You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Tactical Tip Tuesday - Securing the Objective

31 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,340 posts
7,591 battles

image.png

How do you support your team to secure an objective?

Providing fire support or taking damage can help your teammates capture a base.

However, spotting, laying down smoke, or providing a combat air patrol against incoming strike aircraft can help your team in many ways.

What do you do to support your team's march to victory?

"If you're not making waves, you're not under weigh." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

[MLPVA]
Members
273 posts
3,487 battles

I play German Battleships, so in order to support an objective capture, I fight right at the edge of the cap. Close enough to draw the fire away from the DD in the cap, yet not in the radius so incoming fire cannot reset the cap.

Edited by DarfTarts421
  • Cool 2

[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles

Support the objectives? What kind of game do you think the NA Server plays?

The current meta of the NA Server: Hide-n-seek. Runaway at the mere sighting of enemy destroyer. Never leave the comfort zone, let the DDs fend for themselves...

Anyone who says differently is just a liar, or is in extreme denial.

As a DD main, I try to spot for the team... but when the team isn't there to support, the effort is wasted, causing me to smoke up, thereby breaking all form of spotting.

Seriously, something needs to change, to incentivize the NA Server to push the objective, rather than run and hide...

• Cool 4

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
903 posts
13,874 battles

About half my games are at the helm of a DD. So I will post from that perspective.

If in a DD capable of effectively cap-contesting, that's where I start.
- Work to secure the nearest cap
- Adjust heading to provide a narrow profile while sitting in cap, preferably faced away from possible early enemy torpedoes
- Smoke only as a last resort in order to escape enemy fire (otherwise I am simply hanging out a "Launch Torpedoes HERE" sign)
- Spot enemy ships (DDs most importantly)
- Spot enemy torpedoes
- Pray that the enemy radar ships (come on, they are in nearly every game I play now) do not get close enough to light me up before I lock down the cap

Once the cap is secured (or once I am forced out of the cap)...
- Use torpedoes to deny traverse lanes
- Use torpedoes to harass enemy capital ships
- Re-position to contest another cap, or to defend current cap
- Work to spot enemy DDs, anticipating their location with a "where would I go?" thought process
- Seek 90 degree angles for torpedo attacks when possible
- If unseen (capping, re-positioning), watch red boats looking for broadside maneuvers, calling them as a target for friendlies with big guns

There are a lot of micro-decisions in every game. But I think the above covers some important basics.

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil
  • Cool 8

[WORX]
Members
4,229 posts
15,313 battles

in the lower tiers, I play the objective by reducing the Red BB population by reducing BB hull to Swiss cheese.

In the upper tiers, sink the DDs first then be that annoying HE fire starter. Then watch as BB cpt tears flow salty in chat as we secure the win.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,704 posts
19,847 battles

Nothing? Whatever seems appropriate at the time?

@Counter_Gambit isn't far off as it concerns destroyers; my strategic sense is bad; and it never seems as if anything I do outside the tactical has the least effect on the battle, unless I somehow stumble into some decisive situation that afterwards leaves me thinking; 'I did what?'

Cruisers; supprort the destroyers.

Battleships; no matter what I do I never seem to be in situations that are anything more than tactical; easy shots? high damage games? It seems like I'm never in the right place for those.

Carriers; scout, attack, and support.

• Cool 2

[-RNG-]
Members
260 posts
5,750 battles

As crazy as this sounds, I try to play my ships role in the fight. More often then not I play a CA. I position myself behind the DDs & focus on lending supporting fire & sonar to remove the Red DD threat while acting as a screen for the BBs. Once the Red DDs have been reduced in the cap points my focus shifts to lend supporting fire to the BBs. 

As well as all this sounds in practice it is lacking in application. in RB there is little to no coordination & it seems to me that everyone wants to do their own thing & will stick close to other ships not to lend support but rather to use them as a meat shield. That is assuming they arnt hugging the edge of the map or hiding behind an island. 

• Cool 1

[DOMN8]
Members
151 posts
7,872 battles

I get into a good position to where my AA/Radar/Guns are in a good position to take and or protect the objective. Then once all the threats on my side of the map have been destroyed I will be able to push with my team and take the remaining enemies out of the battle, and back to port. 

• Cool 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,240 battles

As a cruiser main, when I get focused around a cap and there are other teammates around.  I'll try to kite the damage as much as possible forgetting mostly about doing damage myself.  I focus almost all my attention on dodging and eventually going dark.  Which forces the enemy to choose a new target and start turning the guns.  Then I shoot again to light myself back up and force them to decide whether to re-engage.  Rinse, repeat.  (note that you need to be very, very aware of your broadside when pulling these types of hijinx).

Not only does this help with the engagement at hand, but over the course of the battle, people will stop picking you as a target allowing you to focus more on damage dealing.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,714 posts
14,140 battles

I like to present my self when in DDs, get the other team to shoot at me and then disappear and do it again. Race back to spot people trying to take our cap. Stuff like that and what others have said.

• Cool 1

[SCREW]
Members
218 posts
10,872 battles

As a bb driver, my strategy is to get in the cap as fast as possible, then either hide and cap, or pushing to the edge and take away the enemies ability to advance on it; and since I play American ships most of the time, this includes keeping the carrier away from it as well. 

• Cool 1

Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

I play russian gunboats, so I try to follow close behind the stealthier DDs and provide fire support to kill or deter enemy dds, cruisers, and BBs.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,582 posts
3,627 battles
1 hour ago, Counter_Gambit said:

The current meta of the NA Server: Hide-n-seek. Runaway at the mere sighting of enemy destroyer. Never leave the comfort zone, let the DDs fend for themselves...

As a DD main, I try to spot for the team... but when the team isn't there to support, the effort is wasted, causing me to smoke up, thereby breaking all form of spotting.

Seriously, something needs to change, to incentivize the NA Server to push the objective, rather than run and hide...

Those new game modes coming will hopefully teach people to play more on the fly and less hide and go seek.

[SYN]
Members
855 posts
8,134 battles

In my DD, I will approach and enter the cap.  If it is contested, I will attempt to spot for the Allies, and of course, torp smoke that the reds lay and help shoot up a DD that my support is working over.  If I have smoke, I will usually use it only if the CA is right behind me, or if I need it to escape.

If the Cap is contested and I cannot remain unspotted I will withdraw or fight on the flanks. Sometimes I am reduced to trying to slow down the red rush and damage what I can. Sometimes that is enough. Sometimes that will hold the flank.  Sometimes we lose. 

If my team is able to push, especially if there are no DD's or airplanes in the caps, I will push as far as I can to get eyes-on.

TL;DR: I am working to get vision and to stay alive. 

Trying to slow down a flanking push is when I most often die in the IJN DD.  

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles
41 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Those new game modes coming will hopefully teach people to play more on the fly and less hide and go seek.

Which is why I can not wait for them to come out.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,714 posts
11,758 battles

Standard Battle - kill all red ships

Domination Battle - kill all red ships near magic white circle closest to you first, then kill all red ships at the white circles further away

P.s. Standard Battle is garbage and should be reworked. The cap is either mostly irrelevant or just generates frustrating losses for both sides when a flank fails and a DD skips through to cap out the game with 9-10 ships still in play on both sides and give everyone 500 base XP. Woo!

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Beta Testers
111 posts
23 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

+1

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
306 posts
5,668 battles
On 6/12/2018 at 2:18 PM, DarfTarts421 said:

I play German Battleships, so in order to support an objective capture, I fight right at the edge of the cap. Close enough to draw the fire away from the DD in the cap, yet not in the radius so incoming fire cannot reset the cap.

Just an FYI, I like brawler BBs also and getting hit while in a cap does NOT reset the capture points of any other ship in the cap, only your own. So push a bit closer if you like you are only helping the cap occur quicker! :)

Members
2,177 posts
6,001 battles

Frustrating subject overall. 

I play all kinds of ships so I'm not a main of anything so my impressions are going to be a bit more generalized.   

Domination mode:

In this mode, in taking a base, each type of ship theoretically has a role to play and that role, at least initially, trumps their other capabilities when talking about how to deal with a cap. 

DD = You have to get into the caps.  It doesn't matter if you are a knife fighting Russian or a torpedo sniping menace, if your team is going to have a decent chance at taking a cap, a dd has to be there to lead the way.  It can be painful and lead to a really short life span at times, but if you aren't going to do it, chances are nobody else behind you will. 

Sometimes just knowing that you are in the cap will cause the red ships to all pile up outside of the cap and run for the nearest rock.  You could be in the worst dd in the game and you can still have that kind of impact. Alternatively you not going for the cap pretty much means the ships behind you aren't going to either so what you do in these opening moves of the game becomes critically important. 

Cruiser = Support the DD's in the cap.  Find a position where you can rain radar. hydro and shell fire on any enemy dd's in the cap and make it more costly for other red ships to approach without exposing yourself and getting exploderated for no gain.  If the DD turns away, then you're the next best thing, however if you don't have a decent terrain feature to run to that can keep you alive long enough to do some good, or you don't have a smoke screen of your own, then don't try it unless you see that your battleships are willing to give it a try.  Otherwise you can try to deny the cap to the enemy by keeping it under fire or threat of fire.  Maybe the red ships have chicken DD's as well. 

Battleship = Move in and support the other ships with your firepower and ability to absorb damage.  Your big guns can scare red cruisers off of the cap and you are likely to attract the attention of the enemy battleships which significantly increases the survival rate of your friendly cruisers and DD's. If the DD's flake out then, ironically, you are the best bet the team has in making the cap since there is a chance you can survive long enough to actually accomplish something.  However you are going to need support so if other ships on your team stay back, moving into the cap on your own will typically have the same result as a cruiser trying the same, it just might take a bit longer.

If you don't have a capping DD or Cruiser, and you're pretty confident all of the ships on your side are just going to huddle behind some rock somewhere if you make a move, then your best bet, other than trying for a different cap where things might be more favorable, is to help deny the cap to the red ships by firepower.  

Standard Mode:

If you lose the cap you lose the game.  Funny how a lot of players forget that.  It's also exceptionally hard to capture the enemy base if there are still some red ships within firing and spotting distance of it.  A lot of players forget that to.   Whatever ship you are in, you can't afford to ignore the defense of your own base, let the red ships do that.  Can't tell you how many games are lost in this mode simply because everyone is charging to take the enemy base while failing to protect their own.  

In this mode, ships actually have a bit more freedom of movement and ships can more afford to play to their strengths rather than to their role.  Torpedo snipers can snipe, brawlers can brawl, stealth ships can be stealthy etc ... ... ... . However one eye needs to be kept on the friendly base and ships should advance and position themselves to decrease the likelihood of an enemy just slipping by them or being too far out of position to help if either the ships guarding the base are about to be overrun or the base suddenly starts turning read.  

So, if you see a gap (i.e. all the lemmings are going to the west or east side of the map), see if you can fill it.  If you see a wall of red descending on your cap, turn around and help with the defense.  If you are too far out in the boonies with a 21 knt BB to do any of these, then what the %!%$!^!^!! are you doing out there in the first place.  Lose the base, lose the game, don't become one of "those" ships. 

Epicenter:

In Epicenter mode, the capture of the base really isn't likely to happen until a lot of the red ships are at the bottom of the sea.  The important thing is to get enough ships into the zones to deny their capture to the enemy and then start seriously killing red ships.  Destroyers are great at this and cruisers can lend a hand as well provided they have some terrain to work with.  The rest of the fleet should start looking for stuffs to sink and not worry about the cap until the endgame. 

Hope that's helpful.

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
2,395 posts
7,404 battles

I start drinking Rum and singing pirate songs.  Refer to everyone in chat as "Ole Chum".

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
271 posts
5,350 battles

In DDs i like to get up front and spot if not cap. Run if I'm not getting enough support and try hit and run tactics while spotting for my team.

CAs are all about support- focus DDs 1st and start setting fires and annoying BBs 2nd while hiding behind or near islands in my American cruisers.

BBs I push up to my cap at full speed bow on. Once I'm about 5-6 Km from the cap I slow down and look for good targets to delete. 

CVs...I haven't played CVs too much since I got to the Essex. When I do play I try to spot as much as possible but really CV play is like a chess match with the other CV. I feel it's difficult to pay attention to incoming chat while I'm watching the map trying to figure out where the enemy CV will send their strike package next or looking for that lone enemy ship that would make a good target for mine.

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
9,794 battles

When in my DD, I prefer to empower my CA and BB teammates by allowing them to cap instead of me. I've always been a "giver."

[AFK]
[AFK]
Members
411 posts
10,104 battles

How to get objective in Khaba :

- Go in middle of cap

- In option, sink the ennemy DD if he want get my cap/

-  Dodge enemy shell 60s to complete a capture.

- Spam CYKA BLYAT in all/ chat.

Don't miss hear this music for boost a russian bias.

Spoiler

Two different style, same function.

Edited by tugdual

[H_]
Members
505 posts
9,560 battles
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, Counter_Gambit said:

Pretty much sums it up from my perspective.  And Smoking is generally a complete waste or time due to radar. 

Granted it's not 100% the run and hide or lemming to 1 cap and sit there meta but it's getting there. 

Would i like there to be more of a "team aspect to the game" sure, sometimes you get it most times you don't, I'm playing this game for fun, and honestly sitting behind some island so I can farm damage is not that much fun, do I do it occasionally? yes.  But I like to mix it up, heck it's all about blowing stuff up isn't it? and you can't use that HP for the next game..