You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
w4spl3g

Freedom Crates: A $100 experiment in regret.

82 comments in this topic

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

Simply put, I cannot wait for legislation to catch up with gambling like this which requires companies like WG to post the odds of winning the various items they contain. The worst part of the crates like these are their deliberate ambiguity and opaqueness.

I'm not really angry, just disappointed, because these are obviously rigged in specific ways. I had probably less to gain from these than a lot of people as well since I had all of the ships except the Monaghan. Let me say also that I don't value the American collection items to be worth anything at all because I know I could have completed that in time either way.

Here are my results, and my experiment in the middle, as they were recorded:

Spoiler

20 red dragon
20 dragon + cleveland mission
20 wyvern
20 ouroboros
20 wyvern
20 hydra + kidd mission
20 hydra
20 red dragon
20 red dragon + monaghan mission
20 ouroboros
20 wyvern
---- paused to do all the missions I got, there is a 1 day gap here in the opening ----
20 wyvern + Sims mission
20 red dragon
20 dragon
20 ouroboros
20 ouroboros
20 wyvern
20 red dragon
20 hydra
20 hydra
20 wyvern
20 wyvern
20 red dragon
20 dragon
20 dragon
20 red dragon
20 red dragon
20 wyvern
20 wyvern
20 wyvern

A pattern quickly emerges. Almost a 3rd of the crates had nothing by Wyvern flags which are by far the least valuable of the special flags. A similar pattern emerged with other (Christmas/Halloween) crates but those had a better return overall than these, but maybe not more than the Yamamoto ones which it might be marginally better than. As you can see, I got 4 ship missions total. I've seen multiple other people post their results with something similar with outliers getting around 2 and a handful getting all 5 but at least in the ones I saw the only ones who got all 5 bought more than 1 set.

What I learned from my experiment is 1.) It seems the results are fixed at purchase not at opening. 2.) There looks to be a hard cap on the # of ships you can get and also that you cannot get more than 1 of the same (that's why I did the missions mid stream to see if I could fish for more). 3.) When you do the math the flags are $.17 A PIECE (by comparison, a full set of econ flags bought in $40 increments rounds to $.13 PER SET), however the flags are not created equal in terms of value and the odds are weighted against the objectively better ones.

These mechanics certainly feel very different than the other crates I've bought and not in a good way. I got many duplicates in holiday crates and a ton of dubloons from them as well -- these are absolutely not even close to as "generous" with their contents and nor with chances of winning various items.

Anyway $.02, YMMV, etc.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 3

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
19,966 battles

If you don't value the American collection items and already have the premium ships, why spend any money, let alone $100, on the boxes? I don't get it.

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,618 posts
3,459 battles

My Missouri will use all of those wyvern flags you dont need ;)

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
335 posts
13,428 battles

I learned my lesson after the French crates.  Haven't bought any Freedom Crates and I feel great!

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
8 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

If you don't value the American collection items and already have the premium ships, why spend any money, let alone $100, on the boxes? I don't get it.

I was low on special flags and on credits from leveling multiple ship lines. I've just used my MO or other T10 ships with perma camos to get more credits in the past but I thought it would be a good bonus. I have 80K dubloons and could have bought credits but I didn't want to use them for that and never have. This is the only thing on the store page:

c18fde565f8b4519a2436ea31aa52120.jpg

There is no indication that you can only win a ship mission 1 time, but I thought maybe if I already had the mission active it wouldn't give a duplicate hence me grinding out 3 of them in the middle.

4 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

My Missouri will use all of those wyvern flags you dont need ;)

They're not bad just not nearly as good as the rest. I mostly use them on my MO too, and the main factor is time. I could have 10,000 but I would never have enough time to use them all.

Edited by w4spl3g

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
915 posts
5,530 battles

I bought 5 hoping for the Monaghan. Didn't get it. I agree with the OP on disclosure. How do we know after so many ships are won the odds don't change? I wanted to jumpstart the collection so no big deal.

[PIZZA]
Privateers
1,020 posts
22,663 battles

Makes one wonder if they are now shifting to giving credits instead of doubloons for all duplicate premium ships.  That certainly is the case with these crates and the Indy mission.  If so, will they allow us to buy premium ships with credits?  Probably not.  So why the credits now instead of the usual doubloons?  

[ARGSY]
Members
12,494 posts
7,926 battles

You unlocked four ship missions, three of which are for premiums whose total value is greater than a hundred dollars and the fourth of which is a straight jump to a Tier 8 cruiser that some people might not already have.

I own none of those premium ships, and I would be very pleased with that result.

By your own admission you stood to gain little that you didn't already have, and you spent the money in full knowledge of that. Cry me a river.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 14

[SVF]
Members
1,199 posts
1,620 battles

My crate drops yielded the following-

3 out of 5 obtainable Combat missions (Atlanta, Monaghan, and Cleveland), 27 unique collection items, 33 dups, 200 Wyvern flags, 100 Red Dragon flags, 120 Dragon flags, 140 Ouroboros flags, 40 Hydra flags.

Would've preferred some of those 200 Wyvern flags to be more of the Hydra ones instead, but overall I was content with what I got for the cost involved.

[STW-M]
Members
3,292 posts
7,750 battles

And that is why I refuse to buy anything subject to RNG (also why I've only ever spent money on this game during Christmas)

Qui-Gon-Jinn-Episode-1.jpg

• Cool 2

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
915 posts
5,530 battles
1 minute ago, BaronVonTom said:

Makes one wonder if they are now shifting to giving credits instead of doubloons for all duplicate premium ships.  That certainly is the case with these crates and the Indy mission.  If so, will they allow us to buy premium ships with credits?  Probably not.  So why the credits now instead of the usual doubloons?  

Nothing has changed recently. If you earn the ship via mission you get silver if you straight up win it then it's doubloons. 

Members
1,518 posts
8,959 battles

out of curiosity, are the crates we earn from the indy missions capabable of giving you the missions for the ships?  i don't recall seeing if they could or not. 

anyways, i got a free atlanta from the first crate you get in the new campaign they added.  i think that was a freedom crate?

[ARGSY]
Members
12,494 posts
7,926 battles
1 minute ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

out of curiosity, are the crates we earn from the indy missions capabable of giving you the missions for the ships?  i don't recall seeing if they could or not. 

anyways, i got a free atlanta from the first crate you get in the new campaign they added.  i think that was a freedom crate?

Reports I have seen indicate that they are, but the odds are low.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,794 posts
3,975 battles

Eh, I got my worth out of the "Capitalist's Supreme (99 USD) Freedom Crate Bundle":

• All 5 Personal Missions for Ships
  • 42 out of 48 Collection items (and 20 Duplicates)
  • Full restock of many low Special Signals

Even if I didn't get the ship missions, I was content with being able to quickly unlock all double Flags for my USN ships.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Mistakes happen more often when in a rush to do something.

I say your rush to get the campaign done cost you 100 dollars unnecessarily.

• Cool 1

[IHW]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
242 posts

That is why I only buy the Santa box's as they are worth their value.

• Cool 3

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
806 posts
7,007 battles

Welcome to the world of loot boxes and gacha style games. Asian countries like China and South Korea seem to be ahead of the West when it comes to regulating loot boxes.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,473 posts
4,940 battles

To be fair to the OP however, lootbox drop chances should be stated. Among the very few lootboxes I have bought, are cosmetic lootboxes for Path of Exile. These mentioned the chances for each specific drop as well as stating if the drop would be common/uncommon/rare. I have found it was much easier for me to give money; knowing my chances helped me decide whether I should buy them.

While each person's spending is ultimately his/her own decision, I feel WG and in general gaming companies selling lootboxes should be more forthcoming with this kind of data for the sake of customer treatment.

• Cool 2

[SBS]
Members
4,466 posts
2,408 battles
42 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Simply put, I cannot wait for legislation to catch up with gambling like this which requires companies like WG to post the odds of winning the various items they contain. The worst part of the crates like these are their deliberate ambiguity and opaqueness.

I'd like WG step up and disclose this on their own.  Every gaming company knows this is a point of friction with players and the regulations will catch up at some point, so why not in good faith step up and do the right thing WG?

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,143 posts
5,955 battles
4 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'd like WG step up and disclose this on their own.  Every gaming company knows this is a point of friction with players and the regulations will catch up at some point, so why not in good faith step up and do the right thing WG?

i can already see it

hydra flags-80%

premium ship-1%

cleveland- 5%

who in their right mind would buy crates when the odds of getting the good items are so low?i mean,the main appeal of freedom crates  are the premium ships,just like santa crate,so from a business perspective(without thinking about the playerbase reaction),increasing the chance means fewer crates being sold.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,903 posts
12,756 battles

No one forces you to push the buy now button, that is solely on you, some might thing you did well, with all the flags, as people have stated, Santa crates seem to be the highest return crates when you purchase those.

[STW]
Members
696 posts
5,138 battles

Those flags will pay for themselves in the amount of grinding they'll save you, just saying.

[SBS]
Members
4,466 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

i can already see it

hydra flags-80%

premium ship-1%

cleveland- 5%

who in their right mind would buy crates when the odds of getting the good items are so low?i mean,the main appeal of freedom crates  are the premium ships,just like santa crate,so for a business perspective,increasing the chance means fewer crates being sold.

No one in their right mind gambles.  I'm not asking WG to change the odds, just be upfront with them.  If the odds are so low that people don't want to buy then you aren't selling a good product.  Some might call it disclosure, I call it being honest.

Frankly, I'd like to see the sales of loot boxes made illegal.  I'm all for giving loot boxes away for free.  Tell people exactly what they are getting when they spend money.  After all that is honest, and no one ends up with hurt feeling.  Beside, exploiting kids with gambling tactics is pretty low, its not much better with adults.