Heathen3531

Radar

11 comments in this topic

[YARR]
Members
4 posts
3,413 battles

Maybe it's just the newness of the new US Cruisers, maybe it's just poor luck. But regardless of why, I feel that I need to say this:

The radar mechanic has got to change. Since the last patch, I have seen a huge uptick of radar ships in T7 and above. While I am able to play something other than destroyers, and radar doesn't affect me too much, I know some players who play exclusively in destroyers, and cannot escape radar. In reality radar cannot go through an island, or any land mass for that matter. I think the radar mechanic needs to be revamped to compensate for that.

I know that many of the ships are new, and this changed the meta of the game. However, when I do play destroyers, basically anything T8 and above, I am unable to play to the strengths of the ship class.

If there are any suggestions on how to deal with the new meta, aside from running from the fight, I am open to suggestions. But I already try to escape the radar range as soon as I am detected, and am not always successful. If I am successful, I am usually nearly dead. Who agrees with me that the radar mechanic needs to be revamped, or destroyers should be changed in order to compensate for the many cruisers that have radar since the last patch?

[SPTR]
Members
20,152 posts
6,051 battles

While I think Radar needs revamping, you won't be seeing a change for some time. A lot of this is due to the novelty of the new USN CAs and soon the CLs, and in a few months it will drop off to normal. Give it time. 

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,634 posts
7,637 battles
35 minutes ago, Heathen3531 said:

In reality radar cannot go through an island, or any land mass for that matter.

You can like or dislike the Radar mechanics as much as you want, but arguing with realism is a rather bad move, given how many things are ahistorical, including things that now benefit the Destroyer.

For example Radar was realistically not a time-limited Consumable, you would switch it on for the entire battle.

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,757 posts
6,674 battles

I do think as well that radar needs some tweaking. On the other hand it is difficult to get a good discussion about this.

Like cutting down the tier 10 US radar to 35 seconds and/or radar not being able to go through land.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[ANKER]
Members
243 posts
5,107 battles
51 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

You can like or dislike the Radar mechanics as much as you want, but arguing with realism is a rather bad move, given how many things are ahistorical, including things that now benefit the Destroyer.

For example Radar was realistically not a time-limited Consumable, you would switch it on for the entire battle.

Imagine all cruisers thus fitted having permanent 7km radar.
Imagine battleships with a Radar GFCS consumable that gives them improved accuracy while active. 
I mean, as it is, that's it. Radar didn't go through mountains, but it also had over 20km range and was usually constantly active. 
It's a fine tradeoff imo.

• Cool 2

[YARR]
Members
4 posts
3,413 battles
4 hours ago, Seniorious said:

Imagine all cruisers thus fitted having permanent 7km radar.
Imagine battleships with a Radar GFCS consumable that gives them improved accuracy while active. 
I mean, as it is, that's it. Radar didn't go through mountains, but it also had over 20km range and was usually constantly active. 
It's a fine tradeoff imo.

I understand your point, but are there any suggestions to combat radar as a destroyer rather than just run and hide? I've seen some cases recently where  a destroyer will do that, but then they spend the rest of the match, if they survive, chasing the battle and coming in among the last positions of the team.

[YARR]
Members
4 posts
3,413 battles
4 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I do think as well that radar needs some tweaking. On the other hand it is difficult to get a good discussion about this.

Like cutting down the tier 10 US radar to 35 seconds and/or radar not being able to go through land.

That's a viable option. The biggest issue is how to fight radar with a destroyer. And there are so many radar capable ships out there that above T7 it's hard to enjoy the game as a DD.

[YARR]
Members
4 posts
3,413 battles
5 hours ago, khaenn35 said:

While I think Radar needs revamping, you won't be seeing a change for some time. A lot of this is due to the novelty of the new USN CAs and soon the CLs, and in a few months it will drop off to normal. Give it time. 

Thank you for that input, it reminds me of the panasian dds, which were popular for a few weeks, then they basically went away.

[-AA-]
Members
1,757 posts
6,674 battles
23 minutes ago, Heathen3531 said:

That's a viable option. The biggest issue is how to fight radar with a destroyer. And there are so many radar capable ships out there that above T7 it's hard to enjoy the game as a DD.

Enjoy... I can survive with my DDs in the higher tiers. I even often have fun, because the difficulty. However the rewards are very low.

On the other hand the fun dissapears as soon as the room is filled with a CV. At that point I am like; 4 radar ships and a carrier. Yolo. 

Edited by LemonadeWarrior
  • Cool 1

[ANKER]
Members
243 posts
5,107 battles
2 hours ago, Heathen3531 said:

I understand your point, but are there any suggestions to combat radar as a destroyer rather than just run and hide? I've seen some cases recently where  a destroyer will do that, but then they spend the rest of the match, if they survive, chasing the battle and coming in among the last positions of the team.

Honestly I'm more of a BB/CA player, my favorite ships being the Prinz Eugen, Moskva, Baltimore, Iowa, and Bismarck..

I do play a lot of Akizuki too though, and I'm at the Fletcher in the USN tree. Usually if radar is unavoidable, you have to focus on blocking their ability to fire on you rather than focusing on getting out of range, and that means you need to have cover that will block their line of sight so shells cannot hit you period. Now of course, there are many times where there is no hard cover and for that, you'll just have to work around it by 'baiting' the radar, leaving the area ASAP, and then moving back in once it's ended. Radar certainly is an insanely powerful tool, and my Moskva with the extended duration mod has 11.7km radar range and it lasts over 30 seconds, with a reload in the 10s range. Much of the game is 'Anti-DD' and WG is trying to change that, but when no gimmick is available that fits, they like to slap on radar.
My typical strategy is outline who are the radars, and avoid them. If I see them, call them out with the F3 chat command and leave. Look for openings, gaps, and try to learn what the radar ranges are of the ships.  

[CIAO]
Members
43 posts
19,603 battles

I taught electronics and was a technical writer at the Army Intel Center and Schools, Fort Devens, Massachusetts  and am appalled at Wargaming's boasting all the time of the Historical and Technical Accuracy they have incorporated into WOWS and yet have the audacity to introduce totally inaccurate  mechanics into the game in the form of Radar, Hydroacoustics, and Smoke Screens and ignore the mountain of information available on Waveform Propagation inherently necessary to replicate real life capabilities of radar and hydro into the game. Oh sure... I love playing DDs, But Radar cannot see through an island or through a larger vessel screening a DD behind it; and likewise Hydroacoustics cannot see around an island or through a larger vessel and see any smaller ship with a lesser draft or shorter hull behind it... But the game mechanics not only allow the player using these two overpowered  fictional representations to do this without fail, but also permit them to PERFECTLY IDENTIFY the vessel that should be hidden, when at best they should be only able to receive scattered reflections and maybe have a hint that something is there.

Wargaming states they do this for balance purposes... Well here is my view on that!!! Any ship with a smoke generator also receives a FICTIONAL overpowered consumable. During a cyclone with stronger winds as the storm reaches maximum strength, the smoke from any source should be dissipated more and more  and render the effectiveness of it as being less and less until the peak of the storm and then become more effective again as the storm dissipates.

Also... It is the detection range of ships that should be affected by the storms, and not the view range!!! Any ship with a surface detection range of 16km or more receives a 50+% bonus to it's detection range when visibility is reduced to 8km, whereas any ship with a surface detection range of 8km  or less receives a ZERO PERCENT bonus to it's detection range. THIS DEFIES ALL COMMON SENSE WITH REGARD TO BOTH THE SMOKE AND THE DETECTION RANGES. Wargaming has introduced cyclones in the truest form of the eye of the storm. When at cyclone maximum reduced visibility, we have CRYSTAL CLEAR SKIES out to the eye wall at 8km where visibility instantly reduces to zero percent for anything beyond that!!! The wind gusts sounds would indicate the ship is not in the eye itself but the visibility ranges state otherwise, and on top of that... every ship on the map is centered perfectly in the eye of the cyclone for visibility to be limited to 8km in all directions for each of them!!!

Any ship that is harder to spot during clear skies, should be that much harder to spot during stormy weather!

Balance purposes???? I'll give you balance... Take away Radar and Hydro's capability to see through EVERYTHING and take away a smoke screen's effectiveness with it's ability to remain intact and perfectly stationary during the high winds of a storm and you will balance these consumable advantages to be more in keeping with REAL LIFE and add a huge realistic dynamic to the strategies of when and where to use each of them in game and give all players some screening defense against them which to date; nobody has been given any defense against any of these overpowered mechanics

Edited by StallingForTime
clarification