Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Is T9 Buffalo only a little better than old T9 Baltimore?

34 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
14,625 posts
10,955 battles

seems to be a bit worse

[ARGSY]
Members
1,318 posts
9,469 battles

I was going to make a joke about Buffalo, NY,  but it's too easy, and I like to believe I'm better than that.

[WOLFB]
Members
648 posts
23,324 battles

I like it. Doing more damage with buffalo than DM most games.

[RLGN]
Members
8,694 posts
17,952 battles
1 minute ago, fbrrhd said:

This^^^

In Co-op at least, I’m averaging more hits than I ever did before giving up on DM.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,891 posts
11,536 battles

Should you expect 1 T9 to be better than another T9, could there be a factor of sightly different ship and getting used to it. 

Or, will be in line when they introduce the other CL in 7.6.

Edited by CriMiNaL__
  • Cool 1

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
17,187 battles
2 hours ago, fbrrhd said:

Weird- Des puts out a lot more shells per minute than Buffalo does.

Edited by Ju87s
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,331 posts
6,750 battles
40 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Probably because Des attracts a lot more shells per minute too :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 2

Members
4,013 posts
14,850 battles
55 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

Aint that the truth! I generally don't do very well with Des Moines. Probably because I spend so much time ducking behind islands or zig-zagging like hell to avoid the hailstorm of incoming shots. The same thing happened to me during the very short time that I had Minotaur.

I've been thinking about transferring my Des Moines captain to Buffalo and seeing how Buf does.

[STW-A]
[STW-A]
Beta Testers
113 posts
12,509 battles

buffalo only has a slightly faster rate of fire then the Baltimore(tier 9). what the buffalo brings to the table is a bigger alpha strike. which in terms of trying to shot a DD, when all your guns are aiming. you have more shells flying down during the time the dd is spotted. if your hugging an island though so you only have the use of 2 turrets. the old Baltimore is better.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
17,187 battles
10 hours ago, Kenjister said:

That's why you gotta hump those island

[DRACS]
Members
3,637 posts

I'm not impressed by Buffalo, personally. With Balti at tier 9, I could get most of my DPM by going bow on and generally face tank all cruisers and a ton of BBs. Buffalo requires you show side to get her DPM into the fight, which I consider 'meh'.

That being said, Balti is MUCH better than New Orleans in the T8 slot now. Better DPM, better armor, more health, better AA. Personally, I'd love to see a premium Balti where, just like Eugen, I could get a bit of a drop in DPM for a heal. I miss Balti with a heal.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[WOLFB]
Members
648 posts
23,324 battles
13 hours ago, Ju87s said:

Not so weird really. DPM counts if both ships are sitting broadside and firing repeatedly.  In game you take your shots when you an and move. The Balt has 6 guns forward and 6 rear, where the DM "running" only has 3 guns out the rear.

So just about any angle the Balt is pumping out at learst 6 rounds and the DM doesn't. And when you to get a full broadside shot the DM is 9 vs 12 for Balt. So as the game is dynamic not static the Balt has plenty of fire power..

I am still avg damage about 1.5K more on Balt over DM. 

[DRACS]
Members
3,637 posts
2 minutes ago, fbrrhd said:

Not so weird really. DPM counts if both ships are sitting broadside and firing repeatedly.  In game you take your shots when you an and move. The Balt has 6 guns forward and 6 rear, where the DM "running" only has 3 guns out the rear.

So just about any angle the Balt is pumping out at learst 6 rounds and the DM doesn't. And when you to get a full broadside shot the DM is 9 vs 12 for Balt. So as the game is dynamic not static the Balt has plenty of fire power..

I am still avg damage about 1.5K more on Balt over DM. 

Balti has 6 forward and 3 rear. Did you perhaps mean Buffalo?

Even with Buffalo having more guns, DM's absolutely crazy 5.5s reload on her guns means she can output significantly more DPM than either Baltimore or Buffalo. DM also has much better AA. DM's problem is she's also MUCH more fragile with that gigantic above the water citadel covering two thirds of the ship. You could take chances with Balti/Buffalo. The smallest mistake in Des Moines could get you dev struck effortlessly.

[BOTO]
Members
200 posts
7,173 battles

Not a big fan.  I really liked the Baltimore at Tier 9.  I'm not saying the Buffalo is a bad ship, but it definitely is quit a bit different from the Baltimore.  The only ship that I really like now after the split is New Orleans at Tier 7.  Baltimore is ok at Tier 8 but I liked her previously at 9.  Cleveland is actually pretty decent at Tier 8, as long as you handle her right.

[SYN]
Members
4,586 posts
11,475 battles

Have to say that I'm liking the changes.

• Pensacola feels better at T6 than T7, despite the much reduced turret traverse
  • New Orleans feels way better at T7 than T8
  • Baltimore feels about the same at T8 as it did at T9, but better than New Orleans was at T8
  • Buffalo feels better at T9 than the Baltimore - the three extra barrels help a lot
  • Still getting used to the Cleveland with just 14km gunnery at T8, but with a concealment build it is deadly to opposing DDs

Overall, the line has a logical progression and makes more sense than before.

It is simply is a matter of people adapting and getting used to changes.  IMO the new US cruiser arrangement is an improvement.  Eager to see the rest of the new light cruisers show up.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
648 posts
23,324 battles
2 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Balti has 6 forward and 3 rear. Did you perhaps mean Buffalo?

Even with Buffalo having more guns, DM's absolutely crazy 5.5s reload on her guns means she can output significantly more DPM than either Baltimore or Buffalo. DM also has much better AA. DM's problem is she's also MUCH more fragile with that gigantic above the water citadel covering two thirds of the ship. You could take chances with Balti/Buffalo. The smallest mistake in Des Moines could get you dev struck effortlessly.

Yup....meant Buffalo (still getting confused with the changes)! 

The point was with DM you rarely get a chance to just sit and pump DPM from 9 guns.

I can only speak for my results with the 2 ships (a long history with DM and a shorter one with Buffalo)

But right now my avg damage withthe 2 is 1.5k better with Buffalo///

YMMV

Cheers

Alpha Tester
2,208 posts
7,240 battles

While my total battles is a lot less with Buffalo vs the Baltimore, my average damage so far is significant. Baltimore is 36k in 80 battles while Buffalo is 60k in 8. While i enjoyed my Balti, the Buff is proving to be a fine replacement. 

[WOLFB]
Members
648 posts
23,324 battles

My avg damage:

Baltimore (only played it once as an 8) 51 battles    42658 avg damage

DM                                                              42 battles     64607 avg damage

Buffalo                                                       15 battles      69480 avg damage          

Members
1,112 posts
2 hours ago, Wittman73 said:

Not a big fan.  I really liked the Baltimore at Tier 9.  I'm not saying the Buffalo is a bad ship, but it definitely is quit a bit different from the Baltimore.  The only ship that I really like now after the split is New Orleans at Tier 7.  Baltimore is ok at Tier 8 but I liked her previously at 9.  Cleveland is actually pretty decent at Tier 8, as long as you handle her right.

The NOLA seems to have found a happy niche at Tier 7. I'm liking it much more, maybe because the old girl doesn't have to fight Hindy's and Moskva's all the time.

[BOTO]
Members
200 posts
7,173 battles
1 minute ago, TF77 said:

The NOLA seems to have found a happy niche at Tier 7. I'm liking it much more, maybe because the old girl doesn't have to fight Hindy's and Moskva's all the time.

The more I play her the more I like New Orleans at Tier 7.  She's just a good ship at that tier and she can punish any other cruiser at that tier or lower with her AP.  The only cruiser at that tier that you might could say is better is Myoko because she's faster and has the good 10km torps, but New Orleans has better concealment and I think she maneuvers a bit better.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
17,187 battles
1 hour ago, fbrrhd said:

The point was with DM you rarely get a chance to just sit and pump DPM from 9 guns.

Sure, for the most part the DM is going to be bow on. If the DM is running away using only the rear guns, then the ship is being played poorly. Even just using the the 2 front turrets of the DM vs the Buffalo using all guns, the DM will put out 12 shots in about 11 seconds while the Buffalo will put out 12 in 13 seconds.

Members
894 posts
9,240 battles

I'm impressed with Buffalo, she's a keeper in my port.  Baltimore is also a keeper.  Both are good when the MM is in your favor, if I start getting overtiered then gotta roll the DM.

For T9 Cruisers I have kept Buffalo, Neptune and Donskoi --- Roon next, no interest in French Cruisers.

My love for Cleveland is insane, scary but fun - cannot wait for the rest of the CLs!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,028 posts
10,703 battles

On paper she's worse.

I've seen a lot of them play like utter potatoes and few play well at all.

Sign in to follow this