You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
C0L0NEL_MUSTARD

Looking for Opinions: What content is the WoWS community lacking?

29 comments in this topic

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles

Don't get me wrong here, I think the current state of the WoWS community is in a good place and looks to be improving quickly with the support of WG. To frame my question more accurately I'll explain my intention for posing the question. I recently launched a YouTube Channel that is growing and I would like to make content that fills gaps in what is currently offered. I started with In-Depth Analysis Videos that worked pretty well, but my "Every Tier X Reviewed In 15 Words or Less" video generated far more interest. I think it did so because it is different to content found on popular channels. I am at a good place to experiment with my channel and the content it provides.

So, I am asking what content is our growing community currently lacking? What would you guys like to see more of? There seems to be an over-saturation of replay videos and montages, so I think there is a desire for other kinds of content. I have a lot of ideas right now, and if your suggestions match some of those ideas I will prioritize the suggested ones. Alternatively, this discussion could lead to something even better. Speak freely, and thank you for your time.

Link to my channel before it is asked for: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4fPs7u--FZKDUoNh6Z99Hw

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,639 posts
13,211 battles
3 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

So, I am asking what content is our growing community currently lacking?

Dutch ships.

3 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

What would you guys like to see more of?

Dutch ships.

:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 1

Members
1,758 posts
3,775 battles

Guides on how to counter specific ship types, possibly specific ships,  and some basic how to guides in easy access of people viewing the forums.  In particular we could use stickied guides for how to counter CV's,  DD's,  where to shoot BB's to inflict the most effective damage,  and general expected roles of each ship class in a match.  Include links done to other guides done by community members who are considered to be pro's in the classes they are talking about.

• Cool 1

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles
3 minutes ago, Palladia said:

Guides on how to counter specific ship types, possibly specific ships,  and some basic how to guides in easy access of people viewing the forums.  In particular we could use stickied guides for how to counter CV's,  DD's,  where to shoot BB's to inflict the most effective damage,  and general expected roles of each ship class in a match.  Include links done to other guides done by community members who are considered to be pro's in the classes they are talking about.

Not bad, not bad at all. There is some difficulty in showing that in a replay (getting the MM to agree with that goal), however if I maybe use graphics and gameplay examples this could be effective. Thank you for the suggestion.

[NOBS]
Members
650 posts
6,711 battles

Team play, how a team works, roles of each player on the team, team goals in battle, supporting your team, winning as a team. 

Then, your yolo, how you hurt the team. Potato's and the field you grew in, how that hurt your team. Finally, how the CV hunting the other CV got your entire team sank. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,639 posts
13,211 battles
13 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

lol Lert, not exactly what I was looking for but it still made me giggle.

Ok, a more serious answer ...

Guides on what to do when under attack by torpedo plonks
Guides on how to not get smacked by seapenii of great explodulatink
Guides on how to angle and who to angle against
Guides on consumable use
Guides on when to push in and when not to
Guides on staying guns silent vs going guns hot
Guides on target prioritization

Basically, guides on minimizing incoming damage, managing received damage and maximizing outgoing damage.

• Cool 2

[SBS]
Members
2,841 posts
2,385 battles
Just now, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

Not bad, not bad at all. There is some difficulty in showing that in a replay (getting the MM to agree with that goal), however if I maybe use graphics and gameplay examples this could be effective. Thank you for the suggestion.

I like Palladia's ideas as well.  As far as getting examples on video why not record as much as you can and when teachable a moment/good example happens you have it recorded so you can turn it into a short vid.  

I'm glad there are people like you that are interested in improving the community. :cap_like:  

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,044 posts
8,217 battles

Bringing Team play back, and Historical Naval Battles (including shore bombardment, and naval shore guns returning fire)

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
15 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

Don't get me wrong here, I think the current state of the WoWS community is in a good place and looks to be improving quickly with the support of WG. To frame my question more accurately I'll explain my intention for posing the question. I recently launched a YouTube Channel that is growing and I would like to make content that fills gaps in what is currently offered. I started with In-Depth Analysis Videos that worked pretty well, but my "Every Tier X Reviewed In 15 Words or Less" video generated far more interest. I think it did so because it is different to content found on popular channels. I am at a good place to experiment with my channel and the content it provides.

So, I am asking what content is our growing community currently lacking? What would you guys like to see more of? There seems to be an over-saturation of replay videos and montages, so I think there is a desire for other kinds of content. I have a lot of ideas right now, and if your suggestions match some of those ideas I will prioritize the suggested ones. Alternatively, this discussion could lead to something even better. Speak freely, and thank you for your time.

Link to my channel before it is asked for: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4fPs7u--FZKDUoNh6Z99Hw

On TV in the USA is a show called "How it's Made"

I would like something similar  "How it Works"

Mods..... Captain Skills...... The UI........ Sigma...... Dispersion...... Angling...... 

You get the Picture.

Simple video explaining the way the game works and why.

• Cool 1

Members
1,758 posts
3,775 battles
5 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

You could use training rooms for the basic concepts,  like where you need to aim at in general on ships and to cover things like citadels.  Past that yeah,  I can see how it would be hard to cover things like countering ship types since you have to encounter said types and they have to attack you.  My apologies,  I know its a tall order but I think a lot of people here could benefit from seeing certain strategies in action.  Some people learn better from watching rather than reading,  ya know?

Either way,  thank you for doing this.  Every little bit goes a long way in improving the playerbase and helping out even the people on the forum means a lot.

[SYJ]
Members
1,010 posts
2,260 battles
3 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

On TV in the USA is a show called "How it's Made"

I would like something similar  "How it Works"

Mods..... Captain Skills...... The UI........ Sigma...... Dispersion...... Angling...... 

You get the Picture.

Simple video explaining the way the game works and why.

Spoiler

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles

Looks like a lot of requests for guides. I know WG are addressing game mechanics on their channel (look at the previous post) so I probably won't retread that topic, but the other ideas could make viable videos for sure.

[BLHK]
Members
474 posts
3,673 battles
16 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

Looks like a lot of requests for guides. I know WG are addressing game mechanics on their channel (look at the previous post) so I probably won't retread that topic, but the other ideas could make viable videos for sure.

Community contributors updating their how to xxx ship. Often ships have had multiple nerfs or buffs, but the videos still date back to the original release.

• Cool 1

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles
2 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Community contributors updating their how to xxx ship. Often ships have had multiple nerfs or buffs, but the videos still date back to the original release.

Good overall suggestion I think. Not much I can do about that unfortunately as I am not a Community Contributor..... yet.

[TDRB]
Members
1,322 posts
5,041 battles

Didn't Colonel Mustard kill Mr Boody in the billiard room with a lead pipe?

Yes, I had to ask. Good luck with your Youtube venture.

[BLHK]
Members
474 posts
3,673 battles
17 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

Good overall suggestion I think. Not much I can do about that unfortunately as I am not a Community Contributor..... yet.

Well in the meantime some stuff about how not to play the game. I am a little over watching videos of someone sinking 29 ships 400 torpedo beats and doing 9 million damage in one game

Show me a potato, show me what the potato does wrong, and how I can stop being said same potato. And something a little more in depth than...don't show broadside. Pretty crappy advice when you have more than one ship taking an interest in you.....

[FGNE]
Members
395 posts
2,546 battles

You could also focus on gameplay tips, while this will be most useful for new commanders, I’m sure more than one tip will also be welcomed by veterans.

for example:

using the torpedo indicator to judge a target’s course and speed.

or

I’m detected but I see no one that could be detecting me... why is that?

when I was a new player it took a bit to figure there was a DD spotting me, ... it took another while to understand that I should take torpedo evasión,... and it took another while to successfully evade... and son on

sure most content creators have spoken about this, but often times is not the focus of their content (likely they are showcasing something else and they happen to talk about it)... 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
7,174 posts
4,874 battles

Favour low tier ships a bit more in basic instructional replays. New players need to know all about Longjiang, Phra Ruang and Shenyang, not Lo Yang or Yue Yang; Nassau, not Bismarck; Umikaze, not Shimakaze, etc.. Give them instruction vids in ships they can relate to and are currently using in their early days, not stuff that will take them weeks or months to obtain.

• Cool 1

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

An in depth analysis of why our team stomped the other team and didn't lose 1 ship.6865_1528350288_20180607_001503_PFSC109-Saint-Louis_25_sea_hope.wowsreplay

I will take a look at that and I might give that I try. Almost anything is worth trying once.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 hour ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

Flamuu did, as far as I know, exactly 1 video of him playing a ship and simply narrating his decision making process (stream of consciousness) and the factors that went in to what he was doing as a unicum player, in what was supposed to be potentially a new series of videos depending on what his patreon or twitch or whatever subscribers wanted to see. It was one of the most valuable videos I've seen on any WoWs channel and he never did another one that I know of, and learning something I didn't know about game mechanics is mostly why I watch any of them.

Members
132 posts
8,366 battles
1 minute ago, w4spl3g said:

Flamuu did, as far as I know, exactly 1 video of him playing a ship and simply narrating his decision making process (stream of consciousness) and the factors that went in to what he was doing as a unicum player, in what was supposed to be potentially a new series of videos depending on what his patreon or twitch or whatever subscribers wanted to see. It was one of the most valuable videos I've seen on any WoWs channel and he never did another one that I know of, and learning something I didn't know about game mechanics is mostly why I watch any of them.

Yea, this literally inspired my first series of videos. I give him credit in the first one or two I think. That vid is quite old and I don't think he intends to pursue the series further so I took it upon myself to do it. Kinda how my channel started, but I want more diverse content.

[SBS]
Members
2,841 posts
2,385 battles

I don't know if this would make an entertaining video but its something I think the many player would benefit from.  Replays from the map view.  The point being is to break down the game to see why one team was able to win over the other.  Most videos are on improving individual skills (tactical skills) verses understanding the game on more of a strategic level.  I'm a competent player on a tactical level, but in order to take my game to the next level I need to understand where to be, where not to be and be able to predict the likely outcome of any given choice.

A few ranked seasons ago iEarlGray would show one of his games, at the end of the video he would show the entire replay from the map view at something like 10x speed, and talk about why the game was win or lose from a strategic level.  I really like the replay from the map view except he went a little to fast.  I'd like to see the replay in 10x speed until something of importance happens, then pause or slow the video down and talk more in depth about what is happening and it things could have been done better.

[TBW]
Members
6,606 posts
12,463 battles
8 minutes ago, C0L0NEL_MUSTARD said:

I will take a look at that and I might give that I try. Almost anything is worth trying once.

Not a big deal or anything, I just don't think I have seen a battle where The team never lost a ship before. Then again sometimes I div up with Jim Beam, so it may have happened before.