You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GhostSwordsman

What if we could invert the main battery firing sequence?

6 comments in this topic

Members
5,520 posts
6,216 battles

I had this thought while I was at work today.

If you sequence fire, or ripple fire, your main battery turrets, they always fire in an ascending numerical order. This means that (for a 4 turret ship) the guns will always fire 1, 2, 3, 4, or 3, 4, 1, 2, depending on which turrets have an angle to fire. I got to thinking, because of this, firing when maneuvering and/or kiting can really cause your turrets to get out of sync due to the sequence in which the turrets always fire. Plus, it can make it harder to quickly unmask rear/front turrets and move back into a strong defensive position.

So, what if on a per-ship basis, we could invert that firing sequence? Instead of the turrets firing in an ascending numerical order (1, 2, 3, 4), they fire in a descending numerical order (4, 3, 2, 1). Something like this could be beneficial to ships with concentrated forward firepower, like Baltimore, Des Moines, North Carolina, Scharnhorst, Alsace, Z-52, Gearing, etc. (it wouldn't necessarily prevent turrets from getting way out of sync, but that's not the intent behind the thought)

This would be most beneficial to cruisers as they could unmask their rear turret(s) while concealed, and start turning into their target before they fire, and mask the rear turret(s) just after they fire. The same could be applied to battleships like North Carolina, and I think it could possibly make firing while maneuvering easier. And also possibly open up the ability to not sit as stationary when in a bow on position. Even DDs like Gearing and Z-52 could benefit from this by not showing their sides for as long when unmasking the rear turret, and quickly being able to present a narrow profile.

Maybe it could even be a setting that's interchangeable mid-game, probably located in the gear icon menu above the mini-map where you can set which range circles display, allowing the player to adapt to the situation, pushing or kiting.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
2,111 posts
7 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

If you sequence fire, or ripple fire, your main battery turrets, they always fire in an ascending numerical order. This means that (for a 4 turret ship) the guns will always fire 1, 2, 3, 4, or 3, 4, 1, 2, depending on which turrets have an angle to fire. I got to thinking, because of this, firing when maneuvering and/or kiting can really cause your turrets to get out of sync due to the sequence in which the turrets always fire. Plus, it can make it harder to quickly unmask rear/front turrets and move back into a strong defensive position.

So, what if on a per-ship basis, we could invert that firing sequence? Instead of the turrets firing in an ascending numerical order (1, 2, 3, 4), they fire in a descending numerical order (4, 3, 2, 1). Something like this could be beneficial to ships with concentrated forward firepower, like Baltimore, Des Moines, North Carolina, Scharnhorst, Alsace, Z-52, Gearing, etc. (it wouldn't necessarily prevent turrets from getting way out of sync, but that's not the intent behind the thought)

This would be most beneficial to cruisers as they could unmask their rear turret(s) while concealed, and start turning into their target before the fire, and mask the rear turret(s) just after they fire. The same could be applied to battleships like North Carolina, and I think it could possibly make firing while maneuvering easier. And also possibly open up the ability to not sit as stationary when in a bow on position. Even DDs like Gearing and Z-52 could benefit from this by not showing their sides for as long when unmasking the rear turret, and quickly being able to present a narrow profile.

Maybe it could even be a setting that's interchangeable mid-game, probably located in the gear icon menu above the mini-map where you can set which range circles display, allowing the player to adapt to the situation, pushing or kiting.

Interesting idea, especially the part about reduced exposure when unmasking the after guns.

Members
3,783 posts
38 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

This would be most beneficial to cruisers as they could unmask their rear turret(s) while concealed, and start turning into their target before the fire, and mask the rear turret(s) just after they fire. The same could be applied to battleships like North Carolina, and I think it could possibly make firing while maneuvering easier. And also possibly open up the ability to not sit as stationary when in a bow on position. Even DDs like Gearing and Z-52 could benefit from this by not showing their sides for as long when unmasking the rear turret, and quickly being able to present a narrow profile.

I get what your saying.  About it firing opposite 4321 instead of 1234.  There are plenty of benefits to that.  But how would that work exactly?  Secondly Why not have each individual barrel be able to fire as well.  That could be good too, but yet this game isn't built like that.  The other question is, I'm a player that usually fires off all of my batteries in one salvo unless I fire two shots and then the next two shots depending on how many batteries I have.  But if it gets flipped how would effect the entire salvo going?  Hopefully I was able to word that right.

Members
5,520 posts
6,216 battles
8 minutes ago, SuperSpud1 said:

I get what your saying.  About it firing opposite 4321 instead of 1234.  There are plenty of benefits to that.  But how would that work exactly?  Secondly Why not have each individual barrel be able to fire as well.  That could be good too, but yet this game isn't built like that.  The other question is, I'm a player that usually fires off all of my batteries in one salvo unless I fire two shots and then the next two shots depending on how many batteries I have.  But if it gets flipped how would effect the entire salvo going?  Hopefully I was able to word that right.

It would work exactly as it does now, just flipped. If you're showing 4 turrets, and hold down LMB to fire, turret 4 would go off first, followed by 3, then 2, then 1. If your rear turrets are unable to fire at your aiming point, turret 2 would fire, followed by turret 1. Basically, how the turrets fire in-game right now, is bow to stern(even if the turret on the bow can't fire, the one closest to the bow fires first). I'm pondering the idea of being able to allow the turrets to fire stern to bow.

It wouldn't(and shouldn't) affect salvo firing at all, except maybe when your double click isn't quite fast enough. Have you ever noticed if you double click, but there's a very brief pause between the first and second click that one turret fires, followed by the rest all at once? The only real difference with the sequence flipped would be that turret 4 would go off first, instead of turret 1. Ultimately, there would be no change to salvo firing.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,702 posts
611 battles

Or just disable front/rear turrets. I mean, you could do this in NavyFIELD. Back in 2002...

Members
3,783 posts
3 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

It would work exactly as it does now, just flipped. If you're showing 4 turrets, and hold down LMB to fire, turret 4 would go off first, followed by 3, then 2, then 1. If your rear turrets are unable to fire at your aiming point, turret 2 would fire, followed by turret 1. Basically, how the turrets fire in-game right now, is bow to stern(even if the turret on the bow can't fire, the one closest to the bow fires first). I'm pondering the idea of being able to allow the turrets to fire stern to bow.

It wouldn't(and shouldn't) affect salvo firing at all, except maybe when your double click isn't quite fast enough. Have you ever noticed if you double click, but there's a very brief pause between the first and second click that one turret fires, followed by the rest all at once? The only real difference with the sequence flipped would be that turret 4 would go off first, instead of turret 1. Ultimately, there would be no change to salvo firing.

That makes sense