You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

How on earth does anyone blow a win when...

39 comments in this topic

[STW]
Members
704 posts
5,301 battles
14 hours ago, cometguy said:

Most people don't know when to disengage, and just ride out the game to victory. Sometimes it's good to be lazy.

Up on ships and points = time to yolo for damage, and then suddenly it's competitive again.  People hear pushing is good, and it is, but they haven't quite grasped that it's not the right strategy in every instance.

Edited by Deviathan

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,220 battles
17 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...the scores are 700-ish to 500-ish, with just a few minutes to go?

I'd really like to know this.

Frustration-venting over.

A 200 pt lead is not as much as most people think because of how points flip when a ship dies. It's +40 for killing a BB and -60 pts for losing a BB, so that's a 100 point flip, lose two BBs and you are even.  

The point flips are 75, 85, 100, and 110 for DD, CA/CL, BB, and CV respectively for randoms, and 100 pts across the board for other modes.  You'll notice that you always lose more points for your death than you gain by killing. This is why there is a premium on surviving and pushing into a heavily defended cap is generally a bad idea; you are likely to lose ship(s), give the other team a significant point boost on top of losing its(their) firepower and  area of control.

Ship Class Random and Co-Op Battles Ranked Battles Clan Battles
Reward for Killing Penalty for Death Reward for Killing Penalty for Death Reward for Killing Penalty for Death
WowsshipclassDestroyerDefault.png Destroyers +30 points -45 points +40 points -60 points +40 points -60 points
WowsshipclassCruiserDefault.png Cruisers +35 points -50 points +40 points -60 points +40 points -60 points
WowsshipclassBattleshipDefault.png Battleships +40 points -60 points +40 points -60 points +40 points -60 points
WowsshipclassAirCarrierDefault.png Aircraft Carriers +45 points -65 points

[ARGSY]
Members
12,998 posts
8,279 battles
3 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

You'll notice that you always lose more points for your death than you gain by killing.

Exception - ramming a ship of your own type or better. If I ram a BB in my CL in randoms and kill him, that's +40 points to me for the BB kill, -50 for the cruiser loss while to him it's +35 for the cruiser kill, -60 for the BB loss. He is worse off unless I was already so close to zero that I go below it. If I ram a ship of the same type and kill it, that's the same points gained or lost by both sides.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,220 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Exception - ramming a ship of your own type or better. If I ram a BB in my CL in randoms and kill him, that's +40 points to me for the BB kill, -50 for the cruiser loss while to him it's +35 for the cruiser kill, -60 for the BB loss. He is worse off unless I was already so close to zero that I go below it. If I ram a ship of the same type and kill it, that's the same points gained or lost by both sides.

It depends, is it really worth giving up your 50 pts for a BB that was going to die anyways if you were to kite him instead of ram? We haven't even address how a cruiser was able to get close enough to a BB to be in a position to ram in the first place since a decent BB player would have avoid engaging at such short distances and kited away while dropping shells on the cruiser.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,998 posts
8,279 battles
2 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

It depends, is it really worth giving up your 50 pts for a BB that was going to die anyways if you were to kite him instead of ram? We haven't even address how a cruiser was able to get close enough to a BB to be in a position to ram in the first place since a decent BB player would have avoid engaging at such short distances and kited away while dropping shells on the cruiser.

I've been in situations where a BB was foolish enough to get that close and I was low-health enough that running and kiting were no longer options. Putting my ship across his path or into his side was the more productive way to go. In one case he survived the ram, but he was so low that the follow-up shot from a friendly BB was an easy finisher rather than just a maybe.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,273 posts
19,664 battles
17 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

:Smile_honoring:

Of course, I've also been on teams that blow obvious win situations.  Flamu's recent Yamato Legendary Upgrade video is also a perfect example of bad teammates taking an easy win situation and turn it into defeat.

Tried to pay attention to Flamu's input regarding the WiP upgrade for Yamato, but I couldn't help but be aghast at how stupid his team was.  The enemy team was campy, struggled to take ONE cap, his team has 2 caps and was denying a 3rd.  All they needed to do was be defensive and continue to deny the caps and it would be an easy win.  But no.  Idiots had to sail piecemeal into the opposing team, Cruisers pushing into Battleships in open water, getting rekt.  He finishes with 292k Damage, 8 Kills (about 2/3 of the enemy team was killed by his Yamato), single-handedly kills multi-ship groups by himself, reduced the opposing team to just 1 ship, and it's still not enough to overcome the awful play by his team.

Even an Elite player will struggle to overcome that mass level of Potato-ness.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,220 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've been in situations where a BB was foolish enough to get that close and I was low-health enough that running and kiting were no longer options. Putting my ship across his path or into his side was the more productive way to go. In one case he survived the ram, but he was so low that the follow-up shot from a friendly BB was an easy finisher rather than just a maybe.

But there's likely 3 or 4 missteps before you ever find yourself even in that situation. How did you get so low in health, so close to a BB with no option but to ram in the first place? If there's no LOS for you to shoot each other until you closed to such short distances, then how were you not able to land any torpedo hits on him before you got to ram him? I'm not saying the scenario you prescribe can't happen, nor was it the worst play you could have made; my argument is that you probably didn't make the most optimal plays before you got into that position in the first place. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,762 posts
15,479 battles

If we're being honest, most players aren't in it to win. They're in it to shoot at stuff and feel like there's action.

Their internal flowchart therefore looks like this:

1. Is there something to shoot?
    • YES --> Shoot at it
    • NO --> Go to 2
  2. Drive forward until there's something to shoot

It should surprise no one that this leads to throws on a depressingly regular basis.

• Cool 1

[CB-77]
Members
167 posts
1,410 battles
17 hours ago, khan1670 said:

Pfft, that's nothing!

How about when you're team is almost done capping for the win and your dd decides it's suddenly a good idea to leave the cap.

The other team wins by capping moments later...

Or when its close and your DD tries to pull a little extra damage with 15 seconds remaining, revealing himself then taking a full broadside and dying causing you to lose the match.

[RST]
Members
181 posts
19,184 battles
18 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Easy...rngsus had it enough with the team and decided it is time to end. Then again it could be the higher skilled players was all taken out early. Leaving rest. I will admit I would be one of the remaining players at some point. 

Edited by Shadewe

[TDRB]
Members
2,993 posts
9,002 battles

As Yogi Berra said "it ain't over until it is over".

[ARGSY]
Members
12,998 posts
8,279 battles
47 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

If there's no LOS for you to shoot each other until you closed to such short distances, then how were you not able to land any torpedo hits on him before you got to ram him?

Missed with the first salvo, no time to load another or to turn the ship round to get the other tubes off.

On one occasion I torpedoed an enemy ship in the side, missed the ram, but was able to slide in front of him and cause him to hit me. Same result - the HP he had left after the torpedoes hit ensured his doom from the ramming.

Members
75 posts
2,637 battles

6 hours ago, Praxz said:

Or when its close and your DD tries to pull a little extra damage with 15 seconds remaining, revealing himself then taking a full broadside and dying causing you to lose the match.

Yes. And this one arrived frequently.