You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
nosinkboatpls

new player reaction to T8+ service costs

26 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
2,794 battles

I realize this has been posted before millions of times and WG will never do anything about it, but baiting new players with cool high tier ships only to force them to buy premium just to pay for repair costs is very offputting.

The business model is you either play low tiers to afford service costs or you buy premium. I can understand this at some level, maybe I can't play higher tiers all the time as a F2P player, but when you spend so long working towards something and then you realize you won't even be able to use it very often it's a sad feeling. Just my thoughts, I wish they would scale back the service costs at higher tiers or stop balancing credit earnings on a per ship basis to make them less profitable if you can perform better in them.

That being said does tanking damage really lower your repair costs or is it just a flat fee every time? I'm a new(ish) player and just got my first tier 8, I didn't realize this was how WG did things until just now. I went from earning 50-100k credits per match to losing 30k or earning 20k credits per match.

Edited by nosinkboatpls

[SEALZ]
Members
545 posts
6,240 battles
3 minutes ago, nosinkboatpls said:

I realize this has been posted before millions of times and WG will never do anything about it, but baiting new players with cool high tier ships only to force them to buy premium just to pay for repair costs is very offputting.

The business model is you either play low tiers to afford service costs or you buy premium. I can understand this at some level, maybe I can't play higher tiers all the time as a F2P player, but when you spend so long working towards something and then you realize you won't even be able to use it very often it's a sad feeling. Just my thoughts, I wish they would scale back the service costs at higher tiers or stop balancing credit earnings on a per ship basis to make them less profitable if you can perform better in them.

That being said does tanking damage really lower your repair costs or is it just a flat fee every time? I'm a new(ish) player and just got my first tier 8, I didn't realize this was how WG did things until just now. I went from earning 50-100k credits per match to losing 30k or earning 20k credits per match.

You don’t need premium to cover tier 8 repair costs. You just need to perform decently. Are you going to lose money if you play mediocre, yes, but you will make up those losses with one good game, this is coming from someone who can’t afford premium atm. Also yes repair costs are a flat fee, you don’t get reductions or increases depending on how much damage you have taken.

• Cool 3

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,539 posts
5,654 battles

It's a flat repair and service fee. The high service fee is intentional. It makes sure that people aren't playing T10 all the time once they get there, and leaving the lower tiers as depopulated wastelands (not that high tier gameplay is that attractive atm).

And it's still possible to regularly make a profit at tier 8 without premium. Just got to play well. T9 and 10 is where it really starts to bite.

• Cool 1

[KSE]
Beta Testers
392 posts
13,415 battles
7 minutes ago, nosinkboatpls said:

Dear Op,

No one forces you to buy anything in this game. Now stop with the whining.

• Cool 2

Members
7 posts
2,794 battles
6 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

You don’t need premium to cover tier 8 repair costs. You just need to perform decently. Are you going to lose money if you play mediocre, yes, but you will make up those losses with one good game, this is coming from someone who can’t afford premium atm. Also yes repair costs are a flat fee, you don’t get reductions or increases depending on how much damage you have taken.

Yeah, tier 8 seems sustainable but working towards tier 10 just seems much less appealing now , knowing I would have to play like 5 lower tier games to afford 1 game in a Yamato

[SEALZ]
Members
545 posts
6,240 battles
Just now, nosinkboatpls said:

Yeah, tier 8 seems sustainable but working towards tier 10 just seems much less appealing now , knowing I would have to play like 5 lower tier games to afford 1 game in a Yamato

Tbh tier 10 isn’t that appealing, I know you won’t think that but trust me on this one, don’t be in a rush to get there. Tier VII for example is the most fun tier you will have in WoWS. 

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Supertester
21,193 posts
14,763 battles

'Repair' cost is a two-part cost. The majority is a flat service fee that's the same whether you take 0 damage or get sunk, and there's an ammunition cost. However, the ammunition cost is negligible compared to the service fee, and if you're a moderately decent shot and land at least moderate damage with your salvos, you should earn a lot more per salvo than it costs to fire.

Another thing to note is that XP and credits are awarded for different things. Credits are, for the most part, awarded for sheer damage done and are not affected by win or loss.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,347 posts
2,956 battles
7 minutes ago, nosinkboatpls said:

It's a flat fee. If your ship enters the battle, it will cost you the same to repair whether you survived with 100% HP or got detonated 2 minutes in. The rearm cost is variable, the more ordnance you fire, the more it costs. Tanking and performance only increase your credit earnings, they don't affect the repair cost.

And you don't need a premium account or premium ships to run at T8+. It's nice to have premiums, but as long as your a decent player you can still keep running a profit on a standard account with no premiums. I have a standard account, and it was never a problem. I now have a bunch of premiums, but those just allow me to have lots of extra cash for the next ship. In a tier 8 or 9 game where I do decently I make 50-100K profit (no camoes, usually don't run the flags). So by no means do you need to have premium things to advance.

Also, if it was cheap to play T8+, everyone would do it, and then the low tier ships would always be bottom tier. There's always two sides to the coin.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
381 posts
7,306 battles

The game is designed to make money for WG.  As you advance in the game and become more invested in it, the incentives to spend money increase.  It’s a very reasonable proposition.  If you enjoy the game, surely you can understand the need to pay for your enjoyment of it.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,457 posts
11,965 battles
12 minutes ago, MikeLWX said:

The game is designed to make money for WG.  As you advance in the game and become more invested in it, the incentives to spend money increase.  It’s a very reasonable proposition.  If you enjoy the game, surely you can understand the need to pay for your enjoyment of it.

Capitalist pig. I need to play t10, therefore its your responsibility to provide for my needs.

Off to the gulag for you!

• Funny 3

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,637 battles

Protip: Shoot destroyers and cruisers, make money.

[DRACS]
Members
4,734 posts

It used to be much much worse, lol. 

As for the business model where players get a taste of the game for free but are asked to pay if they wish to play long term is very very common. Not exactly new here.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
771 posts
6,939 battles

Is the high cost of high tiers really to make money? I think its more about pushing players to downier. I can imagine this topic had a few heated discussions at WG.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,317 posts
7,837 battles
36 minutes ago, nosinkboatpls said:

The business model is you either play low tiers to afford service costs or you buy premium.

What's so terrible about playing low tiers? 

I'm within a hair's breadth of getting my first Tier Nine... in XP, anyway. Silver is a very different matter. That stuff's expensive. Maybe I won't even move up - maybe I'll just research it to make my Tier 8 ships elite and let them earn Free XP.

Members
7 posts
2,794 battles
21 minutes ago, MikeLWX said:

Yeah, I just think 180k for a T10 service cost is crazy. 150k would be more reasonable imo

[HINON]
Supertester
7,656 posts
8,088 battles
9 minutes ago, nosinkboatpls said:

Yeah, I just think 180k for a T10 service cost is crazy. 150k would be more reasonable imo

Service costs used to be higher and not on a flat fee. What you’re seeing now is after they lowered them.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,317 posts
7,837 battles
2 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

What you’re seeing now is after they lowered them.

Yeah, I'll just stay at T8, thanks.

[NGAGE]
Members
3,466 posts
8,485 battles

I like playing tier X, I like WoWS, and I buy premium camos for my ships.

I guess that makes me a whale... :fish_happy:

[DKM]
[DKM]
Members
134 posts
17,004 battles
56 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

It's a flat repair and service fee. The high service fee is intentional. It makes sure that people aren't playing T10 all the time once they get there, and leaving the lower tiers as depopulated wastelands (not that high tier gameplay is that attractive atm).

And it's still possible to regularly make a profit at tier 8 without premium. Just got to play well. T9 and 10 is where it really starts to bite.

and then there are T10 premium camos. I started to collect massive amount of credits in t10 because of it.

Members
40 posts
7,098 battles
40 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

It's a flat fee. If your ship enters the battle, it will cost you the same to repair whether you survived with 100% HP or got detonated 2 minutes in. The rearm cost is variable, the more ordnance you fire, the more it costs. Tanking and performance only increase your credit earnings, they don't affect the repair cost.

This should be the first loading screen tip at the beginning of every match. Maybe if everyone was aware of this  players would not run and hide when they think the match is lost instead of fighting for the win.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,790 posts
11,507 battles

The high tier service costs are more than a bit of a shock particularly if you do not have premium where you have to run mid tier ships to finance the high tier ships. For tier 10 the permanent camo is will worth the money with the credit earning increase combined with the service cost decrease. I have premium and I am no umicum and with that camo it is extremely rare to lose credits in my tier 10's although without premium losing credits would be more common.

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,539 posts
5,654 battles
14 minutes ago, Pegneus said:

and then there are T10 premium camos. I started to collect massive amount of credits in t10 because of it.

WG: "Comrade! We hear that you can't  afford to run high tier ships! No problem bro we got you covered (pun intended) with our innovative camo solution...

...it just requires a small fee.

Oh did I mention we have a discount on our most expensive doubloon package?":cap_like:

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,745 posts
17,968 battles
1 hour ago, nosinkboatpls said:

It actually was much worse and WG HAS done something about it.  It's not that bad currently compared to before.

[TBW]
Members
7,863 posts
14,325 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

However, the ammunition cost is negligible compared to the service fee, and if you're a moderately decent shot and land at least moderate damage with your salvos, you should earn a lot more per salvo than it costs to fire.

You mean, firing indiscriminately at Islands doesn't help your costs?

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[DKM]
[DKM]
Members
134 posts
17,004 battles
4 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

WG: "Comrade! We hear that you can't  afford to run high tier ships! No problem bro we got you covered (pun intended) with our innovative camo solution...

...it just requires a small fee.

Oh did I mention we have a discount on our most expensive doubloon package?":cap_like:

it´s not like I can not afford it, more like getting real good amounts of credits. The argument to populate the low tiers fly out of the window a long time ago. Look at the last ranked season.