Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Interesting SC occurrence

13 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
3,307 posts
9,766 battles

So was playing with @TheHolySpork on voice comms last night and was sitting collecting a container in port and an SC swung into view. As it was swinging into view I heard him say that he got an SC as well from collecting his container.

We pretty much collected our containers at virtually the same moment and both got super containers. 

It got me wondering, if super containers wasn't really an element of rng, but tied to a time tick. I'm no programmer and don't know if that's even possible or logical. But I wonder if there is a period of 2 seconds every 100 seconds where if you collect a container it will be a super container. 

Just thought it was interesting. 

You can see and hear it happening here:

Https://www.twitch.tv/videos/272636106?t=00h56m31s

[TSPC]
Members
2,379 posts
7,260 battles

If it's a random calculation and uses a timestamp as a seed for the random number algorithm, it'd definitely be possible (though it'd suggest the timestamp fidelity is only seconds and not ms would be somewhat questionable).

[OO7]
Members
3,307 posts
9,766 battles
Just now, enderland07 said:

If it's a random calculation and uses a timestamp as a seed for the random number algorithm, it'd definitely be possible (though it'd suggest the timestamp fidelity is only seconds and not ms would be somewhat questionable).

That's true, meaning it would be extremely hard to get 2 people clicking in an extremely narrow ms window. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,594 posts
10,056 battles

Programmers can pretty much do anything they want.

As a debug/test part of program development, a programmer will set in a 'cheat code' or a sequence of steps to make something happen 100% of the time -- to test that part of the program.... then get distracted and forget and leave that there.

Happens.

[TSPC]
Members
2,379 posts
7,260 battles
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

That's true, meaning it would be extremely hard to get 2 people clicking in an extremely narrow ms window. 

That being said there isn't much conceptual reason for the server to care ms vs second because the likilhood of this mattering practically, short of sync collecting, is zero.

3 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Programmers can pretty much do anything they want.

As a debug/test part of program development, a programmer will set in a 'cheat code' or a sequence of steps to make something happen 100% of the time -- to test that part of the program.... then get distracted and forget and leave that there.

Happens.

Or.... they use mocks/tests?

Though. Perhaps a software dev best practice conversation isn't ideal for here, hah!

• Cool 1

[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,793 battles

I was just happy to see a SC from a random crate collection. :) 

But it was cool, coincidence or programmed. And I got better loot cuz I made @Ducky_shotopen his first.

*adjusts his tin foil spork*

Better.

• Funny 1

[OO7]
Members
3,307 posts
9,766 battles
2 hours ago, TheHolySpork said:

I was just happy to see a SC from a random crate collection. :) 

But it was cool, coincidence or programmed. And I got better loot cuz I made @Ducky_shotopen his first.

*adjusts his tin foil spork*

Better.

Wait, I wasn't using any tinfoil... Should I be? 

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,058 posts
4,743 battles

all that wishy washy talk about something that don't even exist.

[RKLES]
Members
7,543 posts
9,589 battles
3 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

If you got some people you know together that have really fast reflexes and you got several computers and had some sort of signal that they all clicked at the same moment then it might be able to be tested.

[OO7]
Members
3,307 posts
9,766 battles
11 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If you got some people you know together that have really fast reflexes and you got several computers and had some sort of signal that they all clicked at the same moment then it might be able to be tested.

That would take some doing, if we are talking milliseconds, then you would have to figure out the lag between computers and calculate that in, but it would probably be doable, but the max containers you could try is 3 per day. Seems like something that won't be able to be tested. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,543 posts
9,589 battles
5 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

That would take some doing, if we are talking milliseconds, then you would have to figure out the lag between computers and calculate that in, but it would probably be doable, but the max containers you could try is 3 per day. Seems like something that won't be able to be tested. 

Yeah if it were milliseconds, but then again if it were milliseconds then it would not matter anyway as far as being able to predict SC drops.

Sign in to follow this