You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dEsTurbed1

A new clan member, their perspective

13 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,552 posts
12,192 battles

So me and 2 clanmates running tier 7 German bbs.

Trying to see who could get most citadels, just to make game interesting. 

We are pushing and flanking the rear of enemy team. Our whole team was in the midst of a steamrole.

An enemy hood remarks in chat that we pushed so hard that he couldn't run fast enough..

After his death, he asked if he could join our clan.

With 20 open slots, and not a powerhouse clan, I said sure and sent an in game invite.

He only had 262 battles and was only up to tier 6 in British battleships, tier 3 psn-asian destroyers.

The pure joy of having someone so new to the game refreshed me.

I divved up with him and found a younger player who actually is enjoying the game.

It's been so long ago that I started playing that I have forgotten the joy of just sailing a ship.

After 9k battles, I'm still having fun.

Still grinding.

Still learning some of my newer tier 10's.

But having joy?... not likely as I know too much, seen to many videos and seen the game change many times...

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SORTIED A SHIP AND FELT JOY ?

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU PLAYED WITH A NEW PLAYER?

P.S. we did win that match, and his excitement was from start to finish.

• Cool 3

Members
186 posts
7,749 battles
2 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SORTIED A SHIP AND FELT JOY ?

Funny you should ask... the fact is I ALWAYS have FUN playing this game ! Win or lose a battle...doesn't matter (although winning is always MORE fun than losing) because even while suffering a particularly frustrating loss I am enjoying the hell out of the game. It is after all a GAME.

That is why the newer players are so refreshing. The Newbies working the lower tiers & trying to improve their skills, their tiers, their Captains still see the game for what it is...a game where you can blow stuff up, shiver someone's timbers (whatever does that mean anyway?) and have a tone of fun doing it!

I've always thought a good clan is a diverse clan with players of all skill levels. It is too bad more folks don't think to act as you did in taking on a "project" who can & will get better at the game just for the experience of playing alongside veteran players like yourself. There is a sense of accomplishment to be had on your part for the effort as well. Especially if the "grasshopper" becomes so skilled that he becomes the teacher.

“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by CIT_Happens
placement
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
112 posts
1,366 battles

For me, the last time I had fun was when I was new in a clan, working hard to work with other members, getting to know them and trying to coordinate in battle with them.

Then I discovered all the flaws in that clan, became increasingly unhappy, and left some months later.

Since then, the only thing in the game that I live for is improving my play and stats. Without better stats, my selection of clans is limited. Unfortunately, improving one's game is WAY more difficult than sitting through yet one more video about 19-point captains and players with calibrated eyeballs in ships other than Tier X.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,552 posts
12,192 battles
1 minute ago, Yasha said:

For me, the last time I had fun was when I was new in a clan, working hard to work with other members, getting to know them and trying to coordinate in battle with them.

Then I discovered all the flaws in that clan, became increasingly unhappy, and left some months later.

Since then, the only thing in the game that I live for is improving my play and stats. Without better stats, my selection of clans is limited. Unfortunately, improving one's game is WAY more difficult than sitting through yet one more video about 19-point captains and players with calibrated eyeballs in ships other than Tier X.

But when was the last time you felt joy in playing the game and not just fun?

Beta Testers
112 posts
1,366 battles

I was using "having fun" in the sense of "enjoying something," which meant yes, I was experiencing joy. I remember looking forward to each evening, wondering who would be on, and what new battle experiences we might have!

Ah, those were good times.

• Cool 1

Members
186 posts
7,749 battles
4 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

But when was the last time you felt joy in playing the game and not just fun?

"What's another word for Thesaurus?"  -  Steven Wright     :cap_yes:

• Bad 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,552 posts
12,192 battles
2 hours ago, CIT_Happens said:

"What's another word for Thesaurus?"  -  Steven Wright     :cap_yes:

Exuberant and excited at the experience of the game.

Vs

Enjoyment and satisfaction of having a good time.

Like a 5 year old riding a merry-go-round for the 1st time.

Vs

A 7 year old doing it for the 1,000 time.

Both are having fun, but one is more joyous and gleefully happy.

Members
186 posts
7,749 battles

dEsTurbed1 - I hope my attempt at being humorous, jocular, amusing or as some might say witty, didn't upset or perturb, unsettle or agitate you in any way.  The real point is I do not wish to get down into the weeds discussing the nuances of language and the meaning of words. I am still trying to figure out "What the definition of Is IS?" and have been working on that one since 1998...

Humor is a very subjective thing and the best analogy to explain how 1 person sees something as funny when another does not is simply put - You Tube mishap videos are funny to most people but never to the person being filmed i.e. you get chased by a swarm of bees getting stung as you run away - that's comical...I get stung by a swarm of bees getting stung as I run away, that's tragic.

Anyway, I hope you continue to find JOY in your endeavors or perhaps have FUN at whatever you do. I'm sure I will do so as well because as someone once said - "Life is to short to sweat the small stuff or to drink cheap beer for that matter."

"So little time and so little to do."

Edited by CIT_Happens

[PHRA]
Members
78 posts
9,382 battles

I really do enjoy playing world of warships, for the most part I like playing with new people in co-op and random very much. But lately I've become somewhat board playing. Was in a clan a while ago but left because of personal reasons, was invited into another clan, problem is I don't find it challenging any more. Any ideas on how to turn this around and make it fun again, any info would be greatly appreciated. 

[AK]
Beta Testers
342 posts
2,246 battles

Good thoughts, enjoyed the read. Our clan is built on this very premise, of having fun, remain social, and not let the game grow stale. We're consistently bringing in new folks in, and I'm glad we do...for the very reasons you mentioned. We don't base our recruitment on stats, tier levels, or battles played. We look for genuinely good people who want to join with other gamers to have some great fun, help each other get better, and enjoy the game!

[VFW]
Members
967 posts
21,686 battles

Interesting topic.   I have a few games now and still find this game challenging and fun.  Yes I get frustrated and mad at times, but the variety and depth I see in the game keeps me interested.

Being in a clan has some ups and downs.  Recruiting good people is always key, but the ability to learn and get better is the trick.  Anyway, good topic.

VR,

[DIRTY]
[DIRTY]
Members
2 posts
4,235 battles

I am still having fun especially with Hood and Scharnhorst. Tried DD's, tried main line BB's but I am a cruiser guy at heart and then I bought a Hood. Transferred an RN cruiser Captain in to her who was a Commander and he's now a Rear Admiral.  I bought a Scharnhorst on the Asian WOW and its like Hood on steroids - very nice ship, I just don't have a good enough CO for her, but I'm working on that.  Now as to the topic; how can I transfer OUT of a clan?

Beta Testers
112 posts
1,366 battles

Kreigspelar - see this link for how to leave a clan. Another wonderfully hidden feature in the WoWS user interface:

P.S. I assume, from the spelling of your handle, that you aren't a native German language speaker.