Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MarshalSqueez

Game and website communication improvement

23 comments in this topic

[CHAOS]
Members
574 posts
2,491 battles

I've been playing WoWs a bit more recently and one of the things I keep finding myself doing is leaving where I am to find information that really should be right in front of me.   That's either going out of the game to track down information on a ship or leaving the premium shop to get information about something on sale.  Here's a compilation of things that could be fixed rather easily, but would greatly improve the experience of interacting with the game client and the website:

1) Show Ammunition and Consumable / Upgrade options for ships that haven't been purchased.  The consumables that are available and the combinations are a key factor in the gameplay of a ship.  These should absolutely not require purchasing a ship to see them in game.

uPSUBRN.jpg

2) There's still a number of hidden parameters that greatly affect ballistics.  Some of these like Sigma and shell penetration from various ranges should be included in the client.

3028t2I.jpg

3) Sales in the premium shop don't show when they end.  The only way to find this information is to dig through the news section to try to find where the sale was announced.  This information should be front and center in the premium shop.

dn6FypK.jpg

4) The details of an package in the premium shop list the items that come with it, but not what they do.  This is especially frustrating for things like camos where their bonuses are a deciding factor in a purchase.  The only way to find this info now is to search for it online, find the news item where it's announced, or already have one in game.  It would be much more convenient to have this information on the buying page, so people can know at a glance what they're buying.

E5X3l4c.png

5)  The dates on missions are in the format DD.MM.  This is very confusing as dates in North America are written MM.DD.  Anything happening in the first 12 days of a month is ambiguous.  01.06.  Is that January 6th or June 1st?  At first glance I immediately think it's January 6th.  But usually remember the dates in the other format.  There's also ambiguity for long duration mission missions that cross over the year boundary.   The ISO international standard for dates goes from biggest to smallest: 2018-06-13 for example.  Can this be localized for NA, or can this be changed to the ISO standard?  I suggest the format of 2018-JUN-13 as this removes any ambiguity of what's the month and what's the day.

2KOzTIs.jpg

These are just some I've noticed repeatedly.   If people have others it would be great to hear about them, but I'd love to see these fixed in game.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,891 posts
11,539 battles

I have not lived on this earth or any other that has 15 months in the year, so its pretty easy to work out.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF7]
Members
10,361 posts

I agree with most of them, but EURO gaming company is always going to use their date format....not likely to change.

Remember, we're still the red headed step child compared to the other servers....

Look how long it took them to put a proper explanation on the Det flag....:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by awiggin

[CHAOS]
Members
574 posts
2,491 battles
42 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I have not lived on this earth or any other that has 15 months in the year, so its pretty easy to work out.

It's not hard to work out if one number is greater than 12, but if they're both 12 or less....

01.06  02.09  08.04  12.01  01.12  07.06  06.07

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,891 posts
11,539 battles

I am sure people will work out the date with no issues

Edited by CriMiNaL__
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[CHAOS]
Members
574 posts
2,491 battles
29 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I am sure people will work out the date with no issues

You're right, always best to leave in silly ways for people to screw up :)  

It's a minor thing, but it's also a trivial fix.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,930 posts
2,724 battles

I agree with a lot of what you suggest. 

They could provide a link into the wiki for the items in question.  The problem is that there is a different wiki for each server, and that's a general problem for WG.  Remember that everything is written in Russian and changed through localization to render in other languages.  No local reference is possible, and trust me, localization is a PITA.  I'm sure it drives them to make their description (especially on the Shop pages) as succinct as possible.

I really don't see why they can't do consumables et al. on unpurchased ships, though.   Sigma is an unpublished spec.  It's only known through mining or dev mentions.

[CHAOS]
Members
574 posts
2,491 battles
5 hours ago, Crusin_Custard said:

The year in my neck of the woods is 1/06/2018. You yanks are just back to front.

Do you also write 1 million as 000,000,001?  It's good to have some consistency in endian :Smile_teethhappy:. Pretty much every number in languages read left to right are written with most significant component on the left and decreasing significance to the right. 

Either way, I'm fine with using whatever local convention on localized clients. It can stay the way it is wherever people read dates backwards :Smile-_tongue:

Edited by MarshalSqueez
Emoji support ...

[YORHA]
Members
3,550 posts
6 hours ago, Crusin_Custard said:

The year in my neck of the woods is 1/06/2018. You yanks are just back to front.

So when someone asks what the date is you say "it's the first of June" and not "June first"?

You are a strange and pedantic people.

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
940 posts
7,720 battles

Definitely would like to see the module options on unresearched ships.

In regards to communication, if you must use Twitter or Facebook, could you also communicate via your website?    I don't Tweet, and FB only with my family, so any promotions, contests, codes, missions, etc. won't be read unless you put it ON THE WEBSITE (or these forums), or unless some player screenshots it.

[WOLF7]
Members
10,361 posts
10 hours ago, MarshalSqueez said:

You're right, always best to leave in silly ways for people to screw up :)  

It's a minor thing, but it's also a trivial fix.

You're simply ignoring the fact that we aren't the primary market for this game....

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

#1 I agree with. 2-4 I don't really care. And I agree with #5 as well. The fact that NA is different from the rest of their markets shouldn't be an issue. You know the date, you know the users region, you know (or can easily look up) the region's date format, you then display the date based on the region's format. Or you use one if the packages someone has already written to do this for you. I mean, the developers speak Russian, but we have an American English client to use. It's not like a date format request is that outlandish.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,212 posts
7,198 battles
12 hours ago, MarshalSqueez said:

2KOzTIs.jpg

first number is the day of that month, second number is the month itself, so 13/6 is the 13th of June etc,etc, hope i helped you with that problem

Edited by tcbaker777

[HINON]
Members
2,586 posts
19,175 battles

All very good points. I too have had to go digging for ship sale end dates and what bonuses the signals and camos in the store give, ship stats for unpurchased ships etc.  

• Cool 1

[CHAOS]
Members
574 posts
2,491 battles
7 hours ago, awiggin said:

You're simply ignoring the fact that we aren't the primary market for this game....

Not at all.  Game localization has been a thing for at least 2 decades, and I know the WoWs client is heavily localized meaning the almost all the text fields are setup to be changed based on region/language settings..  The RU or Chinese versions replace almost all  the text with appropriate localized versions.  (I suppose Russian is the default an English is actually getting subbed in, but same idea).  I've even made a mod myself to put the English text strings in the Chinese client by copying in the language pack files the from the NA version.  It would be a trivial change to localize the display of dates and use a format from the language pack instead of a fixed ordering. 

As an aside, I find it hilarious that a suggestion to change the date field to the localized ordering, which really is the most trivial to achieve, and also would be helpful to most players in the region, is the one that's generated the most comments.  :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,995 battles
14 hours ago, JCC45 said:

So when someone asks what the date is you say "it's the first of June" and not "June first"?

We are almost upside down :Smile_ohmy:

[LWC]
Members
36 posts
3,050 battles

Should we add these trivial things that are also elsewhere or take no real effort to add? Naaahhhhhh, why would we want that?

In all seriousness, I think these changes would be very helpful. Not sure why people think the date format bit is pointless... If you think it's pointless because you read it dd/mm/yy then think about if it was default mm/dd/yy,: would you want it changed to make it a little easier to read in that case?

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
17 posts
9,412 battles

First and foremost: NA server is not only the united states. There are a fuckton more countries that play in that server.

I agree with most points except maybe the 5# one. It would be reasonable to use windows or your own computer's date to show them on client(doable imo)

14 hours ago, JCC45 said:

To you bud i ll leave this and lets see who are the "strange" ones(while maybe not that accurate it illustrates the point) :

[YORHA]
Members
3,550 posts
9 hours ago, Carrier_Zuiho said:

To you bud i ll leave this and lets see who are the "strange" ones(while maybe not that accurate it illustrates the point) :

And to you, bud, I reply that, as a Canadian, I am fluent in both Metric and Imperial.  But the metric system has nothing to do with the fact that stating the date as the 12th of June is just plain silly.

"Oh, hi Larry... do you happen to know the date?"

"Why yes, yes I do.  It is the 12th of June".

"Ummmmm... ok.  Do you know the time?"

"Yes.. I am aware of that as well.  It is 14 minutes past the hour of 12:00 noon"

"You don't go on a lot of dates, do you Larry?"

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
10 hours ago, Carrier_Zuiho said:

To you bud i ll leave this and lets see who are the "strange" ones(while maybe not that accurate it illustrates the point) 

Looks to me like the metric system is preventing nations from walking on celestial bodies. :Smile_teethhappy:

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
17 posts
9,412 battles
6 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

And to you, bud, I reply that, as a Canadian, I am fluent in both Metric and Imperial.  But the metric system has nothing to do with the fact that stating the date as the 12th of June is just plain silly.

"Oh, hi Larry... do you happen to know the date?"

"Why yes, yes I do.  It is the 12th of June".

"Ummmmm... ok.  Do you know the time?"

"Yes.. I am aware of that as well.  It is 14 minutes past the hour of 12:00 noon"

"You don't go on a lot of dates, do you Larry?"

Resultado de imagen para date format world map

You are kinda right about date not being linked to the date format, but again, What colour do you see most here? Mr Normal one. 

Don't be an [edited]. There are other countries, just because you use a certain format or system does not make it normal nor the best, just different.

[YORHA]
Members
3,550 posts
Just now, Carrier_Zuiho said:

Resultado de imagen para date format world map

You are kinda right about date not being linked to the date format, but again, What colour do you see most here? Mr Normal one. 

Don't be an [edited]. There are other countries, just because you use a certain format or system does not make it normal nor the best, just different.

Thank-you for confirming my original point.   Carry on strange & pedantic little person.

Sign in to follow this