Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

My How to play Gearing replays

17 comments in this topic

Members
1,881 posts
10,355 battles

Since their was interest in other DDs specific education I will begin to compile my lessons here as I get time to record them.  Here are my current Gearing replays to date.  If you have any questions I am more than willing to try to help you out on any of the US DDs, I have most of them sitting in port already from training clan mates, or helping with grinds.

• Cool 4

[SYN]
Members
3,129 posts
14,387 battles

Really interesting thanks for posting these

1,542 posts
26 battles

Some great info here, thanks for sharing Kuro! I think it's your avatar, but I'm always surprised when I hear a deep voice in your vids :Smile_teethhappy:

[DRACS]
Members
3,620 posts

Thanks! I'll take a look once I'm home!

I love the Gearing. So anything that makes me a better Gearing player is happyawesomesauce

Members
1,881 posts
10,355 battles

This game was kind of meh for me when I was recording it.  I actually needed to watch the replay to see just how effective I was at spotting for my team.  There are a few teachable moments in the replay about when you have a CA spotted signs they give you that they are going to pop radar soon.  These visual ques give you time to turn out and get headed in a safer direction.  Another is when I enter A cap, I dont hug the island at all, instead going almost as wide as I can.  I am trying to spot radar CA that might try to use the island next to A cap to screen their approach, having them pop up with me inside radar is just a no way situation.  That caution is an example of playing radar safe in a DD.

Hope you guys enjoy.

Members
1,881 posts
10,355 battles

Breaking down some knife fighting Gearing engagements, discussing different options for example if the red DDs are shooting non IFHE 127mm HE or less at you giving more side to take advantage of the armor immunity your side plate offers can be a good option.  There are lots of tactics you can use to mitigate damage, or maximize damage.  Let me know if you would like me to expound more into that.

I had a discussion with CUTER regarding releasing my Clan Battle replays.  I have been told not to publish them until cleared to do so.  Its a fair statement, I talk a lot about why I am doing what I am doing, my intents, etc.  Letting that information out mid season just hurts my clan as we duke it out in the top 10.  Please be patient I will be releasing a chunk of Gearing, Yue Yang and maybe some Shima CB videos as soon as its ok to do so.

[WOLF6]
Members
63 posts
3,355 battles

Thanks for the Gearing replays. I run a Fletcher but love watching any DD vids. After loading I I would count how many radar ships were on the other side. Now I just play it like they all are and look to better position myself. I’ve been tempted to get the Gearing buy due to the long toro load time I’ve been putting it off. Now that WG made changes to its torps I’m once again looking at it. Running the Fletcher I have a lot of respect for the T10 DD’s and rarely engage with guns but would rather spot them for someone else. I’ve been on the losing side too many times. Have you tried the different torps and if so which do you like better? Also if you have any Fletcher vids post them if you can. Once again thanks for the tips.

Members
1,881 posts
10,355 battles
7 hours ago, pepperct said:

Thanks for the Gearing replays. I run a Fletcher but love watching any DD vids. After loading I I would count how many radar ships were on the other side. Now I just play it like they all are and look to better position myself. I’ve been tempted to get the Gearing buy due to the long toro load time I’ve been putting it off. Now that WG made changes to its torps I’m once again looking at it. Running the Fletcher I have a lot of respect for the T10 DD’s and rarely engage with guns but would rather spot them for someone else. I’ve been on the losing side too many times. Have you tried the different torps and if so which do you like better? Also if you have any Fletcher vids post them if you can. Once again thanks for the tips.

Glad to help.

Gearing takes some time to adjust to, but once you do she is far superior to the lower tier sisters.  For randoms I prefer the 10.5km torps primarily for the quicker reload.  For competitive I still run the 16.5km torps, they are just so flexible.  I vary my builds a lot, sometimes just to get a different play style, like F3's on Shima. 

I have almost every DD T7 and above.  If I dont have it and you guys would like something just post it, preferably in the YT comments so I am sure to see it. 

I'll get some Fletcher games in for you soon.

[ASHIP]
Members
46 posts
9,940 battles

You have given me all your secrets now when I have you on the other team you shall be mine........... or not

Members
1,881 posts
10,355 battles
5 hours ago, Treeodeth said:

You have given me all your secrets now when I have you on the other team you shall be mine........... or not

I had this discussion with other DD players, some felt I was putting myself at a disadvantage by discussing this.  Honestly beating me will just force me to learn, adapt, and create new tactics to defeat what I taught.  Its a vicious circle that I happen to adore.

[ASHIP]
Members
46 posts
9,940 battles

Nah im messing with you I see you a lot same team and opposite teams, I just know when u are on the other team that you wont do the normal potato dd thing hoping I spawn opposite side of you I prefer taking on the potato DD's. Had a benson open up on me in my Khab and I just felt bad for the guy but what was I supposed to do.

[ARP]
Members
63 posts
1,704 battles

On the first video I wouldn't have tried to intercept the Khaba, just keeping him spotted would have been enough with the firepower behind you, but I have a more passive style when playing DD's.

Not bad. 

Keep up the good work ;)

What's your opinion on running it with RPF instead of AFT? 

o7

Spacey_

Members
1,881 posts
10,355 battles
25 minutes ago, Spacey_ said:

On the first video I wouldn't have tried to intercept the Khaba, just keeping him spotted would have been enough with the firepower behind you, but I have a more passive style when playing DD's.

Not bad. 

Keep up the good work ;)

What's your opinion on running it with RPF instead of AFT? 

o7

Spacey_

I prefer RPF for competitions, and never really use AFT.  I get more mileage out of shorter gun ranges on US DDs.  I prefer to run the stock GFCS on most of them to increase my chances of doing things like blind firing (you see some in my Fletcher game I just posted above) into smoke while remaining undetected, or just opening fire to harass a ship near max range while kiting out of gun range to stealth up.  I dont really use smoke for myself that often for AFT to be a thing.

For randoms I prefer to take more three point skills rather than a second 4th point skill.  Gearing is a beast close in, and really shouldnt care if you run into a DD close in.

If you watch my videos closely, you will see how often I am changing my Gearing builds.  Probably more than any other DD, which demonstrates just how flexible Gearing is.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Members
1,881 posts
10,355 battles

This game I ran out of my fancy camo, and found out when I loaded in.  Thanks Battle On  button!  Still its a good game to show how to play a spotting disadvantage.  Being the only real capping DD, my job wasnt so much damage but getting the caps, and well staying alive.

Sign in to follow this