You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Can a perfect broadside be TOO perfect?

8 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,831 posts
15,380 battles

In my Alabama the other night, I experienced one of the most perfect broadside shots I've had in a long time.  A Buffalo rounding the corner at point blank range, no violent maneuvering.  I had all six guns loaded.  It was a pure...can't miss...shot.  All six hit right at the cit line...and all six...over penetrated!!!  WTH?  

So, I did some math.  The fuze distance on the Alabama AP round at muzzle velocity is about 23 meters.  The Buffalo beam is 20 meters.  I over-penned his citadel!!!   A little bit further away...or a little bit of angle...and the outcome would have been different.  My perfect shot...well...it wasn't.

[YAN]
Members
1,683 posts
8,051 battles

Yup, it can happen often at lower tiers as well. Thanks mostly to the short ranges involved preventing shell drag decreasing shell spped.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,637 posts
15,132 battles

This is a very common problem among battleships, particularly those with high-velocity guns. Not so common with USN SHS because of the relatively low velocities, but Roma and Alsace are overpen factories all day every day. The best broadsides with those ships are actually shallow angles, for the exact reason you pointed out.

That said, you can sometimes get the desired result by shooting even lower, directly into the water. The shells fuse upon hitting the water, retain enough velocity to penetrate the citadel belt below the waterline, and use the extra underwater travel distance to get the timing right for a citadel detonation.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,270 posts
9,891 battles
44 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

In my Alabama the other night, I experienced one of the most perfect broadside shots I've had in a long time.  A Buffalo rounding the corner at point blank range, no violent maneuvering.  I had all six guns loaded.  It was a pure...can't miss...shot.  All six hit right at the cit line...and all six...over penetrated!!!  WTH?  

So, I did some math.  The fuze distance on the Alabama AP round at muzzle velocity is about 23 meters.  The Buffalo beam is 20 meters.  I over-penned his citadel!!!   A little bit further away...or a little bit of angle...and the outcome would have been different.  My perfect shot...well...it wasn't.

Yep - why I tend to load HE when I see Leander's especially at close range, the lack of armour combined with the shell characteristics and pen had me over pen one at 8km with my Tirpitz, who then sank me with his torps as I was left scratchig my head till I found out that even the citadel could be over penned. Same thing saved several Atlanta's as well, even at range at times seems like everywhere I hit on one overpens. Why I started throwing HE at them and getting detonations off them. 

[RUST]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,203 battles

If they are too close and their armor is too thin, aim just below the waterline to fuze and slow the shell down enough to covert the would-be overpens into citadel pens. 

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
2,831 posts
4,701 battles
9 minutes ago, NCC81701 said:

If they are too close and their armor is too thin, aim just below the waterline to fuze and slow the shell down enough to covert the would-be overpens into citadel pens.

This right here. Hitting the water before entering the ship is the best choice one can make in that situation.

Which is why I think that AP shells should be able to cause flooding, so long as the right conditions are present: Shell enters ship below water line, or shell exists ship below water line.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,876 posts
5,427 battles

I actually survived an encounter with a des Moines like this in my Baltimore.  I ran into an island, he came around me dead to rights on my broadside.