You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

More Radar Ships - Shift in Meta

35 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
2,732 posts
15,706 battles

NoZoupForYou just posted a new video

https://youtu.be/xuTi15tqLUE

So, the introduction of new radar ships (the split of the USN CA line) is bringing a tipping point:

1. Going from 4-5 DD's to 1-3 DD's in T8-T10 matches. A bad time to be a high tier DD player.

2. Good/Bad time to be a BB player. 

a) good- you now have more targets to blapp

b) bad - now you're going to be burnt down faster. :Smile-angry:

Now an interesting thing Zoup noted (and I agree) is the emergence of more CV's why this is happening before the CV rework is even finalized, I have no idea.

So, maybe playing CA hunters might be a good idea? Scharnhorst, Hood, Kronstadt and Stalingrad? 

Edited by Bill_Halsey
spell check
  • Boring 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,485 posts
3,783 battles

I for one will keep abusing the USN CL's. There is nothing easier in the game ATM then getting detected / pressing a button and shooting at what is detecting me. 

I look forward to Worcester as doing this for 56 seconds is going to be glorious. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[HINON]
Members
9,281 posts
1 hour ago, zarth12 said:

[edited]

Nope, just decided to finally add more USN tech tree ships since they haven't added any since launch. It's likely to be only a temporary shift just like all other new line releases.

[LUCK]
Members
1,376 posts
20,559 battles
8 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

I for one will keep abusing the USN CL's. There is nothing easier in the game ATM then getting detected / pressing a button and shooting at what is detecting me. 

I look forward to Worcester as doing this for 56 seconds is going to be glorious. 

So you're a Des Moines aficionado? That's still USN and as far as I know, the only ship that can boast that long a radar duration with the special upgrade. I don't think Mino is that long, nor Moskva.

[CRMSN]
5,485 posts
3,783 battles
Just now, Wye_So_Serious said:

So you're a Des Moines aficionado? That's still USN and as far as I know, the only ship that can boast that long a radar duration with the special upgrade. I don't think Mino is that long, nor Moskva.

No right now its the cleveland with its .1 concealment vs radar range. 

But I was talking about the Worcester that will have a 9.9 km radar at 56 secs with mod vs its 9.5 concealment. So it will allow you to radar targets the moment you are detected. 

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,430 posts
6,765 battles

Well, Cleveland was one of the most popular ships in the entire game, so of course people are currently playing her a lot. Not to mention the USN campaign that we have. This will eventually tone down, so I see no reason to be worried at that point.

[LUCK]
Members
1,376 posts
20,559 battles
4 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

No right now its the cleveland with its .1 concealment vs radar range. 

But I was talking about the Worcester that will have a 9.9 km radar at 56 secs with mod vs its 9.5 concealment. So it will allow you to radar targets the moment you are detected. 

Ahh...when you said "abusing" I interpreted that to mean you abusing USN CLs.

But yes, can't wait for Worcester.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
20 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Now an interesting thing Zoup noted (and I agree) is the emergence of more CV's why this is happening before the CV rework is even finalized, I have no idea.

Theory: the increase in AA has motivated CV players, who were sick of being owned by fighters, to give things another shot. Sure, it will be difficult for them to do things, but now they have a safe area for their planes, and they aren't effectively solely responsible for winning the air war.

• Cool 2

[LUCK]
Members
1,376 posts
20,559 battles
Just now, cometguy said:

Theory: the increase in AA has motivated CV players, who were sick of being owned by fighters, to give things another shot. Sure, it will be difficult for them to do things, but now they have a safe area for their planes, and they aren't effectively solely responsible for winning the air war.

Good point. Multiple AA cruisers can help with red CV fighters using DFAA instead of waiting to use it on strike squadrons provided they coordinate their usage and proximity.

Members
1,579 posts
8,515 battles
28 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

So, the introduction of new radar ships (the split of the USN CA line) is bringing a tipping point:

1. Going from 4-5 DD's to 1-3 DD's in T8-T10 matches. A bad time to be a high tier DD player.

So, maybe playing CA hunters might be a good idea? Scharnhorst, Hood, Kronstadt and Stalingrad? 

I would wager the up tick in CV's is a result of the Halsey campaign more than anything.

[TOG]
Members
2,732 posts
15,706 battles
1 minute ago, Kevs02Accord said:

I would wager the up tick in CV's is a result of the Halsey campaign more than anything.

That would make sense since some of the higher missions require a CV or a DD to complete.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,882 posts
8,332 battles
On 6/13/2018 at 9:30 AM, Bill_Halsey said:

DD drivers act like radar has no cd and unlimited charges. I remember when there was no counter to smokes; nobody stopped playing battleships or cruisers because dds could not be seen in a smoke screen.

Edited by Crokodone
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,932 posts
9,789 battles
26 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

DD drivers act like radar has no cd and unlimited charges. I remember when there was no counter to smokes; nobody stopped playing battleships or cruisers because when dds could not be seen in a smoke screen.

With the number of radar ships, it at times feels like it has a 30 second cooldown. 

Cleveland’s are hiding behind islands, radaring me, and able to shoot me because of the shell arcs.

[TOG]
Members
2,732 posts
15,706 battles
19 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

What uptick in CVs? There isnt one. 

It has been for me....seems that 1 in 3 matches there've been CV's in the match.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,882 posts
8,332 battles
Just now, HazardDrake said:

With the number of radar ships, it at times feels like it has a 30 second cooldown. 

Cleveland’s are hiding behind islands, radaring me, and able to shoot me because of the shell arcs.

On most mid to high tier maps, like haven and warriors path most of the islands are too high to shoot over. Radar makes it easier for team mates to shoot you, not necessarily a personal use consumable.

[-AA-]
Members
1,734 posts
6,657 battles
12 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Because of that arc you can dodge the shells. Not much to worry. 

BB AP is being dealt with.

[CRMSN]
5,485 posts
3,783 battles
2 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I mean i have no issues hitting DD's from 9km with my cleveland.  I cant imagine it being very difficult in a Worcester either. 

[TOG]
Members
2,732 posts
15,706 battles
2 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

The problem isn't dodging 1 ship's fire. It's dodging up to 7 of his buddies fire. 

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,589 posts
3,884 battles

The meta shift is driven by a culture WG is fostering of "Destroyers don't deserve to play the game".

This destroyer player isn't touching any destroyer higher than Fujin from now on. Which is a shame because I liked Akatsuki and wanted to get better with Shimakaze and Akizuki, but now with so much radar and with chain radar creating 20km-wide circles where Concealment just straight up doesn't exist for the entire duration of the match-- no. Not worth the frustration.

The only tier 6+ ships I'll play from now on are battleships. Which is exactly what WG wants, apparently. More battleships. Despite saying regularly for the past year that there are "too many" battleships, they do everything in their power to discourage destroyer play and encourage more battleships. So now they're getting it.

• Bad 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,734 posts
6,657 battles
1 hour ago, Cobraclutch said:

I mean i have no issues hitting DD's from 9km with my cleveland.  I cant imagine it being very difficult in a Worcester either. 

Me too when I play cruiser, but the other way around when I play a DD.

When played right you will only sustain a little bit of damage. Besides you made the Cleveland light up so that it can be killed.

1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

The problem isn't dodging 1 ship's fire. It's dodging up to 7 of his buddies fire. 

At that point you did something wrong. Neither BB or cruiser play will go better when you can’t position in the higher tiers.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,589 posts
3,884 battles
3 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

At that point you did something wrong. Neither BB or cruiser play will go better when you can’t position in the higher tiers.

While this is completely wrong, I know that nothing I say will change your mind, so I won't bother.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,838 posts
53 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The meta shift is driven by a culture WG is fostering of "Destroyers don't deserve to play the game".

This destroyer player isn't touching any destroyer higher than Fujin from now on. Which is a shame because I liked Akatsuki and wanted to get better with Shimakaze and Akizuki, but now with so much radar and with chain radar creating 20km-wide circles where Concealment just straight up doesn't exist for the entire duration of the match-- no. Not worth the frustration.

The only tier 6+ ships I'll play from now on are battleships. Which is exactly what WG wants, apparently. More battleships. Despite saying regularly for the past year that there are "too many" battleships, they do everything in their power to discourage destroyer play and encourage more battleships. So now they're getting it.

The other point you touch on is that radar is taking away one of a DDs key roles and taking skill out of the game and replacing it with a consumable.

Which is vision. I can hit my radar key and light up everything in a 10 mile radius for a minute, with terrain being inconsequential. 

DDs are no longer needed to provide vision. And it's a lot of work, easier to dab the radar key. 

[-AA-]
Members
1,734 posts
6,657 battles
26 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

While this is completely wrong, I know that nothing I say will change your mind, so I won't bother.

How do you mean? Am I just lucky?

Getting targetted by 7 ships every game is not an easy thing to do...

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,589 posts
3,884 battles
1 minute ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

How do you mean? Am I just lucky?

Getting targetted by 7 ships every game is not an easy thing to do...

Anyone in gun range can and often does target a spotted destroyer regardless of range. Many take shots as well, because a destroyer is considered a priority target.

If you're saying "You only get targeted if you're bad" it's just demonstrating a lack of awareness in target priority and, more concerning, a lack of awareness that gun range and accuracy increase as tiers increase.