Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Guardian54

Can we turn Nelson voice-overs off?

45 comments in this topic

[70]
Members
997 posts
4,110 battles

The Azur Lane Nelson is now in my commander roster after the earning mission. She's nothing special except the in-port skin (really, these special skin commanders should get some marginally improved abilities corresponding to the ships they represent...), but good to get a 6-pointer I guess?

1. Puts Nelson in Duke of York.

2. Enters battle

3. Mishears battle start line somehow, probably through wishful thinking.

4. Growing sense of DREAD just before  the excessively high-pitched/squealy anime female voiceover finally registers.

5. RIPS HEADPHONES OFF after firing first salvo and throwing ship over in a hard turn.

6. Checks settings quickly to see if I can change the voiceover language from Default to English. Is DEMORALIZED to find that I can't.

7. So busy twitching over the high-pitched voicing that I get lolpwned within 5 minutes.

How do I turn the goddamned ANIME VOICE off? Due to my allergy to the typical high pitched and/or breathy voices featured in at least one female main character per show I can't even withstand watching subbed animes. Dubs on the other hand... well, Interviews with Monster Girls was pretty good, especially the dub for Sakie Satou which actually, sounds like an actual adult female! I swear I'm starting to understand why some people accuse anime lovers of being unnaturally interested in children with how damned high the voices are in many main female characters' cases. Another good example is that KanColle OVA where one woman voiced all the characters shown, and even that had me having to clap my hands over my ears to not rip my earbuds out at Kongou's high pitches and engrish. Kirishima's voiceover (IIRC, was years ago so might have been Haruna's) was great though.

I really hope there'll eventually be a dub voiceover of Nelson. Or failing that I can at least turn the anime voiceovers off. I don't care if she ends up sounding like a gruff man. I just need the incomprehensible (to me) and excessively high-pitched exclamations to STOP.

Really, if she at least had KanColle Ashigara's Library line or KanColle Myoukou's Kai Ni line levels of clear talk and relatively low pitch I probably could have stood the voice in general... IF I could understand it (combat information too important...).

Edited by Guardian54
  • Bad 2

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,842 posts
4,814 battles

You could always just dismiss her if it annoys you that much, and train up a normal UK captain with that godawful stereotype Monty Python voice instead.

This is the third anime collab now. All the previous unique anime captains had unique voices with varying degrees of squeaky Japanese-ness. What did you expect when you willingly opted in?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,878 posts
11,531 battles
4 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

I really hope there'll eventually be a dub voiceover of Nelson. Or failing that I can at least turn the anime voiceovers off. I don't care if she ends up sounding like a gruff man. I just need the incomprehensible (to me) and excessively high-pitched exclamations to STOP.

Doesn't that negate the very reason of using an anime capt in your ship, people like the voices, hence why they use them, while I have been vocal against anime, If people want it they can have it, but now to complain about it.

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,058 posts
4,743 battles

l-let me get this straight.

you played some anime missions to get a anime captain,that have anime voice and you are mad about ANIME voice?

like for real?

if you don't speak japanese,you won't understand the voice lines you know.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Funny 4

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Aslains Mods is  for you

14 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

The Azur Lane Nelson is now in my commander roster after the earning mission. She's nothing special except the in-port skin (really, these special skin commanders should get some marginally improved abilities corresponding to the ships they represent...), but good to get a 6-pointer I guess?

1. Puts Nelson in Duke of York.

2. Enters battle

3. Mishears battle start line somehow, probably through wishful thinking.

4. Growing sense of DREAD just before  the excessively high-pitched/squealy anime female voiceover finally registers.

5. RIPS HEADPHONES OFF after firing first salvo and throwing ship over in a hard turn.

6. Checks settings quickly to see if I can change the voiceover language from Default to English. Is DEMORALIZED to find that I can't.

7. So busy twitching over the high-pitched voicing that I get lolpwned within 5 minutes.

How do I turn the goddamned ANIME VOICE off? Due to my allergy to the typical high pitched and/or breathy voices featured in at least one female main character per show I can't even withstand watching subbed animes. Dubs on the other hand... well, Interviews with Monster Girls was pretty good, especially the dub for Sakie Satou which actually, sounds like an actual adult female! I swear I'm starting to understand why some people accuse anime lovers of being unnaturally interested in children with how damned high the voices are in many main female characters' cases. Another good example is that KanColle OVA where one woman voiced all the characters shown, and even that had me having to clap my hands over my ears to not rip my earbuds out at Kongou's high pitches and engrish. Kirishima's voiceover (IIRC, was years ago so might have been Haruna's) was great though.

Really, if she at least had KanColle Ashigara's Library line or KanColle Myoukou's Kai Ni line levels of clear talk and relatively low pitch I probably could have stood the voice in general... IF I could understand it (combat information too important...).

[-WPG-]
Members
970 posts
3,889 battles
29 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

l-let me get this straight.

you played some anime missions to get a anime captain,that have anime voice and you are mad about ANIME voice?

like for real?

if you don't speak japanese,you won't understand the voice lines you know.

I did the missions for the camos. I don't care about anime, but I took her out for a spin on the black swan.  It was really annoying. It wasn't her voice or the fact I had no idea what she was saying. It was the same line repeated over and over and over with. *every* volley from every gun. It would be just as annoying  as a british captain saying "Good shot chap Good shot chap Good shot chap Good shot chap Good shot chap...."  They need to tone down the repetition. 

Edited by DouglasMacAwful
  • Cool 2

[70]
Members
997 posts
4,110 battles
55 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

You could always just dismiss her if it annoys you that much, and train up a normal UK captain with that godawful stereotype Monty Python voice instead.

This is the third anime collab now. All the previous unique anime captains had unique voices with varying degrees of squeaky Japanese-ness. What did you expect when you willingly opted in?

Hell no.

I picked her up for the avatar in-port and vague hopes that there was or will be an English dub of Azur Lane somewhere.

I didn't pick her up so that I'd have no idea what she's reporting.

55 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Doesn't that negate the very reason of using an anime capt in your ship, people like the voices, hence why they use them, while I have been vocal against anime, If people want it they can have it, but now to complain about it.

"Looking good in port" is another reason.

Because I'd like to KNOW WHAT SHE'S TELLING ME!

21 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

It wasn't her voice or the fact I had no idea what she was saying. It was the same line repeated over and over and over with. *every* volley from every gun. It would be just as annoying  as a british captain saying "Good shot chap Good shot chap Good shot chap Good shot chap Good shot chap...."  They need to tone down the repetition. 

For me it was ALL of these factors, put together.

• Bad 3

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,878 posts
11,531 battles
13 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

Then might I suggest a basic course in Japanese.

• Funny 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,744 posts
3,738 battles

Set your voice setting to "National" but without the "+" symbol. Then you'll only hear the default national voice corresponding to the ship. Unfortunately, this means all non-U.S. and non-U.K. ships will speak their respective non-English languages.

Or you could disable the whole anime thing with the in-game setting. Click on the tiny cogwheel symbol at the bottom right corner of the screen at port, and disable whichever extra contents, not just anime but also Halloween or space things as well, you want to. That should change her to some default UK captain... or so I heard.

Edited by Blorgh2017

Members
1,345 posts
1,345 battles

What if I told you, 

46 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

This might come as a shock but there are other languages in the world. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,828 posts
8,793 battles

Well you can always dismiss her and grind a brand new commander. Problem solved.

I know you're forced to play ARP commander with their original voice, which was decently done until they added those "Provide AA support" and other voice line which kinda screwed her line. I never tried playing those special commander without their original voice, since it doesn't bother me so I suppose you can't change their voice. Or you can try everything said above 

Members
311 posts
2,470 battles
29 minutes ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

What if I told you, 

There are 2 languages in this world:

English and Not English

• Funny 3

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,808 posts
4,780 battles

If you think that is bad...try playing carrier with that voice. Way too repetitive to listen to for the entire match, and carriers tend to live for very, very long (and yes, I understand what she says).

BTW, isn't voice modification National (without plus) enough?

[ARGSY]
Members
7,173 posts
4,869 battles

I play with the volume off so as not to disturb sleeping offspring, so I don't know what she sounds like. Must give it a try sometime, just once.

[SIMP]
Members
1,070 posts

Be nice if we had a 'sub-title' option somewhere on screen for all voiced captains.

I mean seriously, there were even times I couldn't understand what Steven Seagal was saying....

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,655 posts
3,895 battles

She has no special abilities.

The only special thing about Nelson is the voiceover.

If you don't want to hear the voiceover, don't use the captain. You're losing literally nothing but the one thing you don't like about it.

Think about it from this perspective: You're using a commander who only has 1 thing, and complaining about how you don't want that 1 thing.

If you want anime commander portraits to look at in port, there's a mod in Aslain's that changes all commander portraits to anime portraits and looks really nice, and this does not change the voiceovers at all.

This is in no way similar to "I don't want to use Jack Dunkirk, but he has special abilities so I feel like I have to".

Edited by KiyoSenkan

Members
1,072 posts
5,073 battles
11 hours ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

What if I told you, 

*Blank American stare*

So?  

*goes back to eating his Arby's*

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,808 posts
4,780 battles
7 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

She has no special abilities.

The only special thing about Nelson is the voiceover.

If you don't want to hear the voiceover, don't use the captain. You're losing literally nothing but the one thing you don't like about it.

Think about it from this perspective: You're using a commander who only has 1 thing, and complaining about how you don't want that 1 thing.

If you want anime commander portraits to look at in port, there's a mod in Aslain's that changes all commander portraits to anime portraits and looks really nice, and this does not change the voiceovers at all.

This is in no way similar to "I don't want to use Jack Dunkirk, but he has special abilities so I feel like I have to".

There are two national voiceover options: National+ : Which includes special voiceovers, and the plain National (sans the plus), which is strictly national voices.

I've tried Nelson with the latter and it is the usual British voiceover, and with Arpeggio commander and it's the usual IJN voice.

The correct answer would be, if you don't want to hear the voiceover, change National+ to plain National under voiceover modifications.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,655 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, pyantoryng said:

There are two national voiceover options: National+ : Which includes special voiceovers, and the plain National (sans the plus), which is strictly national voices.

I've tried Nelson with the latter and it is the usual British voiceover, and with Arpeggio commander and it's the usual IJN voice.

The correct answer would be, if you don't want to hear the voiceover, change National+ to plain National under voiceover modifications.

Then either one is a solution. Don't use it, or pick the right setting.

Though National+ does hit the problem of "I don't know what my IJN/German/Russian/Chinese/Polish allies are saying".

Edited by KiyoSenkan

Members
1,105 posts

Anime-voiced commanders can serve multiple purposes.

For example, if I'm mad at my wife I put Thea Kreuzer on a Hermelin and turn up the volume.

Spousal rage ensues.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,655 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, TF77 said:

Anime-voiced commanders can serve multiple purposes.

For example, if I'm mad at my wife I put Thea Kreuzer on a Hermelin and turn up the volume.

Spousal rage ensues.

If you're at the point in your relationship where playing a game with a female character causes your spouse to rage, than there's probably something going on that's going to need relationship counseling to resolve.

That kind of jealousy ain't healthy.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,842 posts
4,814 battles
23 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I want another voice over....

smashing.jpg

I can agree with a British voice revamp. The current one is a horrendous 'smug posh snob' comedy accent, which was clearly done by somebody who has never been to the UK, and watched too much Mary Poppins.

It's no British accent I've ever heard of.

Sign in to follow this