You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronStumpjumper

Quick Guide to Killer Whale

58 comments in this topic

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,174 battles

Hate to post this up, but it is getting irritating when people start asking what they are supposed to do halfway through the missions.  It gets even more annoying when they start complaining on how hard the mission is to win the operation much less getting 5 stars.  So posting this in the hopes that some of them will actually read this before jumping into their next attempt.  At least I hope some do as it can be hard fighting and typing out instructions at the same time.

First Phase-

You start outside the port with a north pass, a central pass, and a southern pass.  All 3 are guarded by 2 forts.  For beginners, you can ignore the north pass (till later) and focus on the 2 southern passes for now as they defend your objective for this wave.  Central pass is safer, the southern one is a little more dangerous to beginners or lightly armored ships but whatever one you go in, the forts must come down.

Going central-  there is a fort on both sides of the pass.  Once the forts are destroyed, there is a cruiser that will activate when you get close to the entrance.  Of course, it must be destroyed.  Further on in, there are 3 more forts to destroy.  One to the east of the pass, one to the south on the small island, and 1 midpoint between the two but further away.  All 3 have the range to hit you once you enter the pass so they must come down quickly.

Going south pass-  A little more difficult, but doable for those quick on their rudders or the armor to shrug off attacks.  2 forts north and south of the pass.  Once those are destroyed, you should be able to hit the fort on the small island that is between both passes.  Once you enter the pass, you'll have a dd and bb in range to attack you.  To make it more interesting, there is a cruiser that will move into range to fire as well.  How you deal with it is your choice based on what ship you're in. 

While you're dealing with the decisions made on central or south pass, the wave continues quite predictably.  There is a docked cv on the south shore of the bay that will launch 2 waves of fighters and 4 waves of torp bombers staggering 1 fighter wave and 2 torp bombers per cycle (standard load out.)  Just to the west of that, there is a bb docked as well.  They will not move.  The bb's fire is pretty accurate though and he has the range to cover most of the bay, so don't take him lightly.  These 2 ships are considered priority targets along with the bb, cruiser, and dd on the west side of the bay.  If you look around, there are also land based targets.  They don't count for much other then ribbons, but they are needed for 5 star completion.  Also, there are 6 transports that will try to escape once you enter the bay.  As they head pretty much right for you, they're easy pickings.

2nd Phase-

Hopefully you sank the warships in the bay quickly because the game doesn't slow down if you took your time.  When you sink the last warship in the bay, your exit point will pop up.  It will be either to the north (where 2 forts are still alive) or to the southwest just outside the base.  This is where you actually have to coordinate.  This phase will have multiple waves as well as other priority ships that must be destroyed.  You can tell the mission target ships apart as they'll be marked with a small circle on top of their silhouettes and they'll be in the first 2 waves.   A cruiser and a bb ( 2 minutes between appearances) will appear to the north and a cruiser and dd will appear to the west (same time) that are priority targets.   In order to reach 5 stars, they must be sunk.  There will be other dd's and cruisers that appear per wave but they're not as important to kill other then to keep them from killing you.  There will also be 2 CV's that will sail into the area as well a couple of minutes apart.  First CV will appear roughly at the same time as the cruiser and dd make their run at the port and launches 1 fighter-2 torps per wave and the second (3rd wave) is a fighter-bomber-2 torps.  Both CV's must be destroyed as well.  They approach from the northwest corner of the map, continue to the center of the map where they anchor if they're still alive. 

Depending on how it goes, you have 4 main priorities for this phase.  The CV's must be sunk, the priority warships must be sunk, you must have enough allied ships at the exit point, and the enemy must not be allowed to enter port.  Depending on where your exit is, you have to plan accordingly.  If the exit is to the north, the best strategy I've seen is to have 3 fast ships go out to take out the CV's and priority warships.  Everyone else heads north to take out the BB and cruiser.  If the exit is to the southwest, send 2-3 ships north to take out the cruiser and bb as well as defend themselves against future waves while everyone else cuts west to take out the CV and priority warships then head for the exit.  To get the 5 star (if the other conditions are met,) at least 1/2 the team must be in the exit point before time runs out.  But you have to pay attention.....  If the team gets in the exit point too early without finishing up on the other priorities, you lose stars.  If you complete the other priorities, but don't get enough in the exit, you lose.  So it pays to pay attention....  One thing to remember, you only have to have one ship surviving at the exit point in order to get the 5 stars. 

Edited by IronStumpjumper
changed direction
  • Cool 8

[INTEL]
Members
1,895 posts
11,398 battles

Another point about 50% to making it to the exit point.  If there are one or two that are not going to make it before time expires, they need to die if they represent more than 50% of the remaining force.  Example: If there are three remaining ships and two are so far out that they cannot make it to the exit, they need to YOLO rush the enemy and get killed.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,603 posts
16,675 battles

@IronStumpjumper That covers it quite well. Took me about 3 tries before I got it. I realized then that no ally CV was a draw back. So I got the US tier 6 CV and now beat this almost every time. Poor result or losses now are due to team mates who haven't got the hang of it yet. I suppose they could have been a bit more random with exit point locations and numbers as well as reinforcement entries locations and timing.

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,174 battles
22 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Another point about 50% to making it to the exit point.  If there are one or two that are not going to make it before time expires, they need to die if they represent more than 50% of the remaining force.  Example: If there are three remaining ships and two are so far out that they cannot make it to the exit, they need to YOLO rush the enemy and get killed.

I was going to mention this, but I was afraid some people wouldn't understand the reasoning.

21 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@IronStumpjumper That covers it quite well. Took me about 3 tries before I got it. I realized then that no ally CV was a draw back. So I got the US tier 6 CV and now beat this almost every time. Poor result or losses now are due to team mates who haven't got the hang of it yet. I suppose they could have been a bit more random with exit point locations and numbers as well as reinforcement entries locations and timing.

Thinking about doing another "from the Independence point of view" article about playing this as a tier 6 US CV and still may do so.  I consider playing Killer Whale to be one of the more relaxing operations you could play as a cv.  The only difficult areas are at the beginning when there are forts up and you have to plan right to keep your fighters alive but in position to intercept the enemy planes.  I usually pull 120k on operations where most of the team knows what they are doing and up to 170k as a cv if the team doesn't as I have more targets to attack.  118k damage, 63 planes downed, 3 ships sunk, and the usual salad bar of ribbons for a CV last run with a team that knew which side of the bread to butter.  Only problem I had was the cv's decided to pull turns fast enough to make a dd jealous when I did my torp drops.  But that was offset by a one torp, magazine explosion on a bb.

Edited by IronStumpjumper

[INTEL]
Members
1,895 posts
11,398 battles
1 minute ago, IronStumpjumper said:

Thinking about doing another "from the Independence point of view" article about playing this as a tier 6 US CV and still may do so.  I consider playing Killer Whale to be one of the more relaxing operations you could play as a cv.  The only difficult areas are at the beginning when there are forts up and you have to plan right to keep your fighters alive but in position to intercept the enemy planes.  I usually pull 120k on operations where most of the team knows what they are doing and up to 170k as a cv if the team doesn't as I have more targets to attack.  118k damage, 63 planes downed, 3 ships sunk, and the usual salad bar of ribbons for a CV last run with a team that knew which side of the bread to butter.  Only problem I had was the cv's decided to pull turns fast enough to make a dd jealous when I did my torp drops.  But that was offset by a one torp, magazine explosion on a bb.

That would be useful.  I for one do not play CV but I would like to know how the CV can best contribute and position in this operation.  Invariably when this operation shows up anew next time, new players will be lost as to what to do and it would be helpful to send some tips in chat.

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,174 battles
2 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

That would be useful.  I for one do not play CV but I would like to know how the CV can best contribute and position in this operation.  Invariably when this operation shows up anew next time, new players will be lost as to what to do and it would be helpful to send some tips in chat.

Did one for Raptor

Guess I'll work on one later this afternoon when I get back from fishing.

[INTEL]
Members
7,196 posts
30,169 battles

Good points.

Run it four times yesterday with three different ships. Got 4 Stars, then 5, then zero, then 5 again. It is doable.

Sometimes people know what they are doing. Others? Not so much.

Edited by alexf24

[WOLF1]
Members
2,650 posts
3 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

lol, real good design by WG

[WOLF7]
Members
12,113 posts
33 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

It would be fine if people had a clue...but they don't....:Smile_glasses:

The utter foolishness and lack of understanding of the scenario always boggles my mind. This is the easiest one to 5 star, and yet people still manage to fail it badly.

Out of position, not killing the required ships. hiding in the back of the cove, rather than going for the exit or suiciding to help the exit balance, refusing to go after the carriers because for some bizarre reason everyone had to get to the exit......

Members
383 posts
4,180 battles
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

The utter foolishness and lack of understanding of the scenario always boggles my mind. This is the easiest one to 5 star, and yet people still manage to fail it badly.

Out of position, not killing the required ships. hiding in the back of the cove, rather than going for the exit or suiciding to help the exit balance, refusing to go after the carriers because for some bizarre reason everyone had to get to the exit......

I was told by one team of potatoes that they were fine with a guaranteed 2 or 3 star "win" instead of trying for more stars!  I don't understand this, I guess my generation didn't play for a participation trophy, but try to win.  I know sometimes things happen and 2 stars could be a good result if you have a clueless team, but to not try to maximize your winnings just seems, I don't know somehow "wrong".  

Their take seemed to be that they could win with 2 or 3 stars and go on to the next battle quickly.  Maybe in the long run they could earn more that way, if you take into account a few loses when trying for 4 or 5 stars?  Still seems like less fun to me doing it that way.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,650 posts
13 minutes ago, awiggin said:

is there an official intro about these OPs? seriously from in game message it's very hard to know what exactly is going on

especially for those who don't come to forums (which i think is majority), WG need to make the OP more transparent

• Cool 1

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,174 battles
4 hours ago, awiggin said:

It boggles my mind as well considering how long the operation has been going on.  Granted, there will be new people who never ran it before- that's a given but I'm someone who at least looks up info about the mission before I jump into it.  Maybe WG needs to have a separate forum section where people can post guides and tips on ships other then mix them up with other forum posts.

4 hours ago, 1dennistt said:

I was told by one team of potatoes that they were fine with a guaranteed 2 or 3 star "win" instead of trying for more stars!  I don't understand this, I guess my generation didn't play for a participation trophy, but try to win.  I know sometimes things happen and 2 stars could be a good result if you have a clueless team, but to not try to maximize your winnings just seems, I don't know somehow "wrong".  

Their take seemed to be that they could win with 2 or 3 stars and go on to the next battle quickly.  Maybe in the long run they could earn more that way, if you take into account a few loses when trying for 4 or 5 stars?  Still seems like less fun to me doing it that way.

I play to win even when I consider the game to be relaxation.  If things happen that causes a 5 star to become less (random rng one shots taking out teammates for example,) that happens.  But when it is a gaggle of clueless teammates firing on a non-threat/non-priority ship just to farm damage when the last priority ship (a dd) is closer, causing damage, and keeping us from a 5 star, it isn't as understandable.

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,174 battles
4 hours ago, Happy668 said:

is there an official intro about these OPs? seriously from in game message it's very hard to know what exactly is going on

especially for those who don't come to forums (which i think is majority), WG need to make the OP more transparent

What you see is what you get from WG but there are tons of youtube videos on these missions online and buried in the forums.  And there isn't much that could make this operation more transparent as it is as open as it can get.  Very predictable timing, predictable enemy ship entry points on phase 2, the enemy ships are always at the same points during phase 1, and you actually get good spotting distance on this map.  Only thing real unpredictable on this map is who the enemy planes go after and that is also predictable as in phase 1, it is the first group that enters into the bay and whoever is closer to the cv's during phase 2. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,067 posts
629 battles

Step 1) Follow the instructions on the screen.

Step 2) Farm 5 stars.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,753 posts
4,299 battles

Posted in Aug 2017

Seems to me he did a later one, too.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[UFFA]
Members
1,648 posts
72 battles
4 hours ago, 1dennistt said:

This was my experience with Newport. Better to stay in repair circles and get a couple of stars never found a team willing to five star. I was able to five star KW three times without much issue today. 

[WOLF1]
Members
2,650 posts
23 minutes ago, IronStumpjumper said:

What you see is what you get from WG but there are tons of youtube videos on these missions online and buried in the forums.  And there isn't much that could make this operation more transparent as it is as open as it can get.  Very predictable timing, predictable enemy ship entry points on phase 2, the enemy ships are always at the same points during phase 1, and you actually get good spotting distance on this map.  Only thing real unpredictable on this map is who the enemy planes go after and that is also predictable as in phase 1, it is the first group that enters into the bay and whoever is closer to the cv's during phase 2. 

well the fact is, majority of players don't watch youtube videos or dig through forums

you say to hell with them, well, that's the current state, and no one wins but everyone suffers

to fix that, WG need to make in-game improvement and let players know how to play OPs better

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,174 battles
2 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

well the fact is, majority of players don't watch youtube videos or dig through forums

you say to hell with them, well, that's the current state, and no one wins but everyone suffers

to fix that, WG need to make in-game improvement and let players know how to play OPs better

If you took my comment as a "to hell with them" state of mind, you need to go out on the porch and drink some lemonade for a while till you cool down.  And there isn't a requirement that states that WG must hold a persons hand in order for them to do the operations successfully.  The onus is always on the player to learn.  Considering they put the requirements on the top left side of your screen when you're playing (they even remove completed objectives so you see what you have left,) they don't run most of the operations with random timing or entry points (usually 2 choices on direction for some operations but timing is set,)  and the objectives are easily doable especially on this map when the objectives are all on screen by wave 3; they can't make it any easier to learn it.

As to time, it doesn't take much time to browse for information if you haven't learned the operation after running it a couple times......  Usually I youtube a video and fast forward through most of it while paying attention to the major points needed for the operation.  That can cut a 15 minute video down to about 5 minutes for some people like myself.  And if I don't find myself still able to do max out my end of the mission for my team, a quick forum search that would take a few seconds to read the main point of what info I'm missing and other counterpoints helps.

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
160 posts
17,158 battles
9 hours ago, IronStumpjumper said:

If the exit is to the southwest, send 2-3 ships north to take out the cruiser and bb as well as defend themselves against future waves while everyone else cuts east to take out the CV and priority warships then head for the exit.  

east?!  Please correct mistakes for posterity.  

Thank you for a very worthy, necessary forum post.  Hope it is read often by tyros.  +1.  Thanks!

Operation Killer Whale is the favorite scenario at our Saturday Nite Clan Ops.

Members
1,182 posts
5,156 battles
6 hours ago, Happy668 said:

5 hours ago, Happy668 said:

11 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

Then what do you propose WG do? What improvements do you suggest that WG implement to make it easier for players to learn how to play the Operation scenarios?

Both verbal and graphical information is given at the beginning of the Operation scenarios and throughout the scenarios that tell the player(s) what needs to be achieved as far as primary and secondary objectives with markers on the interface and map. That info doesn't disappear in the in-game chat either. It is displayed on the upper left-hand corner of your screen.

On top of that, there is a plethora of information for each of the Operation scenarios available in the form walk-throughs both from WG, community contributors, and players in the forums and YouTube videos. And if that is not enough, there are players and groups who run Operation divisions with the intent of helping players learn how to play these different scenarios.

The truth is that no matter how much information is provided by WG or help is given by the WoWs community, there are a number of players who are either just to "lazy" or unwillingly to put forth a little time and effort to learn how to play the different scenarios.

[WORX]
Members
4,562 posts
15,432 battles

@IronStumpjumper Has that way of getting 5 stars, but there are others now that the Cleveland is gone, its a big blow to support role ship with DPM capabilities. This is my way too.

• Fastest cruiser  heads north around the island taking out the red Cruiser/forts/installations from the start (the Cleveland was a good ship for this task)
  1. The only replacement for the Tier 6 Cleveland Spotting, AA defense is a very competent CV driver
  • BBs are recommended to use there range rather then getting to close to the park red CV/BB
  1. That also means getting close to the entry of the central cove not passing the inner east small island. to scare away the red DD who sneaks in
  2. The Northern BB will (with or without escort of a cruiser) have to sink the red cruiser or BB
  3. If the exit is to the southwest, the BB and cruiser will suicide AFTER sinking the glowing red ships
  4. IF the Exit is to the north then split the fleet evenly (BB/cruiser/dd) to attack the red glowing CVs/DD/cruiser to the west.
  5. IF the exit is north and you help to the west and your a BB/cruiser remember suicide AFTER you sink the glowing red ships maybe your best option
  • The rest of the fleet should be taking out the forts to help out your CV driver,
  • Sinking the red DD/cruiser/BB that spawn in the south
  • Then attack the southern installations
  • Cruisers going after the red DD after sinking the parked BB/CV is crucial, that is a star you dont want to lose while taking out all the left over installations
  • Cruisers will split up, the majority will back up the Northern BB if needed, and the rest will sink the DD/Cruiser/two CVs to the west.
  • Remember guys, AFTER sinking the glowing red BB/cruiser up north and the Glowing DD/cruiser/two CVs to the west. Now you have to think
  1. WHere is 50% of my fleet ? are they close to either North/west exit ? Do I need to suicide in order to win the match with any stars ?
  2. Some times suicide is the answer and the operation AI will help you, they will send endless wave to distract from your 50% exit goal.

CV drivers. This is the easy operation for you to farm DMG BUT there is a catch

1. positioning
  2. positioning
  3. positioning
  4. and you you guessed it your the replacement for the T6 Cleveland, you can farm DMG like crazy but you will guarantee a win if you position correctly
  5. IF the exit is to the west you go right at it and if your fleet is down to 2, you win the operation for the fleet and whatever stars you earned
  6. If its to the north then more then likely when you see your fleet up there but they need a sacrifice, yes you suicide for the fleet.

I would like to thank @IronStumpjumper for his piece... Guys, in summery, there are so many ways to pass this operation. Yeah the Cleveland is gone but it opens the door to competent CV drivers to hoard stars all day. This guide #2 is also my contribution to combat human mistakes in operations. Take care.

Edited by Navalpride33

[PIRAT]
Members
81 posts
3,174 battles
21 minutes ago, Jazzyblaster said:

Nice write-up! I'm sure it will be helpful to many. Thanks for posting. :)

Is there a way to add a forum subsection to game guides and tutorials and make it an operation specific section?  The way info is scattered, I can understand Happy's point of having to search for updated information about operations though I do check the dates of forum searches and choose the newest set of posts.  But putting them all in one location can make looking them up easier.

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles
1 minute ago, IronStumpjumper said:

Is there a way to add a forum subsection to game guides and tutorials and make it an operation specific section?  The way info is scattered, I can understand Happy's point of having to search for updated information about operations though I do check the dates of forum searches and choose the newest set of posts.  But putting them all in one location can make looking them up easier.

That's a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to make a note of it.