You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Xanthro

No test ship should be allowed to divisvion

46 comments in this topic

[DENY]
Members
259 posts
6,961 battles

Everyone knows the Stalingard, no matter which version, is ridiculously OP. It makes any other ship look weak, yet these no publicly available ships are ALWAYS in a division with other super-unicum players. The ship has a 90% plus win rate at the moment.

Most people don't know much about the ship, so it's harder for anyone to know how to counter, and this is compounded by them ALWAYS being in a division. It's bad enough that these ships are only made available to the top 1% of players, but to allow them division up is like putting a Mino in tier V. It's ridiculous and should not be allowed.

Why subject your customers to such crazy abuse?

• Cool 5
  • Bad 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,236 posts
13,029 battles

Maybe your luck is just worse, but I've seen them both in and out of divisions.

[OPG]
Members
138 posts
7,515 battles

My division entered a game that had 3 of the Wows testing people and all three were the Stallingrad. I didn't expect much and they never really pushed or did anything to adjust the flow of the game other than try to farm our cruisers and battleships from a distance (2 were HE/AP and 1 was AP only). I was in my DM and a friendly destroyer smoked me up and I was able to farm two of them until they eventually were out of range because they backed all the way up to the map border. At the end of the game there was 1 alive at full health still riding the border and his team eventually lost because the three of em did feel like helping at any objectives (Map was tears of the desert).

I guess it is like most ships in the regard that one does not become magically good just being the ship itself is good. The person you fought against (or division in that case) could have already had a good grasp on how the game should be played and therefore made it feel like it was unfair even though its pretty satisfactory in my opinion. 

Edited by Zarenno

[SALVO]
Members
17,713 posts
18,486 battles

@Xanthro  I think that you're overstating it.  IIRC, these supertest ships are not supposed to division with other testers using the same ship.  I have seen a supertest ship diving up with regular ships.  Also, not all supertesters are unicums.  Sure, it seems that most of the CC's who get to play them are unicums, but oh well.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
17,713 posts
18,486 battles
4 minutes ago, Zarenno said:

My division entered a game that had 3 of the Wows testing people and all three were the Stallingrad. I didn't expect much and they never really pushed or did anything to adjust the flow of the game other than try to farm our cruisers and battleships from a distance (2 were HE/AP and 1 was AP only). I was in my DM and a friendly destroyer smoked me up and I was able to farm the three of them until they eventually were out of range because they backed all the way up to the map border. At the end of the game there was 1 alive at full health still riding the border and his team eventually lost because the three of em did feel like helping at any objectives (Map was tears of the desert).

I guess it is like most ships in the regard that one does not become magically good just being the ship itself is good. The person you fought against (or division in that case) could have already had a good grasp on how the game should be played and therefore made it feel like it was unfair even though its pretty satisfactory in my opinion. 

Gotta say that those 3 testers don't sound like the OP's unicums to me, though I thought that supertesters weren't allowed to div up with supertest ships (but I could be wrong on that).

[HINON]
Supertester
19,654 posts
13,211 battles

The WoWSCSTest accounts are not supertesters. They have different rules and NDAs. Supertesters have strict rules on how many test ships are allowed in a division, I can't say if those same rules apply to WoWSCSTest accounts.

• Cool 3

[5D]
Members
1,295 posts
7,597 battles

Most of the supertesters that I know aren't even close to unicum.

Wargaming has done an excellent job of making sure that their supertest program is a relatively good representation of the player skill spectrum.

Edited by Spartias
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
7,344 posts
7,771 battles

I've seen one, not in a div, and completely smashed it while driving Kronshtadt(Also an OP ship. Lol.). OP? Maybe, however it still sinks like any other ship, especially if you focus it down.

[LUCK]
Members
1,381 posts
20,682 battles

That they would division with the same ship is actually good for balancing. It's a clan reward ship to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), first and foremost, so it's fairly logical those clan members may division up in their shiny new botes. Just another data point in balancing, right?

Besides 90% win rate for a Russian cruiser is the definition of balance.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,325 posts
9,621 battles
13 minutes ago, Spartias said:

Most of the supertesters thay I know aren't even close to unicum.

Wargaming has done an excellent job of making sure that their supertest program is a relatively good representation of the player skill spectrum.

Actually you don't want to have many unicums testing, their skill biases the information that is produced.

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,656 posts
9,233 battles

How many times have I seen a test ship get forcesed by the whole other team and or TK it’s hard to test if people go out of their way to kill a tester. 

I have also seen more then one team throw a game trying to chase a test ship down.

• Cool 2

[LOU1]
Members
3,174 posts
8,432 battles

There was another thread on this recently in which @Gneisenau013 said they should not be divisioning with other test ships. He asked to be told if a player saw it happening. Pretty sure that was the staff member, will do a better search on my PC.

EDIT:

Edited by ExploratorOne

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,058 posts
4,743 battles

i thought supertesters used a separate server to test.

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,656 posts
9,233 battles
6 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

There was another b thread onbthis recently in which @Gneisenau013 said they should not be divisioning. He asked to be told if a player say it happening. Pretty sure that was the staff member, will do a better search on my PC.

It was the ones I have seen lately have been alone or all in different ships when div so maybe this persons ran into a div before they got told not to do it. 

[LOU1]
Members
3,174 posts
8,432 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

They do for initial testing.  The ships have to also be tested in Live play.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,654 posts
13,211 battles
4 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

1) CS testers are not supertesters and have an entirely different rule set.

2) We, the STs, do have a supertest server, and that's used for first round testing. Public, live server testing is second round testing and an integral part of the testing process.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I would think restricting the way you are allowed to play a test ship on the live server would defeat the point of testing the ship on the live server.

• Cool 2

Members
412 posts
6,863 battles

I could be over reacting but I also experienced a day recently where for a majority of matches there were divisions CStestimg accounts, sometimes on my team or on the other, every time it was a complete slaughter in favour of the CS accounts team, I mean complete annihilation.

Could it have been the ship, could it have been the new modules? Of course I cannot say, but It seems also hard to say there was no effect.

Is the test server not adequate enough to evaluate these things, so they have to be in live? If so, are divisions really a good way to evaluate a ship ?

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,874 battles
41 minutes ago, cometguy said:

I would think restricting the way you are allowed to play a test ship on the live server would defeat the point of testing the ship on the live server.

Yes and no. You aren't often going to get three Stalingrads together in Live, so doing it in test would not produce meaningful results. 

[OO7]
WoWS Community Contributors, Alpha Tester
138 posts
10,629 battles

AFAIK there are things that these testers are allowed to do depending on their Non Disclosure Agreements or their NDAs. If they are divisioning, by all means it is fair as they are allowed to do it.

If the players were NOT allowed to do it and they did so anyway, I have a feeling the consequences from Wargaming would be quite severe. This parameter alone would scare testers, or SHOULD scare testers enough to not break their NDA.

IMO if I were a tester, come hell or high water I would never break the rules. Testing is a privilege, one that not many get to receive. So what if they are Unicums, thats who WG chose to test unreleased content to see how they perform in the hands of good players. AKA HOW TO BALANCE THE UNICUM SO THAT POTATOES CAN HAVE FUN TOO.

• Cool 1

[5D]
Members
1,295 posts
7,597 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Actually you don't want to have many unicums testing, their skill biases the information that is produced.

Exactly what my post meant. Thank you for the confirmation.

Edited by Spartias

[HINON]
Supertester
19,654 posts
13,211 battles
31 minutes ago, Visidious said:

Is the test server not adequate enough to evaluate these things, so they have to be in live?

No, not by a long shot. Lack of population, no way to get the amount of data required to make even the most basic valid assumptions and reach valid conclusions. So, yes, live testing is very important.

14 minutes ago, Senpai_NA said:

So what if they are Unicums, thats who WG chose to test unreleased content to see how they perform in the hands of good players. AKA HOW TO BALANCE THE UNICUM SO THAT POTATOES CAN HAVE FUN TOO.

Supertesters run the gamut of skill levels, minus perhaps the lowest segments. However, the CS test accounts are not supertesters, they are by and large highly skilled competitive players, testing for high end competitive purposes.

• Cool 2

[OO7]
WoWS Community Contributors, Alpha Tester
138 posts
10,629 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

However, the CS test accounts are not supertesters, they are by and large highly skilled competitive players, testing for high end competitive purposes.

Oh I know. ;)

[BORK]
Members
256 posts
6,185 battles

I ran into a group of stalingrads the last time a thread was made about them divisioning up.

one was a stalingrad the other 2 in the division were stalingrad 2....im assuming a different build for testing some tweaks.

in the last thread i thought they put the kibosh on them divisioning up going forward. they probably just check their email as often n as i do.....which is maybe every couple days instead of every couple minutes like some people.