You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

What are the odds?

37 comments in this topic

[0456]
Members
3,069 posts
8,631 battles

5 solo wins followed by 5 solo losses. To me, it means 2 things are certain: 

1) I waste waaaaaay too much [edited]time on this game...

2) I like it enough to throw my day away. 

Anyway, 50% isn't bad I suppose but those losses sure test my patience. 

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,069 posts
8,631 battles
Just now, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

:( Summer holidays are here, brace yourselves. 

Seems early... up here summer doesn't generally start for the schools until the end of june. But yes... definitely need to start playing with the mindset that everyone else is a meat shield until proven otherwise. 

Members
2,167 posts
4,892 battles
2 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

Seems early... up here summer doesn't generally start for the schools until the end of june. But yes... definitely need to start playing with the mindset that everyone else is a meat shield until proven otherwise. 

I'm seeing lots of weird stuff on maps lately. For example, on Neighbours, teams lemming to A when B and C are the clear choices. Contest B, cap C, focus on C early in the match. I can only really go C in a ship like the Atlanta or Cleveland that relies on island cover, so when the team potatoes and goes to A...... It's a hopeless fight.

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
4 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I'm seeing lots of weird stuff on maps lately. For example, on Neighbours, teams lemming to A when B and C are the clear choices. Contest B, cap C, focus on C early in the match. I can only really go C in a ship like the Atlanta or Cleveland that relies on island cover, so when the team potatoes and goes to A...... It's a hopeless fight.

Psst, does your name come from Star Wars?

Members
2,167 posts
4,892 battles
1 minute ago, Belthorian said:

Psst, does your name come from Star Wars?

Lol not at all. Zhou Ziyu is Chou Tzuyu, the Taiwanese member of the girl group TWICE. My name is a play on Zhou Yu, the Chinese naval commander of Eastern Wu during the 3 Kingdoms Period that was C-i-C during the Battle of Red Cliffs. One of the most famous Chinese naval commanders in ancient history. Zhou Yu and Zhou Ziyu are only one character apart.

周瑜 (Zhou Yu, 175-210 AD)

周子瑜 (TWICE member)

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
3 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Lol not at all. Zhou Ziyu is Chou Tzuyu, the Taiwanese member of the girl group TWICE. My name is a play on Zhou Yu, the Chinese naval commander of Eastern Wu during the 3 Kingdoms Period that was C-i-C during the Battle of Red Cliffs. One of the most famous Chinese naval commanders in ancient history. Zhou Yu and Zhou Ziyu are only one character apart.

周瑜 (Zhou Yu, 175-210 AD)

周子瑜 (TWICE member)

lol cool, I have some things to goole and read about. The only time I have ever heard the title Grand Viceroy was from Star Wars lol.

Members
2,167 posts
4,892 battles
7 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

lol cool, I have some things to goole and read about. The only time I have ever heard the title Grand Viceroy was from Star Wars lol.

Lol. Grand Viceroy in ancient China basically equaled 5-star general. Grand Viceroy was not a title Zhou Yu actually held in history (though he was de facto commander-in-chief of Wu's naval forces during the Battle of Red Cliffs), only in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. However, two later generals, Lu Xun and Zhu Ran, actually held the title. The title was rarely given, and often only during a time of need, such as when a nation was facing a major, imminent threat, and needed a military mastermind to oversee and coordinate all the operations.

General-in-Chief and Grand Marshal were similar ranks, but in the state of Wei, Grand Marshal was the highest rank in the military. Cao Ren was Grand Marshal for a while before his death after suffering a defeat at the hands of Wu. 

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
48 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Lol. Grand Viceroy in ancient China basically equaled 5-star general. Grand Viceroy was not a title Zhou Yu actually held in history (though he was de facto commander-in-chief of Wu's naval forces during the Battle of Red Cliffs), only in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. However, two later generals, Lu Xun and Zhu Ran, actually held the title. The title was rarely given, and often only during a time of need, such as when a nation was facing a major, imminent threat, and needed a military mastermind to oversee and coordinate all the operations.

General-in-Chief and Grand Marshal were similar ranks, but in the state of Wei, Grand Marshal was the highest rank in the military. Cao Ren was Grand Marshal for a while before his death after suffering a defeat at the hands of Wu. 

Are you going to play Total War Kingdoms when it comes out?

Members
2,167 posts
4,892 battles
6 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Are you going to play Total War Kingdoms when it comes out?

Yeah, most likely will. I've played Dynasty Warriors and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms turn-based strategy series, both from Tecmo Kosovo. Will you play Total War 3 Kingdoms?

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
18 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Yeah, most likely will. I've played Dynasty Warriors and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms turn-based strategy series, both from Tecmo Kosovo. Will you play Total War 3 Kingdoms?

The last Total War games I got was Shogun Total War 2 or Rome Total War 2. I am interested in checking it out. I feel like I missed out on the Romancing the Three Kingdoms, which from what I understand were some of the finest strategy games of all time.

Members
2,167 posts
4,892 battles
5 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

The last Total War games I got was Shogun Total War 2 or Rome Total War 2. I am interested in checking it out. I feel like I missed out on the Romancing the Three Kingdoms, which from what I understand were some of the finest strategy games of all time.

Yeah it's a very popular historical era for strategy games, and the novel has done a lot to make the period visible and well-known to many. After reading the novel I decided to look into the actual history, bought the Records of the Three Kingdoms and some other historical works on that era (read in Classical Chinese) to distinguish fact from fiction. The novel is basically 55% fact, 45% fiction. Some characters like Guan Yu and Zhuge Liang have totally fabricated feats. In the novel, Shu's the protagonist. In history, all three kingdoms were no better or worse than the other, but Wei (and eventually Jin) was the most powerful from the start. 

Wu was the only kingdom with a good navy because of their position south of the Yangtze River. No, their ships didn't sling HE or AP. No, they weren't armored. No, they didn't have Unicum captains. ^^ However, they sucked on land for the most part, and it was a great factor in why they never had much success attacking  Wei. Wei, on the other hand, was never able to conquer Wu (not until Jin) because of Wu's navy. So it was a balance of power, in a way.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
3 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Yeah it's a very popular historical era for strategy games, and the novel has done a lot to make the period visible and well-known to many. After reading the novel I decided to look into the actual history, bought the Records of the Three Kingdoms and some other historical works on that era (read in Classical Chinese) to distinguish fact from fiction. The novel is basically 55% fact, 45% fiction. Some characters like Guan Yu and Zhuge Liang have totally fabricated feats. In the novel, Shu's the protagonist. In history, all three kingdoms were no better or worse than the other, but Wei (and eventually Jin) was the most powerful from the start. 

Wu was the only kingdom with a good navy because of their position south of the Yangtze River. No, their ships didn't sling HE or AP. No, they weren't armored. No, they didn't have Unicum captains. ^^ However, they sucked on land for the most part, and it was a great factor in why they never had much success attacking  Wei. Wei, on the other hand, was never able to conquer Wu (not until Jin) because of Wu's navy. So it was a balance of power, in a way.

Read in classical Chinese.......wow I am so envious of you right now. I wish I could speak and read other languages.

Members
2,167 posts
4,892 battles
31 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Read in classical Chinese.......wow I am so envious of you right now. I wish I could speak and read other languages.

Haha well it's certainly difficult, that's why I also partially relied on the translations of these ancient texts in vernacular / modern Chinese. ^^ The best way to learn another language is to have a genuine interest in the culture, I don't think any amount of extrinsically motivated language learning will come close. BTW I've made a small improvement, my overall win rate has now hit 'Good', which is 52%. Solo win rate's still lagging behind by exactly 0.09%, but will be up there soon.

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
On 6/11/2018 at 10:16 PM, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Haha well it's certainly difficult, that's why I also partially relied on the translations of these ancient texts in vernacular / modern Chinese. ^^ The best way to learn another language is to have a genuine interest in the culture, I don't think any amount of extrinsically motivated language learning will come close. BTW I've made a small improvement, my overall win rate has now hit 'Good', which is 52%. Solo win rate's still lagging behind by exactly 0.09%, but will be up there soon.

I am German/Irish so when I am not drinking or planning to take over the world I would love to learn German or Gaelic. Chinese would be fun to learn, as America continues to decline and China continues to rise. China will be the dominant power on the planet sooner rather than later. 

Members
2 posts
322 battles
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:58 PM, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

周瑜 (Zhou Yu, 175-210 AD)

周子瑜 (TWICE member)

I had  to look it up who is Chou Tzuyu. Is this right --->

Sorry if this is off topic.

Members
2,167 posts
4,892 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

I am German/Irish so when I am not drinking or planning to take over the world I would love to learn German or Gaelic. Chinese would be fun to learn, as America continues to decline and China continues to rise. China will be the dominant power on the planet sooner rather than later. 

They would be interesting languages to learn. I've learned a few German words from the game.  Chinese is a lot more difficult and takes a lot more time. You're right that China is the next major power, perhaps even superpower. China's economy will become the largest in the world by around 2025. However, a lot of what China's doing (its drive to become a, if not THE global power) worries me, because the excessive focus on economic development is already seeing mounting social and psychological costs for the people. I don't want my friends to suffer. I don't want Chinese society to end up like Japan and Korea. Levels of materialism in China are growing, and not surprisingly, the larger cities are at the tip of the spear.

[RST]
Members
1,904 posts
11,986 battles

When I play it's always a big win streak followed by a long losing streak. I rarely get several days of just mixed results.

I'll do 80% wins ( 10 + battles) one day followed by 80% losses the next day.  If you are aware of the law of averages you will understand that for this to be consistent month after month is virtually impossible without some type of algorithm or interference in place.

I can now predict a losing streak after having a really good day like clockwork. Think whatever you want but something is going on.  

[0456]
Members
3,069 posts
8,631 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

When I play it's always a big win streak followed by a long losing streak. I rarely get several days of just mixed results.

I'll do 80% wins ( 10 + battles) one day followed by 80% losses the next day.  If you are aware of the law of averages you will understand that for this to be consistent month after month is virtually impossible without some type of algorithm or interference in place.

I can now predict a losing streak after having a really good day like clockwork. Think whatever you want but something is going on.  

My tinfoil hat is about the same size. Everyone says "blah blah the patent myth has been debunked blah blah" but wow that whole correlation / causation theory only goes so far in my opinion anyway.