popeye_da_seaman

Just a shout out for the passing of one of the last USS Indianapolis survivors!

8 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
5,749 battles

My Boss's father just passed away Louis Kayo Erwin he was one of the last survivors of the USS INDIANAPOLIS, I sat down with him for a hour at this past Christmas party and that man went through hell in July 1945 his ship was sunk by a Japanese sub they where in shark infested waters for 4 days until discovered. So sad to see so many WW2 vets passing most of my life I talked to many of them some including my Grandfather who was a submariner on the USS Croaker. 

• Cool 8

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles

Sorry. They are now passing fast. All the one's I still know are over 90.  Gee, and I knew a lot of them in the 50's who were still in their thirties.  Time flies. My consolations to you.  Neat about your Grandfather. Dangerous duty and I am sure he did his duty. I kinda old fashioned maybe.  "Duty, HONOR, country. America has not been perfect in it's history but by GOD the world was fortunate that we were there in the 20th century when utter barbarism reared it's head....at least when I was growing up. Carry on.:Smile_honoring:

Sorry, I kinda tired of the trash America for "everything" types that are out there now. But, we can do better. I understand.  Your friend and ancestors were part of America's greatest generation as it's often called. Came to age in the Great Depression (had nothing) then had to fight WWII. Great people.  I knew them well growing up. All they wanted was a better life for their kids after all that was over.

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 3

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
2 hours ago, popeye_da_seaman said:

My Boss's father just passed away Louis Kayo Erwin he was one of the last survivors of the USS INDIANAPOLIS, I sat down with him for a hour at this past Christmas party and that man went through hell in July 1945 his ship was sunk by a Japanese sub they where in shark infested waters for 4 days until discovered. So sad to see so many WW2 vets passing most of my life I talked to many of them some including my Grandfather who was a submariner on the USS Croaker. 

Sadly an event largely forgotten until Robert Shaw's absolutely riveting portrayal as a survivor of the disaster in Jaws. 

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

What an amazing story, must have been great to speak with him. May he rest in peace, reunited with his comrades in Heaven o7

[XO]
Members
206 posts
8,226 battles

My Heartfelt Condolences to the Family & Friends of Mr. Erwin.

My Never-ending Gratitude to Coxswain Louis Erwin.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.