You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

An honest question

18 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
2,962 posts
8,714 battles

Is there some reason I am being set on fire constantly. Mid tiered German cruisers seem to have no problem setting me ablaze. They have some of the lowest % of causing fires. Last weekend my son dropped by since he was in town. I asked him to show me how he aims in hopes to improve. In the 4 battles we used to work on deflection shots I was on fire a lot. He said "I see why you complain, rarely I'm on fire that often." I'm I just having a run of bad luck? I know the bots in the operations are "juiced" a little but this is also in randoms. Not everybody has IFHE, especially at tier 5.

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles

... I mean are you talking about you setting fires on others? Or Others setting fires on you? And are you playing in BB? 

I might just say its a string of bad luck overall though..... But if you really have such issues with the Fire memes take Fire Prevention. 

Also, IFHE reduces fire chance for increased HE pen. In no way does it raise fire chance. 

Members
5,582 posts
6,330 battles

What ships are you playing? Some ships are less resistant to fires than others.

How many enemy ships are shooting you at once? Being shot at by one ship using HE isn't likely to set many fires. Taking hits from multiple ships shooting HE makes it more likely that you'll catch fire multiple times in quick succession.

You're not mismanaging your DCP and repair parties(if you're playing a BB) are you?

RNG also does play a factor, so it could just be a run of bad luck.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,281 posts
8,524 battles
5 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Is there some reason I am being set on fire constantly. Mid tiered German cruisers seem to have no problem setting me ablaze. They have some of the lowest % of causing fires. Last weekend my son dropped by since he was in town. I asked him to show me how he aims in hopes to improve. In the 4 battles we used to work on deflection shots I was on fire a lot. He said "I see why you complain, rarely I'm on fire that often." I'm I just having a run of bad luck? I know the bots in the operations are "juiced" a little but this is also in randoms. Not everybody has IFHE, especially at tier 5.

The lower tiered you are, the more likely your ship is set ablaze.  There's a built in fire-resistance coefficient on all ships. It's close to 0% at tier 1 and almost 50% at tier 10 -- meaning whatever base fire chance someone has to set you ablaze gets modified by this coefficient.  At tier 5, the fire chance of individual shells are only being reduced by 25%.  Couple that with a large volume of incoming shells and fires will be set as a matter of course.  It's a grim inevitability.  There are ways to mitigate the effects of fire, but in my experience, if you're being set on fire a lot, it may actually have more to do with your ship being out of position than it does with any deficiencies in your ship's protection.

• Cool 4

[KMS]
Beta Testers
110 posts
13,779 battles

Welcome to World of Fires...  Take a BB with little chance of dodging incoming HE...even if you max out all fire prevention methods...you will be on fire most of the time you are spotted. Its leading to even more camping at extreme ranges. I've taken a break from grinding the BB's for a bit to play DD's just so I'm not on fire the whole game. Too bad now its radar on every other ship and even other DD's !!!! bleah

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
2,962 posts
8,714 battles

I do need to work on my positioning on all my ships. I play more BB's than cruisers and they are more forgiving. 

[ARGSY]
Members
1,847 posts
11,990 battles
6 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I do need to work on my positioning on all my ships. I play more BB's than cruisers and they are more forgiving. 

Start playing cruisers more and you'll start to learn.

[TDRB]
Members
2,962 posts
8,714 battles

Lacking some information we need, what ships, what are your skills/mods?

I play German battleships and I know they are more prone to fire but you have repair & damage control, which I am learning better consumable use. But my main concern is my USN & French cruisers. I run the India Yankee signal flag on my cruisers. I haven't taken fire prevention on any of my captains.

[TDRB]
Members
2,962 posts
8,714 battles

Start playing cruisers more and you'll start to learn.

I have started playing cruisers more, that is why I am asking.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,847 posts
11,990 battles
12 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I have started playing cruisers more, that is why I am asking.

I meant to start playing cruisers more to get a better idea of how to position yourself.

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,938 posts
11,177 battles

Whelp, the good news is it gets worse at higher tiers, so more fireproof flags \owo/

[TDRB]
Members
2,962 posts
8,714 battles

I thank you all for your comments.

[REVY]
Members
1,467 posts
9,394 battles
7 hours ago, kgh52 said:

its not just you.

I can't tell you how many times I've been under fire in a high tier BB by a cruiser, every single HE shell they fire misses, but the one that not only lands, but starts a fire. It does get frustrating that after the fire has finally gone out, another single shell hits and the fire comes right back up.

[-RNG-]
Members
260 posts
5,750 battles

Its not just you. Driving a BB is an open invitation to get lit up with HE. Also IMO HE is allot more prevalent now. I think there is a segment of the community that thinks HE is the easy button or something? Ive even been seeing BBs slinging HE exclusively & I aint talking about the British line either. 

While I get as irritated as anyone about getting set on fire I would rather have that happen then a solid AP hit. Fires you can manage a citadel hit you cant. Let the dweebs sling their HE! :cap_old:

[VOP]
Members
371 posts
8,140 battles
7 hours ago, kgh52 said:

For some reason the dock workers soak my ships with tiki torch oil before they leave port and I burn like a California forest in the dry season.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,839 posts
15,389 battles

I play BBs and I'm on fire A LOT!!!  That's why many of my builds are survival builds.  I let a lot of those fires just burn themselves out, saving DCP for the two/three fires or even waiting on those if torps are inbound.  

All fire damage is repairable.  This makes fire even less a concern on some of the super heal ships.

The key is to avoid concentrated focus fire.  Ships with damage are like wounded animals; you become the target of more and more enemies as they see your distress.  It can spiral out of control fast if you're not careful.  The more damage you take, the more focused you get, the more damage you take, etc.

I like to push in my KM BBs.  However, I have to watch how my team supports me.  If I'm the only one pushing...or have my nose stuck out too far...I'll get focused and sunk.  Sometimes the best strategy in general (i.e, a push) is not the best strategy at the moment because one's team isn't positioned to support it.  In this case, staying close to the pack (and becoming a less obvious target) is the best course or action.