Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Natsukirei

York vs New Orleans for my Playstyle

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

10
[HAPPY]
Members
25 posts
3,271 battles
Hey guys
 
So i have reached the point with USN and German cruisers ( i spent alot of time playing both, i liked having a few ships ) that i can buy either the New Orleans or the York
 
I find that my playstyle is a mix between survival and aggressive, but i have tried DD's and just did not enjoy them, i like sitting back with good range on cruisers , especially german, and sniping, supporting, supporting BB's, but at the same time im also not the best yet at WSDA angling or avoiding shots, so i enjoy German cruisers so far for the survivability and being able to turn tail and run xD
 
So i guess my playstyle is being in the fight, open water, and being fast/agile with good range.
 
So im stuck between these ships as the New Orleans on paper seems to have more than the york. and american AP i learned from the Pensacola is very strong
 
I also try to think long term ahead, my friend is in the japanese line 1 tier ahead of me in the Mogami, so im trying to consider what line would best support him, and the german cruisers like the hipper and roon seem fantastic with secondaries , torps, and torp protection for being side to side with a mogami
 
Also i know its petty, but i do care abit about looks and the Hipper and the Roon are beautiful ship's in my opinion and seem worth the york grind.
Edited by Natsukirei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, Natsukirei said:
So i guess my playstyle is being in the fight, open water, and being fast/agile with good range.

Well, both of them have range (check) and both of them are slow, fat cows (fail). If you want fast and agile, get yourself a Myoko or whatever French baguette-fueled cruiser they have at T7.

New Orleans struggles in open water, York can bounce quite a bit of battleship AP if you angle correctly and don't sit too far away (otherwise plunging citadels galore). Both US and German AP are great. US has better autobounce and normalisation angles, Germans do lots of damage with their shells.

York has better, but still a bit floaty arcs, so it's hard to use AP at range. Same goes for NO. Only within 11-12 km (York) or 10 km (NO) AP becomes useful source of income. 

Hipper, Roon and Hindy that come after York are great ships especially after recent Hipper buff. US heavy cruiser line is a bit of hit and miss until Des Moines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[HAPPY]
Members
25 posts
3,271 battles
4 minutes ago, geser98 said:

Well, both of them have range (check) and both of them are slow, fat cows (fail). If you want fast and agile, get yourself a Myoko or whatever French baguette-fueled cruiser they have at T7.

New Orleans struggles in open water, York can bounce quite a bit of battleship AP if you angle correctly and don't sit too far away (otherwise plunging citadels galore). Both US and German AP are great. US has better autobounce and normalisation angles, Germans do lots of damage with their shells.

York has better, but still a bit floaty arcs, so it's hard to use AP at range. Same goes for NO. Only within 11-12 km (York) or 10 km (NO) AP becomes useful source of income. 

Hipper, Roon and Hindy that come after York are great ships especially after recent Hipper buff. US heavy cruiser line is a bit of hit and miss until Des Moines.

Thanks for the info, and yeah im really thinking the york grind will be worth, the hipper and roon i absolutely adore looks wise and the stats seem really solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
998
[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,189 posts
4,996 battles
3 hours ago, geser98 said:

Well, both of them have range (check) and both of them are slow, fat cows (fail). If you want fast and agile, get yourself a Myoko or whatever French baguette-fueled cruiser they have at T7.

Eh, I wouldn't call Myoko "agile" or even fun for that matter. She's fast and has more guns than her peers, but that's where her pluses end. As for Algerie, I'm enjoying her. She's pretty similar to Yorck, but has the odd distinction of being the fastest (speed boost active) AND slowest (speed boost on cooldown) cruiser at her tier. Still keeps those lucky French torps though, those are always a plus.

Seems to me that if you want "agile" in a tier 7 cruiser you either get a premium or a Fiji, otherwise this is the tier that's supposed to teach you to avoid open water at all but the longest ranges. That said, for that playstyle I think you'd be best served with the German line, OP. They tend to be a bit more survivable out in the open, and you can't go wrong with that AP or their hydro for when push comes to shove and you need to chase down a destroyer. Battlcruiser Roon and Battleship Hindenburg are both loads of fun, and excellent all-range platforms that can outbrawl their peers or spew delicious amounts of damage from range depending on the situation, they will not disappoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,212
[-K-]
Members
6,605 posts
10,966 battles

When the situation allows it, Yorck is a fantastic brawler for a cruiser.  Her combination of lethal torps, hydro, and devastating AP make her a good brawler when played properly.  At sub-10km, that German AP hits like a truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,708
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles
18 hours ago, geser98 said:

Well, both of them have range (check) and both of them are slow, fat cows (fail). If you want fast and agile, get yourself a Myoko or whatever French baguette-fueled cruiser they have at T7.

New Orleans struggles in open water, York can bounce quite a bit of battleship AP if you angle correctly and don't sit too far away (otherwise plunging citadels galore). Both US and German AP are great. US has better autobounce and normalisation angles, Germans do lots of damage with their shells.

York has better, but still a bit floaty arcs, so it's hard to use AP at range. Same goes for NO. Only within 11-12 km (York) or 10 km (NO) AP becomes useful source of income. 

Hipper, Roon and Hindy that come after York are great ships especially after recent Hipper buff. US heavy cruiser line is a bit of hit and miss until Des Moines.

NOLA's AP is deadly at any range she can hit a target.  She's also very good in open water.  Since the split, NOLA is fantastic. That said, the rest of the German line is also very good in open water, and the USN ships, not so much.  My recommendation for an open-water playstyle is German.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[HAPPY]
Members
25 posts
3,271 battles

Thanks for all the support guys and advice.

I bought the yorck, and i love it. it's definitely alot to get used to with the HE / AP switching, but knowing the hipper is next in line has me extremely excited. and i am loving the yorck itself and i just think with time ill get used to it.

also with upgrades ;3;

im poor after buying it haha :(

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
6 minutes ago, Natsukirei said:

I bought the yorck, and i love it. it's definitely alot to get used to with the HE / AP switching, but knowing the hipper is next in line has me extremely excited. and i am loving the yorck itself and i just think with time ill get used to it.

I suggest investing a skill point into Expert Loader. Makes life much more comfortable. Hipper is going to be even more fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,708
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles
On 6/13/2018 at 11:21 PM, geser98 said:

I suggest investing a skill point into Expert Loader. Makes life much more comfortable. Hipper is going to be even more fun!

I am loving expert loader on my CAs.  I always kind of poo-pooed the skill, but on one or two of my heavy cruisers I dropped an extra point in it, because I could.  Now, I certainly notice when I do /not/ have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
5 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

I always kind of poo-pooed the skill, but on one or two of my heavy cruisers I dropped an extra point in it, because I could.  Now, I certainly notice when I do /not/ have it.

I always took it on all heavy cruisers with long reload starting from Furutaka. Otherwise you tend to lose so many opportunities to devastate a cruiser or vice versa - murder a DD in one salvo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
581
[WOLF9]
Members
3,889 posts

  Haven't played my Yorck in a long, long time- too many other grinds going on!  I do remember enjoying the hell out of it, though- and it being responsible for my love affair with CA's, lol.   It's pretty tanky, and unlike every other German cruiser has pretty good HE.  Floaty arcs make long range shooting challenging- to say the least- when dealing with speedy maneuverable ships.   Like all German CA's it's a pretty complete package.   Plus you get the rest of the German CA's after, and they're all good!

  New Orleans I've been playing today.  I needed a break after playing tiers 8-10 relentlessly lately.  It did the best out of all the ships I played today and, surprisingly, is my best Ranked ship! (when it was tier 8)  Other than not having torps, it also is a pretty balanced package.   Moving it to tier 7 is the best thing that ever happened to it, lol.   Losing radar is no biggie, compared to the benny's it gained in the form of better MM.  (no more tier 10's!!!, not being bottom tier all the time!)   I like the firing angles it has- it's pretty easy to keep all 3 turrets on target while kiting.  Plus, the USN AP.   Good HE and it's a good AA cruiser   I like to throw AA and Speed flags on it, just to get the most out of it.

  I, personally, am a fan of the USN CA's- I love the playstyle, and they just work for me.  Just finished the grind to Des Moines not too long ago.   All three of the high tier CA's are also good- Balti is my favorite CA.  Buffalo was very enjoyable- 12 of those 8" guns is just devastating!  The extra length, and decreased agility that comes with it make it a bit squishier than Balti, which is why that one is still my favorite.  Des Moines is still fairly new to me, but I already like it- a LOT. (in fact it topped my short list of must get ships since the beginning)  If you really hate CV's- Des Moines is for you!  That ship just mows down squadrons like no tomorrow!  The silly-high RoF of those 8" autoloaders, kinda gives it the feel of a light cruiser- but the damage done is much more satisfying, lol!

  I'm just one tier away from maxing out German CA's too.

  Either way, you get a good ship- that leads to even better ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,159
[WOLF3]
Members
20,970 posts
19,424 battles

NOLA has traditionally had many problems in the game, but IIRC, WG didn't touch her guns much, if at all, when downtiering her for the USN Cruiser Split.  If her guns are preserved from her Tier VIII version, those should be very good guns.  When she was a Tier VIII, despite her many problems, her guns were never one of them.  Nice shell flight characteristics, and punishing shells.  Especially against Cruisers.

 

The 203mm guns as found on Pensacola, Indianapolis, NOLA behave the same way.  They lack the powerful SHS AP shells of Baltimore, Buffalo, Des Memes, but the CA guns found on Tier VI-VII USN CAs are easier to use at range than the VIII-X USN CAs.  The VI-VII USN CAs can hit a Cruiser sized target easily at their max range, a DD with reasonable chances at 12km or so.  VIII-X USN CAs struggle to hit Cruiser sized targets at max range, and trying to hit a DD over 10km away is a pointless venture.  Even 9km can be a problem if it isn't DM spamming her shells out of the VIII-X USN CAs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,167 posts
4,892 battles

I want your opinions. When up-tiered in a Tier 8/9 match, especially on a bigger map, do you have an easier time in the New Orleans or a ship like the Helena / Atlanta? It could just be me, but I find that sometimes I have an easier time when up-tiered in one of the light cruisers because I just hug islands anyway. I'd do the same even in a top tier match. However, I've not found a good way to play my New Orleans in a Tier 8 or 9 match on one of the bigger maps, so how do I perform in the NOLA even when up-tiered? This is not to say I don't struggle when up-tiered in a USN CL because I very much do, especially when confronted with the high tier meta where people engage at range (while getting nothing done anyway) and flee a lot, because these ships rely on the enemy pushing in, and for your flanks to be secured.

   I know island hugging is also part of the gameplay for USN CAs with the 203mm 8/55, but due to 853m shell velocity I haven't found the right distance from an island in which I'm close enough to not be detected, but can still lob almost or all of my shells over the island.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,159
[WOLF3]
Members
20,970 posts
19,424 battles
On 8/30/2018 at 12:07 PM, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I want your opinions. When up-tiered in a Tier 8/9 match, especially on a bigger map, do you have an easier time in the New Orleans or a ship like the Helena / Atlanta? It could just be me, but I find that sometimes I have an easier time when up-tiered in one of the light cruisers because I just hug islands anyway. I'd do the same even in a top tier match. However, I've not found a good way to play my New Orleans in a Tier 8 or 9 match on one of the bigger maps, so how do I perform in the NOLA even when up-tiered? This is not to say I don't struggle when up-tiered in a USN CL because I very much do, especially when confronted with the high tier meta where people engage at range (while getting nothing done anyway) and flee a lot, because these ships rely on the enemy pushing in, and for your flanks to be secured.

   I know island hugging is also part of the gameplay for USN CAs with the 203mm 8/55, but due to 853m shell velocity I haven't found the right distance from an island in which I'm close enough to not be detected, but can still lob almost or all of my shells over the island.

I don't really play VII USN Cruisers anymore, not even my Atlanta which still is my most played ship... It's just I don't touch her anymore.  I have not given Helena, VII New Orleans a fair shake either with the Split.

 

That said, the Tier VI-VII USN CA 203mm/55 guns do not have the floaty shell characteristics of VIII-X ships of this line.  VI-VII, they don't have the SHS shells, and as a game benefit, they get shells that behave traditionally.  From my time playing Pensacola, Indianapolis, NOLA before the split, you use them like IJN and German ships... Open water combat.  The need to get closer due to the slow, floaty, arcing shells and getting cover due to such dangerous short engagement ranges is a thing for the VIII-X USN CAs.  The USN CLs with Dallas onwards all have floaty shells.

 

The floaty shells are to an extent, that even though by tradition, Cruisers prize more range to supplement their accuracy and DPM, it's a waste for many of these USN Cruisers.  I can give Worcester an upgrade for more range, but it's pointless.  Her shells float in the air so long in her stock gun range that more range is futile, as well as being dangerous when she intercepts a DD due to gun bloom.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
185
[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
729 posts
1,903 battles

In the same boat as you, OP, as far as playstyle and with T7 being recently unlocked in both lines. The Yorck seems more forgiving when you get caught broadside in the open than in a New Orleans.  Also when camping islands with the NO, I always seem to pick the wrong time to leave cover, either too soon or too late, and get blapped.

Also, I'm starting up the French line because they seem better ships for open water than the USN line with long distance guns and more speed to get out of Dodge quickly.

Edited by Bonfor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×