Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SteelClaw

I have a question for the Battleship players.

42 comments in this topic

Members
924 posts

I see so many Brawler BB with bad dispersion sitting in the back sniping. They miss most of there shots some due to bad aim but many due to bad dispersion. Some of the brawler BB even take more damage when they sit back taking plunging fire which is not what their armor is designed to defend against. My question is if you are going to snipe all the time why play a brawler BB when you should be playing a BB that is more designed for that type of game play?  

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[CUTIE]
Members
378 posts
14,474 battles
7 minutes ago, SteelClaw said:

I see so many Brawler BB with bad dispersion sitting in the back sniping. They miss most of there shots some due to bad aim but many due to bad dispersion. Some of the brawler BB even take more damage when they sit back taking plunging fire which is not what their armor is designed to defend against. My question is if you are going to snipe all the time why play a brawler BB when you should be playing a BB that is more designed for that type of game play?  

Mainly because you can't stop people from selecting a ship and hitting the battle button.

• Cool 6

[INTEL]
Members
7,160 posts
29,770 battles

Also remember potatoes will potate.

"There are too many people who don’t know that they're worse than their own children at spelling!" -- Wikipedia

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
22 minutes ago, SteelClaw said:

Sitting back in a BB is one of the most complained about things in the game. I sure have complained plenty thus I now feel GUILTY. Hence to assuage my grief at being mean so much to azz sitting BBs let me say this! There are plenty of good BB players in the game. These types WIN games. We, as humans, tend to complain but many good BB players are looking around and picking their spot and at times this looks like lazy back line play but they are being crafty. Many of them but not all. It's like chess in a BB. Since I got Scharnhorst I am more hip to BB play but I don't sit much with her cause she shines on the attack and the in close knife fight. But I hereby salute :Smile_honoring: the good BB players.  There...I feel better. Carry on.

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,531 posts

If you pay attention you'd notice the BBs don't brawl until after the cruisers are removed or they are too far to set the BBs on fire.

Getting inside of 15km of just 2 cruisers is a guaranteed BB crisp out of the battle ticket.

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
11,021 posts
16,243 battles
40 minutes ago, SteelClaw said:

My question is if you are going to snipe all the time why play a brawler BB

Never underestimate the power of Human stupidity!

[5D]
Members
2,758 posts
16,699 battles

It's simple OP most newer players don't learn what each BB line is best suited for so they see the range and sit back. Then they come to forums to complain about dispersion, RNG, etc that their BB suffers from.

It's been the meta for quite some time now. Also, throw in that cruiser & DD players don't work in unison with any BB that pushes and it further entrenches this behavior.

The game isn't broken the player base is broken.

• Cool 2

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
1 minute ago, Skyfaller said:

If you pay attention you'd notice the BBs don't brawl until after the cruisers are removed or they are too far to set the BBs on fire.

Getting inside of 15km of just 2 cruisers is a guaranteed BB crisp out of the battle ticket.

Ya.  They get focus fired on. But I think 15km is a bit too far for most BBs to have a lot of impact. Need to be a bit closer IMO.

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
6 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

It's simple OP most newer players don't learn what each BB line is best suited for so they see the range and sit back. Then they come to forums to complain about dispersion, RNG, etc that their BB suffers from.

It's been the meta for quite some time now. Also, throw in that cruiser & DD players don't work in unison with any BB that pushes and it further entrenches this behavior.

Ha. Ya Little Timmy in his spiffy new high tier BB which Daddy bought him has 20+ km range sooooooooooooooooooo this means he sits and shoots at that range just like in the movies. :Smile_facepalm:  Poor little Timmy. Poor team that gets stuck with little Timmy. 

Edited by dmckay

[TNG]
Members
5,159 posts
4 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Ya.  They get focus fired on. But I think 15km is a bit too far for most BBs to have a lot of impact. Need to be a bit closer IMO.

Any closer and their impact will be a detriment to their team because they get glassed down for no reason. This goes for all ships. At the open you keep respectful distances and probe for weakness. You do not get a good win record by trying to brute force with uncoordinated teammates. 

• Cool 2

Members
152 posts
8,653 battles

As one of those that is silly aggressive, I can sort of see why. It bothers me more that, when I look back, the ones behind me are all stacked up behind a rock with no shot. All tiers.

If you advance as a group, with good screens, it seems to be much more effective. Harder to focus fire.

[NBNG]
Members
400 posts
7,247 battles
1 hour ago, SteelClaw said:

as a BB players this irritates me also. German BBs with great secondaries sitting back. I played my Alsace  and was with 2 German BBs. I said in chat, to push up behind our DDs and the cap should be easy. As soon as a enemy BB showed spotted they turned and ran and then sat back and sniped. So many BBs playing the back line and shooting HE . When you question them they put up their spammed Damage through burns, damage that can be healed as soon as burn stops. BBs shooting HE is another b!tch I have. BBs who should be deleting cruiser offering up Boardsides hitting them with HE and the cruiser escaping. HF GL

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,532 posts
3,298 battles
1 hour ago, SteelClaw said:

Some, (hopefully not myself included) of the dumbest people play bbs. They are historical, forgiving, and easy to do well in. All you have to do is aim and shoot. Compared to a dd or support ship, where you have to manage fires, torps, smoke, aa cover, and on and on. 

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,113 posts
5,915 battles

one of the reasons of why most victoryes/defeats are done by DD gameplay,they NEED to get close,high risk high reward.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,702 posts
611 battles

Most victories/defeats are done by DDs because DDs have the best map/objective control in the game. 

As for the question in the OP, which BBs are you talking about? And ask yourself - are they hanging back? Or are they a long way from you because you're 15 knots faster than they are and they never stood a chance of keeping up with the game as it unfolded? 

[MIA-P]
Members
671 posts
6,525 battles

I think we focus on the BBs hiding in the backlines because they're so visible. We often don't think about the BB captain who pushed too early, got focused and sunk in the first 3 minutes of the game. That captain is way more useless to the team than the captain who waits, but because he's out of the game so quickly we hardly have time to notice him. Instead, we blame the cautious, and overall more prudent BB captain for our loss.

The thing is that BBs are the most powerful class in the game. In almost any fair 1v1 engagement, the BB will destroy its enemy with greater firepower while tanking anything that might be thrown at it with thick armour, heals, repairs and a massive health pool. As a mostly-cruiser-main I often think to myself: wow, I'm totally screwed right now, if only I were a BB I would be fine.

But in addition to being the strongest class in the game, BBs are also the class with the least ability to pick their battles. They get detected first, they're slow, they find it hard to disengage from fights, are torpedo magnets and are very difficult to turn around. The result is that while a BB might indeed do better if presented with an identical engagement, most BBs will never be given that opportunity because everyone can see them coming.

Instead, good BB drivers pick their battles. Once they choose to push they will be absolutely committed to it, so it becomes vitally important to pick the absolute best possible moment to push. If no opportunity presents itself then it is always better to wait and keep at least the potential threat of your massive AP alpha on the board, than to mindlessly rush forward and die. This is the essence of BB play: holding the line until a good opportunity presents itself, and only then going in for the kill.

Good BB drivers are absolutely more aggressive, but this is because their skill allows them to recognise more opportunities and exploit smaller opportunities when they are presented. But this is NOT a reason for more average BB captains to push forward when they do not possess the skill or experience to properly exploit an opening. Caution is absolutely a legitimate choice for BB captains to make, and we on the forums need to stop flogging this narrative that anything less than suicidal charges are potato-scrub play that should be shamed off the server.

• Cool 3

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
2 hours ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

I couldn't have said this any better. +100

Beta Testers
1,531 posts
2 hours ago, dmckay said:

You don't get it. A BB that gets within 15km of a cruiser or two is a dead BB. perma-fires and massive HE dps do it. Getting closer is suicide. Losing your BB early or even mid-way through the battle only grants the red team points and removes your damage output from the game.

German BBs which are the best brawlers don't stand a chance. HE does not care about range or angle, all it needs to do is hit to apply its damage.

BBs are devastating are close range yes, but they won't get to that range as long as cruisers and DDs are around.

• Cool 1

Members
612 posts
699 battles
3 hours ago, SteelClaw said:

Because the meta Wargaming's "balance" has created has made attempting to get inside 17km with a Battleship practically suicide the vast majority of the time.  Add in our so-called "teammates" being anything but and I'm more surprised that other players keep expecting us to die for their fire damage counters.

If we're somehow not being bombarded by Greek Fire-spewing shore batteries (I'm told there's ships there, but I call B.S.) we're getting targeted by tidal waves of torpedoes. We know better than to think our own cruisers will do anything that can even be confused for being tangentially related to support or screening, or to hope the destroyers supposedly on our team do anything other than whatever the hell they feel like while complaining about others being able to hurt them, or for CV's to not be sea arty with all that implies, just without the suicide.

So we hang back , most doing so to wait for an opportunity to advance without dying. Then get blamed for doing so by the people that made and reinforced the meta that makes us hang back. Eventually we get tired of it, storm in to earn some creds and XP, and get sent back to port by the things I mentioned above. I'm to the point that getting sunk by an opposing battleship is a novelty.

Edited by Highlord

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

For sure se have many bad players that dont know how to use their ships. But not because a ship is a brawler that it needs to brawl all the time. 

Brawling is most effective at middle to late game, by them teams already lost a few ships and the others might be dispersed around the map, so concentrated fire is not a big issue. Also, you likely know where most of threats are so you can plan your push accordingly. 

So often a brawler os forced to snipe while you wait for a good oportunity to push in a smart way.

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

I run a full secondary build on my Bizmarck, it is my favorite boat. I can chase boats out of caps, go 1 on 1 with any other boat in the game. Lots of time I'm the boat at the tip of the spear. 

But, sometimes the map, the mm or the position of the red team, I run and sit in the back, pushing and being dead doesn't help the team. Sometimes my team eliminates the threats, sometimes I end up alive and by myself at the back

[_-_]
Members
2,114 posts
4 hours ago, alexf24 said:

Also remember potatoes will potate.

"There are too many people who don’t know that they're worse than their own children at spelling!" -- Wikipedia

And the really potent potatoes are potentates!

Members
924 posts
3 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

Most victories/defeats are done by DDs because DDs have the best map/objective control in the game. 

As for the question in the OP, which BBs are you talking about? And ask yourself - are they hanging back? Or are they a long way from you because you're 15 knots faster than they are and they never stood a chance of keeping up with the game as it unfolded? 

I am talking about the ones who you see stay there and stay there and stay there..... you get my point. 

Members
924 posts
35 minutes ago, Xlap said:

For sure se have many bad players that dont know how to use their ships. But not because a ship is a brawler that it needs to brawl all the time. 

Brawling is most effective at middle to late game, by them teams already lost a few ships and the others might be dispersed around the map, so concentrated fire is not a big issue. Also, you likely know where most of threats are so you can plan your push accordingly. 

So often a brawler os forced to snipe while you wait for a good oportunity to push in a smart way.

I understand your point. But i see brawler BB sitting back or even worse hiding even when they have nothing to fear. Enemy DD are dead, the enemy CA are not a major threat anymore, but still they snipe with their brawler BB when they would be much more effective moving up. I guess i just do not understand what they are thinking. 

Sign in to follow this