Sign in to follow this  
ENSParker

Secondary guns firing, nothing detected, then...

8 comments in this topic

Members
19 posts
994 battles

This happened in a game I just finished in Prinz Eugen...

We were pushing toward D on east side of Two Brothers map when a cyclone started. All contact with enemy was lost. Then my secondaries started shooting...and getting hits. I spun my camera all around and couldn't see anything for them to shoot at. At this point, someone yelled "Get Back" in chat at the Montana that was up with me. Since I was pushing further ahead than he was, I figured I should egress also and did so. After the game I was looking at Details screen and saw my secondary hits on two ships, a Shimakaze and a Henri IV.

How can my secondaries shoot at ships I don't have spotted (and hit them)? Believe me, if I had them spotted and my secondaries are hitting, I would have had torps off because my torp range is greater than secondary range. How can the other ships not spot me (Prinz Eugen is not exactly known for its stealth)?

I have a replay available if anyone is interested in viewing it. Things have shown up on replay that were not there when I actually played the game at times in the past...don't know if this is because of low frame rate or what. I haven't viewed it yet because I still have the client open. Just so you know, my frame rate is usually in the low 20 fps range and ping in mid to low 30 ms range.

If anyone wants to see the replay, let me know and I'll post it.

[S0L0]
Members
248 posts
5,690 battles

The best thing I got is that the secondaries start firing the MOMENT they see something.
The ship might had been detected for a small amount of time (like very small), then went away before you were able to to see them yourself. The shells on secondary battery seems to be slower then the ones on main guns so there might be a delay.
(also might be a small rendering big where the computer sees it, but it's not rendered to be visible to the player)

But I don't know *shrugs* my best guesses.

Members
19 posts
994 battles

Makes sense. Shimakaze has no secondaries, so no shooting would have come from there. The Henri IV, though...her secondaries are longer ranged than mine, 6.0km vs. 5.3km. She should have been shooting at me also, although I guess I might not have noticed unless I got hit. No hits on record from Henri IV, and they would have showed up since a Friedrich der Grosse hit me with secondaries later on.

[VW]
Members
2,059 posts
12,968 battles

This is the classic rendering nonsense. Its like when ships spot you before you see them and when they show on the mini map before you see them. At least the secondaries are not affected by this smoke and mirrors.

[PVE]
Members
2,007 posts
18,485 battles
3 hours ago, ENSParker said:

No hits on record from Henri IV, and they would have showed up

Actually post battle statistics just show how many 2ndaries (& main shells & torpedoes for that matter) have hit you but there is no way (that I know of any way) to determine from what specific ship what ammo was fired...if I am missing something...please enlighten me.

Members
19 posts
994 battles

Actually post battle statistics just show how many 2ndaries (& main shells & torpedoes for that matter) have hit you but there is no way (that I know of any way) to determine from what specific ship what ammo was fired...if I am missing something...please enlighten me.

When you go to the Detail Report screen post game and mouse over the Artillery heading under your own ship's damage, it shows what ships hit you with what types of artillery. Don't know if this is new or not...just discovered this a week or so ago myself.

Edited by ENSParker

Members
19 posts
994 battles
On 6/11/2018 at 11:44 PM, monpetitloup said:

This is the classic rendering nonsense. Its like when ships spot you before you see them and when they show on the mini map before you see them. At least the secondaries are not affected by this smoke and mirrors.

Is this what happens when I can't see ships that are firing at me but can see the rounds incoming...even though I've been told there's no more stealth firing? I'm talking about from a spot out in the open, not from behind an island like an Atlanta or Cleveland or something.

Edited by ENSParker

[VW]
Members
2,059 posts
12,968 battles
3 hours ago, ENSParker said:

Is this what happens when I can't see ships that are firing at me but can see the rounds incoming...even though I've been told there's no more stealth firing? I'm talking about from a spot out in the open, not from behind an island like an Atlanta or Cleveland or something.

This is refered to as « kiting » it involves stalking an enemy ship at your maximum detection range, then firing, then drifting back out of detection range. Generally you can continue to do this while being detected at only slight intervals, however if you are looking the other way, you could easily miss the detection of tje ship. There is another expoloit where if you are remotely behind an island and fire over it you remain undetected, even though one could think you might be seen behind it (i mean a low island, not one that completely obscures you from view). The cleves shooting you are no doubt using spotter planes instead of radar and in this way can fire from beyond heir detection range, i don’t recall if spotter planes increase detection range after firing, but either way if slightly covered, they will not show up.

Sign in to follow this