You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CommodoreKang

Roon help

26 comments in this topic

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles

Just picked up the German line again after a very long break.  

I get that this thing is a kiting monster and love it when that situation presents itself.  Having trouble with DDs though.  It feels a little wonky.  Any advice for someone whose first inclination is to charge in and get into a knife fight?

[O_O]
Members
5,190 posts
11,795 battles

Don't charge in and get into a knife fight.

I thought Roon was a beast from the day I bought her...even fully stock. But, she is still a cruiser.  You have to try to avoid getting shot.  Stay at distance, or at least have cover nearby if you move up.  Priority Target is a very important captain skill.  Knowing you are detected is one thing...knowing people are aiming at you is a completely different matter.

Roon's AP can be nasty.  Use it whenever you have a shot at a broadside or even mostly broadside target.  It can be a bit tough to go DD hunting, because Roon has two turrets aft and only one forward...which as you stated makes her a kiting fighter.  If you can get enough turrets on target you can certainly punish a DD, but your real bread and butter targets are cruisers and battleships.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,868 posts
5,401 battles

The only way to knife fight DD's early on in game in Battleship Roon is to utilize the vision mechanics and place yourself in hard cover.  IE rushing an island where you can be concealed, pop hydro and surprise a DD who's moving up to spot but didn't take into account where you were.  As the game progresses, teams slim down, the heavy hitter BB's get taken out, then you can afford to be a little more aggressive and chase and try to close in on them, but it's all about timing.  Doing it too early means for a short game and back to port. 

• Cool 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

Don't charge in and get into a knife fight.

I thought Roon was a beast from the day I bought her...even fully stock. But, she is still a cruiser.  You have to try to avoid getting shot.  Stay at distance, or at least have cover nearby if you move up.  Priority Target is a very important captain skill.  Knowing you are detected is one thing...knowing people are aiming at you is a completely different matter.

Roon's AP can be nasty.  Use it whenever you have a shot at a broadside or even mostly broadside target.  It can be a bit tough to go DD hunting, because Roon has two turrets aft and only one forward...which as you stated makes her a kiting fighter.  If you can get enough turrets on target you can certainly punish a DD, but your real bread and butter targets are cruisers and battleships.

Gotcha. That's kind of what I figured.  My favorite part of the game is hunting down DDs. I think that's why i got discouraged the first time with the German line.

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles

What's your typical Roon starting strategy?  I would normally just find cover or go bow in at medium to long range (so you can go dark and turn around if necessary).  With the turret arrangement, do you setup stern in or just angle more? 

[O_O]
Members
5,190 posts
11,795 battles

I am not going to profess to be a brilliant Roon player...51% WR, 1,500 avg XP, 71,400 avg damage...so take my advice as AN option, not necessarily THE option.

I don't rush in unless I have an island I am aiming for.  Roon has hydro, but not with enough range to chase off any DD that may spot you for their heavy hitters.  Backing in isn't a viable strategy because it typically takes too long to set up, although on occasion it can be done using an island.  I also don't like bow-in because you only have one turret forward, so you won't be dishing out enough damage to make bow-tanking worth it.  Range or island cover are your best set ups.  Don't forget, you can also equip a spotter plane to increase your shooting distance.  I'm not saying you have to hang at the back and snipe across the map, but...(read on)

...Make yourself a hard target...not a juicy one.  Don't be the closest target if you can prevent it.  Put other, tougher targets between you and the reds.  As with any cruiser, if you are being targeted, keep the throttle and rudder moving to make yourself a harder target to predict and hit.  Even though most of your guns are aft, you don't have to be kiting away to get them all on target.  You can do it while angled in, as well.  Roon has a good rate of fire, nasty AP and decent HE.  The longer you can stay alive and keep your guns thumping, the better games you will have.  I managed 172,000 damage for my highest with this ship.

• Cool 2

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,868 posts
5,401 battles
31 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

What's your typical Roon starting strategy?  I would normally just find cover or go bow in at medium to long range (so you can go dark and turn around if necessary).  With the turret arrangement, do you setup stern in or just angle more? 

I run concealment and try to setup at a distance that's still somewhat medium range from the friendly DD's and can try to support, but still far enough away that the enemy DD going for the cap isn't going to pick me up while capping.  Enemy DD get's spotted, friendlies get spotted, try to hold my fire until the enemy fires, then I can fire back while they're on reload and start turning to kite away and going dark as is needed. 

Big thing to remember is just because you see green ships in front of you on the cap doesn't mean the enemy does.  So while you think you're safe to fire and get some damage in, the enemy doesn't necessarily see the DD's in front and this makes you the nice juicy target for every gun in the vicinity.  Don't be afraid to take some shots at angled/broadside BB upper belts with the AP.  Slightly angled cruisers as well.  I've got a few videos on the Roon which, if you'll forgive the shameless self promotion I'll throw in some spoiler tags below.  I'm no where near as good as most at this game though so take it with a grain of salt lol

• Cool 3

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles
27 minutes ago, vonKaiser said:

I run concealment and try to setup at a distance that's still somewhat medium range from the friendly DD's and can try to support, but still far enough away that the enemy DD going for the cap isn't going to pick me up while capping.  Enemy DD get's spotted, friendlies get spotted, try to hold my fire until the enemy fires, then I can fire back while they're on reload and start turning to kite away and going dark as is needed. 

Big thing to remember is just because you see green ships in front of you on the cap doesn't mean the enemy does.  So while you think you're safe to fire and get some damage in, the enemy doesn't necessarily see the DD's in front and this makes you the nice juicy target for every gun in the vicinity.  Don't be afraid to take some shots at angled/broadside BB upper belts with the AP.  Slightly angled cruisers as well.  I've got a few videos on the Roon which, if you'll forgive the shameless self promotion I'll throw in some spoiler tags below.  I'm no where near as good as most at this game though so take it with a grain of salt lol

Reveal hidden contents

Grats on your kracken and that's what I like to call a tactical leeroy jenkins.  Very well done and subbed btw.

Exactly what I was looking for.  Very helpful, thanks!

Members
1,929 posts
10,019 battles

Hey

I love the Roon; even more than the Hindy simply because most people don't focus on you as much.  I like to stay at range and HE spam anyone (BB's) who like to camp the early game; then I will switch to a more aggressive role and actively pursue anyone who is pushing ships on my side.  If my team starts to push then I will again charge with them but them tank damage, if torps are sent then I will actively use my spotter and/or hydro to go after the lone DD.  Never pursue the DD if you don't have some idea where he is or if your hydro is on cool down.  Try to run with the DD as it makes it easier to hunt him, and keep an eye for any sudden changes on his part as he may have sent torps.  The Roon does a good job with being able to dodge torps but it's a gamble, you do have torps of your own to funnel ships where you prefer him to go.  If you go into hydro cool down but you have run him off, break off the attack unless he is seriously damaged.  Your ship is much better kiting away than pushing and you can punish slower BB's with HE, up close, your torps are always useful but you will get hammered.  I personally prefer the range mod over the ROF because it allows me to fade back into concealment easier and reposition.  She can dodge and weave extremely well and it's easy to keep guns on target, don't be afraid to turn away.  Roon is a huge jump better than Hipper/PE and I simply love the boat.

Pete

• Cool 2

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,868 posts
5,401 battles
On 6/12/2018 at 4:46 PM, CommodoreKang said:

Grats on your kracken and that's what I like to call a tactical leeroy jenkins.  Very well done and subbed btw.

Exactly what I was looking for.  Very helpful, thanks!

Appreciate it.  I stick to the cruisers mainly.  for some reason I'm half way competent in them, so if you have any other questions or not sure of anything, feel free to reach out and I'll answer best I can. 

Members
299 posts
6,894 battles

You have to understand that +%60 if the Roons dps is at the back of the ship, so kiting away from ships as you angle is the best way to play the ship.

• Cool 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles
On 6/14/2018 at 12:56 PM, Robinhood_ said:

You have to understand that +%60 if the Roons dps is at the back of the ship, so kiting away from ships as you angle is the best way to play the ship.

Sure.  When you can entice something into chasing you.  

It's the initial setup and also the "cruiser shuffle" (as i like to call it) that's giving me fits.  I made it work with the other German CA but that was a long time ago and since then I've played several hundred Cleve games in a row.  

Everything seems backward.  And I tend to end up way in the backfield  when I normally like to play around the flanks.  I'm sure it just takes time but T9 is an unforgiving place to relearn the basics.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I'm not sure what's wrong with my Roon. Might be broken :cap_old: Can't even figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've done very well on all other KM cruisers...

Roon.thumb.PNG.a002a6b9b1c04ef862495504edb1951f.PNG

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles
2 minutes ago, geser98 said:

I'm not sure what's wrong with my Roon. Might be broken :cap_old: Can't even figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've done very well on all other KM cruisers...

Roon.thumb.PNG.a002a6b9b1c04ef862495504edb1951f.PNG

I can see why people like it.  I've had really good games in it.  It's fairly tanky as far as cruisers go and being able to kite with an advantage is huge.

I'm also having trouble so I can't help specifically with the Roon.  General cruiser advice though...you're most able to carry a game (or at least make a diff) in the mid and late game.  You need to make it to those to improve your win rate.

Members
299 posts
6,894 battles
16 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

Sure.  When you can entice something into chasing you.  

It's the initial setup and also the "cruiser shuffle" (as i like to call it) that's giving me fits.  I made it work with the other German CA but that was a long time ago and since then I've played several hundred Cleve games in a row.  

Everything seems backward.  And I tend to end up way in the backfield  when I normally like to play around the flanks.  I'm sure it just takes time but T9 is an unforgiving place to relearn the basics.

Took me about 5 games to understand Roon is not great at pushing, but I have got used to the play style now and it good fun now.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
1 minute ago, Robinhood_ said:

Took me about 5 games to understand Roon is not great at pushing, but I have got used to the play style now and it good fun now.

Yeah, the gun layout is awkward after Hipper.

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles
1 minute ago, Robinhood_ said:

One of the problems I'm having is that, very often, you have to lead from the front to get people to push.  But you can't really do that in the Roon I guess.  Dammit.

Members
299 posts
6,894 battles
Just now, CommodoreKang said:

One of the problems I'm having is that, very often, you have to lead from the front to get people to push.  But you can't really do that in the Roon I guess.  Dammit.

With 20k range guns and spotter plane?You need to get into better positioning. 

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles
Just now, Robinhood_ said:

With 20k range guns and spotter plane?You need to get into better positioning. 

It's not the shooting that's the problem.  It's everyone loitering at 15+k range with their spotter planes and not capping or pushing.  In a cruiser with a sensible gun setup, I like to take the initiative when it presents itself and get everyone else moving toward the objective.

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles
33 minutes ago, geser98 said:

Yeah, the gun layout is awkward after Hipper.

I really enjoyed Hipper.  Very fun ship to play and held its own uptiered.

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles

Well, it's official.  I am not a fan.  Now I remember why I quit this line the last time.  Would love to have the Hindy.  I can see that one becoming my new fav.  But the thought of grinding 200K worth of facerolls at T9 in a ship that works against my play style (and the game TBH) sounds too much like work.  

*shakes fist at the gaming gods*

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, CommodoreKang said:

Well, it's official.  I am not a fan.  Now I remember why I quit this line the last time.  Would love to have the Hindy.  I can see that one becoming my new fav.  But the thought of grinding 200K worth of facerolls at T9 in a ship that works against my play style (and the game TBH) sounds too much like work.  

I found my problem with her. For some reason she seemed so much less tanky than Hipper and now I know why that is - she IS less tanky. Hipper had a 50mm plate protecting the side, while Roon has 25mm of armor in the same area and 25mm can be overmatched by anything starting from 380mm guns, which is all of the battleships you're going to face. So you can't just angle and bounce shots like in Hipper. 

It's a stupid ship design and I don't like it. I'll have to re-think of how to get her to work better.

• Cool 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles
11 minutes ago, geser98 said:

I found my problem with her. For some reason she seemed so much less tanky than Hipper and now I know why that is - she IS less tanky. Hipper had a 50mm plate protecting the side, while Roon has 25mm of armor in the same area and 25mm can be overmatched by anything starting from 380mm guns, which is all of the battleships you're going to face. So you can't just angle and bounce shots like in Hipper. 

It's a stupid ship design and I don't like it. I'll have to re-think of how to get her to work better.

That's very interesting.   I'll have to check the armor layout.  

It's nice to have different options.  The guns in back thing is very different and requires different strategy and tactics.  The problem is that if you wan to get to the Hindy then it's not optional.  If they had a whole line of guns in back ships that'd be an entirely different thing.

I'm starting to get the hang of it.  You just have to put up with one gun in front and possibly having the back guns on the wrong side when you need to push or go bow in.  Super awkward but there's not much else you can do.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
2 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

That's very interesting.   I'll have to check the armor layout.  

I finally decided to look at it yesterday and was a bit shocked. She has 27 mm upper belt, 25mm lower belt and 27 mm bow with a smaller, i think, 30mm plate on the waterline at the bow section. So with the exception of that 30mm plate,  BBs with 406 guns and greater can overmatch you almost anywhere and Yamato can overmatch you from any angle and any part. There's still a turtleback around citadel, so you don't take too many citadel hits, but so much pen damage.

• Cool 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles

So...

12 hours, lots of flags and xp camos and 100k free xp later and I have the Hindy.  The Roon is awkward when you need to cruiser stuff but it definitely is a beast when kiting and the spotter plane is much more useful than I gave credit.  Now that I can savor it as opposed to grind with it, I'm sure I'll grow to appreciate it more.