Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Question about when to use HE when playing BB's?

11 comments in this topic

Members
251 posts
5,181 battles

I have a tendency to not use it if I'm not using a RN BB which was rare until recently. What am I looking for in terms of effectiveness of using HE? Is it just fire chance or are there other factors? I need to stop using AP all the time and use HE when the right situation presents itself. TIA.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,925 posts
10,485 battles

General rule of thumb of when to swtich to HE, or switch targets

-Gun Calibre overmatch and when to use AP vs HE, not covering t3 and t4 bbs

283mm to 356mm guns overmatches 19mm of armor, aka t5 and below bbs and most Cruiser plating up to t7

381mm guns will overmatch up to 26mm of armor, but not anything higher. High tier usn and german cruisers and all t8 plus bb plating will be immune to overmatch, thus switch to HE or switch targets when they're bow in.

406-420mm guns- Willl overmatch 27mm plating, but not 30mm+ plating found on t10 cruiser plating (dm deck, zao, hindy, Henri) and won't overmatch 32mm.

431mm and 456mm guns-now you can overmatch 30mm plating, bit not 32mm plating. Great against t10 cruisers

460mm. Can overmatch up to 32mm but nothing higher. 

• Cool 1

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I have a tendency to not use it if I'm not using a RN BB which was rare until recently. What am I looking for in terms of effectiveness of using HE? Is it just fire chance or are there other factors? I need to stop using AP all the time and use HE when the right situation presents itself. TIA.

When you cant overmatch an enemy ship thats piloted by a good player, you should generally use HE. For example, if you are playing Arizona and are facing off against another Arizona (who is always well angled) - whoever starts HE spamming first will generally win the engagement. AP has very limited use if your opponent is well angled and cant be overmatched.

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

1) Against heavily angled target BB

2) If you see enemy BB been hit by a torpedo

3) If only target that you know of in the vicinity is a DD

4) Against a heavily angled kiting cruiser occasionally. Especially if they are higher tier and you can't overmatch their bow/aft.

[WORX]
Members
2,016 posts
13,515 battles

Simple question requires a simple answer. Regardless of Nation and your playing a BB, you use HE when

• they're more the 3 red DD in the red team. GUN DDs/cruisers can;t secure your survival only your sinking in this situation
  • Or when your DDs are gone and there are red DDs near you.
  • Or you the tier X flamethrower Conqueror

These Situations are the only situation you should use HE as a BB. GL and HF

• Bad 1

Members
567 posts
75 battles

When you are kiting another BB or being kited by a BB or the more common bow tanking/heavily angled unless you can over match. If not sure if you can, stick to HE. When you know your next target is likely a DD or if the match starts with four or more DD's, I'll start with HE loaded but I only recommend that if you are highly skilled at sniping DD's from 15+ km out. Otherwise, it's not worth waiting the long reload on a miss while also revealing your position and being the first ship 5+ people decide to rain hell on. That's how crappers die in three min in a BB. 

The other good way to use HE is if you're bottom tier, especially T8. Sure sometimes you can get some nice damage and maybe a lucky cit on a T10 but overall your damage will be too inconsistent. Still use AP on broadsided cruisers when you're bottom tier though. 

The biggest thing is using HE in kiting situations. Most derps will spend five min shooting at you with AP and are too brain damaged to think, gee I'm barely doing any damage, maybe I should switch to HE. It's embarrassing to be that stupid but that's the player base for ya. Don't be that guy. Always look at the damage done by your shots and if they are doing little or no damage, HE would have been the better choice, and vice versa. 

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Members
3,661 posts
4,571 battles

1) Against destroyers.

2) 95% of the time as a British BB.

3) Against angled same-tier BBs or upper tier BBs (unless they go broadside, in which case you can punish the hell out of them with AP). 

In pretty much all other circumstances, it's AP 

[INTEL]
Members
871 posts
9,069 battles
7 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Simple question requires a simple answer. Regardless of Nation and your playing a BB, you use HE when

• they're more the 3 red DD in the red team. GUN DDs/cruisers can;t secure your survival only your sinking in this situation
  • Or when your DDs are gone and there are red DDs near you.
  • Or you the tier X flamethrower Conqueror

These Situations are the only situation you should use HE as a BB. GL and HF

uh... no.

Its a completely situational choice.

Some recent examples of how situational the choice can be.

Scharny in a T9 match. 283mm guns just don't cut it when shooting at higher tier cruisers and BB's that aren't dumb enough to show broadside. Then there's that amazingly ahistorical German accuracy. One recent T9 match every AP round I was landing on a pair of Clevelands was a bounce or overpen, and not many overpens. That's a sure way to get a fiery trip back to port. Switch to HE and land one good volley, setting a pair of fires, and one Cleveland decided he didn't wanna play anymore. His buddy got deleted by a teammate and my "pal" wasn't able to kite away from me.

Richelieu in a T10 vs a bow tanking Montana. Normally HE would be the only way you're going to do any real damage with the Richy's 380mm guns. Exception in this case, the Montana was inside 10km, closing range, and had his guns turned to shoot at someone else. I stayed with AP, bounced and shattered a bunch, a couple of overpens for damage numbers. I also totally destroyed both his front turrets before switching to HE. He rammed me. Ok dude, if you wanna trade a Monty on 50% HP for a nearly dead Richy, fine by me.

Musashi surely doesn't have this issue with its 460mm guns, right? Trading shots with a DM behind an island. I couldn't actually see him and my spotter plane was on cooldown. Kept hitting his belt armor. A single volley of 460mm HE convinced him he was entirely too far from cover.

Edited by Ares1967

[DAS]
Members
361 posts
4,632 battles

I don't disagree with what people have said so far, but I do prefer shooting AP just about always because with my luck they always turn broadside on as soon as HE has been loaded. That or another targets presents itself. I just aim higher if I do have to shoot at a well angled target.

[BNKR]
Members
853 posts
884 battles
3 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Republique  spams HE about as well as Conq.

I don't know why you would, though. Republiqué has one of the best armor piercing rounds in the game. I'd only shoot HE against a select few angled battleships. Everything else gets 431mm of AP Liberté.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this