You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
jowen3400

Riding the wall in a Game

29 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
15 posts
2,920 battles

War Gaming PLZ fix this exploit.  Make it so the ship can't shoot or takes 20% damage a sec after 5 sec.  This needs to be fixed!.  Normal Aiming doesn't work the ship is moving in 2 directions and makes for unfair game play.  Either Can;t shoot or take a hug amount of damage.  OR ban the account and delete every ship they have.  Either one of those 3 will work.

• Boring 1

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
469 posts
5,431 battles

I always wanted to increase my post count. But by pissing off every other forum member and the Mods? I'd rather get caught riding a wall!

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
848 posts
7,841 battles

This was a huge issue back in the day. But it shouldn't be now, ship's that do try and abuse this run at fifty percent speed making them easier to target. 

One can always ignore this vessel and use islands as cover etc, but i can't picture the situation that initiated this post without context. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,094 posts
10,963 battles

I really hate the current border humping mechanic too. Even if they slow down the ship or whatever, it's still moving in an erratic way that's very hard to hit. I think border collisions should be like island collisions.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I have at times got caught on the wall and sometimes in the given situation  it is the best defence.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,203 battles

Who cares if they are border humping? Someone that border humps are no where near the cap and are completely useless to the team. Let him keep the border, take the caps, win the game and move on to the next game. 

• Cool 3

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I was caught in the border a few times fighting more than one ship some instances it is the best defence just to stay in it.

Alpha Tester
1,212 posts
4,968 battles

I have been playing this game since alpha and I haven't once had an issue with hitting someone against the map border, in fact it's a really easy way to rack up fire damage and citadels depending on what I'm playing. Torpedoes are a given since they're robbed of 50% of their maneuvering options and almost always have to come past you to escape. If you're having trouble scoring solid hits aim closer than where you normally would and watch them wilt.

Members
339 posts
3,503 battles
3 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

Who cares if they are border humping? Someone that border humps are no where near the cap and are completely useless to the team. Let him keep the border, take the caps, win the game and move on to the next game. 

+1 I don't care about this at all. I sometimes end up on the border from not paying attention, I try to get away as soon as possible.

WG focus on the 1,000 things more important than this non issue.

• Cool 1

Members
1,205 posts
3,161 battles

There is already a penalty, the engine power penalty. It wasn't always like that. A couple years ago, a ship could hit the border and pull off some really neat matrix moves that annoyed the crap out of everyone who was trying to hit them. Now it isn't that hard to hit them since they are going slow, you just have to know which side they are "shifting" to. A damage penalty is too harsh. 

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
1,822 posts
25,932 battles

Yes.  The "rope a dope" tactic is awesome.  Frustrates the enemy to the point of fixation.  It can draw two or three ships away from the battle to kill a low health runner who wants nothing more than to stay alive and draw enemy resources away from the fight.

[RKLES]
Members
9,325 posts
11,213 battles

And if you get close enough to a ship stuck in the wall with -50% engine power they actually are a lot easier to kill. No if you are really far away from them then it might be a bit of a problem calculating your aim.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

I believe that ships that're riding the wall should not be able to shoot or launch planes while doing so. That would sure cut back on abusers and I wonder why WG hasn't done that.

[SALVO]
Members
21,362 posts
21,609 battles
1 hour ago, jowen3400 said:

War Gaming PLZ fix this exploit.  Make it so the ship can't shoot or takes 20% damage a sec after 5 sec.  This needs to be fixed!.  Normal Aiming doesn't work the ship is moving in 2 directions and makes for unfair game play.  Either Can;t shoot or take a hug amount of damage.  OR ban the account and delete every ship they have.  Either one of those 3 will work.

Complete and utter nonsense.

I can't even see the damned border line.  It's nearly invisible to me unless I take a few seconds to stare at it.  They've made it nearly invisible, I guess so that it helps with the game immersion.  But they've "immersed" the damned border into invisibility!!!

Stop complaining about and just hit the damned border riding ship.  It is NOT that hard.  So, if you cannot hit a border riding ship, that's strictly operator error!!!

[STW-M]
Members
3,292 posts
7,750 battles

Personally, I suggest having some sort of disincentive to ride the wall, since it's oftentimes a cheap way of evading fire.

Maybe the border should act like a friendly ship, and every second that you touch the border drains your HP?

PS: try not to post the same thing multiple times

[LWC]
Members
39 posts
4,506 battles

I don't get why people have such a hard time hitting border riders... Aim a big closer to them, and get your citadel. I you're not sure if they're running into the border because you can't see it on the screen, then look at the mini map.

I've ridden the wall a time or two to dodge some damage, but that's the shooter's error. Why should I be punished because someone can't aim well?

What's next, giving TK status to players that run aground to dodge torp salvos, or banning players who use WASD hacks? (To clarify, this last bit is sarcasm)

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,642 posts
15,145 battles

It's annoying for sure, but if they hug the border for more than about 30 seconds (keep in mind how long it takes a battleship to turn around), their engines basically stop working and they're just bleeding off their remaining momentum before becoming a stationary target.

Arguably for some ship types, coming to a dead stop upon touching the wall would be even more abusable (imagine a British cruiser that would run alongside the wall and instantly stop by applying slight rudder to the side, then rudder back and get turbo acceleration).

[AHOY_]
Members
1,013 posts
13,065 battles

in real life ships didn't hit walls or lines, and could extend away from a fight,  here you are contained in a ring (like boxing) which is annoying, if you dont want them riding the wall you could always back off and let them turn around and come  back at you.    but usually you have them trapped on the wall and just try to finish them.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 hours ago, jowen3400 said:

How many times you going to post this topic? three so far

[LWC]
Members
39 posts
4,506 battles

Nice job making 3 identical threads.

If you don't like players riding the border, then learn to shoot them. I get plenty of citadels on players riding the edge.

[TDRB]
Members
2,962 posts
8,714 battles
11 minutes ago, MohenjoDaro said:

I don't get why people have such a hard time hitting border riders... Aim a big closer to them, and get your citadel. I you're not sure if they're running into the border because you can't see it on the screen, then look at the mini map.

I've ridden the wall a time or two to dodge some damage, but that's the shooter's error. Why should I be punished because someone can't aim well?

What's next, giving TK status to players that run aground to dodge torp salvos, or banning players who use WASD hacks? (To clarify, this last bit is sarcasm)

Hitting the wall is like hitting an island or sinking ship, everyone that see you sends a multi-gun greeting in hopes of sinking you. They usually do unless they are poor shots or having a bad day shooting.

I could continue the sarcastic remarks but yours does a fine jobs of making the point.