You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Nemo_Veritas

I just don't get the North Carolina

27 comments in this topic

Members
13 posts
2,245 battles

At the end of my Colorado grind, I was so excited to get the NC. Everything I heard about it was good. It's fast, supposedly accurate and very tanky when angled. Everyone says the Colorado is horrible and you should just free xp past it. That's very not true. In many cases the Colorado is better than the NC, except in speed and AA and a few other things.

Like, seriously

My win rate went from this:

Colorado

VXKZkd7.jpg

To this:

North Carolina

RMhPYDb.jpg

It just seems like every battle I go into, my team gets completely stomped on and I end up getting an average of 20k-35k damage, or even worse. I think one battle I did a grand total of.... 0 damage. I just don't get it. This ship was supposed to be leaps and bounds above the Colorado, but I'm just not seeing it. I'll follow my team, stay angled, and yet I still get focused and burned down with no way to retaliate because my shells are so slow that it takes an eternity for them to hit anything. If I try to close the distance to around 10-15km to actually hit something, I end up getting rushed by a DD or torpedoed to death, or burned down and focused. As you can see, I've only survived 13 out of 61 battles. I just don't know what it is.

This ship is just beyond frustrating. It feels like I went down a tier honestly.

cPrJEQa.jpg

lOXwvb7.jpg

• Cool 1

[DENY]
Members
382 posts
5,090 battles

Welcome to t8 mm were you get mm with 9 and 10 were the overall gameplay is totally different of what you are used to . People at those tier play very passively . But if the enemy team is more aggressive you get crush . You just need to adapt to the different tactic at those tier

22k damage is really weak . One salvo can do that . You need to get better at aiming

Edited by dad003

Members
13 posts
2,245 battles
3 minutes ago, dad003 said:

Welcome to t8 mm were you get mm with 9 and 10 were the overall gameplay is totally different of what you are used to . People at those tier play very passively . But if the enemy team is more aggressive you get crush . You just need to adapt to the different tactic at those tier

22k damage is really weak . One salvo can do that . You need to get better at aiming

Luckily I just had a game that I won with 65k damage, which is a welcome change. Honestly it feels just like a giant RNG ship. It's so hard for me to get used to how slow the shells are, when when they actually hit, even at close range I rarely get any citadels.

[DENY]
Members
382 posts
5,090 battles

By looking at your stats your average damage seem pretty low for me . I think you need to look at the armor of some ship to know we're to aim even your max damage at 116k it low . 

[WPP]
Members
621 posts
6,226 battles
3 minutes ago, dad003 said:

By looking at your stats your average damage seem pretty low for me . I think you need to look at the armor of some ship to know we're to aim even your max damage at 116k it low . 

I’m by no means an expert, but one of the things that may be giving the OP trouble is that you need to aim but the ship just begs to fire from 26km.  No matter how good your aim is, the 18 seconds it takes to hit far away ships give them a ton of time to move... even if they aren’t trying to avoid your shells there’s a natural amount of movement most players have by higher tiers.  

I hated it until I got everything upgraded and now I can see why people like it.  But the MM can be brutal - 3 games today and all 3 had me as the only tier 8.  In one it was 11 Tier Xs and me on my team.  

Members
412 posts
6,860 battles

Don’t be afraid to use HE when targets are greater than 15 km or angled.

act as a support ship for your DD, get within 10-12 k of the cap with an island covering one of your flanks so your not eating damage from one side.

if things get messy disengage and go dark, this is maneuverable stealthy ship actually as far as B.B. go.

Need to work in support of other ahips when your T8 in mostly T10 matches.

Working with your DD is the best plan I think and you can often get nice broadside shots if you can anticipate the torp paths of your team which will cause the enemy ships to turn.

Have to be a bit humble in NC and recognize your the litttle guy in many matches who packs a punch, try to work on surviving late into matches, don’t try to go toe to toe bow tanking early in the game, just too much dmg flying around in the higher tiers.

Edited by Visidious

[RLGN]
Members
8,688 posts
17,952 battles

Colorado is still fun, NC is were the fun ends and gameplay that's nothing but a chore begins.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Community Department
2,208 posts
542 battles

I've had the same moments with some ships already. It's important to choose a set of appropriate upgrades, perks and suitable tactics. If you solve it for yourself you'll overcome the difficulties. Even one upgrade or one missing perk may spoil everything. NC is very dangerous in the middle and close range,so you've found it right. Show your upgrades and perks, maybe they need to be changed. 

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,955 battles

Good news:  What you're experiencing is totally normal for the VII to VIII jump.  

Bad news:  North Carolina is an excellent ship that sees the very best out there on very regular occasion.

You're going to want to develop two types of play stiles.  Aggressively drive the match when you're top-tier, and play much more of a support role when you're bottom.  Fortunately NC's 16/45s work against any Tier X ship, she's just slower, smaller and a little fragile at that tier.  Her stealth means you can make some very well educated predictions about where best to position yourself, and even if you're only getting there at 25 knots it's reasonably sufficient.  If you don't have the B Hull yet, it's worth the investment and then the engine upgrade which adds two (point one) very helpful knots.

You've finally reached the point in the American battleships where their speed can just as easily get them in to trouble as out of it.  Even though I always run the speed flag on NC, it's not to blast right in at the beginning of the match and level everything in sight.  Usually you're just the first target (in low-tier matches because you're a serious threat and in high-tier matches because anybody who makes themselves a target at the outset of the game will not survive more than a minute or two) and get burnt down immediately.  Your speed and your stealth will allow you to pick and chose your battles reasonably well.  Keep in mind that just at Tier VIII alone Bismarck, Tirpitz, Amagi, Roma, Kii and most definitely Richelieu will still run you down if they want.  The trick is convincing them they do not want to.

I didn't mention the range module earlier.  That's because I have no use for it, despite having spent the experience for it.  21km is generous plenty and 23 is just silly.  Maybe it might possibly be useful if NC had 16/50s, but alas no.  The only thing sillier is running the range upgrade on Richelieu.  It just increases your firing detection bloom another two kilometers and allows those other four or five red ships see where you are another twenty seconds.

Good luck, I think you'll grow to enjoy her once you get your head wrapped around the "fast" American battleship play style.  It is a wholly different beast than Colorado, especially in having an extra two rifles you can point downrange while remaining very effectively angled against incoming fire.  X Turret is also pretty generously positioned and only requires a little hip check to get a shot off before swinging back into a good defensive position.  

(Caveat here:  I'm no NC pro, and have only very modestly average stats in her.  If you're able to use even one part of this post and feel an improvement in your quality of life I'll be happy with the result.)

-R

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,467 posts
6,804 battles

North Carolina does have a very high ceiling, it all depends on whether or not you can land the shells and whether or not your aim is on point.

Her guns are hard hitting and accurate, the armor is strong as long as the angle is correct, the AA a terror for planes provided you have some upgrades and didn‘t get spammed yet.

Watch some guides on NC, I think it becomes easier when you watch people play her.

[SYJ]
Members
1,010 posts
2,260 battles

Hard to say for sure with 1095 battles, but this likely is your first battleship grind. You made a huge jump from the tanky Americans that were NY, NM, and Colorado, to the lighter, more agile NC and Iowa. It's a big jump, and at tier 8 you really can't just yolo tank as much as you can at tier 7. 

If you wanna div, I'm actually working through my NC... I'm not awesome in her, but I'm good enough to lend a hand.(I just recently maxed her modules. Stock grinds rock!) Add me in game, same username:Smile_honoring:

[NAM-1]
[NAM-1]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
148 posts
5,018 battles

I was the same way as well.I had to adapt real quick on 9 and 10 plays.Just keep going you will find your groove and style soon.

[NNC]
Members
2,059 posts
7,852 battles

USN BB's was my first line i worked and if you look at my stats.... lol they speak for themselfs.

south carolina -> colorado was that one phase where i thought 20k was good.

then i got to NC where most ships have the ability to take all you hp out in one salvo. So then i needed a huge learning curve to succeed.

the only thing i was ever good at in nc was ramming... smh lol. Since then i only rammed once since i grinded that line in a tier 8 battleship when i rammed my monarch into a yamato

this probably didnt happen till i hit iowa montana. 

NC will be good for you one day. Just figure out te typicla fast usn battleship designs from the all or nothing scheme

Edited by JessieTheKitty

[SRBL]
Members
133 posts

I'll second the earlier poster who said to act in a support role when matched into the 9/10 games and to take charge when you are the top dog. It sounds simple but you need to break the Tier VII paradigm of the Colorado (which, like you, I did very well in). 

[-K-]
Members
5,477 posts
9,417 battles
6 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

USN BB's was my first line i worked and if you look at my stats.... lol they speak for themselfs.

south carolina -> colorado was that one phase where i thought 20k was good.

then i got to NC where most ships have the ability to take all you hp out in one salvo. So then i needed a huge learning curve to succeed.

the only thing i was ever good at in nc was ramming... smh lol. Since then i only rammed once since i grinded that line in a tier 8 battleship when i rammed my monarch into a yamato

this probably didnt happen till i hit iowa montana. 

NC will be good for you one day. Just figure out te typicla fast usn battleship designs from the all or nothing scheme

Ah yes, the things we would do differently if we had another go around. 

I think this is why a lot of people start secondary accounts.....well, that plus "look at mah purple stats, bro".

[TDG]
Members
1,412 posts
6,505 battles
10 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I think this is why a lot of people start secondary accounts.....well, that plus "look at mah purple stats, bro".

I find it better to keep the low stats.

Makes the stat watchers underestimate my threat.

Not that I am all that much of a threat anyway.:cap_fainting:

[NNC]
Members
2,059 posts
7,852 battles
51 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Ah yes, the things we would do differently if we had another go around. 

Yeh. I think my nikolai / cesare are better stats

edit i think even ashitaka has three times better stats lol

Edited by JessieTheKitty

[WOLF5]
Members
1,676 posts
2,358 battles
6 hours ago, Nemo_Veritas said:

Luckily I just had a game that I won with 65k damage, which is a welcome change. Honestly it feels just like a giant RNG ship. It's so hard for me to get used to how slow the shells are, when when they actually hit, even at close range I rarely get any citadels.

RNG isn't the issue. NC is one of the most accurate BBs in game. The shells float, but at 15km and less it's pretty easy to learn to hit things. T7 to T8 is a jump, but you're doing it in the right ship. NC is probably tier for tier the best USN BB, except maybe the MO. However, there is a learning curve, which you may still be in. Also, the NC, IA, MO, AL, and MT do not play like the standard BBs. So not only is the tier changing (usually top tier to at least 50% bottom tier) but the ship style is changing too. The NC is perfectly viable in T10, especially with the great concealment. Use that concealment to avoid being focused and to get in close to your victims.

Also, know where to aim, the NCs guns are very rewarding if you know where to aim. Broadside USN and IJN BBs aim for waterline. Waterline on broadside cruisers. A little higher on angled cruisers at mid to long range - plunging fire. Close it, you can overmatch so aim for the nose. KMS and RN BBs aim for the deck line for the pen damage as citadels are rare and most waterline shots will shatter. DDs, just shoot. If you can, wait until they're angled then fire so the shell hits them at an angle and has time to arm, causing full penetration damage.

Finally, you should be mid range support. Not way back at 20km, not in the cap. 10-12 km, using your concealment to disengage if needed, but close enough to make the reds feel your 16in guns. Have team-mates around you, you can't solo an entire flank. You can also be AA cover. The NC probably has the best tier for tier AA of any BB.

Finally, just get comfortable with the ship. It may take a good number of games to get used to the NC, but played right she is an awesome ship.

[TACO]
Beta Testers
560 posts
5,911 battles

I found Colorado to be a blast (I kept it and I bring it out from time to time) and definitely had trouble with NC. Keep in mind CO's bad reputation was from game launch when she was a pretty bad ship, she has been improved quite a bit now even from when I played her. I felt like maybe I didn't "get" NC and I had a couple punishing games while I learned the art of tanking with her, but I do remember one memorable game where I tanked 3 other NCs and a Warspite for several minutes before they finally got alongside me. I was really worried that the bow-on style would continue to Iowa, and to an extent it does. If you're having trouble with NC, keep in mind it is training you for Iowa. If you're having a good time in NC, well I don't know how you did it but good job.

I should revisit NC someday now that I've played the game more. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,315 posts
9,621 battles
7 hours ago, dad003 said:

It is particularly bad now because of the US cruiser split and the Halsey campaign being tier 8 - 10. We still have to go through the CL portion of the split and then things will settle down.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,589 posts
3,603 battles

It took me about 50-60 games to finally "get it" when I got the NC, she is a more fragile ship in a place with ships that are more dangerous. The things you got away with in T6 and 7 will get you severally punished in high tier. Add to the lethality, the meta is very different also that rewards or punishes positioning

If you have some replays you could post that would be great because it would give us a better idea of what's going on

[RLGN]
Members
8,688 posts
17,952 battles
2 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

It took me about 50-60 games to finally "get it" when I got the NC, she is a more fragile ship in a place with ships that are more dangerous. The things you got away with in T6 and 7 will get you severally punished in high tier. Add to the lethality, the meta is very different also that rewards or punishes positioning.

Like I said; all chore, no fun.

3 hours ago, TacoSallust said:

I should revisit NC someday now that I've played the game more. 

If I didn't loathe high tiers so much, maybe I would.

Members
13 posts
2,245 battles
6 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

It took me about 50-60 games to finally "get it" when I got the NC, she is a more fragile ship in a place with ships that are more dangerous. The things you got away with in T6 and 7 will get you severally punished in high tier. Add to the lethality, the meta is very different also that rewards or punishes positioning

If you have some replays you could post that would be great because it would give us a better idea of what's going on

This is my most recent NC game

20180612_021921_PASB012-North-Carolina-1945_14_Atlantic.wowsreplay

[MOH]
Members
302 posts
1,467 battles

I actually had the opposite experience.  I did okay in the New Mexico (53%WR), struggled more with the Colorado (48%WR), but seemed to click with the North Carolina (59%WR).  I'm not the best player, but I really, really enjoy the playstyle and feel of the North Carolina.

I found that my best playstyle with the North Carolina was treating it like a bow tanker.  You can position yourself bow on to a group of enemies and use those powerful 16"/45cal shells from the front two turrets to plunge through enemy deck armor, as well as fire opportunistic salvos towards ships that show broadside.  It is incredibly durable from the front, but incredible fragile from the sides, so any exposure is practically a death sentence.  This is different from the Colorado, which is a bit more forgiving to show broadside here and there due to being a quick turner and more heavily armored.  And although the North Carolina is not as nimble as the Colorado, it is nimble enough to stay properly angled when an enemy ship advances on you. 

In most games I play with the North Carolina, I am "holding a position" rather than flying around the map, and using its amazing stealth to its advantage.  Use island cover to help protect your broadsides where you can find it.  Although 27knots feels fantastic after a marathon of painfully slow USS Standards, it is still one of the slowest battleships in your bracket, so you're going to be in a severe disadvantage in any "chase" scenario. 

I hope this helps.  I did enjoy the Colorado, but it just never clicked with me.

[OO]
[OO]
Members
186 posts
7,771 battles

As I recall...and it was like a recurring nightmare, so it is very easy for me to remember...I had the hardest time with the North Carolina shell trajectory. They seemed to just 'hang' in the air while enemy ships sailed underneath and ultimately well past their impact point. It got so bad and my stats suffered so greatly (but the only stats I ever really give a hoot about are the WIN Rate & FUN FACTOR) that I thought I would move quickly on to the Iowa thinking "It has to better than this !" - OOOPS. Same type of trajectory at distance = same problem with my style of play & frustration level. So I went back to the N.Carolina, moved a more skilled Captain onto her bridge and things started to improve somewhat. I am but an average player who likes to have fun while playing and, I know there is more fun in winning than the alternative offers yet there is something to be said for learning through adversity and from T8 on up there is plenty of adversity to be had but keep at it - and don't forget to partake in what the lower tier offers at least from time to time (most seasoned players will tell you their biggest fun came early-on while they were playing lower tiers). Don't be so quick to turn the grind into a GRIND.

The one good thing about your dilemma as I see it, is that you at least reach out for helpful advice on the threads. There is plenty of it to be had from people who have played a lot more and have somewhat mastered one ship or another. Keep in mind that every ship has different attributes or shortcomings - by type & tier - so first research and purchase ships that fit your style of play even at higher tiers you will find them. Visit WikiBuilds to get the pros & cons of various ships, general advice on how to play them, modules to equip, captain skills to implement etc.. Most of all, continue to have fun. Life is too short to do otherwise (or to drink cheap beer either).

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Edited by CIT_Happens
placement