You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
deresistance

DD 666 Black - Not what I thought

14 comments in this topic

[RMRGD]
Members
237 posts
17,338 battles

Earned USS Black this season.   A lot of the reviewers had somewhat different views.   They all stated she is a gun boat with radar.     Her torps are too slow.   Some people view her as OP.    Welp.. .here is my perspective

She is a damn fine boat with unique play style.  She doesn't heal/tank like the Kidd.   She isn't a fletcher torp boat.   And she isn't a pan asian DD with radar.    Shes a bit of all of them.     What surprised me is her torps.    They go 43 knots so I figured they are worthless.   A khab will outrun them and I seen some french BBs laugh as they run away at the same speeds.    But I land torp hits every game.  You NEVER fire them by aiming.  Just throw them out in high traffic lanes and laugh as 70 seconds later "bam" fish hits.  They are a blast.  Really caught me off guard.

Radar I find myself using far more for situations then DD spotting.  It scares the DDs away and spots the hidden cruisers long enough to let allies help.    It feels balanced

When I first earned her I did very badly.  I couldn't get it at first.   But once you get a feel for the torps, play the spotting role, do some long range annoyance with your guns she is a blast.   I would say she is very unique and those who are wanting to earn her you will be in for a treat.   Side note she prints free XP both ship and capt.   Throw a 19pt capt on her and enjoy. 

450px-USS_Black;h98068.jpg

• Cool 6

[RLGN]
Members
8,688 posts
17,952 battles
36 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

Do want

...but is behind massive rankedwall, so not holding my breath for it.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,206 posts
7,197 battles
49 minutes ago, deresistance said:

Earned USS Black this season.   A lot of the reviewers had somewhat different views.   They all stated she is a gun boat with radar.     Her torps are too slow.   Some people view her as OP.    Welp.. .here is my perspective

She is a damn fine boat with unique play style.  She doesn't heal/tank like the Kidd.   She isn't a fletcher torp boat.   And she isn't a pan asian DD with radar.    Shes a bit of all of them.     What surprised me is her torps.    They go 43 knots so I figured they are worthless.   A khab will outrun them and I seen some french BBs laugh as they run away at the same speeds.    But I land torp hits every game.  You NEVER fire them by aiming.  Just throw them out in high traffic lanes and laugh as 70 seconds later "bam" fish hits.  They are a blast.  Really caught me off guard.

Radar I find myself using far more for situations then DD spotting.  It scares the DDs away and spots the hidden cruisers long enough to let allies help.    It feels balanced

When I first earned her I did very badly.  I couldn't get it at first.   But once you get a feel for the torps, play the spotting role, do some long range annoyance with your guns she is a blast.   I would say she is very unique and those who are wanting to earn her you will be in for a treat.   Side note she prints free XP both ship and capt.   Throw a 19pt capt on her and enjoy. 

ah yes, the Black, or as i called her when she first arrived to the game "The Hellhound" on account of her hull number

Edited by tcbaker777

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
17,172 battles
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

...but is behind massive rankedwall, so not holding my breath for it.

I felt the same way before. It got released the first season I ranked out. It seemed like it was forever away, but now I just need one more.

• Cool 2

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
395 posts
23,883 battles

Love the Black.

Torps are slow, yes, but the reload is quick (80 seconds), range is good (13k) and they hit harder than any other USN torps.   It is surprising how many hits one gets.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,922 posts
14,393 battles

The Fletcher will always hold a special place in my port, I even bought her premium camo. I worked long and hard for the Black and I'm very happy with her. First game I was on the enemy cap with another friendly DD hiding in smoke. Than our cap progress stopped. As I prepared to ask the other DD who should go find the enemy DD that stopped the cap I realized I had radar. Flipped the switch and soon the enemy DD was no more. Fletcher class Destroyers are the best Destroyers. 

rNBWmzu.jpg

• Cool 1

[PNG]
Supertester, Beta Testers
5,706 posts
6,629 battles

I use toro acceleration on mine. They go noticeably faster but are still slow enough to surprise broadside DDs, but have the added benefit of being just a little harder to avoid even with the increased detection range.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Should've had this long ago, but I can't stomach Ranked anymore.

Nice summary, and glad you're enjoying her. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

Members
1,072 posts
5,073 battles
16 hours ago, deresistance said:

Sims torps work the same way.  They are slow-moving mines more than torpedos.  They are really hard to spot though.

The Black is annoying to fight though because of that Radar and smoke combo.  And every single person sailing her is guaranteed to be at least competent in the game.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,143 posts
11,555 battles

Black is not OP, what makes people think the ship is ''op" is because the players are (most of time) good.

The torp is slow as hell (but at least have high dmg and low detection and fast reload), the hp is 'okay', the guns are 'okay', but with a lot radar the gameplay become more and more boring for play with DDs in high tiers.

[O_O]
Members
4,629 posts
10,034 battles

Would love to have.

0 Rank 1 seasons to my credit.

FML.

[RMRGD]
Members
237 posts
17,338 battles
4 hours ago, HyenaHiena said:

Black is not OP, what makes people think the ship is ''op" is because the players are (most of time) good.

The torp is slow as hell (but at least have high dmg and low detection and fast reload), the hp is 'okay', the guns are 'okay', but with a lot radar the gameplay become more and more boring for play with DDs in high tiers.

That is mostly my role with Black.    I go spot ships at safe distance with a way out from radar when used.   The amount of radar is crazy and at this time the USN light CAs are not out.  preparing for even more.   I play CAs/DDs pretty evenly.. and I can say there is to much radar for poor DD players.  I would be ok with the amount of radar but torp ranges need to be buffed across the board slightly.   OR given DDs the option

• Cool 1