You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Augustus_Sohn

Purpose

11 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
37 battles

I'm really new here and trying to find my way around as far as the game is concerned. I have played other WG titles like,Tanks Blitz and PC tanks, with tens of thousands of games there, so I get the grind.

I am really struggling with the cerebral aspect of this game. I'm a "punch the other guy in the face hardest to win" kind of guy, but thanks to my experience in Tanks, I know how to read a mini map, and I understand the mechanics. 

As well, I struggle with a purpose on the ...uh..."battlefield"(?). In Tanks, I know where to go, and how my particular tank/tank type fits in. I cannot figure anything out besides "Go this way and shoot the orange ships". Is there map meta here? Are there typical routes or places each type of ship should go? 

I have tons of time to read, so please, post as many links as possible for me to read.

Thanks, Folks!

Peace!

Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

Well I would first go to WoWs Wiki http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

Then I would do a search on YouTube for World of Warships, there is a ton of info there. Some of my favorites are @NoZoupForYou, @Lord_Zath, @UrPeaceKeeper

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 2

Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
1 hour ago, DorkBeard_The_Flatulent said:

I'm really new here and trying to find my way around as far as the game is concerned. I have played other WG titles like,Tanks Blitz and PC tanks, with tens of thousands of games there, so I get the grind.

PS - Be sure to Read @LittleWhiteMouse reviews of Premium Ships before you buy.

And Welcome aboard Shipmate:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
382 posts

1. Shipcomrade web site

2. Twitch streams and past stream videos

3. You tube for ship reviews before wasting money or time on lines that won't fit your play style

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,092 posts
12,044 battles

It takes time to figure out positioning, one of the hardest things to learn about this game. Stick with it.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
163 posts
5,279 battles

Notser and iChase are two more Youtubers that are worth looking into for good info. I also wrote this guide some time ago about end-tree ship play if you want to get an idea where you want to grind towards based on your play preferences. https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/153974-know-your-ship-role/

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
25,964 posts
11,445 battles

World of warships fitting tool website may help plan ahead in speccing out your ships in the future or a platform for suggesting ship setup for others. 

https://wowsft.com

Also, welcome to the community! /^.\\ /

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,807 posts
15,889 battles

Yeah feel free to send me replays!  That said, I'm about to go out of the country so won't be able to look at any replays until the next patch cycle hits!

[CUTIE]
Members
1,434 posts
6,146 battles

As others have said, taking some time to watch rather than read might be more beneficial for you.  There are scores of excellent Warships Twitch streamers and YouTube creators to choose from.  In addition to the excellent recommendations you've already received in this thread I'd add Mejash to the list--he's a very good player and is great about interacting with his Twitch chat and explaining concepts when asked.

Warships moves at a much slower pace than Tanks, and as you're discovering there are plenty of nuances to the play.  In the low tier battles where every player starts, there isn't a whole lot to the tactics beyond "go fast and fire everything", but as you move down the tech trees there is quite a bit of strategy involved.  Some ships are quite adept at camping bush, in the form of islands.  Others are most useful relying on stealth to get into position for a devastating torpedo strike.  Still others are just fine with angling in the open and tanking damage...for a while, anyway. 

Unlike Tanks, every ship is capable of wrecking every other within their matchmaking spread, so situational awareness becomes huge as you progress to higher tiers.  Giving your broadside to a battleship, even for a matter of seconds, can result in your cruiser being deleted with a single salvo...even if that battleship is well beyond your own guns' range.  Pushing too far forward of your team in a battleship will get you sent back to port in a hurry, whether via crippling AP salvos from other BBs, a rain of HE shells and the resulting fires from cruisers and destroyers, or an unavoidable wall of skill in the form of torpedoes.  Simply being spotted without a clear exit strategy can get your destroyer focused into oblivion in mere moments...ditto for being in a carrier, except that there often is no exit strategy in a CV.

There are discernible traffic patterns on each map and game mode which will become recognizable over time.  Movement during an Epicenter battle is the most predictable, then Domination.  Standard battles offer more variables but will still typically fall into a predictable pattern of movement.  A general tip to keep in mind is that ships tend to move in groups, so if you spot one or two enemy battleships moving toward you it's a good bet there are some cruisers and/or destroyers a few kilometers ahead of them.

Different ship types do tend to play toward a specific meta, although you won't really see it consistently until you progress to tier 4 and beyond.  Destroyers will typically fall into the role of capturing points and scouting out the enemy early (with a focus on eliminating enemy destroyers), then move toward taking down the battleships via torpedoes and/or HE fires as the battle progresses.  Cruisers should try to follow the DDs closely enough to provide effective supporting fire against enemy destroyers and to keep opposing cruisers at a distance, then transition into HE spamming against larger ships in the mid- to late-game.  Battleships will usually linger behind the front lines to protect themselves against torpedo attacks early and focus their fire on exposed cruisers or broadsiding battleships, then push forward as enemy DDs are screened out in order to make better use of their huge health pools and heals.  Most carrier players will park their ship near spawn and work on wrestling control of the air away from the enemy CV(s) in the early game while simultaneously trying to spot the enemy fleet (especially destroyers), then use their strike aircraft to whittle down exposed enemy ships as the game progresses.  Note that there is a huge skill gap between the best carrier players and the rest, more so than any other class of ship, and that CV players of different skill levels will approach battles far differently and with far different results.

As a beginning player, don't be bashful about sticking to Co-op (PvE) play for a while as you work out the basics of the game, then gradually easing into Random battles (PvP) as you become more comfortable with your ships.  The potential rewards in terms of XP and credit earning are far higher in PvP battles than when playing against bots, but the play is also considerably more difficult.  As you max out your account level to 15 (it won't take long), you can also look into joining up with a clan and/or playing in divisions with more experienced players, both of which can accelerate your learning curve.

Welcome to Warships and the forum! :Smile_honoring:

1,542 posts
26 battles

Welcome to the game and the forum @DorkBeard_The_Flatulent! As others have said, Youtubers and other users can be really useful and definitely check out the Wiki pages for some light reading. If you ever need any help or advice just give us a shout, we're more than happy to help!

Also, this totally put this in my head...

[1JN]
Members
2 posts
5,094 battles
On 6/11/2018 at 8:21 AM, DorkBeard_The_Flatulent said:

I am really struggling with the cerebral aspect of this game. I'm a "punch the other guy in the face hardest to win" kind of guy, but thanks to my experience in Tanks, I know how to read a mini map, and I understand the mechanics. 

As well, I struggle with a purpose on the ...uh..."battlefield"(?). In Tanks, I know where to go, and how my particular tank/tank type fits in. I cannot figure anything out besides "Go this way and shoot the orange ships". Is there map meta here? Are there typical routes or places each type of ship should go? 

I have tons of time to read, so please, post as many links as possible for me to read.

Thanks, Folks!

Peace!

yes...

youtube..

its almost the exact same game as Tanks but with fewer rocks and two big timing issues; both for predictability in enemy headway for successful salvo, OR timing issues for stopping and reversing your vehicle.....

communicate with each other and learn east 090 from west 270..sssa - bewt- it