Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptainKaitoGhost

A Potato's Opinion: Duca degli Abruzzi

7 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
1,754 posts
1,149 battles

Through a friend's generosity, I was recently gifted the Abruzzi.  With d'Aosta and Cesare being my favorite ships in game, naturally I was very interested in the tier 7 spaghettibote.  I'd watched the videos, read the reviews, and was very aware of her incredibly lackluster reputation.  Still, d'Aosta also has a bad rep and I greatly enjoy playing her.  I thought "She can't be all that bad, can she?"

Yes.  Yes, she can.

First things first, though.  She's an utterly gorgeous ship.  Long, sleek, and sexy looking.  And she drives as good as she looks.  A sea-going Ferrari.

She came with 25 personal missions to increase xp.  "A perfect opportunity to push my d'Aosta skipper to 14 points and unlock IFHE," I thought.  I took her into co-op to get a feel for her, but quickly realized that was a waste of the xp boosts.  So into randoms I went.

At first, I tried playing her at range, where I could take advantage of her superior speed and agility to dictate the engagement.  Unfortunately, what she has in looks, she utterly lacks in teeth.  Her ballistics at that range are terrible, making landing hits a challenge.  And anything with armor ends up shrugging off what shells do actually hit.  Granted, I don't have IFHE yet.  I do have Demo Expert, so I was setting fires often enough.  Indeed, about half of my total damage in Abruzzi comes from fires.  Her torps, while long ranged, are so slow that they almost never hit anything, especially from 10 km out.  So, ranged play doesn't work.

I started moving up, trying to provide close support for my DDs.  After all, d'Aosta excels at it, so theoretically Abruzzi should too.  Unfortunately, the reality is that when you're that far up, once you get spotted you tend to get focused down.  Abruzzi can't repel focus fire of that magnitude.  The heal, while neat on a tier 7 CL, simply isn't enough to keep her in the fight.  I ended up using it more as a fire control system in order to save my damage control for when things really hit the fan.

The crappy HE wouldn't be such a big problem, if her AP wasn't also terrible.  For some reason, she gets worse AP than d'Aosta.  At close to mid range, d'Aosta can shred broadside cruisers with her AP.  Abruzzi struggled to do anything at mid range, or against even slightly angled targets.  I was watching Furutakas and Atlantas laugh her AP off at 10 km.

Abruzzi's weapons just utterly suck.  I couldn't buy a win in her today.  And this was with the magical tier 7 MM.  I don't think I was ever bottom tier in a random match with Abruzzi.  I'd hate to face tier 9s.

That's not to say I didnt have fun in her.  She can torpedo beat like a boss.  One match I had both a Zuiho and an Independence try to focus me down the entire latter half of the match with only a single torp hit as a result.  Another, I got the first 2 kills of the match contesting B cap, only to immediately potato myself aground and get deleted.  And at the end of it all, when my 25 boost ops were used up, I had taken my Italian CL captain up to 13 points.  She always turned a profit for me, too.  She has a lot of potential to be a great ship, she's just held back by her guns.  Unlocking IFHE should help immensely, I hope.  If I had bought her myself, I dont think I'd be regretting it now.  Maybe WG will buff her guns eventually.

While I don't enjoy her as much as I do my d'Aosta, I do see myself playing her regularly (although, maybe just in co-op for a while).  And I'll be damned if she doesn't look pretty sitting in my port.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,494 posts
7,926 battles

Great read. Thank you.:Smile_honoring:

Getting used to a Premium ship with XP boosts is what the training room is for. They don't get used up there. Something to remember for next time.

• Cool 1

[WOLFA]
Beta Testers
20 posts
4,198 battles

I am finding her AP to be just awesome, her HE is so anemic. I am getting perhaps 1 cit a game with that AP though. I think the AP is the shell of choice with her.

[TBW]
Members
7,895 posts
14,415 battles
21 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

I was very interested in the tier 7 spaghettibote.

Did you try her out in a tier 7 scenario yet? Some ships really shine in scenarios. If it does, that is a great place to gain Captains points or Credits or free XP. Just use camos and signals to enhance which ever one or ones that you want to grind.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
1,754 posts
1,149 battles
10 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Did you try her out in a tier 7 scenario yet? Some ships really shine in scenarios. If it does, that is a great place to gain Captains points or Credits or free XP. Just use camos and signals to enhance which ever one or ones that you want to grind.

I want to, but the scenarios haven't been non-Allies tier 7 when I have time to play.

• Cool 1

[UFFA]
Members
1,654 posts
72 battles

I tried Abruzzi in, I believe, Ultimate Frontier. Can't really do the frontline bit as with d'Aosta as everything is a regular pen or citadel and the bots seem to be rather more efficient than TVI scenario bots. If you try to stay in line with teammates the drag on the shells becomes telling. Something isn't quite right in Mudville when high velocity shells require you to zoom out like a USN DD at 9km-ish range to watch the shells land. If you can manage to stay in the second line it is a great ship. However you are allowed maybe one mistake. The armor as WG modeled it only enhances damage taken. Unlike other glass cannons you are required to work danger close and you don't have the cannon part of a glass cannon going for you.

I'm just waiting for the personalized captain.
jk66Q2D.jpg

It's a fun ship however once it comes back into the sales rotation I expect for WG to "discover" a bug or error and correct it for more efficient™ sales. :cap_win:

[NGAGE]
Beta Testers
455 posts
9,736 battles

it's a pretty fun ship.. I will say it is absolutely necessary to have IFHE on her otherwise your HE will just break on all targets.  I went back and forth with a T8 cleveland at range of about 13 KM, i had about 9 K health, he just kept bouncing my AP, and my HE just shattered on contact.. I don't have IFHE yet 1 point away, it really needs it.  All in all though it is a great ship to play with. I have really enjoyed it. 

Sign in to follow this