You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Do you look at ranks when the random battle ends?

39 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,284 posts

I probably bring this up at the end of every ranked season... but here's what I see, for the most part, in my random battle matches... that is as long as rank values show. 

I notice more than I probably should notice, but when we get stomped or the match was just totally wonked from the beginning, game play was bad, I couldn't get going, the team couldn't get going, we just fell apart from the git go, the battle results are, "interesting". 

The opposing team seems to have a few more ranked players than my team did... as well as their rank numbers are lower, as in more single digits than my team. Now I realize there are some very very good players out there who do not participate in Ranked battles. But I have to say it seems to be more than just the good old random distribution curve, or local bias or any standard deviation, whatever, right. 

So if you would, just check out your team rank numbers when you get stomped, rolled or when you do the same to the reds. See if you notice anything along those lines. Cause I am always, curious. 

tiafyc

[CUTER]
Members
733 posts
19,805 battles

While this is a trend for sure, it is not an absolute.  There are games where the rank one drivers get dev struck or even wander into torps early and end at the bottom of their team win or lose.  That said, I tend to see the Rank 1 to 3 players consistently in the upper half of the experience chart than in the lower half.   And much like division gameplay, the more you have the more impact it has on who wins the match.  That being said, I can attest for a fact that I have been in games with as many as 5 Rank 1s on the same team, we lost via a good curb stomping, and our final experience placement completely varied.  Interesting observations.

edit:  it could just be that topped ranked players also stick out more in my mind.

Edited by Kongo_Pride

Members
4,680 posts
6,861 battles

Ranked.  Don't play it. Mostly 90% or so of those who do just come on here and spew their hate of it. Why? Why play it?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[WOLFB]
Members
1,834 posts
8,803 battles

I don't really look at ranks in random games but when you notice some R1 doing stuff like sailing broadside to the ennemi fleet in a Yamato or smoke and park inside it in front of 2 red DM 8km away, it really tells you that ranked isn't a question of skill but a question of luck and time. 

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
395 posts
23,887 battles

I look at the ranks on the after battle report.  It is no surprise to me to find that the team with the higher ranking players is often the team that wins.  Not every game, mind you, but 60% would be conservative.

Is this a game flaw?  No.

Is this a function of better players helping their team win?  Oh heck yes.

MM does not sort/sift/allocate based on game experience/ability, by my understanding.  So a team having more or higher ranked players is just the luck of the draw.

16 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Ranked.  Don't play it. Mostly 90% or so of those who do just come on here and spew their hate of it. Why? Why play it?

Why, for the experience, my good man.  The game rewards are perhaps a bit lite.  But the game and battle experience gained from Ranked is hard to beat.  There is no other format where you can play so many competitive games in such a short time.  So by playing Ranked you are boosting your team and battle experience mightily.

Clan Wars may be better for team play but Ranked offers a much larger sample of games in which to grow your skills.

And here is another thing:  people who rank out persevere.  They get the bad teams, the losing streaks, etc, that everyone else gets.  Yet these guys persevere and achieve their goal.  By and large they are ALL good teammates and an asset to have on your team.  You just can't say that about the average player.

See a guy on your team with three little stars by his name and be happy he's there.  He knows what he is doing and he knows how to win.

~Sab

• Cool 1

[TNG]
Members
998 posts
12,678 battles

anyone who plays ranked will get better at this game.  each season i try to play a different class so i can get better at that style of play.  each mistake in ranked is punished due to the fact that everyone in ranked is better than avg once you reach rank 5-1 que.  so yes  put 4 or 5 rank 1 guys on a team vs a team of never played ranked, you will see better team work and positioning by the rank 1 guys.  and thus more wins.

• Cool 1

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,839 battles

Yes, i have watched for the last 3 seasons.

As mentioned above, it is not absolute though. On several occasions i have seena division of high ranked players that were not especially good. But as a general rule it holds pretty well.

I am continually surprised at how evenly MM spreads the ranked players out. The results i have seen would fit nicely in a standard deviation curve.

[RKLES]
Members
7,551 posts
9,599 battles

I often have looked at the Ranks, but from now until the next Ranked season judging the teams by how many high ranked players were on them will be highly inaccurate. Reason why is many of us stopped at Rank 10 out of refusal of doing tier X Ranked instead of getting stuck at Rank 10 like players of previous seasons.

[PVE]
Members
2,008 posts
18,485 battles
2 hours ago, Sabene said:

He knows what he is doing and he knows how to win.

Or at least how to take top of the team when he loses...

Actually...in reality...that would be from any previous season. In this season those that made it to Rank 1 w/the T10 meta would definitely be 1 of those that you want on your team...& hats off to them.

I stopped a T10 because I didn't want to be in their way (well...tried a few battles...got to rank 9 & dropped quickly back down to rank 10 & then determined that I would just be in their way & stopped).

[VW]
Members
2,059 posts
12,980 battles

This is always the case. Of course it doesnt always guarantee a victory, but it is always correlated with blowouts and the ranks are never evenly distributed. The epitome of this is multiple rank one divs on one team and one rank 22 div on the other. The ability of some to deny and bury their heads in the sand when all that is required is to look at the results screen is astounding. And of course they will then say that skill based match making does not exist/is not possible.

this topic has of course already been discussed.

Edited by monpetitloup

[AR]
Members
323 posts
12,213 battles

Of course, I like to see my other Ranked 1 peers results in randoms.

The truth is and some of you may not like this but.... we Ranked 1 players do in fact MASSIVELY increase your teams chances of winning.

At the conclusion of every season, we ALWAYS see at least 1 thread from a none Ranked 1 player winning about MM. Usually a screen shot with the names blacked out is shown. The results are often 1 team hopelessly trounced with no high ranking players on their team vs an opposing team with 3-4 or so Ranked 1 players.

Edited by Aiser50
unfinished post.

[VW]
Members
2,059 posts
12,980 battles

The same phenomenon is also of course the case in ranked battles themselves, where the team expeted to win has more players of lower rank than the other team. This situation is the easiest to observe and one can clearly feel it while in game because those matches are harder to carry/contain more team members who refuse to listen/cooperate/communicate.

[RKLES]
Members
7,551 posts
9,599 battles
4 hours ago, Aiser50 said:

Of course, I like to see my other Ranked 1 peers results in randoms.

The truth is and some of you may not like this but.... we Ranked 1 players do in fact MASSIVELY increase your teams chances of winning.

At the conclusion of every season, we ALWAYS see at least 1 thread from a none Ranked 1 player winning about MM. Usually a screen shot with the names blacked out is shown. The results are often 1 team hopelessly trounced with no high ranking players on their team vs an opposing team with 3-4 or so Ranked 1 players.

A lot of the time yes, but not always. Being on top can be a good thing, but it can also breed some arrogance at times and you would be shocked to hear that some of the easiest players to wear down and sink were Rank 1 players. But war games it can be all too easy not to recognize threats after few hundred times of not facing serious threat until it’s too late lol. 

[KWRCN]
Beta Testers
116 posts
5,999 battles

I don't generally pay attention, unless it was a slaughter one way or the other.  I take them with a grain of salt even then....my own rank shows as 20 this season, but I only played one battle last season, and 3 battles this season before I decided I just wasn't into it.  My rank is basically based on the bonus stars from 3 seasons ago.

Beta Testers
1,335 posts
8,442 battles
10 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I probably bring this up at the end of every ranked season... but here's what I see, for the most part, in my random battle matches... that is as long as rank values show. 

I notice more than I probably should notice, but when we get stomped or the match was just totally wonked from the beginning, game play was bad, I couldn't get going, the team couldn't get going, we just fell apart from the git go, the battle results are, "interesting". 

The opposing team seems to have a few more ranked players than my team did... as well as their rank numbers are lower, as in more single digits than my team. Now I realize there are some very very good players out there who do not participate in Ranked battles. But I have to say it seems to be more than just the good old random distribution curve, or local bias or any standard deviation, whatever, right. 

So if you would, just check out your team rank numbers when you get stomped, rolled or when you do the same to the reds. See if you notice anything along those lines. Cause I am always, curious. 

tiafyc

Actually, I don't see that trend, rather,I don't see it as a trend.  When I check the end match rankings, ranks don't seem to matter.    Plus, there are more than enough decent to good players that avoid ranked (like me) to throw it all off.

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
8,094 battles

I don't play ranked personally, so I don't really pay attention to it.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,968 posts
13,213 battles

Clan tags.

Emblems.

Ranks.

They all provide a certain level of correlation in terms of capability.  But only a rough measure, perhaps because many good players don't clan, many players with emblems don't show them, and many good players don't rank.  But if you see a top tier clan tag, a high end emblem, and rank 1...then yeah, that's going to be someone good.

In general, a known clan tag weighs heavily over the other two because I see several good clan players who don't display their emblem and either don't play rank or don't grind.

• Cool 1

Members
557 posts
3,803 battles

Keeping in mind that rank or the lack off a rank is by no means an absolute standard, there is a certain relevance to the OP’s assumption.

Yet, based on the massive bottleneck at R10, the delineation of player value/skill/tenacity is somewhat defused this season.  A R10-R9 has less significance than before. But, a rank below that would tend to suggest a greater return expected for your team.  “Suggest” is about as strong of a word that I will use.

Regardless, it’s always wise to identify those highly ranked red players and eliminate them ASAP.  As for your own team, the only data point I have gleamed is that more ranked players typically means a better shot at winning the match.  But, it’s a flawed premise...and not to be relied on for anything other than bemusement.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,360 posts
3,983 battles

I always keep an eye out for divs with known clan tags. Aside from that, I always look at the end to see how many divs are R1 divs. A lot of times I seem to get matched against them and my team always gets stomped pretty handily in those situations. 
But again I sometimes see R1-10s acting like idiots and not helping their team in victory. 

[SOB]
[SOB]
Members
254 posts
4,037 battles

I pay more attention before the match then after. As the game is loading I look at the opposing team & if I see any well placed clans or persons with them pretty emblems & make a mental note of them. I wont say I go hunting them in the match but given the option they will get shot at 1st. 

After match scores I give a cursory glance unless one team or the other got thrashed. Then its more of a trying to figure out what went wrong whether I am on the winning team or not. IMO you can learn as much by your enemies defeat as you can by your own victory. 

Members
557 posts
3,803 battles
Just now, Sledgehammer427 said:

I always keep an eye out for divs with known clan tags. Aside from that, I always look at the end to see how many divs are R1 divs. A lot of times I seem to get matched against them and my team always gets stomped pretty handily in those situations. 
But again I sometimes see R1-10s acting like idiots and not helping their team in victory. 

I only look at the start. At the end, I generally already understand just how relevant the rank, emblem, or clan was to their performance.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,185 posts
4,880 battles

I note out of curiosity that some people whose rank is higher than mine did worse than me, or possibly even were sunk by me. And that helps me bear the losses and smile.

Hopefully the next ranked season will be the same tier the whole way through, and I can actually put some effort into this in the knowledge that I won't be capped at Rank 10. I heard somewhere it's going to be Tier 7, which would be good. I might have moved my best captain to Tier 8 (a mistake in retrospect, but he was needed there for other reasons), but I'm more familiar with my T7 ship and I will see how I make out with a 10 point captain in her.

Beta Testers
2,317 posts
4,347 battles
10 hours ago, Rilak said:

anyone who plays ranked will get better at this game.  each season i try to play a different class so i can get better at that style of play.  each mistake in ranked is punished due to the fact that everyone in ranked is better than avg once you reach rank 5-1 que.  so yes  put 4 or 5 rank 1 guys on a team vs a team of never played ranked, you will see better team work and positioning by the rank 1 guys.  and thus more wins.

Really? Is that why we have had people rank out with 45% win rates in the past?

[TBOW]
Members
1,342 posts
10,981 battles

I actually look at the clan names and color first, then pay attention to ranks.  Usually there is something there to be learned, maybe you are up against a people from a high ranking clan.  That is of more info to me than the person's personal Rank from Ranked Season.