You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Lert's state of the onion address

89 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
21,227 posts
14,826 battles

Onion, because layered opinion. Eh? Eh?

YO44DwL.gif

So two years ago when I turned 40 I wrote this thread, and today as I turn 42 I figured I'd post a follow-up addressing the same points and how they've either changed or remained the same, in my opinion.

Point the first, toxicity:

Unfortunately, I feel that toxicity in the game has increased over the past two years. I kinda saw it coming, it's the way of every 'large' online game, as the game ages the playerbase gets more toxic. On the bright side though, it's only increased by a little. I still see a lot of friendly people being polite and helpful. This community is a lot better than the one in WoT, that's common knowledge. It's also better than that of many other online games out there. On the forum if you ask an honest question without raging you'll get honest answers without snark. In matches, I still see people apologizing for accidental team damage, congratulating teammates and even opponents on great shots, thanking eachother for smoke, etc.

So yeah, all in all, though it's gotten a little bit worse (and I know I'm not without blame here either) I'm still happy to be part of this community and hope we can hold off the inevitable descent into a wretched hive of scum and villainy as long as we can. We're a fairly old community in terms of the average age of the community members, so I think we'll be good for some time to come yet.

I mean, I only have to think of this thread to remind me how close knit and friendly this community actually is, compared to others.

Point the second, "I can't do anything":

I think people have started to realize that the difference between WoT and WoWS is that even bottom tier, you can still semi reliably hurt higher tier opponents, unlike in WoT. In this game, an Erie can sink a Yamato. Sure, this won't happen under combat conditions, but fires are a thing. I feel I see less whining about being bottom tier than two years ago, and this pleases me. It might be the change to MM between two years ago and now, where protected MM was extended to tier 4, it might just be the maturity of the community or it might just be me getting a year or two older and more likely to just roll my eyes and move on, but still.

So, well done you.

• Cool 31

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,938 posts
11,177 battles

I still see t8sin t10 games whining quiet often. Meanwhile I'm rejoicing at the fact I get to farm t10 bbs with my Cleveland

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,557 posts
5,666 battles

Happy Birthday Lert. And thank you for reminding us that we are all old farts getting a bit creakier each day. :cap_like:

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
4 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

I still see t8sin t10 games whining quiet often. Meanwhile I'm rejoicing at the fact I get to farm t10 bbs with my Cleveland

Excellent, finally someone else who sees opportunity in being the low tier guy.

All that really changes for me is staying on HE longer than I would with more equal opponents. 

[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,353 posts
4,406 battles

happy birthday, Lert. Thanks for contributing all you do to the community.

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,610 battles

Happy birthday old man-er, cat! :Smile-_tongue:

I agree, that while some toxicity has crept in slowly, by and large we've kept it at bay. It was mid 2016 actually that I really started getting involved in the community myself, and about a year ago found my clan.

The community has still been a great place, with many people I recognize and enjoy conversing with. As well as new people joining and being welcomed into the fold. 

Fair winds and following seas all! :Smile_honoring:

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

It's always amusing when striplings assume the gravity of passing time.

Happy birthday.

• Funny 2

[HINON]
Supertester
21,227 posts
14,826 battles
3 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

striplings

Hey now, I resemble that remark.

Members
300 posts
6,969 battles

You have to give props to WG lots of solid game development has been going on in the past months, they also started to engage the community better.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,227 posts
14,826 battles
1 minute ago, Robinhood_ said:

they also started to engage the community better.

Good point, they really have.

Took them long enough though.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,836 posts
12,054 battles

Happy Birthday Lert.

I hope you're right on the toxicity being only slightly worse, I find it's hard to track as it always feels like isolated incidents - I might have someone deeply unpleasant one game, then chat with a stranger and work together the next.

I think matchmaking is still a button-press issue, and while it's possible to perform it's a game for fun and I feel sympathy with people who don't enjoy being -2 tiers 75% of the time. For me, I don't mind so much any more - I have every T10 and don't keep T8's, or buy them. I don't know if that's the same as maturing.

[SPTR]
Members
20,152 posts
6,051 battles

Hmm.

Well, for the two points, I guess I c ould put my opinions for my experience over the past... Two years? Yeah, two years.

On toxicity, I'm more of a negative Nancy: the game has definitely grown more toxic, and visibly so, such that my former positivity in the game has waned and faded as time passed (though that could very well be a product of my increased activeness in this game). However, it still has to be said: the game is still remarkably positive, and friendly banter while not common isn't rare at all. I've grown and matured  (at which some people here would say: ha!) with the game, with some people (especially KTcraft) contributing to make me better not just in the game but in person as well. For me, many of the friendships I've made in the game and especially on the forums have faded in some ways, some worse than others, but some still endure and new ones have been made, and divisions are still as enjoyable as ever. 

As for the second point: while that has changed for the better over the years, it's been replaced by other problems which plague the game, highly controversial decisions that have left the community divided: it wasn't so long ago when "Good HE shells for Battleships" was but a joke shared between friends. Nevertheless: the game has improved in some ways, and for the majority of ships are balanced better than before, with outliers while significant still a minority, with the problems concentrated in many of the core mechanics and game satisfaction than anything else. 

Sooo... Happy birthday, Lert, and may all of you continue to be happy playing this game. 

:fish_happy:

Edit: yep, they improved with engaging with the community, can't lie about that. Miss you, Nikopower. The new mods are doing superb, though.

Edited by khaenn35
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
21,227 posts
14,826 battles
Just now, mofton said:

I don't know if that's the same as maturing.

If that's your way of dealing and you feel better for it, then yeah, I'd call that part of maturing. You saw a problem and found your own solution that works for you. If that's not mature, what is?

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
5,164 battles

Happy birthday!

yeah stat shaming is my complaint. 

Guys I have a new account on the European server Tigershark_55555

last I checked  it was in the great player category and if I keep playing it the way I have been I will easily become unicum. But doing it the correct way is really boring and not fun at all. But if you really want to see a stat that reflects my current skill that account has it.

• Boring 1

[WAG]
Members
1,725 posts
9,874 battles

.... I was born a day before ( and a number of years!)  you....  you youngsters helping us old farts have a good time is appreciated.....

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
176 posts
4,640 battles

Happy Birthday Lert!.  I enjoy your posts and positive contribution to our crew.

[BEARS]
Members
256 posts
8,266 battles

as far as "toxicity" rarely do people have anything to say when people are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

doing the right thing or doing what youre supposed to do is expected and is kind of the default setting for life...its when people screw up that "toxicity" manifests.

say for instance  news reports about cops....the media focuses on the bad things cops do...but then again thats totally subjective because in he last 5 years or so shooting armed men shooting at cops is bad behavior now. but compare the negative media reports about police to the positive news reports about police.....when police are doing their jobs, it s not news.....

same as warships...when cruisers are screening for dds, when dds are taking caps...its not news so to speak...but when dds are avoiding caps and the cruisers are sniping at max range and definitely out of radar range...things get "toxic"

where did this whole "toxicity" thing come from,  is it gamergate related?