You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chaos_EN2

My Claim of Naval Service

78 comments in this topic

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles

Well I have been trying to stay off my soap box about issues. But on a different thread I got told this "Since you claim your former Navy, I'll refrain from commenting on your awareness/intelligence." Well the insult to my awareness/intelligence did not bother me, heck I have never claimed to be the brightest tool in the shed, BUT that one little word CLAIM just really got got under my skin.

So I want to assure everyone on the Forum that in Fact I am a United States Navy Veteran, I did nothing more than serve for 8yrs in the bowels of ships working on everything from 650lb Boilers to Diesel Engines, I have known my port from my starboard since 1978 and did not learn in this or any other game. I have been half way around the world, and gotten drunk in ports that I care to remember.

I am not a Hero, I did not serve in "combat duty", but I have seen men come home in body bags. I felt the sea spray hit me the face, I seen the Sun rise and set on several Seas, I have rebuilt 6-71 Diesel Engines, and crawled round inside of the Oil Sump of Diesel Engines with Pistons 2.5 feet diameter. I have taken salt water from the sea and changed into fresh, I am USN Veteran.

Did I have a perfect career, heck no I messed up big time and I will freely admit it! There was no gold on my sleeve, BUT I am USN Veteran and NO ONE can take that away from me. I have TWO DD214s and TWO Honorable Discharges to back it up! BUT now that I think of it, I must have some brains, since I could run/rebuild Diesel Engine, I could operate/repair Evaporators, and was also the Engineering Department Duty Supply Petty Officer work with the Snap II system. Also learned to fight Fires on board ships, from Navy Fire Fighting School and from real life experience, so I have seen REAL shipboard fires.

Strange how one little word can set you off, sorry to bug you all on the forum. But I had vent, one last thing I am posting a picture of my Veteran ID Card - in the State of Ohio you can only get these if you have your DD214s, so I am a USN Vet, there is NO CLAIM to it, it is FACT! (EDIT: I took down my Vet Card, for personal reasons).

7QSsrGx.jpg

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 13

[NAM-4]
[NAM-4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
157 posts
5,920 battles

Hince why I carry my cooy of my DD214.I was in the Navy as well in the SEABEES and have been told I should show proof ok you got I whip it show them enough said then I politely tell them a few choice words and move on.

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
4 minutes ago, NAVYSEABEEPETE said:

Hince why I carry my cooy of my DD214.I was in the Navy as well in the SEABEES and have been told I should show proof ok you got I whip it show them enough said then I politely tell them a few choice words and move on.

I used too, until I found my local Veteran's Service Commission offered that card, it honored here. My DD214s are like me, getting a little old.:cap_haloween: 

[SPTR]
Members
20,148 posts
6,047 battles

There is a negative stigma associated with those in the armed forces, a stereotype which unfortunately like all stereotypes has slight basis. Nevertheless, respect should still be conferred and you shouldn't be judged just because of your job, and an honourable one it is. 

I'll be going to the army, hopefully the navy, though more for conscription than for volunteering. My respects to your service, don't let the people who judge you get you down, and show them that you are better than those who judge you based on your job.

• Cool 1

[NAM-4]
[NAM-4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
157 posts
5,920 battles

I got me an extra copy for that reason.Keep the original at home.

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
Just now, khaenn35 said:

My respects to your service, don't let the people who judge you get you down, and show them that you are better than those who judge you based on your job.

Well it did not get me down, it got my blood boiling.

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
2 minutes ago, NAVYSEABEEPETE said:

I got me an extra copy for that reason.Keep the original at home.

I keep my extra copies at home too, in a fire proof safe. Along with all my Naval Stuff. I carry the card because it is easier.

Members
109 posts
9,024 battles

Thank you for your service!

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
6 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

You should have been in the Army its better. :cap_viking:

Why in the heck would I want to sleep in a hole in the ground LOL:cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
2 minutes ago, chrisope said:

Thank you for your service!

Thank you for your support!

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,637 battles

I was born 4 months after you signed up aka you're old :p

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
Just now, Hatework said:

I was born 4 months after you signed up aka you're old :p

LOL:cap_haloween: Yup I am, proud of it LOL:cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Beta Testers
95 posts
8,786 battles

Unfortunately, the anonymity of the internet emboldens individuals to say and do things that they wouldn't do if they were standing in front of you. We've all seen many examples of internet "bravado" in these forums that just leave you shaking your head in disbelief. I have no doubt that there have been more than a few "stolen valor" types posting their B.S. here and many of them ironically are the first ones to question someone else's qualifications. At the end of the day, I think that most of us who have actually served can tell the difference between the real and the fake. We may not always agree on everything but I for one have never doubted your service or your credibility. Once you get past the "rivalry thing", we are all brothers and sisters in the profession of arms and I have great respect for the veterans of all services and of all nations. The Marines are looking for a few good men and you ain't it but hey, we can't all be perfect.

Semper Fi

• Funny 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles

For the record, I'd like to apologize for not taking your claim at face value.  I have not served in the armed forces and I greatly value the sacrifice of those who have.

OP, you came into one of my threads and basically made a "git gud" post when I'd spent several pages of comments explaining how there is no active counter.  So apparently we both got a little wrapped around the axle.  Obviously, your irritation is far more grounded in reality and actual blood sweat and tears than mine.

But, I do think that Navy experience only goes so far to make you an expert in the game mechanics.  The real world is the real world and I would unquestioningly follow your lead in the real world.  In the game world, gamers can be just as knowledgeable about the game mechanics as someone who has real world experience.  In some cases, maybe even more so.  I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means but I do have a fair amount of time behind the wheel and in particular the topic of my thread.

Again, apologies.  Our veterans deserve so much more than we give them.

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
10 minutes ago, Devildog23 said:

Unfortunately, the anonymity of the internet emboldens individuals to say and do things that they wouldn't do if they were standing in front of you. We've all seen many examples of internet "bravado" in these forums that just leave you shaking your head in disbelief. I have no doubt that there have been more than a few "stolen valor" types posting their B.S. here and many of them ironically are the first ones to question someone else's qualifications. At the end of the day, I think that most of us who have actually served can tell the difference between the real and the fake. We may not always agree on everything but I for one have never doubted your service or your credibility. Once you get past the "rivalry thing", we are all brothers and sisters in the profession of arms and I have great respect for the veterans of all services and of all nations. The Marines are looking for a few good men and you ain't it but hey, we can't all be perfect.

Semper Fi

Devildog23, I think the reason that word claim got to me, was because of Stolen Valor. Which for me, a Veteran, and a son of a WW2 Veteran it came across like I was being accused of Stolen Valor.

I am sure it was not meant that way BUT that is how it felt. And for me, Stolen Valor Person is one of the lowest of life there is.

And Marine, from a Old Gator thanks for your service.

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
1 minute ago, CommodoreKang said:

For the record, I'd like to apologize for not taking your claim at face value.  I have not served in the armed forces and I greatly value the sacrifice of those who have.

OP, you came into one of my threads and basically made a "git gud" post when I'd spent several pages of comments explaining how there is no active counter.  So apparently we both got a little wrapped around the axle.  Obviously, your irritation is far more grounded in reality and actual blood sweat and tears than mine.

But, I do think that Navy experience only goes so far to make you an expert in the game mechanics.  The real world is the real world and I would unquestioningly follow your lead in the real world.  In the game world, gamers can be just as knowledgeable about the game mechanics as someone who has real world experience.  In some cases, maybe even more so.  I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means but I do have a fair amount of time behind the wheel and in particular the topic of my thread.

Again, apologies.  Our veterans deserve so much more than we give them.

Apology accepted.

But "In the game world, gamers can be just as knowledgeable about the game mechanics as someone who has real world experience." I have been  a computer gamer since the 1990s, and I ran and scripted (self-taught) for a RunUO Free server called "Legends of Hope" for four years.

And I re-build my own computers (again self taught) and trouble shoot them, so sometimes us old sea dogs can learn new tricks!:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
Just now, Chaos_EN2 said:

Apology accepted.

But "In the game world, gamers can be just as knowledgeable about the game mechanics as someone who has real world experience." I have been  a computer gamer since the 1990s, and I ran and scripted (self-taught) for a RunUO Free server called "Legends of Hope" for four years.

And I re-build my own computers (again self taught) and trouble shoot them, so sometimes us old sea dogs can learn new tricks!:Smile_honoring:

PS: I am not calling my self a expert, as we said in the Navy "an expert is sometimes just drip under pressure."

[TBW]
Members
7,714 posts
14,140 battles
1 hour ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

I seen the Sun rise and set on several Seas

Did you get to see a green flash? They are pretty cool, I was on watch on deck being a Boatswains mate so I got to see 5 or 6 of them. Alaska is a great place for Vets, preferred parking, Veteran discounts, respect. It's like a Veteran retirement community up there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash

gf1.thumb.jpg.e6f0f515c2b171a2b2841c86599139ed.jpg

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[TBW]
Members
7,714 posts
14,140 battles
51 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

44 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Why in the heck would I want to sleep in a hole in the ground LOL:cap_haloween:

I was going to say, when is the last time a tank rocked you to sleep?

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,241 battles
11 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

PS: I am not calling my self a expert, as we said in the Navy "an expert is sometimes just drip under pressure."

The more I know, the more I know that I don't know.  The experts are just winging it like the rest of us lol...

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
12 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Did you get to see a green flash? They are pretty cool, I was on watch on deck being a Boatswains mate so I got to see 5 or 6 of them. Alaska is a great place for Vets, preferred parking, Veteran discounts, respect. It's like a Veteran retirement community up there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash

Yeah I see it I few times.

6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I was going to say, when is the last time a tank rocked you to sleep?

LoL:cap_haloween:

And I remember how shock Army Guys/Gals were when they saw the Navy had a Steak and Lobster Night.

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
2 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

The more I know, the more I know that I don't know.  The experts are just winging it like the rest of us lol...

Amen to that!:Smile_honoring:

At 58yrs young I am still learning.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,795 posts
5,187 battles
1 hour ago, Lonewolfpj said:

Speaking as a straight-leg veteran of the US Army, USAF has it better.

Totally understand your reaction, OP.  That'd make my blood boil, too.

27 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

The first part, spot on.  The second part... well, everyone's ignorant about something.  And no matter how much you know about a subject, there's always someone who knows more.  But someone whose expertise is based on experience is probably not winging it - and when they have to, they can usually figure out the exact right way to 'wing'.  Don't poop on knowledge.