You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

How on earth does anyone blow a win when...

39 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
7,175 posts
4,874 battles

...the scores are 700-ish to 500-ish, with just a few minutes to go?

I'd really like to know this.

Frustration-venting over.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
1,106 posts

I've seen it. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory usually happens because the leading team got careless/complacent.

[TMS]
Members
1,838 posts
22,785 battles
2 minutes ago, TF77 said:

I've seen it. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory usually happens because the leading team got careless/complacent.

That happens often.

[OO7]
Members
3,307 posts
9,766 battles
5 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

That happens often.

especially in ranked. If we get the last 2 kills, we can WIN!!!! People don't pay attention to caps and points and positions, etc and can't do math even if they wanted to figure it out.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

bAqICw3.gif

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
17,175 battles
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's really not much of a lead. Just a couple kills can pretty much turn that around.

• Cool 3

[JUICE]
Members
822 posts
6,369 battles

I was in that match and we also had 3 of the 4 caps. I was in my Gremmy had capped the cap to the right in two brothers did a bunch of damage and sank a DD. The ships on the left side cap got that and pushed all the way around and blew it at the end.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Most people don't know when to disengage, and just ride out the game to victory. Sometimes it's good to be lazy.

• Cool 1

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,589 posts
3,603 battles

I've won a match where it was 900 points to 300, my team managed to make 3 or 4 kills in a row, retook a couple caps and sunk the last ship before the timer was up

[WORX]
Members
2,016 posts
13,515 battles

Wait for my story.. I am in domination map Estuary, Tiering up my tier 8 AMAGI up to Tier X Yamato, so long story short.  We have the DD adv and all we have to do now is cap and we secure the win... Easy right? No lol. DD Mahan was right at the edge of the cap circle on the east side of the map. Everyone stated " we cap we win on pts" in chat, its a good battle hats off to the red team type deal.  MAHAN in chat  *HOLD MY BEER* MURICA!! the guy never did cap (we would've won in pts). Goes full steam up north to the other cap (it was being defended by us)he then chases the red team to the north pole with Santa. Everyone in chat is R rated salty pirate language right about now, he had time to turn around and cap. Instad we were watching a loss, I got my popcorn ready as time ran out. Heart wrenching loss. However it builds Character 

[WOLF2]
Members
395 posts
6,472 battles

Pfft, that's nothing!

How about when you're team is almost done capping for the win and your dd decides it's suddenly a good idea to leave the cap.

The other team wins by capping moments later...

[ARGSY]
Members
7,175 posts
4,874 battles
51 minutes ago, khan1670 said:

Pfft, that's nothing!

How about when you're team is almost done capping for the win and your dd decides it's suddenly a good idea to leave the cap.

Oh for flip's sake...

All is well with me now. Pep talk from the Mrs, a bit of luck with a blind shot, a careless enemy and a team that got it right, and the job was done. Indy Marathon is 7 for 7, and tomorrow's play is relaxing fun.

Members
4,679 posts
6,848 battles
1 hour ago, khan1670 said:

Pfft, that's nothing!

You do that and I will kill you.

Alpha Tester
3,710 posts
1,392 battles

"Crap we are about to win and ive only done 30k damage i better shoot at something, fast!"

• Funny 1

Members
4,679 posts
6,848 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Common.

Members
66 posts
2,037 battles
2 hours ago, TF77 said:

Exactly. I had see that many times.

[JUICE]
Members
822 posts
6,369 battles

It is like seven day weekends without the benefits right now for me. I have seen some god awful game play in all tiers. I am guilty of that some times myself when I will stick my neck out to try and shift the focus fire from a team mate, only to sacrifice my ship for nothing.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
339 posts
3,503 battles

"don't die in the next 2 minutes and we win" Nope he is no coward and pulls a Leeroy Jenkins on triple digit health, boom, we lose. Winning games is not cowardly.  

• Cool 2

Members
1,758 posts
3,775 battles

Eh,  that score might look good but what's the condition of your remaining teammates,  and the enemies team?  Do you have a bunch of mostly dead ships and they have mostly alive teammates?   Is your unicum busy wiping out the enemy in another area and is still working his or her way down to the main body of the enemy?

Its is frustrating though,  thinking you've got the match in the bag just to watch it all fall apart.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,968 posts
13,211 battles
14 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There is "balance" and there is "rate" (the first derivative of balance).  And perhaps more subtle, map positioning and team health status.  I've been in many games down 200 points, and knew we were going to win based on our team position and the enemy's health.  Position + Health equals a significant rate delta in one's favor.

Also,  understanding cap rate and attrition rate is important.  You can be down on caps, but win on ship attrition.  And you can be down on ship attrition, but win on caps.  

[INTEL]
Members
871 posts
9,069 battles

Thats not even close to bad. Bad is a ranked match, you have all three caps and ship count is 7v3... and lose

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
939 posts

See this scenario everyday....  I haven't played yet today but last night, just like above were were 4 major ships ahead, ahead 3-1 in caps and the remaining few conducted some of the most idiotic game play, even as a potato that I am, I've ever seen !  I'm baffled?

We lost to a 3/4 destroyed carrier.......  WHAT?!?!  Like I said, this is an everyday occurrence recently; or, I've just started to really pay attention to winning cause I'd sure like my W/L above 50% and that, I'm afraid just can't happen with games like these are becoming the norm, not the exception.  Even my Clan mates aren't sure what is going on??? 

Edited by Asym_KS

[ARGSY]
Members
7,175 posts
4,874 battles
12 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Also,  understanding cap rate and attrition rate is important.  You can be down on caps, but win on ship attrition.  And you can be down on ship attrition, but win on caps.  

We appeared to be winning on both. And then we lost on both. :Smile_sad:

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,800 battles
15 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If winning was everyone's top priority and if everyone had basic deductive reasoning skills, that would happen far less frequently.  Good luck with that. :P

• Cool 1