Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
axyarthur

US BBs

14 comments in this topic

[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Beta Testers
305 posts
11,064 battles

Okay, this is an idea regarding US BBs to give them more unique identity. This is not about buffing them, as I think they are well balanced, though a bit bland, compared to the newer lines like the UK or France.

US Heavy Cruiser 8'' AP shells get increased auto-bounce angles to make them more effective against angled targets. Why not extend this identity to high tier (T8-10) US BB AP shells?

So in doing that, the "superheavy" 16'' AP shells will be even more potent. Now since doing that outright would make them a bit too strong, there needs to be a corresponding nerf. I am thinking reversing the lowering of the citadel that was done way back. Do you think this rebalance would be suitable?

After this change, US BBs would be more dangerous to fight against since you need to be extra careful in giving them any sort of broadside with the increased autobounce angles. This will make them even deadlier against cruisers as well. The raised citadels counter balances this and would require careful angling to stay safe.

If we don't go with the raising citadel balance, what other changes could we make to maintain ballance? lower alpha damage? ship handling? stealth?

Let me know what you guys think of the change 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
563 posts
12,703 battles

that's actually a pretty interesting idea.   I'm no expert on the shells, but it does sound nice.  I agree most of the USN line is fairly vanilla and one reason I'm excited about the USS Massachusetts coming.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,962 posts
19,413 battles
1 minute ago, axyarthur said:

Okay, this is an idea regarding US BBs to give them more unique identity. This is not about buffing them, as I think they are well balanced, though a bit bland, compared to the newer lines like the UK or France.

US Heavy Cruiser 8'' AP shells get increased auto-bounce angles to make them more effective against angled targets. Why not extend this identity to high tier (T8-10) US BB AP shells?

So in doing that, the "superheavy" 16'' AP shells will be even more potent. Now since doing that outright would make them a bit too strong, there needs to be a corresponding nerf. I am thinking reversing the lowering of the citadel that was done way back. Do you think this rebalance would be suitable?

After this change, US BBs would be more dangerous to fight against since you need to be extra careful in giving them any sort of broadside with the increased autobounce angles. This will make them even deadlier against cruisers as well. The raised citadels counter balances this and would require careful angling to stay safe.

If we don't go with the raising citadel balance, what other changes could we make to maintain ballance? lower alpha damage? ship handling? stealth?

High Tier USN BBs need no more help.

The 16"/45 guns of Tier VIII are very solid guns already.  The 16"/50 guns of Tier IX-X are among the best guns in the game, period.  The only BB Guns I hold in higher regard than USN 16"/50 are IJN 460mm, and they only have 9 rifles and horrible turret traverse.  Nothing else is close in overall performance.  USN BB guns these tiers don't need buffs.

USN BBs at High Tier are in a very good spot right now.

[HINON]
Members
11,040 posts

Why would they need better shells? Monty is already the preferred cw bb for good reason. 

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,142 posts
5,955 battles

i would say to give them better damage control party,since that is one of the best traits of US navy,they train the crew hard.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,043 posts
9,373 battles

i dont think they need help, they're already pretty accurate, have good damage, i see no need for a change to them

[AGBSL]
Members
63 posts
7,363 battles

The main guns are fine. The 5"/38's need their proper ROF and shells though. Leaving them short range shouldn't affect balance really.

• Cool 2

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
563 posts
12,703 battles
5 minutes ago, AkXb70 said:

The main guns are fine. The 5"/38's need their proper ROF and shells though. Leaving them short range shouldn't affect balance really.

Actually, you are right...this is the preferred solution for the entire line that uses the 5/38's.  To me they are under-specced versus the rate of fire they had in real life. (cue the German Captain's screaming "but that's OUR thing") Of course this isn't real life, but the secondaries are indeed the biggest downfall of the USN in game.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,142 posts
5,955 battles
7 minutes ago, AkXb70 said:

the secondarie guns?massachusetts will get those with the rof right?

[RIPCV]
Members
143 posts
807 battles

Raised citadels in favor of improved autobounce angles sounds really nice, but holy God. In the hands of people who can work around the citadel nerf? Scary as hell to imagine.

I think they're in a great spot right now. Good all-rounders in the high tiers. No defined weaknesses, and no outstanding strength unless you count practical AA.

[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Beta Testers
305 posts
11,064 battles

As I mentioned in original post, this is not about buffing US BBs, I recognize they are well balanced right now. This is about trying to make them more interesting. I think giving them better autobounce angles would be a viable way to do it. The question is what should we take away as to not make them overpowered. I suggested raising their citadels back to where they were so they are more vulnerable. Other options could include handling, shell damage, stealth, etc.

[AGBSL]
Members
63 posts
7,363 battles

Tall citadels are a terrible tradeoff and make maneuvering and closing distance very dangerous. Taking away maneuvering options would make US BB's less interesting, not more interesting. 

[SALVO]
Members
21,361 posts
21,609 battles
2 hours ago, axyarthur said:

I do NOT want to see BB citadels raised.  I think that true BBs should be tough as nails.

As for USN BBs, particularly higher tier ones, my suggestion would be as follows.  Assume that all WW2 era BBs have radar guided fire control, thus increasing gun accuracy.  (Heck, I think that this should be true for cruisers too.)  I think that strong AA is far too situational to be used as a national flavor.  I think that USN BBs should be made special due to the accuracy of their guns.  This doesn't mean that they have to have laser-perfect accuracy.  Just a little better than everyone else.

As for cruisers, yes, all cruisers are already more accurate than BBs.  That goes without saying.  But I think that if radar guided guns were the national flavor for the USN, there's no reason it couldn't be added to their cruisers as well.  Mind you, the value of excellent accuracy is somewhat limited and offset by those floaty high tier cruiser shell arcs.  But at the same time, I guess that allowing them to have a good tight dispersion when the player is able to aim those floaty shells well, would be a nice reward.   And after all, since these high tier USN cruisers don't have torpedoes, shouldn't they get a little extra loving for their guns as compensation?

Sign in to follow this