You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Kitakaze and Harugumo Previews - IJN Gunboats Galore!

22 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,490 posts
4,931 battles

The Super Akizukis are coming!

• Cool 6

Members
176 posts
9,687 battles

Will these be out in 7.6? I thought Jingles said that in his 7.6 video. 

If so, I have about 105K XP on the tier 8, so I'm ready. 

[LEGIT]
Members
471 posts
6,773 battles

Oh im so ready for Harugumo. Already got 500k+ exp on Akizuki and another 340k fxp sitting collecting dust....

Edited by KAGA_kaini

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,009 posts
10,692 battles
22 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

So Kitakaze was actually a member of the planned Super Akizuki class, but Harugumo's fictional?

I believe so, but Kitakaze if she's really 'Super Akizuki' should be faster than her apparent 33kt speed.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
1,378 posts
15,368 battles

OK, so T9 is essentially differed from Akizuki only by the 12km torps?  Guns the same, concealment the same, maybe a touch better AA?

T10 you get an extra turrent but loose .2km of concealment.  Hmmmmm.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,206 posts
3,964 battles
2 hours ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Yeah we need conformation from the devs on whether the Tier 9 is actually the historical Super Akizuki and not a made up pile of dung.

It was cancelled June 9th 1944.

As for Harugumo, the name was chosen for a future ship of the Akizuki class. Though it was cancelled December 14th 1944.

It should also be noted, that with Project V7 there was also talks of adding a 5th gun turret, but it was cancelled before anything was finalized.

As for these two ships... Super-Akizuki, is Harugumo only, though it is 1 knot slower than the planned speed for the Super-Akizuki line. Kitakaze, is not a Super-Akizuki, even with the 6-tube turret, because the point of the Super-Akizuki project, was to build faster ships based on the Akizuki design.

Let's also not forget, that due to their tiers, IFHE is now 100% mandatory if you want to deal any sort of damage to BBs. Akizuki is able to get away with not taking IFHE due to her seeing all the way down to tier 6, where BB armor on the Superstructure is weak enough.

Kitakaze is only able to see down to tier 7, the only BBs in which she is able to damage the Superstructure without IFHE is tier 7.

And Tier 10, 100% unable to damage BBs in the MM range without it.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,832 posts
4,814 battles

I'm disappointed about the Kitakaze's speed. The whole point of designing the 'super Akizuki' was to increase the speed. 

I'd like to see Kitakaze's speed increased to 35 knots, and Harugumo increased to 37 knots.

• Cool 5

Members
2,134 posts
4,850 battles
3 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

It was cancelled June 9th 1944.

As for Harugumo, the name was chosen for a future ship of the Akizuki class. Though it was cancelled December 14th 1944.

It should also be noted, that with Project V7 there was also talks of adding a 5th gun turret, but it was cancelled before anything was finalized.

As for these two ships... Super-Akizuki, is Harugumo only, though it is 1 knot slower than the planned speed for the Super-Akizuki line. Kitakaze, is not a Super-Akizuki, even with the 6-tube turret, because the point of the Super-Akizuki project, was to build faster ships based on the Akizuki design.

Let's also not forget, that due to their tiers, IFHE is now 100% mandatory if you want to deal any sort of damage to BBs. Akizuki is able to get away with not taking IFHE due to her seeing all the way down to tier 6, where BB armor on the Superstructure is weak enough.

Kitakaze is only able to see down to tier 7, the only BBs in which she is able to damage the Superstructure without IFHE is tier 7.

And Tier 10, 100% unable to damage BBs in the MM range without it.

It's not just these ships that will have trouble penning high tier battleships without IFHE, even my Atlanta with IFHE pens Tier 8 battleships for lower damage rolls than Tier 6/7.

Members
554 posts
3,784 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

I'm disappointed about the Kitakaze's speed. The whole point of designing the 'super Akizuki' was to increase the speed. 

I'd like to see Kitakaze's speed increased to 35 knots, and Harugumo increased to 37 knots.

Slow speed and horrid turning rate equals a very sluggish DD in a tier where dodging things of all sorts is vital to existence.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,183 battles
6 hours ago, mofton said:

I believe so, but Kitakaze if she's really 'Super Akizuki' should be faster than her apparent 33kt speed.

That's what I thought as well about the speed? It must have gotten nerfed already LOL from what was initially teased a month and a half or so ago.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,183 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Here here +1!

[2347]
Members
184 posts
5,414 battles

I'd like to see Def AA slotted as an option to Torp Reload Boost, I think that would make for some interesting choices. As it stands now the consumables are static and allows for no flexibility whatsoever - it is what it is.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,206 posts
3,964 battles
1 hour ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

It's not just these ships that will have trouble penning high tier battleships without IFHE, even my Atlanta with IFHE pens Tier 8 battleships for lower damage rolls than Tier 6/7.

127mm v 100mm:

HE 127mm is able to damage superstructure of BBs tiers 8-10 without need of IFHE. HE 100mms requires IFHE to perform such damage. IFHE is also needed so that the 100mms can damage destroyers from any angle. 127mms can already damage destroyers from any angle.

The only reason 127mms would take IFHE would be to give them the option to hit the bow/stern of cruisers tiers 8-10.

Most ships that have 127mms also have other things going for it, making IFHE a rather expensive buy, for very little gain.

This is what AP rounds are for though, but HE has the added benefit of starting fires <---yet another reason 127mm should avoid grabbing IFHE...

Members
2,134 posts
4,850 battles
Just now, Counter_Gambit said:

127mm v 100mm:

HE 127mm is able to damage superstructure of BBs tiers 8-10 without need of IFHE. HE 100mms requires IFHE to perform such damage. IFHE is also needed so that the 100mms can damage destroyers from any angle. 127mms can already damage destroyers from any angle.

The only reason 127mms would take IFHE would be to give them the option to hit the bow/stern of cruisers tiers 8-10.

Most ships that have 127mms also have other things going for it, making IFHE a rather expensive buy, for very little gain.

This is what AP rounds are for though, but HE has the added benefit of starting fires <---yet another reason 127mm should avoid grabbing IFHE...

I would say IFHE on 127mm guns has still helped me immensely when it comes to dealing with enemy cruisers. Good salvos take off fairly decent chunks at a time, along with the fire chance.

Members
4,921 posts
5,708 battles
On 6/11/2018 at 3:52 PM, Super_Dreadnought said:

I honestly think it would be better if Kitakaze has the planed 36.7kts and Harugumo was kept at her current speed of 35.7kts.

To me, it makes sense that Harugumo wouldn't be as fast as Kitakaze(which should be Super-Akizuki/Akizuki Kai. If anyone recalls the images from the CC summit, Kitakaze was listed as Project V6. V6 was the Super-Shimakaze project, which was canceled and developed into Project V7, the Super-Akizuki project. Regardless of the technicalities, both projects called for faster speeds than Akizuki's, and apparently Kitakaze's, 33kts.) because Harugumo has that 5th turret. Along with the sextuple torpedo launcher and the extra length, that's a lot of extra weight and I wouldn't expect even the upgraded powerplant for the Super-Akizuki's to get it over 35.5/36kts.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,848 posts
7,061 battles

I'm currently not very impressed with Kitakaze & a bit iffy about the Harugumo. For one whole tier up from T8 to 9 you gain 2* extra torpedo tubes, 12km torps, better AA, access to the T9 mod, & a whopping 300 extra HP. To me it doesn't feel "super" compared to her predecessor, just slightly improved to match with her tier. Akizuki can pretty much do similar things & even fight them 1v1 with no problems 1 tier lower. Akizuki also sports 112 seconds on her torp reload vs 157 seconds on the Kitakaze. She is still slow as molasses in the DD department, the exact same stats as Akizuki.

Harugumo feels a more super than Kitakaze but at a caveat... 6.2km max concealment. This is straight up horrible in a cap fight. You will have a 0.3km difference between 5.9km DDs & an abyss of 0.6km difference between 5.6km DDs. To give you an idea how big of a difference this can make I will point to my Harekaze with its 5.4km concealment. I can already park on a cap, hold fire & spot DDs while my team rains down on them. This small window is huge & it will only grow when the Gearing T10 stealth module hits live servers, bringing it down to 5.6km. She does finally get some speed though, but nothing special.

Granted this is just me speculating from stats... but I'm not sure if I want to continue past the Akizuki. I'm more excited about Gearing getting Fletcher torps & Zao turning into a pseudo-DD right now.

Edited by GoldPile

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,945 posts
9,839 battles

To everyone lamenting “needing” IFHE: Learn what the “2” key is and when to use it. 

Use HE to start a fire and then pepper their superstructure with AP while it burns. 

You’re welcome. 

Members
4,921 posts
5,708 battles
21 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

I'm currently not very impressed with Kitakaze & a bit iffy about the Harugumo. For one whole tier up from T8 to 9 you gain 1 extra torpedo tube, 12km torps, better AA, access to the T9 mod, & a whopping 300 extra HP. To me it doesn't feel "super" compared to her predecessor, just slightly improved to match with her tier. Akizuki can pretty much do similar things & even fight them 1v1 with no problems 1 tier lower. Akizuki also sports 112 seconds on her torp reload vs 157 seconds on the Kitakaze. She is still slow as molasses in the DD department, the exact same stats as Akizuki.

Harugumo feels a more super than Kitakaze but at a caveat... 6.2km max concealment. This is straight up horrible in a cap fight. You will have a 0.3km difference between 5.9km DDs & an abyss of 0.6km difference between 5.6km DDs. To give you an idea how big of a difference this can make I will point to my Harekaze with its 5.4km concealment. I can already park on a cap, hold fire & spot DDs while my team rains down on them. This small window is huge & it will only grow when the Gearing T10 stealth module hits live servers, bringing it down to 5.6km. She does finally get some speed though, but nothing special.

Granted this is just me speculating from stats... but I'm not sure if I want to continue past the Akizuki. I'm more excited about Gearing getting Fletcher torps & Zao turning into a pseudo-DD right now.

I don't know, Kitakaze is stacking up to be a pretty nasty cap brawler.

Equip the F3's, and all the appropriate mods and captain skills for main battery fire rate, and she'll be a force to be reckoned with. Well, almost. Akizuki is already a bit of a lame duck(lel) in the speed department due to the 33kt top speed, so being in close isn't always the best for Akizuki since the maneuverability is lacking. As of right now, Kitakaze will likely fall into that same category.

I really hope WG gives her the upgraded powerplant before it gets to live, and lets Kitakaze go her planned speed of 36.7kts.