You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Something to consider when players are in the rear

9 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,987 posts

Call it a "duh" moment... I have them, maybe you do as well? Just playing a match where we were ahead in ships sunk and points, a clear win. Fifty percent of us had at least one kill. On the red team however, 7 out of 10 kills against us was achieved by three ships.And as the timer ran out, only two us remained! At one point towards the last couple minutes, we had a couple of BBs hanging a couple squares below a cap point. I suggested it would be good if they moved up b'cause it was me and a destroyer fighting those red ships. As soon as they started moving up, boom. One was gone. Nearly a full strength BB. Of course when they moved up they didn't put their bow on the reds who could shoot them.

It was then the duh moment hit me. People who play in the backfield are not always camping for damage points. It could be, and i think this is more likely, they aren't confident or skilled enough to move up and engage the reds at even mid-range. So yeah, for me that was a duh moment as I never really considered those in the rear as doing anything other than waiting for the fight to pass so they could sweep in like vultures to finish the battle. 

If that's true, I don't know how they'll ever break out of that mode, because the more they do it the more they will do it. 

tiafyc

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

That's a good point, sometimes those boats in the back disappear really fast when they end up "in front". Not always the case, but something to take note of. 

[PIZZA]
Privateers
973 posts
22,309 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Call it a "duh" moment... I have them, maybe you do as well? Just playing a match where we were ahead in ships sunk and points, a clear win. Fifty percent of us had at least one kill. On the red team however, 7 out of 10 kills against us was achieved by three ships.And as the timer ran out, only two us remained! At one point towards the last couple minutes, we had a couple of BBs hanging a couple squares below a cap point. I suggested it would be good if they moved up b'cause it was me and a destroyer fighting those red ships. As soon as they started moving up, boom. One was gone. Nearly a full strength BB. Of course when they moved up they didn't put their bow on the reds who could shoot them.

It was then the duh moment hit me. People who play in the backfield are not always camping for damage points. It could be, and i think this is more likely, they aren't confident or skilled enough to move up and engage the reds at even mid-range. So yeah, for me that was a duh moment as I never really considered those in the rear as doing anything other than waiting for the fight to pass so they could sweep in like vultures to finish the battle. 

If that's true, I don't know how they'll ever break out of that mode, because the more they do it the more they will do it. 

tiafyc

Very true........is also a reason why a lot lemming train....they survive longer.

[WOLFB]
Members
802 posts
26,560 battles

Well, I'll give you another idea.

I was in a battle yesterday with Mushai on North. ( The map that used to always have 4 caps in a row, But now have two caps "stacked" in opposite spawn sides and the other two caps between the large islands)

At any rate as the battle was on going and we had capped the "2 contended" caps, 2 of us saw that 2 red team ships,

a BB and Donskoi had come around the outside islands to take our "home" cap. So I, in Mushai and another in a Buffalo, went over to towards the cap and engaged and ultimately killed both of those ships.

We were on opposite sides of the two attackers and that's how we won! So the Buffalo, turned back near the middle cap. 

Right after they were DEAD, a DEAD (he happens to be a unicom) came into chat and started with "why do we have a BB near the "xyz" line doing nothing"

He had no idea we had just saved the cap! He had died, looked over the map (Now missing 2 more REDS) and saw no ships near my BB???

We had a very strong advantage by then(after we killed the 2 reds) maybe 5 against 2 so the outcome was not in doubt, and Yes I appeared well out of position. Unless you knew we had just dispatched  2 reds taking our cap!

Once dead Captains often don't see how a situation develops, they only see and then react in chat, to what "appears" when they are dead and can look around!! 

(I know how slow BB's are, and when you are going out of position, in regards to the rest of the battle, But we a significant advantage on the other side of the map, when the Buffalo and I went off to save the cap. If we won and we did that little battle the rest of the team had enough help on the other side)

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
3,532 posts
18,722 battles

Veterans do most of the killing, tyros do most of the dying. Seems to apply in this game too. If you look at the tm score, you note that the winning side typically has the most ships having 1-2 kills to them while the losing side might have some one who got a kraken, but only 1-2 others have gotten a kill. The situation might be reversed, but that's only by a heroic effort by the who got a kraken.

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
41 minutes ago, BaronVonTom said:

Very true........is also a reason why a lot lemming train....they survive longer.

Depends on a lot of factors, but sometimes you haven't got much choice but join the parade, honestly. 

If you're a very 'fleet' dependent ship, you often are at the mercy of your team. This is often what makes the difference between carry factors of various vessels. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,987 posts
27 minutes ago, fbrrhd said:

Once dead Captains often don't see how a situation develops, they only see and then react in chat, to what "appears" when they are dead and can look around!! 

Very true and sometimes, I admit, I ask that most obvious question myself. :fish_palm:

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
914 posts
5,530 battles

I had a match in my Gascogne the other day where a dead player was upset I wouldn't push a cap with a Yamato guarding it. I was using my speed to avoid shots by using my speed to try and make him miss, which I feel as a valid tactic. Even with BBs some ships are tanks and others need to use other methods to survive. Even angling won't save you if the other ship can just overmatch your bow.