Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

Nerf nerf nerf nerf...there are days when I wonder...

8 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,650 posts
14,304 battles

I'm a DD main.. I used to be a BB main... back when life was really difficult being a BB.   When cruisers and DD's could fire from open water unseen.  When someone with a match on shore three maps away could set your ship on fire...  When you didn't see the Shimakaze's slow 20Km torps at 2.5 Km. When carriers were utterly terrifying!

I loved driving BB's then..  not so much fun now days. A lot less challenge.  I have a Lyon in my collection.  When I take it out I feel like I'm drowning baby kittens.  I yolo with it just to give the other guys a chance because the guns are scary accurate.  Yea the shells are a weird size and can be very "ok what?" sometimes but that happens with any BB.  There 16 of em. I'mma 2 year veteran of this game.. nothing wrong with my gunnery.   Drowning kittens.

I drive DD's these days not because of ease of play because they're most certainly are not easy to play.  The amount of head on a swivel that good DD drivers must do would put a fighter pilot to shame.  Move wrong in a DD and you die.. move right in a DD in the wrong place you die.  Move wrong in the right place you die.  You rarely survive your mistakes in a DD.  Yea at higher tiers you can have some cruiser sized HP pools in some of the DD's but everything is hitting a lot harder and more often.. kinda negates that. No matter how you slice a DD's best defence is to just never ever lets its self be shot at and hit.  On some of the threads in the forums I've been promoting builds and tactics for DD's that are all about not getting shot at in the first place.  About getting that first sighting before your sighted. getting distance so you have room to dodge, to not get hit, to have some control over your fate in a match while still being effective and contributing to the fight.   

It is difficult though.  DD's are still playable... But most BB's players don't know how to drive one or the limitations of them.  CA mains get it because it someone like what they must deal with.  Just worse.  Where as I can't think of a single DD main I know of that cant go kick [edited]in a Battleships with no problem at all.  We tend to be really aggressive when we're in BB's too.  We know to use the armor, the heals, the DC, and the guns to best effect.  We know the targets that need to be shot right now.  When I drive BB, the teams DD's find I am right there with them.. They die, I die with 'em.    Unsurprisingly I usually take a beating but I live  (later yea I get sunk but the goal is accomplished..one step at a time), and the other guys get forced away from the cap. I spend a lot of time on the winning side when I drive BB's, and I hate it when I buy an early lead for a team and they prove to be incapable of keeping that lead.    Grrrrrrrrrr!

But ya know more changes being talked about and I'm hearing it again it's a nerf, it's a buff.     Ha!  It's just a change.  They have pro and cons.   And none of them can be considered in isolation because everything interacts in some way.  the possible DD hull plating thinning from a standard of 19mm down to 13mm.  Stated reason for the change is to stop BB main gun AP of X size from detonating inside a DD hull no matter the aspect or range.  SIde effect, Heavy Cruiser 203's will be able to do what the BB

guns did.   Considering how much faster CA guns fire and how much tighter their shell groupings are.. I am not looking forward to that aspect of it! On the other hand it will benefit me as a DD shooting at other DD's.  As a fan of IJN 100mm guns   (Akizuki, Harekaze 4-10, and soon a tier IX and X DD with them) and I will no longer need IFHE when shooting at other DD's.  With them having thinner plating more of my regular HE will pen, and less of my AP will break and will instead pen and detonate inside with its itty bitty bursting charge.  Of course other DD's will have the same thing with me.  Also all DD's will be more vulnerable to BB secondary fire, and this change will also effectively boost the power of the secondaries directly of two of the IJN BB's, one premium, one main line that use the 100mm mounts.  (the secondaries on the Kii will pretty much double in lethality v DD with this change.   And it could use it!)   I'm pretty sure there a few more effects I've kinda missed due my specialization in the IJN lines.  But I'm also pretty sure the good folks that know their stuff for other lines are likely figuring it out if the've a bent to eye ball the effects on mechanics and game play

(yes I can be an optimist and a pessimist at the same time...I see no conflict there at all......   What? My flame go out again?)

Anyway close this on down let you guys chatter on the thoughts presented.

BB drivers that have been doing so much complaining.   You guys have the simplest job in the game.   Those of us in the other ships do not.  Good CV play requires an absolute phenomenal amount of skill these days, and at high tier a lot of patience because it seriously easy to waste your air group with nothing to show for it.   CV drivers tend to come in just two flavors these days.. hyper competent, or CV newb.   It's very difficult to get good in one.  CA's are getting more things to do and are as busy as DD drivers these days.  And then the DD's who pretty much do everything cruisers do just not quite as well over all and are seriously the south side of fragile.

So this change may make it a little harder for BB's to deal with DD's because you know you might have to switch to HE  to one salvo blat that DD.  This is what I've seen said and just gotta say "What?"  'Cuz most of you bums spend yer matches firing nothing but HE from BB guns anyway!  I suppose I should be thankful.. because your likely  to be the BB drivers who don't shoot at DD's because you know "they're to hard to hit."  (I don't have any issues hitting DD's at any range with BB guns..But then I always shoot at them.  Being a DD main I know exactly what they can do and how they're vulnerable)

So where is all these little itty bitty changes over the last few months and shortly to come taking us?   We know what the aim is here because the devs told us what it was months ago  (might wanna go look at old dev video's guys!).  They want BB's to get more involved in the fighting.  They wanted to make cruisers more effective and important and I must say I believe they've pulled that aff with more to come. 

Now they really can't actually make BB drives have to get out from behind the rocks, play less passively, get closer to the action where everything they do is more effecting, and do a little less avoiding damage and a little more causing damage.  How ever they can do things to make it more nasty for us screening vessels to be out front  and because they have done this passive DD play is about to happen and is all ready in process developing with new builds, new tactics and even some new ships.  I think the way  folks have been driving DD's is changing, and it's going to move toward what will be called passive play, but then that's because the DD's are going to be having to play more defensively to survive and will be using your BB for a meat shield.   You want to be the deciders of battle?  Go right ahead.  Means you need to get started on your contribution right from spawn onward.    You want a cap.. there it is.. YOU chase the radar cruisers away.  You can do a much better job of it then my DD can.  Oh and by the way.. if you don't chase the radar cruisers off they will snipe you to death from outside of my DD's range and if they even think that I'm close nuff to light up with radar they will and put paid to me very very fast if they're any sort of decent shot at all so in you go oh big buff BB.  Either go earn your paycheck and rep or come learn what it takes to be good in a DD.

Snarl hiss spit, claw!

Warlord sends

Oh yea, and everyone have an awesome day and be excellent to each other!

• Cool 9
  • Boring 3

[RIPCV]
Members
143 posts
807 battles
9 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

I have a Lyon in my collection.  When I take it out I feel like I'm drowning baby kittens.  I yolo with it just to give the other guys a chance because the guns are scary accurate

What did he mean by this? 

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
4 minutes ago, DynDueMuffin said:

That the guns on his Lyon are very accurate. Considering it's a 16 gun BB he is saying it's a strong ship.

And to the OP, if you want to do.well in DD you just have to play even more patiently/passive than Destroyer has in the past with all the radar floating around. It's not as fun, and you aren't helping your team like you once could. It's making Destroyers depend on their teams to eliminate Radar so they can push into the play.

Its definitely taken the first few minutes off a destroyer match for me. Just gotta sit and wait to see what pops up before committing to anything now. See where their radar is, hope they popped a charge, and then it's time to go pussyfooting around the match looking for the next radar ship. It's like a really unfortunate treasure hunt.

[TMS]
Members
2,492 posts
25,610 battles
30 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

I'm a DD main.. I used to be a BB main... back when life was really difficult being a BB.   When cruisers and DD's could fire from open water unseen.  When someone with a match on shore three maps away could set your ship on fire...  When you didn't see the Shimakaze's slow 20Km torps at 2.5 Km. When carriers were utterly terrifying!

I loved driving BB's then..  not so much fun now days. A lot less challenge.  I have a Lyon in my collection.  When I take it out I feel like I'm drowning baby kittens.  I yolo with it just to give the other guys a chance because the guns are scary accurate.  Yea the shells are a weird size and can be very "ok what?" sometimes but that happens with any BB.  There 16 of em. I'mma 2 year veteran of this game.. nothing wrong with my gunnery.   Drowning kittens.

I drive DD's these days not because of ease of play because they're most certainly are not easy to play.  The amount of head on a swivel that good DD drivers must do would put a fighter pilot to shame.  Move wrong in a DD and you die.. move right in a DD in the wrong place you die.  Move wrong in the right place you die.  You rarely survive your mistakes in a DD.  Yea at higher tiers you can have some cruiser sized HP pools in some of the DD's but everything is hitting a lot harder and more often.. kinda negates that. No matter how you slice a DD's best defence is to just never ever lets its self be shot at and hit.  On some of the threads in the forums I've been promoting builds and tactics for DD's that are all about not getting shot at in the first place.  About getting that first sighting before your sighted. getting distance so you have room to dodge, to not get hit, to have some control over your fate in a match while still being effective and contributing to the fight.   

It is difficult though.  DD's are still playable... But most BB's players don't know how to drive one or the limitations of them.  CA mains get it because it someone like what they must deal with.  Just worse.  Where as I can't think of a single DD main I know of that cant go kick [edited]in a Battleships with no problem at all.  We tend to be really aggressive when we're in BB's too.  We know to use the armor, the heals, the DC, and the guns to best effect.  We know the targets that need to be shot right now.  When I drive BB, the teams DD's find I am right there with them.. They die, I die with 'em.    Unsurprisingly I usually take a beating but I live  (later yea I get sunk but the goal is accomplished..one step at a time), and the other guys get forced away from the cap. I spend a lot of time on the winning side when I drive BB's, and I hate it when I buy an early lead for a team and they prove to be incapable of keeping that lead.    Grrrrrrrrrr!

But ya know more changes being talked about and I'm hearing it again it's a nerf, it's a buff.     Ha!  It's just a change.  They have pro and cons.   And none of them can be considered in isolation because everything interacts in some way.  the possible DD hull plating thinning from a standard of 19mm down to 13mm.  Stated reason for the change is to stop BB main gun AP of X size from detonating inside a DD hull no matter the aspect or range.  SIde effect, Heavy Cruiser 203's will be able to do what the BB

guns did.   Considering how much faster CA guns fire and how much tighter their shell groupings are.. I am not looking forward to that aspect of it! On the other hand it will benefit me as a DD shooting at other DD's.  As a fan of IJN 100mm guns   (Akizuki, Harekaze 4-10, and soon a tier IX and X DD with them) and I will no longer need IFHE when shooting at other DD's.  With them having thinner plating more of my regular HE will pen, and less of my AP will break and will instead pen and detonate inside with its itty bitty bursting charge.  Of course other DD's will have the same thing with me.  Also all DD's will be more vulnerable to BB secondary fire, and this change will also effectively boost the power of the secondaries directly of two of the IJN BB's, one premium, one main line that use the 100mm mounts.  (the secondaries on the Kii will pretty much double in lethality v DD with this change.   And it could use it!)   I'm pretty sure there a few more effects I've kinda missed due my specialization in the IJN lines.  But I'm also pretty sure the good folks that know their stuff for other lines are likely figuring it out if the've a bent to eye ball the effects on mechanics and game play

(yes I can be an optimist and a pessimist at the same time...I see no conflict there at all......   What? My flame go out again?)

Anyway close this on down let you guys chatter on the thoughts presented.

BB drivers that have been doing so much complaining.   You guys have the simplest job in the game.   Those of us in the other ships do not.  Good CV play requires an absolute phenomenal amount of skill these days, and at high tier a lot of patience because it seriously easy to waste your air group with nothing to show for it.   CV drivers tend to come in just two flavors these days.. hyper competent, or CV newb.   It's very difficult to get good in one.  CA's are getting more things to do and are as busy as DD drivers these days.  And then the DD's who pretty much do everything cruisers do just not quite as well over all and are seriously the south side of fragile.

So this change may make it a little harder for BB's to deal with DD's because you know you might have to switch to HE  to one salvo blat that DD.  This is what I've seen said and just gotta say "What?"  'Cuz most of you bums spend yer matches firing nothing but HE from BB guns anyway!  I suppose I should be thankful.. because your likely  to be the BB drivers who don't shoot at DD's because you know "they're to hard to hit."  (I don't have any issues hitting DD's at any range with BB guns..But then I always shoot at them.  Being a DD main I know exactly what they can do and how they're vulnerable)

So where is all these little itty bitty changes over the last few months and shortly to come taking us?   We know what the aim is here because the devs told us what it was months ago  (might wanna go look at old dev video's guys!).  They want BB's to get more involved in the fighting.  They wanted to make cruisers more effective and important and I must say I believe they've pulled that aff with more to come. 

Now they really can't actually make BB drives have to get out from behind the rocks, play less passively, get closer to the action where everything they do is more effecting, and do a little less avoiding damage and a little more causing damage.  How ever they can do things to make it more nasty for us screening vessels to be out front  and because they have done this passive DD play is about to happen and is all ready in process developing with new builds, new tactics and even some new ships.  I think the way  folks have been driving DD's is changing, and it's going to move toward what will be called passive play, but then that's because the DD's are going to be having to play more defensively to survive and will be using your BB for a meat shield.   You want to be the deciders of battle?  Go right ahead.  Means you need to get started on your contribution right from spawn onward.    You want a cap.. there it is.. YOU chase the radar cruisers away.  You can do a much better job of it then my DD can.  Oh and by the way.. if you don't chase the radar cruisers off they will snipe you to death from outside of my DD's range and if they even think that I'm close nuff to light up with radar they will and put paid to me very very fast if they're any sort of decent shot at all so in you go oh big buff BB.  Either go earn your paycheck and rep or come learn what it takes to be good in a DD.

Snarl hiss spit, claw!

Warlord sends

Oh yea, and everyone have an awesome day and be excellent to each other!

Damn great post. :Smile_great:

Edited by Final8ty

[TIGRB]
Beta Testers
2,584 posts
21,805 battles
2 hours ago, DynDueMuffin said:

You don't know what he meant saying what he did , then go play DD's  then you'll know.....

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,602 posts
3,416 battles

Dds have a high skill floor and a high skill ceiling. Bbs have a low skill floor and a low skill ceiling. Just simple fact of life. If you don't like how dds are unforgiving, then dont play them

[RIPCV]
Members
143 posts
807 battles
1 hour ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

You don't know what he meant saying what he did , then go play DD's  then you'll know.....

It means I have eff-all clue what he's talking about because Lyon is anything but an accurate ship.

[SBS]
Members
4,410 posts
2,408 battles
3 hours ago, _1204_ said:

Dds have a high skill floor and a high skill ceiling.

In another thread someone said the influx of radar has lowered the skill ceiling for DDs.  My first thought was no it raised the skill floor by a good bit.  After thinking about it a bit it more my thoughts moved towards there being a fine line between the skill floor being raised and ceiling lowered, and maybe this person was right about the ceiling after all.  Another day of powdering it I've come to believe its both the floor going up and ceiling coming down on DDs.  That's the worst possible combination.

Sign in to follow this