys together link up with Coax and play Carmageddon! I really wish someone would remake that game! Things are to "PC" now though............

[LUCK]
Members
1,696 posts
23,772 battles
30 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Yep, can relate.  When my son is home on leave (he is in the Navy, as was I) he will bring his laptop into my office.  We'll play WoWS, div up so we can spot each other easier on the minimap, and talk smack all game about who is doing better.  Good times.

Mine loves to just drive into the middle of everything in Tirp. Complains when he gets cooked but crows like no tomorrow when he takes out 3 or 4.