Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
C_D

7vs7 vs 12vs12 - Random Battle

7vs7 vs 12vs12 - Random Battle  

29 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. Do you think a better number for the amount of players in a Random match should be 7vs7 or 12vs12? From playing Clan Battles and the recent Ranked season I believe the 12vs12 metric does not work well. I think the 7vs7 metric makes or teaches players to work more as a team leading to more enjoyable game play. My personal observation...What say ye?

• 7vs7
    • 12vs12
    • Other --->

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/13/2018 at 07:00 PM

15 comments in this topic

[187]
Members
1,487 posts
8,369 battles

Do you think a better number for the amount of players in a Random match should be 7vs7 or 12vs12? From playing Clan Battles and the recent Ranked season I believe the 12vs12 metric does not work well. I think the 7vs7 metric makes or teaches players to work more as a team leading to more enjoyable game play. My personal observation...What say ye?

[SALVO]
Members
21,028 posts
21,109 battles
6 minutes ago, C_D said:

Do you think a better number for the amount of players in a Random match should be 7vs7 or 12vs12? From playing Clan Battles and the recent Ranked season I believe the 12vs12 metric does not work well. I think the 7vs7 metric makes or teaches players to work more as a team leading to more enjoyable game play. My personal observation...What say ye?

I wouldn't say that the Ranked 7v7 format teaches teamwork.  Why?  Because for starters, you're in Ranked.  Anyone with a clue understands that winning requires team work in Ranked.  And the goal of Ranked is winning.  The goal of Randoms is not necessarily winning.  Generally speaking, players want to play their best and be as productive as possible to maximize their credit and  XP earning.  And yes, winning does help.  But when you're playing ranked, you advance, gain a  star, by winning.  In randoms, you can have excellent credit and XP earnings even in losses when you play well.  So, unless you're going to suggest severely decreasing earnings in losses and increasing earnings in wins, I don't think that you'll see any improvement in teamwork in random battles.  Furthermore, if Ranked was 12v12, I'd like to think that team work would be better simply because it was Ranked play and not Randoms.

[POP]
Members
964 posts
11,540 battles

I think the maps are too big.

I'd go for a 7 vs 7 with smaller maps, less time maybe 10-12 minutes tops.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Smaller team sizes puts greater significance on ship differences and player skill. It's great for competitive play, but I fear the nerfs that would follow if random were 7v7. Good ships/players have that much more influence, making everyone else feel that much more powerless, until we all get beat to death with the nerf bat.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
11,937 posts
7,585 battles

OP, Ranked works the way it does because everyone is the same tier. And while that would sometimes be nice in random battles, you might have to be content with rather long queue times. Plus, as has already been said, the chance of a team attitude is higher in ranked; it's not just the smaller numbers.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

12v12. You can have one or two bad players on your team and still have a chance to win the battle. In 7v7 if you lose one ship or have one seriously damage your team is at a huge disadvantage. In my opinion it won’t help team play because 7 or 12 random players don’t functions as a team anyway. In a 12v12 you have more buffer against weak players, non-team, or freak team deaths.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,504 posts
12,810 battles
38 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Smaller team sizes puts greater significance on ship differences and player skill. It's great for competitive play, but I fear the nerfs that would follow if random were 7v7. Good ships/players have that much more influence, making everyone else feel that much more powerless, until we all get beat to death with the nerf bat.

I think that a mix of 7v7 and 12v12 is the best way to go.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,395 posts
6,335 battles

I wouldn't mind a 12v12 in coop, just saying 

Hey in fact let's switch team sizes

[KNMSU]
Members
5,821 posts
6,134 battles

I prefer 12 v 12. That way, when 1-2 people rush off and get annihilated 50 seconds in, I can still have some hope. In a 7 v 7 format, I might as well close the client at that point.

[187]
Members
1,487 posts
8,369 battles
11 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Goeben said:

I prefer 12 v 12. That way, when 1-2 people rush off and get annihilated 50 seconds in, I can still have some hope. In a 7 v 7 format, I might as well close the client at that point.

This is my point....you...or I, did, or do not see that , that much in Clan Battles...at all, or not very much soloing in Ranked...it doesn't get you far and I think people figure it out very quickly that you need to strategize some and work as a unit, which is the point isn't it? Teamwork? or maybe my clan is unique in that aspect?

Edited by C_D

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
8 minutes ago, C_D said:

This is my point....you...or I, did, or do not see that , that much in Clan Battles...at all, or not very much soloing in Ranked...it doesn't get you far and I think people figure it out very quickly that you need to strategize some and work as a unit, which is the point isn't it? Teamwork? or maybe my clan is unique in that aspect?

I think the key difference between ranked/clan battles and randoms is that in ranked/clan battles, a loss puts you further away from your goal. In random, you never end up further away from your goal.

Sign in to follow this