You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Just Graduated From High School!

37 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
3,283 posts
7,696 battles

Admittedly, I'm below the standard age demographic of the WoWs playerbase, but I felt like putting this out there anyways.

After four years, I finally got my diploma, gave a speech to my entire grade, and even got into a very nice college to boot!

I guess I'll eventually go back to studying during college, but for now, it's finally ok to relax a bit.:fish_sleep:

we1620516cjpg-28822b7b1473224e.jpg

• Cool 13

[-K-]
Members
6,559 posts
10,913 battles

Congrats and good luck in the future!  It's a big scary world out there.

• Cool 1

[VFW]
Members
1,205 posts
24,011 battles

Congratulations.  Best of Luck in Life.

vr

• Cool 1

Members
4,123 posts
8,680 battles
55 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

After four years, I finally got my diploma, gave a speech to my entire grade, and even got into a very nice college to boot!

Congrats, I was the first male in my Father's side of the Family to graduate High School, that was away back in 1978!

Good Luck with Life as well.:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[13TH]
Members
4,872 posts
8,346 battles
52 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Admittedly, I'm below the standard age demographic of the WoWs playerbase, but I felt like putting this out there anyways.

I guess I'll eventually go back to studying during college, but for now, it's finally ok to relax a bit.:fish_sleep:

we1620516cjpg-28822b7b1473224e.jpg

Have a great life young one,:Smile_honoring:be kind, smell the roses once in a while surround yourself with good people and good friends, set some goals work hard and have some fun ...life goes by pretty fast and one last thing

try not to fret Wows win rates to much

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,190 posts
30,112 battles

Congrats!

Go get 'em!

(and welcome to the rat race)

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,602 battles

Welcome to the world of adulthood. It's scary out there, but you'll make it.

• Cool 2

Members
382 posts
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Enjoy college, cause adult life follows :Smile_teethhappy:

Nah, that starts at 30 now when you finally leave home and get your first job.

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,603 posts
3,416 battles

*adds another person to the list of internet people the same age as me*

Edited by _1204_
  • Funny 1

[WLDD]
Supertester
226 posts
6,116 battles

Taxes and bills suck. Getting older sucks. The days of gaming away, not worrying about work, or the like have gone. Enjoy college as much as you can, whether you're a partier or not (not strongly recommended IMO) make sure you have fun and of course, go to class :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[TIGRB]
Beta Testers
2,591 posts
21,812 battles

I remember that when I graduated from High school four months later the Army sent me a Draft notice date. I guess they wanted to send me to Nam . Did not like the Idea of being drafted , so I went and joined the Navy for the next four years . I believe to this day that joining saved my life and had my 19th Birthday in booth Camp  

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
3,938 posts
4,313 battles
11 minutes ago, RobertViktor68 said:

College is "Dating Fantasy Land"!

College is "Study hard and work otherwise your GPA will fall and you will lose your scholarships" land

[MIA-P]
Members
2,192 posts
11,422 battles
55 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

College is "Study hard and work otherwise your GPA will fall and you will lose your scholarships" land

This.  I found out the hard way.  Study.  Some people have the "C's get degrees" mantra, but it's false. Get B's or higher. You'll find it works much better that way.  Also, plan ahead so as to avoid all-nighters.  And take good notes!

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,049 posts

Unless your family is well-off, I'd suggest that you get a job part time and then pursue an associate degree in something that you enjoy and that also has good employment opportunities in your area. After this you can go to a four-year college at night or part time, paying your way as you go by working. Otherwise, you are likely to find yourself with a BA, a hundred thousand dollars in debt, and as few job prospects as you had right out of high school. Avoid student loans like the plague.

The military also is a good way to start out adult life. In the military, you will 1. learn a skill 2. save up money 3. get in shape 4. gain self-discipline 5. earn the respect that comes with being a veteran 6. have the opportunity to get your college entirely paid for if you sign up for the right program.

The military (medic) and then an AAS (intensive care technology/paramedic) is is the route I took to start out and I ended up getting several more degrees with not a single cent of debt accrued. If you don't get trapped in debt and have enough knowledge and skills then people tend to seek you out, and a whole world of opportunity will opens up to you.

[MIA-P]
Members
2,192 posts
11,422 battles
17 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Unless your family is well-off, I'd suggest that you get a job part time and then pursue an associate degree in something that you enjoy and that also has good employment opportunities in your area. After this you can go to a four-year college at night or part time, paying your way as you go by working. Otherwise, you are likely to find yourself with a BA, a hundred thousand dollars in debt, and as few job prospects as you had right out of high school. Avoid student loans like the plague.

The military also is a good way to start out adult life. In the military, you will 1. learn a skill 2. save up money 3. get in shape 4. gain self-discipline 5. earn the respect that comes with being a veteran 6. have the opportunity to get your college entirely paid for if you sign up for the right program.

The military (medic) and then an AAS (intensive care technology/paramedic) is is the route I took to start out and I ended up getting several more degrees with not a single cent of debt accrued. If you don't get trapped in debt and have enough knowledge and skills then people tend to seek you out, and a whole world of opportunity will opens up to you.

Adding to this, don't go to college for something that doesn't really require a degree. It's expensive. If you want to go into a field like Architecture, it's practically required, but a psychology degree (at least in the US) is worthless without going all the way to PHD (very pricy).

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,049 posts
1 hour ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Adding to this, don't go to college for something that doesn't really require a degree. It's expensive. If you want to go into a field like Architecture, it's practically required, but a psychology degree (at least in the US) is worthless without going all the way to PHD (very pricy).

Correct. For instance, if you are interested in IT, then a degree in computer science really isn't the initial route that you want to take. By the time you have your [oh come on -- they edit out Bachelor of Science!?] in computer science you could have obtained a half or dozen or more certifications and also four years' experience in the IT field.

A degree per se doesn't necessarily guarantee a well-paying job -- you have to get the right degree. My cousin got a degree in linguistics. The only job he could find was in data entry. At the station to his right sat a girl who only had a GED, making the same money as he did. To his left sat a man with a PhD in philosophy, also making the same minimum wage. A friend of mine in college got a degree in geography. She has waited tables for the past 20 years. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[MIA-P]
Members
2,192 posts
11,422 battles
14 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Correct. For instance, if you are interested in IT, then a degree in computer science really isn't the initial route that you want to take. By the time you have your [oh come on -- they edit out Bachelor of Science!?] in computer science you could have obtained a half or dozen or more certifications and also four years' experience in the IT field.

A degree per se doesn't necessarily guarantee a well-paying job -- you have to get the right degree. My cousin got a degree in linguistics. The only job he could find was in data entry. At the station to his right sat a girl who only had a GED, making the same money as he did. To his left sat a man with a PhD in philosophy, also making the same minimum wage. A friend of mine in college got a degree in geography. She has waited tables for the past 20 years. 

Precisely.  Also, if you do go into a degree field intern during summers in that field. I have a masters in architecture, but had some trouble finding a job due to lack of prior experience (I actually got the second one I applied for and had one other offer, but it took a month for them to get back to me with the offer and I applied to some 30 or so firms-some of which turned me down precisely for lack of experience). Experience is as important as your degree.

Edited by thegamefilmguruman

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,049 posts
On 6/11/2018 at 12:08 PM, thegamefilmguruman said:

Precisely.  Also, if you do go into a degree field intern during summers in that field. I have a masters in architecture, but had some trouble finding a job due to lack of prior experience (I actually got the second one I applied for and had one other offer, but it took a month for them to get back to me with the offer and I applied to some 30 or so firms). Experience is as important as your degree.

I taught in a program that trained students in natural sciences technology (fisheries; forestry; integrated). Each of our students spent at least one quarter, and usually two, in a paid internship working for various local wildlife and environmental agencies. Every Fall we'd sit down with agency program heads and ask them what they were looking for in their new hires. If necessary, we would then modify our programs accordingly. Far from obtaining an "ivory tower" education that had little practical application, our students obtained a degree that gave them the knowledge and skills that employers actually looked for. In fact, many students just continued their internship as a full-time job when they graduated.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1